Pages:
Author

Topic: [XPM] [ANN] Primecoin High Performance | HP14 released! - page 20. (Read 397587 times)

Activity: 516
Merit: 500
CAT.EX Exchange
Saying that, I found a total of 22 blocks on a crappy notebook with 2,5Ghz dualcore i5 (0,64 CPD HP11). I guess that's all pure luck

C'mon many have found their slow machine turns out to be a block magnet. It can't be all coincidence. We don't fully understand the mining process of this coin.
Activity: 457
Merit: 250
Well, most likely it's really pure luck. Got 9 blocks in the past 2 days after getting nearly nothing for weeks now. Every finding was >18 hours after the last block on the respective machine.

I have an i5 3570 @4x3,4 Ghz (1.56 CPD HP11) which found only one block after nearly 4 weeks 24/7 mining. Seems to be badluck for this machine Sad Saying that, I found a total of 22 blocks on a crappy notebook with 2,5Ghz dualcore i5 (0,64 CPD HP11). I guess that's all pure luck
Activity: 546
I have a total of about 7 CPD (HP11) crunching. Since about a month ago I'm experiencing much, much lower blockrate. Currently it's about one block per 2-3 days. Wondering who finds all those blocks?

Also I noticed (since day 0) that my machines often find a few blocks in a row (over 1-3 days) and then find nothing for days/weeks. I even had 3 blocks within a few hours a few times. Can anybody confirm, that it is more likely to find a block when a block has been found in the past hours?  I can't believe this is pure luck.

Yes. They come in groups. It's not totally random. There are hidden parameters that are not well understood.  In the hidden parameter space there is tide of "luck". I can only guess the parameters are related to network speed, performance of the whole network, and the condition of your peers who are network neighbors at the moment.

Sorry, I can't agree with this, and I have found several thousand XPM in total now. I think you are falling into the trap of seeing patterns where there really are none: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apophenia

Similarly a gambler remembers theirs successes more than their failures (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Survivorship_bias), especially when they also perceive a 'lucky streak' or 'a round of wins': http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hot-hand_fallacy

I suspect if you plot your found block frequency against time and perform rigorous statistical testing you will see there is not really the phenomenon you describe.

What you say is that statistics can show people see non-existing patterns. But the logic doesn't go the other way round. There are plenty of examples that simple statistics is blind on existing patterns, especially if the hidden process is cyclic. Averaging too long you will claim there is no seasonal change on Earth.

I don't knoe either way. Only controlled detailed tests on the main net can help. Maybe someone can fund a PhD student to try to crack it. Heck someone may already have. We know a grad student has produced a GPU miner prototype for less than 100BTC  Wink

Yes if you do statistics wrong it can mislead you. If you do it right it can enlighten you. The same can be said for most things.
CAT.EX Exchange
I have a total of about 7 CPD (HP11) crunching. Since about a month ago I'm experiencing much, much lower blockrate. Currently it's about one block per 2-3 days. Wondering who finds all those blocks?

Also I noticed (since day 0) that my machines often find a few blocks in a row (over 1-3 days) and then find nothing for days/weeks. I even had 3 blocks within a few hours a few times. Can anybody confirm, that it is more likely to find a block when a block has been found in the past hours?  I can't believe this is pure luck.

Yes. They come in groups. It's not totally random. There are hidden parameters that are not well understood.  In the hidden parameter space there is tide of "luck". I can only guess the parameters are related to network speed, performance of the whole network, and the condition of your peers who are network neighbors at the moment.

Sorry, I can't agree with this, and I have found several thousand XPM in total now. I think you are falling into the trap of seeing patterns where there really are none: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apophenia

Similarly a gambler remembers theirs successes more than their failures (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Survivorship_bias), especially when they also perceive a 'lucky streak' or 'a round of wins': http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hot-hand_fallacy

I suspect if you plot your found block frequency against time and perform rigorous statistical testing you will see there is not really the phenomenon you describe.

What you say is that statistics can show people see non-existing patterns. But the logic doesn't go the other way round. There are plenty of examples that simple statistics is blind on existing patterns, especially if the hidden process is cyclic. Averaging too long you will claim there is no seasonal change on Earth.

I don't knoe either way. Only controlled detailed tests on the main net can help. Maybe someone can fund a PhD student to try to crack it. Heck someone may already have. We know a grad student has produced a GPU miner prototype for less than 100BTC  Wink
Well, a block every 2-3 days is my current frequency. In total I mined about 2k XPM. Saying that, it is possible that I see Patterns and in fact there are no patterns. That's why I asked here if someone is able to confirm it.
Activity: 182
Merit: 100

Also I noticed (since day 0) that my machines often find a few blocks in a row (over 1-3 days) and then find nothing for days/weeks. I even had 3 blocks within a few hours a few times. Can anybody confirm, that it is more likely to find a block when a block has been found in the past hours?  I can't believe this is pure luck.

Yes. They come in groups. It's not totally random. There are hidden parameters that are not well understood.  In the hidden parameter space there is tide of "luck". I can only guess the parameters are related to network speed, performance of the whole network, and the condition of your peers who are network neighbors at the moment.

Agreed, having mined 10K+ XPM.

You really can't draw conclusions from mining on average a block per 2-3 days.

Our brain evolved to allow us to find and kill things really well, while not being killed by other things ourselves, to do well socially and to have lots of sex offspring. Interpreting temporal occurrences like found XPM blocks, and indeed any kind of mathematical concept was never really what the brain was evolved for. To get around these limitations of our own minds we created the field of statistics.

I suspect if you perform rigorous statistical testing you will see there is not really the phenomenon you describe.
and the condition of your peers who are network neighbors at the moment.

So do you expect it to be a bad thing or a good thing, that they are network neighbours? I made connection between them manually with "addnode=", but I´m not sure if this is a good idea.  Undecided
Activity: 93
Merit: 10

Also I noticed (since day 0) that my machines often find a few blocks in a row (over 1-3 days) and then find nothing for days/weeks. I even had 3 blocks within a few hours a few times. Can anybody confirm, that it is more likely to find a block when a block has been found in the past hours?  I can't believe this is pure luck.

Yes. They come in groups. It's not totally random. There are hidden parameters that are not well understood.  In the hidden parameter space there is tide of "luck". I can only guess the parameters are related to network speed, performance of the whole network, and the condition of your peers who are network neighbors at the moment.

Very interesting.
CAT.EX Exchange

Activity: 812
Merit: 1000
is there a thread somewhere where we collect different paramters (sievesize etc) for different CPU models, as it is usually the way with scrypt and sha256 GPU wikis? or is it still every man for himself?

I just created a wiki for this purpose. Feel free to join, and we can all work together to figure out the best settings for all the miners!

Official Announcement Thread: http://www.ppcointalk.org/index.php?topic=511.0

Site: xpmwiki.com

Thanks!
Activity: 53
Merit: 0
is there a thread somewhere where we collect different paramters (sievesize etc) for different CPU models, as it is usually the way with scrypt and sha256 GPU wikis? or is it still every man for himself?

I just created a wiki for this purpose. Feel free to join, and we can all work together to figure out the best settings for all the miners!

Official Announcement Thread: http://www.ppcointalk.org/index.php?topic=511.0

Site: xpmwiki.com
Currently i have 4 machines 1.5, 1, 2 x 0.25 running 24/7 for the last 3 days but no luck
I am building a "largish" litecoin farm with GPU's (working on an pci-e fpga card for litecoin also) and wanted to see if i can use the cpu's of the farm to mine another crypto-coin in parallel.
At the moment my "free-cycles" for going over the details of primecoin miners and looking for optimizations are rather limited but will look into it at first chance.

Even with low process priority I found that primecoin generally reduces system performance possibly due to memory or bus bandwidth limitations. It was limiting my kh/s of my graphics cards as they mined and so I had to give them higher intensities to compensate and get them back up to normal kh/s.
Activity: 18
Currently i have 4 machines 1.5, 1, 2 x 0.25 running 24/7 for the last 3 days but no luck
I am building a "largish" litecoin farm with GPU's (working on an pci-e fpga card for litecoin also) and wanted to see if i can use the cpu's of the farm to mine another crypto-coin in parallel.
At the moment my "free-cycles" for going over the details of primecoin miners and looking for optimizations are rather limited but will look into it at first chance.
What's the CPD you are getting ?
Want to see if the formula used to "predict" blocks has actually any meaning, although variance can be a bitch

FWIW I have a total of about 3 chainsperday on HP11 across many machines. At current diff I only see about one block per day or less.

That would be about 1 block every 2.5 days per machine or about 12 blocks per month
How many machines are you running? looks like it takes around 5 to get 1 block per day

6 machines mine 24/7 the fastest (unfortunately) is just a Core 2 Quad @ 2.93 GHz. I have some rackmount servers that come and go as I repair and test them, but most of those are not very new so are unlikely to exceed 1 CPD.
legendary
Activity: 1205
Merit: 1010
Cool, the BiTwin change is working out for me:

Probable prime chain found for block=5afbda4c541b246958922fa448feb4820025e29025b70af4bd7a869e4e6f9f01!!
  Target: 09.de5a9f
  Chain: TWN09.ffffff
***BLOCK Long chain mined: 9.9999999, 31

That is a lot of 9's though in the fractional part.. just curious if that is some sort of bug, coincidence, or some side effect of bi-twin chains. I think I've seen a few that are all 9's for the fractional part.

I have seen those too. It just means the Fermat remainder is small, also evidence that the remainder distribution excluding 1 is still not uniform.
Activity: 532
bearded, drunk, fat, naked
Want to see if the formula used to "predict" blocks has actually any meaning, although variance can be a bitch

FWIW I have a total of about 3 chainsperday on HP11 across many machines. At current diff I only see about one block per day or less.

That would be about 1 block every 2.5 days per machine or about 12 blocks per month
How many machines are you running? looks like it takes around 5 to get 1 block per day
HP10 shows 2.13 CPD
Just upgraded to HP11 and is showing 1.19

with 1.19 that would translate to a block every 6.3 days or around 5 blocks a month
with 2.13 is a block every 3.5 days or 8 blocks a month

The 2nd seems closer to what you actually got, but calculated with current difficulty (.8680)not the difficulty from prev month
Pages:
Jump to: