Author

Topic: [XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency - page 987. (Read 4670673 times)

legendary
Activity: 1260
Merit: 1008
AND this here is the Crux on my question. MyMonero can Lock or remove access to those funds that were created with the key on their site. Now while some may think this is compromising of a trust-less system (it is) By generating a Key with the simple wallet first will bypass this as you guys have affirmed.

So now that this has all been fleshed out in my mind, here is my thought.
MyMonero can be used as an Escrow system where the Funds can be locked. Correct?

Create a wallet and a second login user for depositor (Site would have to guarantee wallet was created through site).

No because the code to restore a MyMonero wallet elsewhere first of all rather trivial and second of all already implemented in some github branch somewhere (just not merged to master yet)

So it would be quite insecure to rely on not being able to access those funds.
Ahh, thx Smooth looked like an easy change to add an automated XMR escrow page.

Hmmm
What about if both parties received part of the seed.

I mapped out a escrow system that would essentially harness the power of payment IDs... well, its a multisig

https://forum.getmonero.org/6/ideas/220/good-enough-multisig-wallet

legendary
Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198
AND this here is the Crux on my question. MyMonero can Lock or remove access to those funds that were created with the key on their site. Now while some may think this is compromising of a trust-less system (it is) By generating a Key with the simple wallet first will bypass this as you guys have affirmed.

MyMonero can be used as an Escrow system where the Funds can be locked. Correct?

Create a wallet and a second login user for depositor (Site would have to guarantee wallet was created through site).

No because the code to restore a MyMonero wallet elsewhere first of all rather trivial and second of all already implemented in some github branch somewhere (just not merged to master yet)

Hmmm

Something that that could work, if it were seen as useful enough. In that case only both parties together would be able to retrieve the funds. I don't know if that is useful but it's certainly possible.

legendary
Activity: 3836
Merit: 4969
Doomed to see the future and unable to prevent it

Hmmm
legendary
Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

legendary

Can the funds/and or account on Mymonero.com be locked or removed/destroyed by Mymonero.com Admin? If indeed I created the account there.

You guys may see where I'm going with this but maybe not.

no they cant. they have your viewkey which means they are able to see your transactions.
but they cant "destroy" or steal your funds as they never have your spent-key (just like blockchain.info)

I have a question about MyMonero.com:

There is no way for me to get my coins from an account created there unless I send them from that account correct?

Yes, correct. As of today, If you created your account there, then you can only access your funds using MyMonero. At some point you may be able to import your keys from MyMonero in simplewallet, but that's not possible today.

On the other hand, what you can do right now is create a new wallet with simplewallet, login to MyMonero with your seed from simplewallet. Tell MyMonero to NOT import your previous transactions. Login to your original MyMonero account and transfer your funds to your new account created with simplewallet seed. That way you'll be able to use that new wallet with either MyMonero or simplewallet or any of the available GUI wallets (that rely on simplewallet).

Thank you, I wanted to make sure before I followed the line of thinking I was on. Now my second question is:

Can the funds/and or account on Mymonero.com be locked or removed/destroyed by Mymonero.com Admin? If indeed I created the account there.

There is no way for me to get my coins from an account created there unless I send them from that account correct?

Yes, correct. As of today, If you created your account there, then you can only access your funds using MyMonero. At some point you may be able to import your keys from MyMonero in simplewallet, but that's not possible today.

On the other hand, what you can do right now is create a new wallet with simplewallet, login to MyMonero with your seed from simplewallet. Tell MyMonero to NOT import your previous transactions. Login to your original MyMonero account and transfer your funds to your new account created with simplewallet seed. That way you'll be able to use that new wallet with either MyMonero or simplewallet or any of the available GUI wallets (that rely on simplewallet).

Thank you, I wanted to make sure before I followed the line of thinking I was on. Now my second question is:

They can't touch your funds. But if for any reason MyMonero becomes unavailable and you created your account over there, then you wouldn't be able to access your funds until someone implements a way to import your keys from MyMonero into simplewallet, or until MyMonero comes back online. That wouldn't be the case if you login with a seed from simplewallet into MyMonero.

This is untrue. If you use MyMonero, just backup your viewkey and spendkey, and you will always be able to recover your funds.

This is untrue. If you use MyMonero, just backup your viewkey and spendkey, and you will always be able to recover your funds.
They can't touch your funds. But if for any reason MyMonero becomes unavailable and you created your account over there, then you wouldn't be able to access your funds until someone implements a way to import your keys from MyMonero into simplewallet, or until MyMonero comes back online. That wouldn't be the case if you login with a seed from simplewallet into MyMonero.

Yes, but right now only through MyMonero implementation, or am I wrong?

Second user added by wallet creator allowed to release (this would be the depositor)
Wallet funded by added second account (which has no clue of seed) only a unlock passphrase
User releases Lock when goods received.

A semi trustless system as the MyMonero admin is trusted in this case. No different than using Admin (Fluffy right?) as an escrow only his involvement will not be needed except to handle disputes.

Activity: 70
Merit: 10
https://monerohash.com
anyone know why moneroclub.com is off??

Ask atrides

It's been down for at least a couple of days.

Yes, but right now only through MyMonero implementation, or am I wrong?
Activity: 672
Merit: 500
anyone know why moneroclub.com is off??

Ask atrides
Activity: 795
Merit: 514

Activity: 252
Merit: 251

no they cant. they have your viewkey which means they are able to see your transactions.
but they cant "destroy" or steal your funds as they never have your spent-key (just like blockchain.info)
legendary

legendary
Is XMR CPU mining worth the cost of electricity to do?

proper thread:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=653467.620

and here you go.

http://en.bitmakler.com/Monero___mining

THE POWER OF GOOGLE!

the last unknown is the hashrate your CPU will get. There's not a really good source of information for this. There was a google doc floating around, but its validity was in question at some point. Core i7's can get 200 - 250 h/s, those AMD GPU in the CPU can get I think around 400.
Activity: 442
Merit: 250
Found Lost beach - quiet now
Is XMR CPU mining worth the cost of electricity to do?
legendary
Activity: 1176
Merit: 1015

Someone will have to correct me if I am wrong.

As I understand it, now (or eventually) you'll be able to load your MyMonero key into the wallet, or the GUI wallet, and you can send from there.

Think of it like this: The account is just that key, it can be loaded into MyMonero or a local wallet.

The key is the wallet, and whatever software can read that key can send the Monero in that key/account.

Now if I am wrong, please correct me!

Thanks!
legendary

I don't understand.
legendary

Activity: 644
Merit: 502
Monero Price rises again after a sharp fall down to 0.003 BTC

Cool.

What is interesting to me is that, due to BTC fluctuations, XMR has been sitting at $0.82 USD for several days now.
https://moneropric.es/
Jump to: