Pages:
Author

Topic: XMR vs DRK - page 36. (Read 69755 times)

Activity: 112
Merit: 10
March 27, 2015, 07:13:52 PM
I find it odd that you make assumptions of things like all masternode users using cold wallets instead of hot wallets, and that all masternode owners encrypt their wallets. My acquaintances that even use Bitcoin, do not encrypt or set a password for their wallets.

If you're going to say things that are optional and misrepresent them as fact, then there's no point responding to you.

Dude are you absolutely fucking serious?

You think someone is going to learn how to set up a masternode, put 1,000 DASH in a hot wallet on it and leave it unencrypted with no backups?

Activity: 504
Merit: 500
eidoo wallet
March 27, 2015, 07:12:04 PM

If the server the masternode was hosted on was compromised and the 1k in the hot wallet, then there'd be no moving the node.

Yes there would. You'd just send the coins somewhere else, then start again.

Or are you talking about a masternode owner has no backup of his wallet or private keys? Cheesy

It's like a hacker getting someone's bitcoin wallet and saying that the original owner of the bitcoin wallet has a chance of getting his coins back.

Even if he has a backup, if the server with the node with 1k in the hot wallet's being hosted on is compromised, then theres practically no chance of them just sending the coins somewhere else(The attacker would send it to their wallet).

I dont know the % of users that have their coins in cold or hot wallets, so this is all speculation on both sides though.

So now you're assuming that the hacker has brute-forced the wallet encryption key on the rare masternode he was lucky to find with a hot wallet?

interesting assumptions there dude.

I find it odd that you make assumptions of things like all masternode users using cold wallets instead of hot wallets, and that all masternode owners encrypt their wallets. My acquaintances that even use Bitcoin, do not encrypt or set a password for their wallets.

If you're going to say things that are optional and misrepresent them as fact, then there's no point responding to you.

It is optional to set a password for your masternode hot wallet

It is optional to place your 1k coins in a cold wallet

So what you've been saying has no backing.
Activity: 615
Merit: 501
March 27, 2015, 07:10:30 PM
DASH has anonymity ADDED as a FEATURE.

XMR has anonymity BUILT-IN TO THE PROTOCOL as a FUNCTION.

So next time, if anyone asks which coin is more "anonymous", I think you guys have an answer right here.
There are cases where anonymity can't or won't be used. Think about it.

No one stops you from promoting xmr on darkmarkets or wherever. Go ahead
eidoo wallet
March 27, 2015, 07:07:37 PM
Even if he has a backup, if the server the node with 1k in the hot wallet's being hosted on is compromised, then theres practically no chance of them just sending the coins somewhere else(The attacker would send it to their wallet).

I'm out.  This "discussion" is going nowhere.  What's the point of trying to discuss issues with people who have no clue.

If the coins are held on the masternode and not a cold wallet, that masternode isnt reappearing anywhere. The gov can just take control of the servers the masternodes are hosted on.

Coins are stored in cold wallets.  Nothing on the servers to take.

Dont lie please. Cold wallet storage is optional, most masternodes probably still have the 1k dark in the hot wallets.
March 27, 2015, 07:07:07 PM

If the server the masternode was hosted on was compromised and the 1k in the hot wallet, then there'd be no moving the node.

Or are you talking about a masternode owner has no backup of his wallet or private keys? Cheesy

It's like a hacker getting someone's bitcoin wallet and saying that the original owner of the bitcoin wallet has a chance of getting his coins back.

Even if he has a backup, if the server with the node with 1k in the hot wallet's being hosted on is compromised, then theres practically no chance of them just sending the coins somewhere else(The attacker would send it to their wallet).

I dont know the % of users that have their coins in cold or hot wallets, so this is all speculation on both sides though.

So now you're assuming that the hacker has brute-forced the wallet encryption key on the rare masternode he was lucky to find with a hot wallet?

interesting assumptions there dude.
Activity: 671
March 27, 2015, 07:06:22 PM
Even if he has a backup, if the server the node with 1k in the hot wallet's being hosted on is compromised, then theres practically no chance of them just sending the coins somewhere else(The attacker would send it to their wallet).

I'm out.  This "discussion" is going nowhere.  What's the point of trying to discuss issues with people who have no clue.
March 27, 2015, 07:05:39 PM

So next time, if anyone asks which coin is more "anonymous", I think you guys have an answer right here.

Yeah maybe, but is the question of which coins are 'more anonymous' the question people need to ask?

What about the question of which coins are fit-for-purpose and have useful features that people want to use?
eidoo wallet
March 27, 2015, 07:05:21 PM

You'd must be holding the 1k vin on the same server who's running the daemon. Almost no one (if not on one) is doing it, cause it is extremely stupid. Can't prove it tho

Yea thats what I meant, just speculation truly.
legendary
Activity: 1092
Merit: 1001
March 27, 2015, 07:04:47 PM

You'd must be holding the 1k vin on the same server who's running the daemon. Almost no one (if not on one) is doing it, cause it is extremely stupid. Can't prove it tho
eidoo wallet
March 27, 2015, 07:03:10 PM

March 27, 2015, 07:02:54 PM
Waving your hands around doesn't counter Drak's credibility.

Drak is a reputable member of the BTC community.  You and Masternode are not.

Drak's accusations are disconcerting, to say the least, and put the supposed "oopsy" mine in a new light.

OK well I suggest we stick to reasonable XMR vs DRK debate in here, rather than hearsay, conjecture and unsubstantiated accusations. I'm sure there are other threads for that.
legendary
Activity: 1050
Merit: 1000
March 27, 2015, 07:01:46 PM

Activity: 671
March 27, 2015, 07:01:04 PM

Guess you've never backed up a wallet.
legendary
Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072
Crypto is the separation of Power and State.
March 27, 2015, 07:00:20 PM
Well it's disappointing to get up this morning and find the thread only talking about 'instamine'. I realise that DASH opponents see good reason to keep this going, but I also think it's a topic that's been done to absolute death with every possible angle having been explored on these forums.

Endless re-iteration is not a characteristic of reasonable debate. In a formal debate both sides generally have a set time to state their case on a topic, after which it would be closed and those witnessing the debate would be left to make up their minds.

Both sides have had endless opportunity to state their 'Instamine' case, so at least in this thread we should close the topic and keep things moving with fresh or unexplored aspects of DASH vs XMR.

New evidence has come to light, and we must in that context reconsider the instamine issue.

VIA coredev Drak has identified THE DARKCOIN FOUNDATION's CEO, Ed Moncadas (aka Masternode), as an insider trader and extortionist with a shady background in gambling and altcoin pumping.

This changes our former good-faith assumptions about the instamine.

Before we could with some confidence attribute to incompetence what others may uncharitably attribute to malice.

In the old narrative, the instamine was actually a serendipitous little oopsy-mine, just part of the shambling shit-show that was Darkcoin's launch.

In the new post-Drak revelation story, the instamine becomes part of a larger pattern and continuing practice of fraud.

now I should know better than to reply to you, but that is a highly dubious accusation....i.e. a massive load of hairy old bollocks.

Waving your hands around doesn't counter Drak's credibility.

Drak is a reputable member of the BTC community.  You and Masternode are not.

Drak's accusations are disconcerting, to say the least, and put the supposed "oopsy" mine in a new light.
March 27, 2015, 07:00:10 PM

eidoo wallet
March 27, 2015, 06:59:05 PM
If the coins are held on the masternode and not a cold wallet, that masternode isnt reappearing anywhere. The gov can just take control of the servers the masternodes are hosted on.

Coins are stored in cold wallets.  Nothing on the servers to take.

Dont lie please. Cold wallet storage is optional, most masternodes probably still have the 1k dark in the hot wallets.

ALL the how-to guides use hot/cold.  I'd be willing to wager that there are fewer than 10 "hot" nodes.  Tough to prove though.

Anyway, even with a hot wallet what's to stop you moving the node? You'd just send the coins somewhere else and start again.

legendary
Activity: 1092
Merit: 1001
March 27, 2015, 06:49:13 PM
https://dashtalk.org/threads/masternode-on-raspberry-pi-2-model-b.4083/

The distribuition of the nodes across the word will get better day by day.
March 27, 2015, 06:45:40 PM

Coins are stored in cold wallets.  Nothing on the servers to take.

ALL the how-to guides use hot/cold.  I'd be willing to wager that there are fewer than 10 "hot" nodes.  Tough to prove though.

Anyway, even with a hot wallet what's to stop you moving the node? You'd just send the coins somewhere else and start again.
eidoo wallet
March 27, 2015, 06:45:23 PM

Coins are stored in cold wallets.  Nothing on the servers to take.

ALL the how-to guides use hot/cold.  I'd be willing to wager that there are fewer than 10 "hot" nodes.  Tough to prove though.

This was your statement, "Coins are stored in cold wallets.  Nothing on the servers to take", your statement was phrased in the way that suggested all coins were on cold wallets, which isn't true. You were wrong.
Activity: 644
Merit: 502
March 27, 2015, 06:45:15 PM
Can we please chill with the HUGE quotation segments in this thread?
Pages:
Jump to: