Pages:
Author

Topic: XMR vs DRK - page 38. (Read 69755 times)

Activity: 504
Merit: 500
eidoo wallet
March 27, 2015, 06:25:21 PM
The government will have a hell of a easier time forcing masternode owners to give themselves in or just taking down the servers the masternodes are hosted on, than forcing users of Monero or Zerocash to do the same. It's a hell of a lot harder for the gov to do that to users of coins that dont utilize external masternodes to provide anonymity(monero).

If an evil Govt shut down a VPS, the same masternode can reappear in another country as soon as an instance is provisioned.  Minutes or hours.  No fuss, no muss.

For non gov entities, I suppose finding another flaw in darksends rounds, or a flaw in masternodes themselves would be much more plausible.

What does that even mean?

If the coins are held on the masternode and not a cold wallet, that masternode isnt reappearing anywhere. The gov can just take control of the servers the masternodes are hosted on.

Someone found a flaw in darksend and was able to deanonymize a transaction back in late 2014, such a thing is much more plausible IMO for a non gov entity.
legendary
Activity: 3836
Merit: 4969
Doomed to see the future and unable to prevent it
March 27, 2015, 06:20:23 PM
Well, people like me appreciate the analysis. True, you may not influence people who are heavily financially invested in DRK, but people who are legitimately interested in evaluating the technology will probably pay attention.

I would appreciate it too.

I know I've nitpicked at fluffy, but I respect his knowledge and would love to see him properly review DASH. The more I learn about the Monero project the more it interests me, so to see a fair (and I stress fair) review of DASH by fluffy would be very interesting for me as an investor.

there is one on reddit, try a search.
eidoo wallet
March 27, 2015, 06:18:07 PM

As I said earlier, not equally. The government will have a hell of a easier time forcing masternode owners to give themselves in or just taking down the servers the masternodes are hosted on, than forcing users of Monero or Zerocash to do the same. It's a hell of a lot harder for the gov to do that to users of coins that dont utilize external masternodes to provide anonymity(monero).

For non gov entities, I suppose finding another flaw in darksends rounds, or a flaw in masternodes themselves would be much more plausible.

Look, people host MNs on VPS cos it's easy to do and the workload is lightweight (presently). You think if Guv started going after VPS people would still host on there? No, they'd host in just the same places that Monero workloads are hosted, meaning the challenge of finding the nodes would be equitable.

Anyway, the point is that guv/TLA is an unassailable adversary - they're going to win whatever you do.

The real-world, fit-for-purpose debate has to be around lesser adversaries, so give me just one example of such an adversary who could mount a successful attack on a 2,400 strong network of nodes spread across 30+ countries.

I know, I'm saying that you cannot compare these coins equally, since taking down a coin's anonymity with masternodes like Dash is much easier than taking down a coin that doesn't use masternodes like Monero.. Thats it. If a scenario came where the government was banning all use of cryptocurrencies etc, you can expect masternodes on coins to be one of the first things taken down by the government.

The challenge of finding the nodes? The ip's of all masternodes are in the open.

I gave an example of someone finding another flaw in darksends code and being able to deanonymize transactions, or finding a flaw in the masternodes themselves.
Activity: 671
March 27, 2015, 06:16:59 PM
Extremely big, yes.

I was too slow with my edit so I will repost here:
----------------------------
Hypothetical Situation:

Coffee shop owner:  "OK, that'll be .7865 DASH please.  My address is Xkh65Rfk8...
Me:  "OK, sent."

Coffee shop owner checks his wallet and .7865 DASH appear.

Is his response A) "Thank you, come again" or B) "Can you cryptographically proof you sent me the funds?"

That's fine when the business has large reputational constraints. Quite different when dealing with an actor who might be on the margins. Which would include most non brick and mortar businesses. That is to say if the reputational constraints are extremely dispraportionate than what you are discibing works fine. I.E. the difference in the value of starbucks reputation compared to the value of my reputation. However if the two parties are at all similar, than there exists a risk where if you accuse him of being dishonest, he can turn around and say no it was actually you who was dishonest, he is in a position to inflict equal damage to your reputation as you are to his. Cryptographic proof shows, atleast more clearly, who is in the right.

When NASA first started sending up astronauts, they quickly discovered that ballpoint pens would not work in zero gravity. To combat the problem, NASA scientists spent a decade and $12 billion to develop a pen that writes in zero gravity, upside down, underwater, on almost any surface, and at temperatures ranging from below freezing to 300 degrees Celsius.

The Russians used a pencil.

Lets kill this false tale starting now

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/fact-or-fiction-nasa-spen/

Of course the story is not true, that wasn't my point. "Coffee shop owner" doesn't give a damn, he just wants to be paid promptly and efficiently.  DASH payments using darksend (rename coming soon I hope) and instantx produce an untraceable transaction in 5 seconds.  If the coffee shop owner keeps books listing his customers, he can check this transaction off as "paid".  If he doesn't need to know who gave him payment...

I love this, I can lie if it suits my purpose, If I get called out, I can claim I was being hyperbolic.

12 billion dollars, the entire Apollo program cost less than 20. Next time pick a better lie.

wow.  Should I have fully defined the words?

blah blah NASA blah

sheesh.
Activity: 112
Merit: 10
March 27, 2015, 06:14:53 PM

As I said earlier, not equally. The government will have a hell of a easier time forcing masternode owners to give themselves in or just taking down the servers the masternodes are hosted on, than forcing users of Monero or Zerocash to do the same. It's a hell of a lot harder for the gov to do that to users of coins that dont utilize external masternodes to provide anonymity(monero).

Look, people host MNs on VPS cos it's easy to do and the workload is lightweight (presently). You think if Guv started going after VPS people would still host on there? No, they'd host in just the same places that Monero workloads are hosted, meaning the challenge of finding the nodes would be equitable.

Anyway, the point is that guv/TLA is an unassailable adversary - they're going to win whatever you do.

The real-world, fit-for-purpose debate has to be around lesser adversaries, so give me just one example of such an adversary who could mount a successful attack on a 2,400 strong network of nodes spread across 30+ countries.
Activity: 671
March 27, 2015, 06:14:12 PM
The government will have a hell of a easier time forcing masternode owners to give themselves in or just taking down the servers the masternodes are hosted on, than forcing users of Monero or Zerocash to do the same. It's a hell of a lot harder for the gov to do that to users of coins that dont utilize external masternodes to provide anonymity(monero).

If an evil Govt shut down a VPS, the same masternode can reappear in another country as soon as an instance is provisioned.  Minutes or hours.  No fuss, no muss.

What does that even mean?
Activity: 308
Merit: 250
March 27, 2015, 06:11:37 PM
Extremely big, yes.

I was too slow with my edit so I will repost here:
----------------------------
Hypothetical Situation:

Coffee shop owner:  "OK, that'll be .7865 DASH please.  My address is Xkh65Rfk8...
Me:  "OK, sent."

Coffee shop owner checks his wallet and .7865 DASH appear.

Is his response A) "Thank you, come again" or B) "Can you cryptographically proof you sent me the funds?"

That's fine when the business has large reputational constraints. Quite different when dealing with an actor who might be on the margins. Which would include most non brick and mortar businesses. That is to say if the reputational constraints are extremely dispraportionate than what you are discibing works fine. I.E. the difference in the value of starbucks reputation compared to the value of my reputation. However if the two parties are at all similar, than there exists a risk where if you accuse him of being dishonest, he can turn around and say no it was actually you who was dishonest, he is in a position to inflict equal damage to your reputation as you are to his. Cryptographic proof shows, atleast more clearly, who is in the right.

When NASA first started sending up astronauts, they quickly discovered that ballpoint pens would not work in zero gravity. To combat the problem, NASA scientists spent a decade and $12 billion to develop a pen that writes in zero gravity, upside down, underwater, on almost any surface, and at temperatures ranging from below freezing to 300 degrees Celsius.

The Russians used a pencil.

Lets kill this false tale starting now

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/fact-or-fiction-nasa-spen/

Of course the story is not true, that wasn't my point. "Coffee shop owner" doesn't give a damn, he just wants to be paid promptly and efficiently.  DASH payments using darksend (rename coming soon I hope) and instantx produce an untraceable transaction in 5 seconds.  If the coffee shop owner keeps books listing his customers, he can check this transaction off as "paid".  If he doesn't need to know who gave him payment...

I love this, I can lie if it suits my purpose, If I get called out, I can claim I was being hyperbolic.

12 billion dollars, the entire Apollo program cost less than 20. Next time pick a better lie.
eidoo wallet
March 27, 2015, 06:08:24 PM

Well, people like me appreciate the analysis.

Then analyse this:

I added two numbers together to produce a result of 8.

Which two were they ?

(Clue: I mixed them - no cryptography involved, so should be easy for you  Wink )

It will be easy if I put a gun to your head and force you to tell me. Hence the masternode centralization concern.

The gun-to-the-head argument also applies to any coin, including Monero, in terms of giving up keys, access, or association to information.

But the difference is, if you hold up every Monero miner, due to blockchain anonymity, you still couldn't deanonymize the network's keyholders...I think.

Yep, If i remember correctly gmaxwell and andytoshi provided ring signature blinding. So even if 100% of the participants admitted it wasnt them, you cant prove who actually was in the transaction.
legendary
Activity: 1834
Merit: 1019
March 27, 2015, 06:06:10 PM

Then analyse this:

Which two were they ?

(Clue: I mixed them - no cryptography involved, so should be easy for you  Wink )

It will be easy if I put a gun to your head and force you to tell me. Hence the masternode centralization concern.

The gun-to-the-head argument also applies to any coin, including Monero, in terms of giving up keys, access, or association to information.

But the difference is, if you hold up every Monero miner, due to blockchain anonymity, you still can't deanonymize the network's keyholders...I think.
eidoo wallet
March 27, 2015, 06:05:31 PM

Dash is far, far more susceptible in that analogy. For Cryptonote coins i.e Monero, you need no external nodes to mix transactions/provide privacy/anonymity. With Dash, the government(s) can take control of the servers the masternodes are hosted on, threaten with jailtime for masternodes owners, etc etc.

We went through this stuff in quite some detail. The conclusion, correct me if I'm wrong, was that versus guv/TLA all coins are fucked, so any argument about that is obsolete.

Not equally though. While it may be possible to force users of any coin no matter how anon to reveal themselves through force or w/e, coins that utilize an external source to provide anonymity are far, far more susceptible, such as Dash, than coins that do not, such as Monero or future Zerocash.

we're into re-iteration territory here, but one more quick go won't hurt.

- if the adversary is guv/TLA then Monero & DASH are both dead in the water.

- if the adversary is not guv/TLA then who is it exactly, and how do you propose that they compromise the MN network?

March 27, 2015, 06:03:36 PM

Dash is far, far more susceptible in that analogy. For Cryptonote coins i.e Monero, you need no external nodes to mix transactions/provide privacy/anonymity. With Dash, the government(s) can take control of the servers the masternodes are hosted on, threaten with jailtime for masternodes owners, etc etc.

We went through this stuff in quite some detail. The conclusion, correct me if I'm wrong, was that versus guv/TLA all coins are fucked, so any argument about that is obsolete.

Not equally though. While it may be possible to force users of any coin no matter how anon to reveal themselves through force or w/e, coins that utilize an external source to provide anonymity are far, far more susceptible, such as Dash, than coins that do not, such as Monero or future Zerocash.

we're into re-iteration territory here, but one more quick go won't hurt.

- if the adversary is guv/TLA then Monero & DASH are both dead in the water.

- if the adversary is not guv/TLA then who is it exactly, and how do you propose that they compromise the MN network?
eidoo wallet
March 27, 2015, 06:01:30 PM

Not equally though. While it may be possible to force users of any coin no matter how anon to reveal themselves through force or w/e, coins that utilize an external source to provide anonymity such as Dash are far, far more susceptible to such a thing, than coins that do not such as Monero or future Zerocash.
March 27, 2015, 05:59:21 PM

eidoo wallet
March 27, 2015, 05:53:39 PM

Then analyse this:

Which two were they ?

legendary
Activity: 1442
Merit: 1018
March 27, 2015, 05:51:54 PM

Then analyse this:

Which two were they ?

(Clue: I mixed them - no cryptography involved, so should be easy for you  Wink )

March 27, 2015, 05:47:48 PM

You have a 2,400 barreled transcontinental mega-rifle?  Wink
Activity: 795
Merit: 514
March 27, 2015, 05:43:57 PM

Then analyse this:

Which two were they ?

March 27, 2015, 05:36:59 PM

Let us say I face an attack that will work against 1 round of Darksend but will fail against 2 rounds of Darksend. This could be the Sybil example I quoted above. If the attacker has also partially compromised the masternode network, then I need a sequence of 2 un-compromised Darksend rounds for protection from this attack. In this example sequence 1 will not work

1) Honest Malicious Honest Malicious Honest Malicious

but sequence 2 will work

2) Malicious Honest Honest Malicious Malicious Honest

because of the bold part. So it is the probability of the sequence of n honest masternodes in the chain that matters, and this is much lower than the probability of a single honest masternode in the chain.

OK thanks for the example, I'll consider this and will also read the referenced sections of Kristov's paper in detail.

Will probably get some sleep before responding on here. Smiley
legendary
Activity: 3066
Merit: 1188
March 27, 2015, 05:28:39 PM

Then analyse this:

Which two were they ?

March 27, 2015, 05:24:20 PM

That probability depends on every transaction using 4 rounds of mixing (not likely), as well as assembling a 100% complete transaction, which isn't necessary for an attacker to draw hasty conclusions.

yep, but if you do the calculation using just one round it's still a huge number of days.

As for complete transactions, I agree that's not included....but I was answering your 'gun in the crowd' point, which has a probabilty of near 1, which is astronomically different to the proabilities we're talking about here.

It would be nice to know what are the average or most comonly used mixing rounds in a darksend, and calculate probability based on that. Or, even better, calculate attacker probability based on the minimum allowable amount of mixing, to establish a "worst case scenario" or baseline probability.

ok i'll do it then Smiley

with 15% of the network compromised and just one round of darksend per transaction the probability is 3.32526E-17 or .0000000000000000332526

mutiply by 1,000,000 for transactions per day (which is a really big number of darksend transactions, by the way):

and divide into 1 for number of days to get a complete transaction:

Pages:
Jump to: