Pages:
Author

Topic: Yet another Coin Control Release [CLOSED] - page 2. (Read 47449 times)

Activity: 263
Merit: 250
December 12, 2013, 04:41:08 PM
People.  Calm down.  Litecoin and Bitcoin OMG regularly backports bug fixes and features for the purpose of testing.  Various bug fixes in 0.8.3 through 0.8.6 and master were directly or indirectly influenced by our work.  Much of it was not directly written by us but was the result of a collaborative effort.  Most of the credit goes to the Bitcoin devs.
legendary
Activity: 2053
Merit: 1356
aka tonikt
December 12, 2013, 09:53:26 AM
What you should have said is "Bitcoin OMG is just backporting patches from Bitcoin 0.9, I'm not actually writing these things." because it seems some people think otherwise!
Sounds like you're jealous that your super-team (aka the bitcoin elite) cannot manage to make it before him.

My advise: less patronizing - more work... and maybe one day you will become equally efficient in pulling patches. Doubtfully, but maybe... Smiley
staff
Activity: 4242
Merit: 8672
December 12, 2013, 08:47:47 AM
I feel like OMG is not thought of as an addition or bleading edge thing, but tries to get people away from the official reference client?
Dia
Actually the litecoin core development team actually listens to the users, instead of themselves. Instead of trying to implement other protocols that are broken in a Beta client Wink
Please be respectful to the Bitcoin devs.  We are all in this together.
What you should have said is "Bitcoin OMG is just backporting patches from Bitcoin 0.9, I'm not actually writing these things." because it seems some people think otherwise!
legendary
Activity: 3416
Merit: 1912
The Concierge of Crypto
December 12, 2013, 04:27:35 AM
I think the reference client is conservatively stable. It should be that way. The source is open, so anyone who wants new features can add to it, just like what we are seeing with Coin Control and OMG and no wallets.

Those additional features can possibly have bugs. In any case, both the reference client and the modified versions are not recommended for new users.

I do recommend people to study it, and if you're going to have any amount of bitcoins or litecoins, you might as well learn how the whole thing works, and QT is a good place to start. Also, another full node is good for the network(s).
December 12, 2013, 04:19:51 AM
I feel like OMG is not thought of as an addition or bleading edge thing, but tries to get people away from the official reference client?

Dia

Actually the litecoin core development team actually listens to the users, instead of themselves. Instead of trying to implement other protocols that are broken in a Beta client Wink

Please be respectful to the Bitcoin devs.  We are all in this together.
December 12, 2013, 04:13:27 AM

Dia

Please do not feel alarmed.  This is merely a decentralized variation of the reference client that is intended to help improve the 0.8.x and master branches.  OMG testing has directly contributed to the selection of patches that went into 0.8.6.  OMG was also very helpful in testing various candidate patches for the MacOS leveldb corruption issue as shipped in 0.8.6.  wumpus also points out that we caught the deleteLater issue with Coin Control thanks to OMG.

Bitcoin OMG was published because a ton of work was put into testing the backport patches shipped in Litecoin 0.8.x and it was not much more effort to repackage those patches into a Bitcoin client.  Users want features like Coin Control and through many months of testing and some of feedback to cozz it has improved to a point where I personally feel comfortable using it in these 0.8 backports.

As far as client security goes, OMG has its own gitian.sigs where random members of the public are invited to help verify with their own GPG-signed gitian sigs.
legendary
Activity: 2053
Merit: 1356
aka tonikt
December 12, 2013, 03:53:37 AM
You see it upside down.
The official reference client tries to get people away from itself.
Pretty effectively, in fact.
Activity: 769
Merit: 500
December 12, 2013, 03:44:32 AM

Dia
legendary
The Concierge of Crypto
December 11, 2013, 09:39:26 PM
Okay. Thanks! I like Coin Control. The OMG binary isn't compressed though, so I thought someone else was working on it. (but that's just executable compression, so not a big deal.)
Activity: 61
Merit: 15
December 11, 2013, 06:51:13 PM
Yes, please use wtogamis binaries, this patch is included there.
December 11, 2013, 02:59:46 PM
I like Cozz's version. Good to have alternatives, but I will also give bitcoin OMG a try.

Bitcoin OMG *is* Cozz's version.
legendary
The Concierge of Crypto
December 11, 2013, 03:28:30 AM
I like Cozz's version. Good to have alternatives, but I will also give bitcoin OMG a try.
December 11, 2013, 02:36:33 AM
https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/bitcoin-omg-including-watch-only-320695
Bitcoin OMG10 (0.8.5 with all of 0.8.6's bug fixes) already has Coin Control.
legendary
The Concierge of Crypto
December 11, 2013, 01:22:48 AM
0.8.6 released.

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/bitcoin-qt-bitcoind-version-086-released-364353

While we wait for 0.9.0 with built in coin control.
legendary
The Concierge of Crypto
December 03, 2013, 09:21:36 PM
I do a backup every other transaction or when I remember. I could easily set it up so there is a daily backup which goes to another computer, or encrypted in the cloud or something. The wallet.dat file is relatively small compared to all other things that I work on, although it is already about 4 MB. (all those transactions take up space.)

What I like to do is take a simple dump of the private keys once in awhile, using pywallet, print it, stuff that in an envelope and lock it in my office where it's protected by armed guards.

But even at 4 MB, I can just copy that file every week to a few of my USB flash drives.

The way I use Coin Control, I usually either spend it all, or specify a particular change address (sometimes back to itself) so I don't think that generates a new private key in the key pool. Besides, you can see all the keys that have unspent inputs.
Activity: 56
Merit: 0
December 03, 2013, 12:18:19 PM
Well, I could give it a try to keep my backups in there, sure....
legendary
Activity: 1792
Merit: 1008
/dev/null
December 03, 2013, 11:54:44 AM
I think I'm paranoid. I create 3 backups of my wallet.dat prior to every start of the app - so actually on a daily basis. These files are than backed up to a second HDD in my laptop and both HDDs will be synced to an external drive from time to time. I have about 3 (per backup un) x 400 files x 3 HDDs.
just use git then Wink
Activity: 56
Merit: 0
December 03, 2013, 11:05:50 AM
I think I'm paranoid. I create 3 backups of my wallet.dat prior to every start of the app - so actually on a daily basis. These files are than backed up to a second HDD in my laptop and both HDDs will be synced to an external drive from time to time. I have about 3 (per backup un) x 400 files x 3 HDDs.
legendary
Activity: 3472
Merit: 4794
December 03, 2013, 10:46:08 AM
Bitcoin-Qt will create a new address every transaction, to ensure you always have 100 unused.
So I recommend backing up every 90 transactions.
Note this is entirely unrelated to coincontrol...

It is a good idea to have multiple backups created at different times, just in case something happens that makes your most recent backup unusable.

I generally recommend keeping an approximate count of addresses generated with the "New Address" button, and of transactions sent.

Create a new backup when the sum of those two counts is about 25, and store the 3 most recent backups in different locations (in case of fire, flood, tornado, earthquake, etc).

That way you'll always have 3 backups that can be used to recover the entire balance of your wallet.
legendary
Activity: 1890
Merit: 1086
Ian Knowles - CIYAM Lead Developer
December 03, 2013, 10:21:58 AM
It is already merged into what will become 0.9.

Well that is something I think we can all agree will be a great additional feature for bitcoin-qt!
Pages:
Jump to: