Author

Topic: [XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency - page 916. (Read 4670673 times)

legendary
Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198
I tried five times to create a wallet, but in each case I got at least two out of 13 words being identical and in one case (out of 5) i got three identical words.
If it uses the dictionary and then randomizes, the chance of this happening is so miniscule as to be negligible.
In my opinion, it means that wallet creation does not work properly (at least at this moment).

In short, no.

1. The position of each word matters. The same word in a different position has a different value.

2. You're seeing the birthday problem (higher than expected likelihood of some match in the set), and no it does not affect security.

3. The last word doesn't count. It is a checksum.
legendary
Activity: 1260
Merit: 1008
I am not sure that wallets that mymonero.com currently creates are safe against hacking.
Example: I tried five times to create a wallet, but in each case I got at least two out of 13 words being identical and in one case (out of 5) i got three identical words.
If it uses the dictionary and then randomizes, the chance of this happening is so miniscule as to be negligible.
In my opinion, it means that wallet creation does not work properly (at least at this moment).

My question to developers-why is this happening?

Checksum.

please explain how two words (or even three) out of 13 could be the same, hopefully with a bit more detail.

If you want to figure out how the mymonero word seed thing works, go back to the bitcoin Electrum wallet, which is what mymonero is based on (I'm 87% sure this is right)

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/why-you-cannot-enter-an-arbitrary-seed-in-electrum-153990

https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1retxr/psa_using_electrum_with_a_12_word_seed_is_so_much/

http://bitcoin.stackexchange.com/questions/22611/is-electrum-cryptographically-secure

that was me googling.
legendary
Activity: 3892
Merit: 4331
I am not sure that wallets that mymonero.com currently creates are safe against hacking.
Example: I tried five times to create a wallet, but in each case I got at least two out of 13 words being identical and in one case (out of 5) i got three identical words.

Checksum.

please explain how two words (or even three) out of 13 could be the same, hopefully with a bit more detail.

there is always 2 repeated words, I never got a seed with 3. maybe you are lucky, ever tried to crack satoshi's addresses?

too bad I did not write that seed with three identical words down-just for memories
seeing two identical words makes it a bit spooky, but IF it is what it supposed to be, fine.
Activity: 795
Merit: 514
Adding the payment ID with checksum seems fairly simple. I went and created a test address just now:

Code:
Standard Address: 44sKiMHpNjRivdd2NQUyViGYZy4wbJ9L9KhFUaqSSE6JQP9LLbxL9tSikwrhYTRu3x2zKR28txuEc3zSGPduQ9byMUKoz6m
Payment ID: feedfeedfeedfeedfeedfeedfeedfeedfeedfeedfeedfeedfeedfeedfeedfeed

Code:
Integrated Address: 44sKiMHpNjRivdd2NQUyViGYZy4wbJ9L9KhFUaqSSE6JQP9LLbxL9tSikwrhYTRu3x2zKR28txuEc3zSGPduQ9byXSb563RKvyBgorjsFGwyx9gorjsFGwyx9gorjsFGwyx9TpPbbCy

What I did:

Instead of the standard hex format - ('12' network byte) + (public spend key 64 digits) + (public view key 64 digits) + (checksum 8 digits) - I stripped the checksum and appended the payment ID, then recalculated and appended the new checksum. This creates a 101 byte address instead of the standard 69 byte, and 139 "Public Address" characters vs 95 standard.

cnBase58 --> hex the above "Integrated Address" and you get (separated for clarity):
Code:
12 55a1e49673f5a8faa6ba4f942585695ceee5c7522496be6fc38d3f09905e3f8b ca6313deac11aff9a7241e7095863b0be3099d50d7a0cd11e0adbcf4990e64b5 feedfeedfeedfeedfeedfeedfeedfeedfeedfeedfeedfeedfeedfeedfeedfeed b1d0950e

The code just needs to check for length to determine the type. Alternatively, (I don't know what all the other cryptonotes are using) the network byte could be changed to 0x13 or something for the "Integrated Address".

I am going to increase my portion of the bounty to 200 XMR to whoever wants to implement this in the next 4 weeks.

That brings the total bounty to ~450 XMR. Any takers?
Activity: 350
Merit: 250

Checksum.

there is always 2 repeated words, I never got a seed with 3. maybe you are lucky, ever tried to crack satoshi's addresses?
legendary

Checksum.

legendary
Activity: 3766
Merit: 5146
Whimsical Pants

Checksum.
legendary
Did you guys here? I'm a DEV NOW! I've been anointed the title of Monero Dev by the community:

Monero's dev to do list this year ~ FluffyPony, GingerAle and Smooth

1. Changing our copied GUI wallet color from RED to BLUE.
2. Create once or twice a week a thread about EVAN even though we have starting problems just like every other coin did.
3. We Cry"p"to about it in forums.
4. Wait for another coin like Byte to coin from or actually for Byte to do something new and we change colors maybe?
5. THIS IS IMPORTANT let's all pray that monero investors don't get mad at us and ask for a newer team to actually do some work.
6. Hope their investors don't do what OTOH did and moving on with DASH.

BOW BEFORE MY AWESOME DEVNESS.

It doesn't take much to move up in this cryptoworld, does it?
legendary

were they in the same order? i.e., were the words in the same exact location in the seed?

13^13 = 302875106592253
legendary
I tried five times to create a wallet, but in each case I got at least two out of 13 words being identical and in one case (out of 5) i got three identical words.

Activity: 106
Merit: 10
Five times i drove through Belgium, five times it rained. It's raining there... go fluffy, bring 'em poor greylanders some Light!  Cool
Activity: 42
Merit: 0
I have a question: if I make a donation for the development of Monero, how do you know who sent it? (I'd like my name to appear in the Community hall of fame.)

You can send it with a payment ID you make up, and then let cAPSLOCK know what the payment ID was. Or just tell him before you send the donation, and then let him know the transaction ID (which we will confirm for him).

Thanks fluffypony, I will send a message to cAPSLOCK with the payment ID. Hopefully I will soon join the Supporters with a Bale of High Quality Hygiene Paper  Cheesy.
Activity: 350
Merit: 250
You're correct. Only retards take stupid-looking selfies and post them on the official thread hours before a conference. Who's going to take him seriously ?!

I'm having fun and enjoying myself, you should try it sometime:)

PS. Wrote you a limerick:

There once was a troll known as Primer
Whose insults were simply to-die-fer
It's a snap being mean
When you're behind a screen
And in mom's basement you're a resider

A view from mom's basement : http://imgur.com/i2Vy6LU

Monero is not going anywhere with you at the helm... I can tell a loser from afar.

you are not interested in helping Monero anyway whatever, posing like you could do better than the current team when anyone can contribute, you just want fame, and you got one.
Activity: 644
Merit: 502
Knock 'em dead, fluffy!

(it's an expression, don't actually render anyone lifeless, unless primmer is there... & we know he is brain dead already anyway)

((kindergarten primmer, if you read this, whatever youse do, don't jump out a window, that would break our hearts))
donator
Activity: 1274
Merit: 1060
GetMonero.org / MyMonero.com
For clarification, if we're suggesting to users what files are critical for backups, it's these, correct?

wallet.bin
wallet.bin.address.txt
wallet.bin.keys

All of the others files can be reconstructed, but the wallet* files are the most important?

You only need the .keys file, everything else can be discarded.

Also the .keys file doesn't change with ongoing use, and is encrypted with your wallet password, so you only need to back it up when you create the wallet:)
donator
Activity: 1274
Merit: 1060
GetMonero.org / MyMonero.com
I have a question: if I make a donation for the development of Monero, how do you know who sent it? (I'd like my name to appear in the Community hall of fame.)

You can send it with a payment ID you make up, and then let cAPSLOCK know what the payment ID was. Or just tell him before you send the donation, and then let him know the transaction ID (which we will confirm for him).
Activity: 201
Merit: 100
For clarification, if we're suggesting to users what files are critical for backups, it's these, correct?

wallet.bin
wallet.bin.address.txt
wallet.bin.keys

All of the others files can be reconstructed, but the wallet* files are the most important?
Activity: 42
Merit: 0
legendary
Activity: 1596
Merit: 1030
Sine secretum non libertas
Activity: 672
Merit: 500
Indeed, the selfis looking very unpofessional

but your comments are so very professional  Cheesy

Fluffy is a cool chap working on an open source project. He is not a business man CEO trying to sell you a product. He can look like whatever he wants. Primer has done nothing for the project sitting in his office in a high rise building, other than showing of his mental capability
Jump to: