Pages:
Author

Topic: Yet another Coin Control Release [CLOSED] - page 6. (Read 47431 times)

Activity: 61
Merit: 15
update:

• v0.8.2
  • Updates to the new dust logic
    • if you enter dust as recipient amount the label Low Ouput shows "DUST"
    • fee is calculated correctly according to dust, this is when change would be dust, its added to the fee
    • actual dust threshold is 5460 satoshis
legendary
Activity: 1708
Merit: 1019
[...CoinControlForThePeople...]
Sweet.
legendary
Activity: 2058
Merit: 1431
Sipa has an up-to date branch for coincontrol. I have built it using gitian in my build VM. (VMWare Ubuntu guest, Windows 7 x64 host).

My Windows build1: bitcoin-0.8.2-sipa-coincontrol-win32.zip (SHA b7bc93cdaacbe24b42bff6714d59a9fcc49e85dc)
linux users: do it yourself. you probably know how to do it and you don't have to trust me.
mac users: sipa's build script doesn't build mac (I think). sucks to be you, I guess.

summary of my build instructions:
Code:
git clone -b coincontrol git://github.com/sipa/bitcoin.git
git tag -a v0.8.2-sipa-coincontrol -m 'sipa coincontrol'
./bitcoin-build.sh v0.8.2-sipa-coincontrol
http://bitcoin.sipa.be/builds/bitcoin-build.sh.txt

1Standard disclaimer: While I'm confident my host system is virus free, and the probability of a virus infecting VM guests is low, I can not guarantee the build is clean. Hashes of the output files are generated within the VM, and are verified at the time of upload, so the risk of tampering in transit is low. However, audits of my build are always welcome.
Activity: 546
Merit: 500
Coin Control is crucial!
legendary
Activity: 3416
Merit: 1912
The Concierge of Crypto
0.8.2 final has been released. (of the main bitcoin-qt reference client.)

But it does not contain CoinControl.
Yes :/
Not yet. I just bumped this thread in the hopes that whoever made the previous version will make an updated version with Coin Control.
Activity: 364
Merit: 250

Yes :/
legendary
Activity: 1470
Merit: 1005
Bringing Legendary Har® to you since 1952

legendary
Merit: 1912
The Concierge of Crypto
legendary
Activity: 2576
Merit: 1186
The only cases I am aware of people having trouble "upgrading" wallets, is really because their wallet got corrupted somewhere along the lines.

If Bitcoin-Qt (or any other Satoshi-based client) does not cleanly exit, your wallet.dat is not intact!
It will depend on the database/ subdirectory until you resolve it with a clean shutdown.
If that directory disappears on it (or is replaced, etc), you may be losing money.
legendary
Activity: 2058
Merit: 1431
It only seems to work for a limited number of upgrades. I tried pulling a v0.3 wallet out of storage with v0.8.1 and it puked. It looked like I could download every intermediate version of bitcoin and run them one at a time with it or just extract the keys with pywallet (my choice). I don't really know why previous wallet files aren't supported, there can't be that many changes in the file structure in that length of time.
wallets should always be forward compatible, but backwards compatibility is tricky because there has been various updates to the wallet format since 0.3.x.
Activity: 354
Does bitcoin-qt's wallet transfer across wallet clients?  When I upgrade to 0.9, will it be as straightforward as dropping my saved wallet.dat into the usual place?

It only seems to work for a limited number of upgrades. I tried pulling a v0.3 wallet out of storage with v0.8.1 and it puked. It looked like I could download every intermediate version of bitcoin and run them one at a time with it or just extract the keys with pywallet (my choice). I don't really know why previous wallet files aren't supported, there can't be that many changes in the file structure in that length of time.
Activity: 194
Merit: 100
Just reading this discussion has taught me a lot more about how bitcoin works. Looking forward to learning more.

As for backing up my wallet.dat, it always seemed easiest to just make a copy of that file, then encrypt and store the backup. In reading this thread, that also sounds like the most reliable backup.  Is it?  Does bitcoin-qt's wallet transfer across wallet clients?  When I upgrade to 0.9, will it be as straightforward as dropping my saved wallet.dat into the usual place?
Activity: 147
Merit: 196
+1 love the add-on!
Activity: 330
Jea if we find it in the next official release it would be great Cheesy
legendary
Activity: 1890
Merit: 1078
Ian Knowles - CIYAM Lead Developer
Looking very nice - hope to see it appearing in the next major release (although you can do this and more with raw tx's it is going to be helpful to have something so easy to use in the GUI itself).
Activity: 330
+1

Love this Addon!

Activity: 93
Merit: 10
Which would bypass the need for all this? Cool  Cool

Thanks
legendary
Merit: 4658
OK, that's not so bad.

Do you happen to know if the 'export private keys' thing in Multibit would also export the new, added keys?

Each wallet has its own way of dealing with change.  Some create new "change" addresses, some let you choose a "change" address, some use one of the addresses you previously created.  The information provided in this thread about how change is handled is all specifically about the Bitcoin-Qt reference wallet.  I'm not certain how MultiBit handles change, and I'm not sure what methods are available for backup or what private keys are included in those various methods.

Perhaps if you create a post in the  MultiBit sub-forum, someone there can help you understand how that wallet works?

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?board=99.0

Bitcoin Forum > Bitcoin > Development & Technical Discussion > Alternative clients > MultiBit

EDIT:  Apparently different versions of MultiBit handle the change in different ways.  It appears that the most recent version sends the change to whatever the second address is in your wallet (I assume if you only have one address, then it just sends it to that address?):

I have altered which address is used for your transaction's change address.

Previously change always went to the first address in your wallet. (It is not a very sophisticated algorithm admittedly).

Recently there have been a number of people importing their blockchain.info backups into MultiBit. I think this is a combination that it is now doable (it takes about 30 minutes on wifi) and the recent blockchain.info DDOS attacks.

With change going to the first address in a wallet change was always going to the initially created address, not one of the blockchain.info imported keys. This is a bit confusing.

With the change address the second address (where it exists) the change will go into one of the imported key addresses. You will see your bitcoin in both MultiBit and blockchain.info.

For regular transactions it should not make much difference.
It will appear in the next live release.
Activity: 93
Merit: 10
OK, that's not so bad.

Do you happen to know if the 'export private keys' thing in Multibit would also export the new, added keys?

Thanks

A.
legendary
Merit: 4658
- snip -
but if you lose your wallet you lose those 9 BTC because you don't have the key for them?

Depending on the backup process you are using, the key is most likely in your backup.

So even if you do an up-to-date backup, you're just backing up your private key again - which hasn't changed, so you STILL don't have the key for the 9 BTC change and you'd still lose those 9 BTC (at today's price, over $1000)?

If that's correct then that's nutz.

If you are running dumpprivkey to get your keys and you fail to run it for the change addresses, then yes, you will be missing the private keys for the change.  On the other hand, if you use the backup menu option, or you make a backup copy of your wallet.dat file, then the private keys for your change addresses (as well as the next 100 addresses that you will use in the future) are all included in your backup.
Pages:
Jump to: