Pages:
Author

Topic: XMR vs DRK - page 40. (Read 69755 times)

legendary
Activity: 1722
Merit: 1217
March 27, 2015, 02:53:01 PM
Extremely big, yes.

I was too slow with my edit so I will repost here:
----------------------------
Hypothetical Situation:

Coffee shop owner:  "OK, that'll be .7865 DASH please.  My address is Xkh65Rfk8...
Me:  "OK, sent."

Coffee shop owner checks his wallet and .7865 DASH appear.

Is his response A) "Thank you, come again" or B) "Can you cryptographically proof you sent me the funds?"

That's fine when the business has large reputational constraints. Quite different when dealing with an actor who might be on the margins. Which would include most non brick and mortar businesses. That is to say if the reputational constraints are extremely dispraportionate than what you are discibing works fine. I.E. the difference in the value of starbucks reputation compared to the value of my reputation. However if the two parties are at all similar, than there exists a risk where if you accuse him of being dishonest, he can turn around and say no it was actually you who was dishonest, he is in a position to inflict equal damage to your reputation as you are to his. Cryptographic proof shows, atleast more clearly, who is in the right.
Activity: 644
Merit: 502
March 27, 2015, 02:43:15 PM
How many reviews and analyses by groups of university research-level mathematicians have been performed on D___coin?

Monero has had four thus far. https://lab.getmonero.org/
legendary
Activity: 2282
Merit: 1050
Monero Core Team
March 27, 2015, 02:42:14 PM
These probability calculations are misleading because they are from the perspective of the individual transactor as opposed to the attacker.

Evan is basically saying "The networlk isn't secure, but there's so fucking many of you that the chances of your transactions being traced are slim. Here's a really low percentage to distract you: 0.000000000000001%. Wow!"

The probability calculations make the assumption that only one round of Darksend is needed for privacy / fungibility. The correct analysis would entail calculating the probability of say 4 un-compromised Darksend rounds in sequence out of say a 20 round Darksend given that x% of the masternodes are compromised.

Edit:fluffypony hints at this issue in this post. https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.10901590
Activity: 795
Merit: 514
March 27, 2015, 02:31:16 PM
These probability calculations are misleading because they are from the perspective of the individual transactor as opposed to the attacker.

Evan is basically saying "The networlk isn't secure, but there's so fucking many of you that the chances of your transactions being traced are slim. Here's a really low percentage to distract you: 0.000000000000001%. Wow!"
March 27, 2015, 02:18:23 PM

Well that's not the concern. The concern is an adversary spying on a small but significant portion of masternode activity (say 15%). Your one tx might have an astronomically low probability of being revealed, but other transactions on the network won't be so lucky.

yes they will, that's how probability works Smiley

if there is an unbelievably tiny probability or catching a DS transaction with 15% of the network, you will catch an unbelievably tiny number of transactions....i.e. none in any sensible timeframe.

No, that's not how probability works. If you fire a gun into a large crowd, someone will get hit, even if everyone's individual probability is low. The attacker's probability of hitting something is much higher.

A robust anonymity solution will make it just as costly to unmask one transaction vs any other.
legendary
Activity: 2282
Merit: 1050
Monero Core Team
March 27, 2015, 02:15:55 PM
March 27, 2015, 02:15:39 PM

Well that's not the concern. The concern is an adversary spying on a small but significant portion of masternode activity (say 15%). Your one tx might have an astronomically low probability of being revealed, but other transactions on the network won't be so lucky.

yes they will, that's how probability works Smiley

if there is an unbelievably tiny probability or catching a DS transaction with 15% of the network, you will catch an unbelievably tiny number of transactions....i.e. none in any sensible timeframe.

You will still catch transactions. If you fire a gun into a large crowd, someone will get hit, even if everyone's individual probability is low.

A robust anonymity solution will make it just as costly to unmask one solution vs any other.
Activity: 671
Merit: 500
March 27, 2015, 02:15:29 PM
Extremely big, yes.

I was too slow with my edit so I will repost here:
----------------------------
Hypothetical Situation:

Coffee shop owner:  "OK, that'll be .7865 DASH please.  My address is Xkh65Rfk8...

Is his response A) "Thank you, come again" or B) "Can you cryptographically proof you sent me the funds?"
Activity: 112
Merit: 10
March 27, 2015, 02:13:39 PM
Extremely big, yes.

For who?

Joe Public?

Johnny Merchant?

Highfalutin Cryptonerd?
Activity: 532
March 27, 2015, 02:05:56 PM
Extremely big, yes.
March 27, 2015, 02:01:49 PM
...At this stage there are a series of major flaws that remain untouched because of ...

Can you elaborate on these major flaws?

How do you cryptographically proof you made a payment if it has been send through darksend?

You open your wallet, click on the transaction, and printscreen?

Because you can't just make up a shitty screenshot?

DRK where printscreen is considered to be cryptography....

What if the background image is really cool?

Seriously, if address "Xkh65Rfk8..." requested funds and the blockchain says that "Xkh65Rfk8..." received funds what is the problem?  Is this a major flaw?

Hypothetical Situation:

Activity: 644
Merit: 502
March 27, 2015, 02:01:07 PM
1) Posting an on-topic comment about either of these two coins, even if it  is NEGATIVE about one or the other or both, is not trolling.
Some of you need to learn what that slang word means.

2)strix: I commend your efforts and your self-proclaimed diligence in investigation. However, to say that the Monero devs hide in the shadows is preposterous. fluffypony shares and has shared his real name from what was probably Day 1 of Monero development. Just because he uses a screenname does not mean he is skulking in the shadows. David Latapie uses his real name as his screenname. So, nice try, but you apparently didn't really put that much effort into your research of Monero.

Your efforts are valiant, if a bit dramatized, but as I read the beginning of your post, I would have thought for certain that you would have chosen Monero. Your choices are your prerogative. But don't act like you are a saint among men and that your choices are the righteous ones. You are simply a man who makes his own decisions, and your own flaws and biases are inherent in and influential on your decisions in life -- just the same as it is for me, or anyone else.
March 27, 2015, 01:52:34 PM
...At this stage there are a series of major flaws that remain untouched because of ...

How do you cryptographically proof you made a payment if it has been send through darksend?

Because you can't just make up a shitty screenshot?

DRK where printscreen is considered to be cryptography....
Activity: 400
Merit: 263
March 27, 2015, 01:46:36 PM
March 27, 2015, 01:35:26 PM

March 27, 2015, 01:29:39 PM

March 27, 2015, 12:41:25 PM

Activity: 112
Merit: 10
March 27, 2015, 11:03:21 AM
There seems to be a disconnect here. I know Darkcoin is build on a flaky foundation,

like you knew about Darksend yesterday? Smiley

I don't need to prove that. Proving the opposite is critical, and neither the Darkcoin leadership nor its proponents have done so (nor do I have any reason to believe they will do so).

Critical for who? You? Investors? The Pope? Please elaborate...

When you make statements like the above I'm reminded that this thread is a landmine - if I spend the hours researching and extrapolating it will be pointless, as proponents will nitpick. The only way I could possibly win is to spend days and weeks creating a proof-of-concept to demonstrate validity, and even then there will just be some lipstick-on-a-pig move to patch one particular leak in the overflowing dam.

So as the developer of a competing anon coin you are unprepared to demonstrate how the anon coin with the leading market cap is fundamentally flawed. You will just leave it to self-implode and then win. Is that right? If so, fair enough, but it does beg the question why you spend so much time arguing against a coin that you _know_ is flawed and will fail.

Majamina, your final comment and BlockaFett's comment is the real nail in the coffin here - I'm doing free analysis in my spare time (how much did Kristov Atlas get paid again?)

I think it was about 1000 DRK, maybe a bit more, when dark was a couple of bucks. He did a thorough review with full co-operation from Evan. He didn't say it was flaky.

based on virtually nonexistent technical documentation, so of course there are assumptions I have to make in the interest of expediency. An incorrect assumption in one area does not invalidate my analysis in another, unrelated area.

No, but it does demonstrate that you're willing to come on here and slag the opposition tech without understanding how it works.

At this stage there are a series of major flaws that remain untouched because of the obsession with "proving" that a single attack surface doesn't exist. There has not been a single iota of proof - stating something as if it is fact, or showing some graphs without a model showing its assumptions are not proof, not by any definition of the term. If you want further analysis and specifics I will gladly provide you with my hourly rate and expected engagement period, but beyond that I've reached the end of what I'm willing to do for free.

So you're willing to analyse DASH vulnerabilities on a commercial basis, but not for the benefit of your coin which you are no doubt invested in, financially, emotionally, temporally....interesting.

Begs the question why you're actually posting extensively on here at all and not concentrating on that hourly rate. Smiley

That is not a cop-out, it is just the reality when every suggested attack has to get ground down to minutiae whilst ignoring large swathes of what attackers are capable of. The discussion in this thread has been like talking to someone who sticks their fingers in their ears and goes "na na na, you're wrong, na na na na".

I think that's entirely unreasonable. You've made very broad technical statements about Darksend etc and have not backed them up with proof. The only times I've said 'you're wrong', literally or figuratively, are when you have been wrong - i.e. Darksend transactions and your ridiculous list of MN opsec requirements.

Again, and for the record: you cannot discount an attack by claiming ignorance, simply stating it isn't possible, or turning everything into an accusation of trolling / FUD.

where have I turned anything into an accusation of trolling/fud?

I'd say this thread has been fun, but it hasn't.

why are you still posting in it then? you bid farewell earlier but then came back....

no hard feelings, naturally Smiley
Activity: 231
Merit: 100
March 27, 2015, 10:45:24 AM
Our jugdement is always clouded by our emotional investments

Satoshi made us think in a different way, to not to trust, to question. Satoshi gave us Blockchain, the trustless authority.

When we have blockchain based solutions, why should we place our trust on nodes? Isnt it what we all are here for? to build trustless systems?

There are two types of people here, those who want to gain more fiat and those who want to help humanity. Choose your side
This is a noble sentiment, but not entirely true. There are certainly any number of gradations on the scale running from St. Francis of Assisi, to Bill Gates. Now while I consider BG to be little more than a criminal, on any number of measures he could be considered of more help to humanity than S.t Francis. The fact is that the desire for fiat and to help humanity are not mutually exclusive. More to the point of this discussion is the fact that even a "pure" desire to help humanity will not settle this debate.

I suspect (in a completely unfounded way Wink) that I have more in common with the first person sited above, than most folks on this forum; my pursuit of fiat has been, for the most part, to be able to help others who are not in a position to do so. 10 months ago, on a mountain in the middle of a jungle, connected by a feeble long-distance wi-fi link, I wasted some time browsing, and found an ongoing debate between advocates of something called Shadow coin, Monero, and Darkcoin. As a technophile, and someone who witnessed first-hand the devestation wrought by banksters, I was intrigued.

The vulgarity, and crudeness were hard to stomach, (not to mention the name "Darkcoin") but for the sake of those I wanted to help, I continued investigating. In the end, having only limited resources of time and even less of money, I had to decide to follow only one. In spite of its name I chose Darkcoin. I chose it not based on superior technology, (which I suspected it had) but on the basis of superior people. They had their share of trolls and FUDers, but they also had a reasoned core of supporters (such as majamina here :-) who reasonably and politely stood up to the FUDers and trolls, or simply ignored them. Even more importantly, Darkcoin's developer, did not live in shadows or participate in the trollfest, but continued, day-in, and day-out, to improve the coin. I saw no ongoing development in the other coins, and their developers did not even deserve the term, from what I could see; they certainly weren't willing to show their faces in the light of day.

I returned to the U.S. to teach last September, and began participating in the DRK community, lobbying along with some others for a name change, and slowly trying to acquire a masternode of my own. I now own 908 DASH and hope to buy another $80.00 worth tomorrow. (That is after sending $280 (which is half my pay) to help those I left.") In retrospect  seems clear I have made the right decision. Shadow coin is no longer worth discussing, and the general tenor of Monero backers supports the market's judgment of them.  In large part it was the incessant screams of "instamine," which I was perfectly capable of investigating on my own, which drove me from them. Maybe they are right, and their tech is better, to me it makes no difference, the caliber of their people out-weights any consideration of the tech.

It grieves me to think that most of you probably have no idea what I am talking about, and will never know the joy of being invited to share a meager meal with those who would not be alive but for your small involvement with them. Should you want to experience this, pm me, and I will be happy for you to accompany me on my next trip. It is my hope that it will not be too long before a masternode will relieve me of the need to return to the States to refill my coffers.

If I am wrong, and DASH becomes worth nothing, and Monero takes over the world, I will sleep easy, knowing that Evil men often rule the day while goodness lurks in the dark; that money is but a means to an end, and that character determines the nature of that end.

I pray that you all end well...
Activity: 504
eidoo wallet
March 27, 2015, 10:40:15 AM

This was back in late 2014 and has nothing to do with the current threat by that guy about deanonymizing darksend, so before you go accusing others of trolling, at least do your research first, newbie.

https://www.cryptocoinsnews.com/darkcoin-finds-fixes-darksend-privacy-bug/

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/darkcoin-exploit-found-in-2-hours-by-amateur-why-open-source-matters-for-anon-816141 - darkcoin exploit found in 2 hours by amateur (why open source matters for anon)

I think you misunderstand. You're saying that nobody is trying to break Darksend. I am saying....'so is all the energy just going into trolling then?' (because there's certainly a lot of that going on!)

Oh, I interpreted that question as, is all my energy going into trolling, lol. Sorry then.
Pages:
Jump to: