Pages:
Author

Topic: Your view on shale gas exploration ? - page 3. (Read 18654 times)

legendary
Activity: 3752
Merit: 1217
December 28, 2013, 11:09:54 AM
So NOW you agree with me.

No. Specifically, you wanted the construction of the Belo Monte dam to go ahead. I opposed it.

You wanted the burning of fossil fuels to continue. I disagreed.
legendary
Activity: 2912
Merit: 1386
December 27, 2013, 12:02:43 PM
Thank you kindly for reminding me that I, after all, am no more than a bug or a worm.

Wait, something is not quite right there...

I don't care what you are. If you want to build a dam, buy a few acres of land near your house and build one. Don't destroy the entire planet for your greed.
So NOW you agree with me.

here you are talking about the direct impact of man's changes on the land.....you want to control his activities for the alleged impact of them half way around the world.
legendary
December 27, 2013, 01:39:34 AM
Thank you kindly for reminding me that I, after all, am no more than a bug or a worm.

I don't care what you are. If you want to build a dam, buy a few acres of land near your house and build one. Don't destroy the entire planet for your greed.
legendary
December 27, 2013, 12:47:43 AM
Who gives you the right to your attitude and beliefs being superior to those of others?

And who gives the right to destroy the planet, for which every living organism is having an equal right?
Well, the river of logical fallacies runs deep here.  They need to be dammed up, certainly.

legendary
December 26, 2013, 11:57:27 PM
Who gives you the right to your attitude and beliefs being superior to those of others?

And who gives the right to destroy the planet, for which every living organism is having an equal right?
legendary
December 26, 2013, 02:19:49 PM
here you are talking about the direct impact of man's changes on the land.....you want to control his activities for the alleged impact of them half way around the world.

In this particular occasion we were talking about the Belo Monte dam. It doesn't have anything to do with the CO2 emissions.
I don't think that really matters.  You want to control this, you want to control that.  You don't like this, you don't like that.  People should do this, people should do that.

legendary
December 26, 2013, 12:35:40 PM

In this particular occasion we were talking about the Belo Monte dam. It doesn't have anything to do with the CO2 emissions.
legendary
December 26, 2013, 11:36:07 AM
Yeah...but by this logic, not a single city would exist today.  No farms, ranches, mines, quarries, and most fishing would not be allowed.  Obviously war could not be permitted (lol).  And here you are talking about the direct impact of man's changes on the land he does it on.  Once you start talking about co2, then you want to control his activities for the alleged impact of them half way around the world.

Have fun!

Again, you are generalizing everything. The Alto Xingu region is one of the areas with highest biodiversity in the whole planet. Destroying 122,000 acres there is like destroying 122 million acres somewhere else, like Canada. We should at least preserve 1% of our planet, where the maximum amount of living species are found. Already only around 15% of the earth's area is under primary vegetation. The remaining has been cut down or destroyed by humans during the last few centuries.

Yes, I used generalization to illustrate your logical errors.  Then I concluded with the end result of your manner of thinking...

legendary
December 26, 2013, 05:00:40 AM
Yeah...but by this logic, not a single city would exist today.  No farms, ranches, mines, quarries, and most fishing would not be allowed.  Obviously war could not be permitted (lol).  And here you are talking about the direct impact of man's changes on the land he does it on.  Once you start talking about co2, then you want to control his activities for the alleged impact of them half way around the world.

Have fun!

Again, you are generalizing everything. The Alto Xingu region is one of the areas with highest biodiversity in the whole planet. Destroying 122,000 acres there is like destroying 122 million acres somewhere else, like Canada. We should at least preserve 1% of our planet, where the maximum amount of living species are found. Already only around 15% of the earth's area is under primary vegetation. The remaining has been cut down or destroyed by humans during the last few centuries.
Activity: 238
Merit: 100
December 26, 2013, 02:10:34 AM
Exploration should be done sonographically rather than physically. The results of physical, on-the-job experience have unknown consequences for the future of the land where this is taking place.  There is some correlative data to suggest fracking has caused localized earthquakes in Ohio, at least.
legendary
December 25, 2013, 06:18:41 PM
First of all, 'aquatic species' is a way different thing than 'fish'.

Either way, I am not comfortable with so many species dying out.

Have fun!

There isn't anything sacred about the pristine untouched state of nature.  It's okay if we screw around with it.  

Hmm... let me guess. Let's destroy this planet and its living things. After that what we'll do? Will we go to some other planet and do the same?

You can't walk down the street without crushing some helpless micro organisms.  So where are you going to draw the line?  More importantly, who draws the line?

If I go camping, shoot a deer, a rabbit and a pig, then collect some dead branches to make a fire and cook them with, I have altered the pristine untouched state of nature.  So yes in part, you can say that we are going to 'destroy (a part of) the planet' with every single thing we do.

But we invented barbecue sauce for those tasty treats that we kill, skin and eat.

Must have been a reason.

legendary
December 25, 2013, 12:28:40 PM

Either way, I am not comfortable with so many species dying out.

There isn't anything sacred about the pristine untouched state of nature.  It's okay if we screw around with it. 

Hmm... let me guess. Let's destroy this planet and its living things. After that what we'll do? Will we go to some other planet and do the same?
legendary
December 25, 2013, 12:06:02 PM
How does putting about a 14x14 square mile piece of land under water kill off 600 species of fish?

The upper region of Xingu river is having a great variety of aquatic species, most of which is not found anywhere else. The ecology is very delicate and needs moving water to survive. If the water becomes static, then the food chain will become affected and the entire system will collapse.

As for the entire system collapsing, I don't think that's correct.

Change would occur as the two major rivers mixed their waters.  Maybe several species of fish would die.  Others of course, would thrive.

There isn't anything sacred about the pristine untouched state of nature.  It's okay if we screw around with it.  Now that we can mess with DNA, maybe we could bring species back, too.  Some really weird ones would be cool.  After all, this is the 21st century.
legendary
December 25, 2013, 09:57:11 AM
How does putting about a 14x14 square mile piece of land under water kill off 600 species of fish?

The upper region of Xingu river is having a great variety of aquatic species, most of which is not found anywhere else. The ecology is very delicate and needs moving water to survive. If the water becomes static, then the food chain will become affected and the entire system will collapse.
legendary
Activity: 1176
Merit: 1001
minds.com/Wilikon
December 25, 2013, 12:13:07 AM
Beaver dam funding is needed for the good of the dead fish says the UN.
legendary
December 24, 2013, 08:45:33 PM
— Officials in Bonnyville, Alta., blew up more than 70 beaver dams....

Cool....

Airstrikes?

CIA Drones...
What were those dam beavers going to do with all that hyroelectirc power anyway?

Only bryant would know  Wink

HEADLINE:  600 Species of Fish Lost to Dam Beavers

Massive fish depopulation and species extinction is highly correlated with beaver dams, scientists say in the new issue of Climatic Changersaurus.  Initial conclusions are that all the fish were eaten.  Additional research is needed. 
legendary
minds.com/Wilikon
December 24, 2013, 04:26:54 PM

Cool....

Airstrikes?

CIA Drones...
What were those dam beavers going to do with all that hyroelectirc power anyway?

Only bryant would know  Wink
legendary
December 24, 2013, 10:37:02 AM

Cool....

Airstrikes?

CIA Drones...
legendary
minds.com/Wilikon
December 23, 2013, 05:13:22 PM

Cool....

Airstrikes?

CIA Drones...
legendary
December 23, 2013, 05:05:14 PM

Cool....

Airstrikes?
Pages:
Jump to: