Pages:
Author

Topic: [XPM] [ANN] Primecoin High Performance | HP14 released! - page 71. (Read 397616 times)

legendary
Activity: 1537
Merit: 1005
No block for 2 days on Xeon e5 3,7 Ghz, decided to go ypool...

Btw while hp7 shows around 3800 primes/s, the ypool miner shows 8000 primes/s. Maybe I should not compare, dunno.
Activity: 378
Merit: 250
Still getting new blocks mined on my i7-970 Gulftown at 3.2GHz (2 today, 2 yesterday). Maturing seem to take at least 48 hours, so I'm guessing a lot of machines have dropped out of the network.

What settings are you using and how many primes per second are you getting? I'm mining  on my 3930k and get anything from 4k to 5700 primes per sec and have only gotten one block in three days of mining.

You are lucky. I have been mining for at least a week at 4000 PPS and have yet to get a single block.
Activity: 75
Merit: 10
mikaelh has been hard at work optimizing the code (10 new commits on bitbucket)

After an hour running this on mainnet I'm seeing consistently higher pps and chainspermin than with hp7 on an identical box

I think it's time for another round of donations to keep mikaelh going  Smiley

How much higher are you seeing? I would donate in primecoin now but I only mined my first block yesterday and it still is immature - it's going to be at least another day before I am able to use the coins.
Activity: 70
mikaelh has been hard at work optimizing the code (10 new commits on bitbucket)

After an hour running this on mainnet I'm seeing consistently higher pps and chainspermin than with hp7 on an identical box

I think it's time for another round of donations to keep mikaelh going  Smiley

You might be able to help me with a noob question.  Whenever I enable testnet=1 in my .conf file, I always end up with issues.
It always shows that it's out of sync, 2 weeks behind, and "no block source available".

What am I doing wrong?

I don't think you are doing anything wrong - it has another block chain on the test net and that needs to sync separately. I ran into some issues syncing with it with antivirus software (only for the first part). It might help to disable your firewall temporarily until you have part of the block chain and multiple block sources. Then again I'm a complete noob and might be goiing about this completely wrong - take what I say with a grain of salt.

Ok, I'm glad it's not just me.  I'll just hold tight then.

I just set up the software on my laptop and it took a few moments with no connection and now seems to be syncing. Waiting might help as there seem to be a few minor issues with getting your computer to sync at first.
Activity: 168
Merit: 100

You might be able to help me with a noob question.  Whenever I enable testnet=1 in my .conf file, I always end up with issues.
It always shows that it's out of sync, 2 weeks behind, and "no block source available".

What am I doing wrong?

I don't think you are doing anything wrong - it has another block chain on the test net and that needs to sync separately. I ran into some issues syncing with it with antivirus software (only for the first part). It might help to disable your firewall temporarily until you have part of the block chain and multiple block sources. Then again I'm a complete noob and might be goiing about this completely wrong - take what I say with a grain of salt.

Ok, I'm glad it's not just me.  I'll just hold tight then.
Thanks for the explanation - I was just curious about settings since I'm using the default sieve size and sieve percentage  and don't know if changing them helps at all right now - I saw people discussing different settings making a difference on the testnet and was wondering if there were any better settings that I could use right now.

Your best bet is to run some test w/your box on testnet to find your settings. For v7 my best are 2M/8%, 2M/14% did well too. However, no blocks w/v4-v7 for me on i7 860 @ 3.22.

I do spend a lot of time on testnet though. I figured since I wasn't finding blocks I could at least find some good settings for any other i7 quad miners out there and I'll wait for the GPU miner.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks for the explanation - I was just curious about settings since I'm using the default sieve size and sieve percentage  and don't know if changing them helps at all right now - I saw people discussing different settings making a difference on the testnet and was wondering if there were any better settings that I could use right now.

Your best bet is to run some test w/your box on testnet to find your settings. For v7 my best are 2M/8%, 2M/14% did well too. However, no blocks w/v4-v7 for me on i7 860 @ 3.22.

I do spend a lot of time on testnet though. I figured since I wasn't finding blocks I could at least find some good settings for any other i7 quad miners out there and I'll wait for the GPU miner.

What am I doing wrong?
Activity: 363

Still getting new blocks mined on my i7-970 Gulftown at 3.2GHz (2 today, 2 yesterday). Maturing seem to take at least 48 hours, so I'm guessing a lot of machines have dropped out of the network.

What settings are you using and how many primes per second are you getting? I'm mining  on my 3930k and get anything from 4k to 5700 primes per sec and have only gotten one block in three days of mining.

It really is hard to tell if/when you'll get a block.
I don't mean that as in "I don't know how to calculate it", I mean it in the sense that "I'm not sure if it can be calculated".

Prime numbers and prime chains are quite fickle and inconsistent things.  With hash-based cryptocurrency, there's a certain uniformity and predictability with difficulty.  With primes and prime chains, there's some predictability, but not enough to get you a simple formula.  See the "Difficulty Adjustability of Proof-Of-Work" of the primecoin paper.

With hash based coins, the question is simply "if I throw dice with X sides, what's the odds I'll get a number lower than [difficulty]".
With primecoin, the question is "what's the odds that I'll find a chain of primes [difficulty] numbers long, with the next number not being prime and having a remainder greater than [difficulty]".

So yeah.  I have no idea (and neither does anybody else).

P.S.: Just because you're finding X primes/sec doesn't mean you'll find them with the correct properties.

It really is hard to tell if/when you'll get a block.
I don't mean that as in "I don't know how to calculate it", I mean it in the sense that "I'm not sure if it can be calculated".

Prime numbers and prime chains are quite fickle and inconsistent things.  With hash-based cryptocurrency, there's a certain uniformity and predictability with difficulty.  With primes and prime chains, there's some predictability, but not enough to get you a simple formula.  See the "Difficulty Adjustability of Proof-Of-Work" of the primecoin paper.

With hash based coins, the question is simply "if I throw dice with X sides, what's the odds I'll get a number lower than [difficulty]".
With primecoin, the question is "what's the odds that I'll find a chain of primes [difficulty] numbers long, with the next number not being prime and having a remainder greater than [difficulty]".

So yeah.  I have no idea (and neither does anybody else).

P.S.: Just because you're finding X primes/sec doesn't mean you'll find them with the correct properties.
Activity: 122

The difficulty is still going up so there are definitely more people joining than leaving.

Activity: 518
Merit: 502
Where can we report feature requests now as the github account is disabled?

mikaelh, would it be possible to add the 5-chains value to the mininginfo rpc call and/or add a separate rpc call for it? Just like for getprimespersec. That would be really handy for measuring performance!

That's already done. It's called (get)chainspermin.

Cool, I missed that! Thanks.
Activity: 560
Merit: 500
Activity: 784
DIA | Data infrastructure for DeFi
People starting to mine should know that by now block finds are rare even on i7 3770k @ 4.4 !
I used to find a block a day and I have found none during the last 72h...

same here
Activity: 301

mikaelh, would it be possible to add the 5-chains value to the mininginfo rpc call and/or add a separate rpc call for it? Just like for getprimespersec. That would be really handy for measuring performance!

That's already done. It's called (get)chainspermin.

I'd like setsievesize and setsievepercentage  Grin

A setsievesize command isn't really possible with the current code. OTOH, setsievepercentage is possible.
Activity: 756
Merit: 501
I'd like setsievesize and setsievepercentage  Grin
Activity: 518
Merit: 502

Does anybody have a recommendation on how to keep my keypools in sync?  I just noticed that when a block is mined it makes a new address that doesn't show up in getaddressesbyaccount "".
Although, I can still do a dumpprivkey on it.
Pages:
Jump to: