Pages:
Author

Topic: Your perception of INDIA in ONE word... GO!! - page 2. (Read 5668 times)

Activity: 274
Merit: 250
Poverty and Stereotyped.

No irony intended.
Activity: 364
Merit: 252

I haven't been raised religious or to subscribe to the culture.  I was born and raised in Canada in a very multicultural place, so it was pretty secular and I just never believed in religion so it had little significance to me.  I also didn't have any dietary restrictions so I ate a wide range of food, and being in a multicultural city, was lucky to have a lot of different types of cuisine locally.

I'm not asking why a cow is holier than a pig, but a pig is more intelligent and empathetic than a cow.  A mule or donkey is used for farming, and horses and camels are used for transportation, but none of those are sacred.  Something being "holy" is a subjective belief, not a reality.  Anything is holy if you believe it to be.  Santa Claus is real if you believe him to be as is an entity we refer to as god.  There is no point debating something that is based on a belief system.

If a cow being useful to a farmer is enough for you to believe why its sacred, then that's great, but not a whole lot of critical thinking has gone into that, and if you weren't from India, you wouldn't have that opinion at all.  In fact, if you weren't conditioned to think that the cow is sacred, you wouldn't come to that conclusion on your own.   Is a tractor holy?  Is fertilizer holy?  Again, where in the world have you traveled to?

In terms of importance, clean air and water, plankton which is the original food source for most sea life or plants which is the original food source for animals is much "holier" than a cow.

What is unique about cows though, is that psychedelics grow from cow shit.

You like make a bunch of irrelevant but just points you know that ?
You think a religion that was made thousands of years ago had the understanding of 'microbiology' 'fertilizers' and 'plankton' ? I might not have traveled to as many places as you have, you clearly 'have seen the world' and think everyone else is just chained to their homes, but I assure you thats not the case with me. I respect my culture and other's as well. I certainly do not say that there arent any other animals more intelligent than the good old cow but a religion made to control the masses a thousand years ago was anything but logical. Religion is not logical and the fact that you continue to refer me to be 'religious' is ignorant at best because I keep saying that I am not. I'm beginning to sense a pattern of behavior here, where you are getting confused between the concept of accepting a cultural norm and practicing that cultural norm.
Do I worship a cow ? No I'm an athiest but theists here do. Do I eat beef ? No but I'd like to, most people here wouldnt.

However, respecting this animal is cultural to me, I might not be religious but I am very cultural, if it is in my culture to touch the feet of an elder I'd do it, if it is in my culture to share psychedelics - as in opium - when meeting a distant family relative then I'd do it. (Some rajasthani tribes do it)
I wont certainly take it quietly if anyone insulted my culture no matter how stupid it may be. Like you said, what is holy and what is not is purely subjective to the individual and the environment he grew up in.

I am sure that in ancient India there were no mules doing the farming and certainly not horses - this isnt Europe, it was the good old cow and guess what? Its in our folklore! .. and religious legends, stories, literature etc etc. There are sentiments attached to this notion. I dont expect a foreigner to understand the sentiments at play here and should they try to understand it, the least they can do is respect our culture before they try to decrypt it.

So if you want to continue making irrelevant posts at least make sure you clarify what your point is ? I clearly fail to understand it here, what are you saying ? People here should ditch their religion because you dont find it appeasing ?

I ask if you've traveled because you speak from an India-centric perspective.  Then you have arrogance sarcasm to anyone that posts something that you don't agree with.  You have an opinion as well as everyone else, and the sum of all these opinions are worth nothing.  You have picked a side and are determined to defend it, and at that point, rationale and reason are sacrificed.

How am I disrespecting the Indian culture?  I went to several countries in Asia and India was a great part of my trip, and a very enjoyable experience.  If you are seeing this as disrespect, then your interpretation of what I am writing is failing you.

The only assumption I have made is about you not traveling and it was in the form of a question.  You assumed I am a disrespectful foreigner that hates on culture and religion and it was in the form of an accusation.

Where did I say people should ditch their religion?  Please quote it.  I am all for civil liberties, meaning do whatever you want and believe whatever you want as long as it brings no harm to others.  The greatest threat to religion is the internet.

Also, opium is not a psychedelic, it's an opiate, which is quite the opposite.  Psychedelics are mind opening and opiates are mind numbing. 
Activity: 381
Merit: 250
poor.

thats the first word who come to my mind when i read INDIAN, like in some other countrys, is sad.

Exploitation,  the same word is use to describe most other nations.

agree, that one too.
Activity: 784
Merit: 1000
https://youtu.be/PZm8TTLR2NU
Exploitation,  the same word is use to describe most other nations.
legendary
Activity: 3654
Merit: 1217
outsource

India is losing the outsourcing business to countries such as the Philippines and Sri Lanka. Indians speak English with a very thick accent, which sometimes irritate the potential clients. Also, the tax rates in India are quite high, when compared to countries such as Philippines. IT firms in India end up paying a total tax of around 63% (including VAT, Corporate Tax, Labor Tax, Service Tax.etc).
tss
Activity: 742
Merit: 500
outsource
legendary
Activity: 812

lol after owning many dells all my life i can understand how someone might say dell.  The customer service centres seem to be consistantly be located in india.
legendary
Activity: 2674
Merit: 1082
Legendary Escrow Service - Tip Jar in Profile
legendster... i think if some things in india arent perfect then you should admit it. When its true that many people are so poor that they dont have toilets and clean their ass with their left hand then be it. Thats the reality then. And its understandable that others might find this disgusting. I mean ok, in india the left hand is meant to be unclean, but still, even in developed countries no one wants to give a person a hand when you know the person didnt wash their hand after being on toilet. Simply because its unclean and risky because of viral infections.

The same with rape... im not sure if the problem is pushed way bigger than it is in reality but as far as i know that is a real problem in india. And its one where the society not even recognized it as a problem. So that demonstrations started to change this.

When india has problems then admit it. Problems can be changed, but only if they are recognized and changed, not by negating them.

Besides my first word i wrote i think the next thing that comes to mind is the somehow often funny way of speaking in other languages. And of course the look of indians, mostly males, since for some reason i dont remember seeing indian girls so often, though mans you see more often. Often as doctors.
Activity: 1778
Merit: 764
www.V.systems
Elephants.

My Gran spent quite some time living in India when she was young. She had a lot of elephant ornaments and paintings decorating her living room and all around her house. It is seen as a sacred animal I believe.

Its because of those elephant ornaments that these days there are less elephants and more elephant ornaments.
But yeah I agree those are some majestic creatures.
www.V.systems
www.V.systems
Rapey?

Seems like a big societal problem that has only recently come to international attention. I'm a big fan of India but they seriously need to shut that shit down before they're going to get any respect.

Can you say the United States is free of rape ? Can you say that the UK is free of rape ?
Whatever the number of rape victims these countries have multiply it with the Indian Population factor coupled with lack of education.

Its a sad part of our lives, not just in India but the whole world. It will get better with time.
www.V.systems
I know this is not a discussion thread, but what's your view on castes, legendster?
I always found it shocking when I heard in the news that a boy and a girl were beaten or even killed by their relatives for hooking up. One would think we're living in a modern society, guess not.

Never supported it, never will.

And isolated incidents do happen in remote rural areas, I was shocked to find out about a village that literally kidnapped every passing female & have them married to a villager. Why ? Because they killed all their girl children and women didnt enjoy the same social status as men. The village men were also 'infamous' dacoits so no neighboring villages would get involved with them either.

That is a part and parcel of what a culture is, you get the good with the bad and you support what you want to support.

As far as the reason for the caste system's existence, I see the need for it in ancient India with the whole efficient division of labor ideology but in practice it went from simple division of labor to serious human right violations pretty soon.
Someone who cleaned toilets would be not allowed to touch a normal man, which is absurd and is just one example of the atrocities of the caste system ~ contrary to popular belief we are the oldest civilizations with toilets and drainage systems.

As far as once in a blue moon incidents of caste violence, rest assured that there are far many more hidden facts involved in those situations.

Activity: 583
Merit: 500
Rapey?

Seems like a big societal problem that has only recently come to international attention. I'm a big fan of India but they seriously need to shut that shit down before they're going to get any respect.
Activity: 294
Merit: 11
Elephants.

My Gran spent quite some time living in India when she was young. She had a lot of elephant ornaments and paintings decorating her living room and all around her house. It is seen as a sacred animal I believe.
Activity: 641
Merit: 253
▰▰▰ Global Cryptocurrency Paymen
I know this is not a discussion thread, but what's your view on castes, legendster?
I always found it shocking when I heard in the news that a boy and a girl were beaten or even killed by their relatives for hooking up. One would think we're living in a modern society, guess not.
Activity: 188
Merit: 100
Packed
www.V.systems
Crowded

This was the first thing that I thought of as well, pleased to see it appear so early on the list.

Good Luck with your project!

Thnx hopefully it will turnout okay.
legendary
Activity: 1022
Crowded

This was the first thing that I thought of as well, pleased to see it appear so early on the list.

Good Luck with your project!
Activity: 210
★Spacey The Bird★ Android Game , Bitco
hinduism
Activity: 154
That Darn Cat
Bollywood.

That is the first thing that comes to mind to me.  Also, doctors.  A lot of doctors in the United States came from India.  At least that is the case in my area.
Pages:
Jump to: