Pages:
Author

Topic: Your view on shale gas exploration ? - page 7. (Read 18654 times)

legendary
Activity: 997
Merit: 1002
Gamdom.com
December 09, 2013, 08:01:35 PM
Smiley The videos you've posted are pseudo-science at best, kind of like the propaganda the cigarette industry used to promote back in the day. I've never actually watched all of Gasland so I can't really comment or verify whether it's 100% factual.

@Spendulus  To say fracking has no environmental impact is ridiculous, extracting any toxic substance from the ground is going to cause environmental damage, especially when you consider the US has very lax regulations due to the powerful coal/gas/oil lobbyists. They couldn't give a fuck as long as they make their profit margin.

I'm very left-wing, but I'm not some long haired, tree-hugging vegan. The way I see it, our climate is fucked, we're on the brink of a climate catastrophe (please don't quote me some oil corporation sponsored Alex Jones bullshit) something need to be done with reduce our carbon emissions. All the US government has to do is release all of Tesla's research and I'm pretty sure some boffin can find the solution. The Sahara desert alone receives enough solar energy to power the entire planet (with todays solar technology) but the rich coal/gas/oil elite will never give up their money or power without a fight.

Fusion energy would be great when it's feasible, but our current nuclear power technology/supplies will only last about another 50 years, then we've got a shitload of toxic waste to worry about. I don't know what the answer is but poisoning our planet even more can't be good for our future.

legendary
Activity: 1176
Merit: 1001
minds.com/Wilikon
December 09, 2013, 06:45:14 PM

Never enough said. The truth shall set you free, or at least a more balanced view.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1WioK-rInxg

http://fracknation.com/
Fracknation is amazing when you see it side by side with gasland

I have heard good things about that movie.

I don't have a bone to pick in the ideological quarrel, just here commenting that I drive around fracking operations a good deal and have not seen ANY environmental destruction, pollution, etc.   

I would like to apologize if my posts in this thread feel like an attack against Mother Nature in any way. I had ZERO idea about all those facts. I thought gasland was the gospel. "Nuff said" I used to think myself. Then I used a tool called google and started learning about all those claims.
I believe we can't get fast enough to almost free fusion energy for everyone to use. But I also believe we should not enrich nations selling oil to everyone, collecting Ferrari in the middle of the desert not even spending 0.5% of their riches into solar energy solution from the oil Aliburton helped them getting.

Then... Matt Damon fracking film backed by big OPEC member:
http://economy.money.cnn.com/2012/10/01/matt-damon-fracking/

Matt Damon's new film on fracking, "Promised Land", is generating some buzz -- though probably not the kind studio execs were hoping for.
Last week, the conservative think tank Heritage Foundation pointed out that in the trailer for film, one of the financial backers listed is Image Nation Abu Dhabi.
Image Nation Abu Dhabi is, in turn, owned by Abu Dhabi Media - a state media company for the United Arab Emirates. The UAE, an OPEC member, is the world's third-largest oil exporter.
For a film that highlights the dangers of fracking -- the controversial process that has unleashed an energy boom in the United States -- this may be problematic, as evidenced by Twitter posts Monday:

Matt Damon makes anti-fracking propaganda film funded by United Arab Emirates. Trying to keep USA dependent on OPEC? blog.heritage.org/2012/09/28/mat…—
Scott Manley (@ManleyWMC) October 01, 2012
Green Weenie of the Week: Matt Damon. powerlineblog.com/archives/2012/… Has there ever been a more deserving Green Weenie winner? #tcot—
Power Line (@powerlineUS) October 01, 2012
Critics contend the UAE is trying to drum up opposition to more U.S. oil production, which could compete with its crude exports.

It's also possible the UAE -- which has financed at least a half-dozen Hollywood films -- overlooked the conflict of interest and simply thought the film was a good investment due to its all-star cast (Oscar winner Frances McDormand and John Krasinski of "The Office fame co-star) and director (Gus Van Sant).
A spokeswoman for Image Nation Abu Dhabi said that while the company gets "supporting funds" from the Abu Dhabi government, it is a "commercially-driven and independently-operated" entity.
A spokeswoman for Participant Media, which arranged financing for the film, said the funding was part of a larger deal with Image Nation Abu Dhabi  to invest in 15 to 18 films over a five year time period, "regardless of genre or subject matter."
Either way, the revelation could be a setback for a film on an important U.S. energy topic, and will only give ammunition to critics who say the movie was biased from the get-go.
legendary
Activity: 2912
Merit: 1386
December 09, 2013, 06:30:25 PM

Never enough said. The truth shall set you free, or at least a more balanced view.

I have heard good things about that movie.

I don't have a bone to pick in the ideological quarrel, just here commenting that I drive around fracking operations a good deal and have not seen ANY environmental destruction, pollution, etc.   
legendary
minds.com/Wilikon
December 09, 2013, 06:12:09 PM

legendary
minds.com/Wilikon
December 09, 2013, 05:57:20 PM
It's a sign that the low hanging, easy to get fruit has been taken.  Otherwise wouldn't be resorting to shale.

It's like the difference between hard rock mining and picking fat juicy gold nuggets off the surface of the ground.  The big oil gushers of oil discovery are gone.  Now they are squeezing the last drops wherever they can find it.

Starting to drudge the bottom of the barrel in terms of resources - not as cost effective and takes more energy to produce each unit of energy.

...Just like bitcoin...
legendary
Activity: 966
Merit: 1004
CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!
December 09, 2013, 05:36:51 PM

Some of that fear mongering i fell for... lol

Oh man.. As much as i would like to BBQ and wash dishes at the same time.. Ive gotta say holy ****!

What else is coming out of there besides methane..? I love how at the end of the video she says its safe to drink and the water is murky white and bubbling with gas!! WTF!

Activity: 196
Merit: 101
December 09, 2013, 04:02:47 PM
it's still useful for your country, more working places, bigger spending power,more purchases = stronger economy Smiley
legendary
Activity: 997
Gamdom.com
Activity: 154
Merit: 100
Johnny Bitcoinseed
December 09, 2013, 03:01:19 PM
It's a sign that the low hanging, easy to get fruit has been taken.  Otherwise wouldn't be resorting to shale.

It's like the difference between hard rock mining and picking fat juicy gold nuggets off the surface of the ground.  The big oil gushers of oil discovery are gone.  Now they are squeezing the last drops wherever they can find it.

Starting to dredge the bottom of the barrel in terms of resources - not as cost effective and takes more energy to produce each unit of energy.
legendary
minds.com/Wilikon
December 09, 2013, 02:22:40 PM
Another impact of "green energy" on Mother Nature? Gigantic solar panels migrating birds believe to be water from above then try to land on them.
http://www.hcn.org/blogs/goat/are-big-desert-solar-farms-killing-birds

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government/2013/11/12/Oops-Solar-Energy-Plants-are-Killing-Rare-birds

Some animal rights activists are wondering just how many birds green energy may unintentionally kill as more and more birds turn up dead at solar energy facilities throughout California.
A recent article by Vice author Lex Berko notes that dead birds are being found with "singed wings" around several California solar energy facilities.
It happens that many of California's solar plants are, the article claims, in the path of "the four major north-to-south trajectories for migratory birds" called "the Pacific Flyway."
Birds are dying in one of two ways. In some cases, they imagine the shining solar panels to be bodies of water and dive straight into them. There they die when they smash into the panels from the sky.
Others "feel the wrath of the harnessed sunlight." The ultra polished solar mirrors bounce sunrays strong enough to burn the feathers off birds that quickly crash to the ground, caught in the wrong place at the wrong time.
Many of the fowl dying as a result of their unfortunate flight paths over solar facilities are birds protected by the federal government under the Migratory Bird Treaty Act.
Eric Davis of the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service recently told a reporter from The Desert Sun that the feds are "waiting" for more information about these bird deaths.
"Bird migration studies have to wait for bird migrations," Davis said. "It's not like we're going to have the answers in two weeks. This is going to be months and years of trying to better understand the problem and then make better management decisions as we gain more scientific understanding."
There are also thousands of birds killed by wind turbine farms throughout the country. This means that untold numbers of birds, some of them protected species, are being killed by green energy.
legendary
minds.com/Wilikon
December 09, 2013, 02:12:56 PM
1) Do you agree with shale gas exploration in general?

No. In my opinion, shale gas exploration leads to irreversible environmental damage.  It is not economically viable either. We should rather invest in eco-friendly initiatives such as bio-diesel and cane-ethanol.

2) Would still agree withit  if those drilling will be done close to the community where you leave?

No. The entire area will become uninhabitable.

Bio diesel / ethanol have a much more devastating impact on the environment that fracking:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=244663902&sc=tw&cc=share

CORYDON, Iowa (AP) — The hills of southern Iowa bear the scars of America's push for green energy: The brown gashes where rain has washed away the soil. The polluted streams that dump fertilizer into the water supply.

Even the cemetery that disappeared like an apparition into a cornfield.

It wasn't supposed to be this way.

With the Iowa political caucuses on the horizon in 2007, presidential candidate Barack Obama made homegrown corn a centerpiece of his plan to slow global warming. And when President George W. Bush signed a law that year requiring oil companies to add billions of gallons of ethanol to their gasoline each year, Bush predicted it would make the country "stronger, cleaner and more secure."

But the ethanol era has proven far more damaging to the environment than politicians promised and much worse than the government admits today.

As farmers rushed to find new places to plant corn, they wiped out millions of acres of conservation land, destroyed habitat and polluted water supplies, an Associated Press investigation found.

Five million acres of land set aside for conservation — more than Yellowstone, Everglades and Yosemite National Parks combined — have vanished on Obama's watch.

Wind energy kills 100 000 of birds each year. So much so pres obama signed a pass on killing bold eagles for the next 30 years.
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/white-house-gives-wind-farms-pass-on-killing-eagles/

The Obama administration said Friday it will allow some companies to kill or injure bald and golden eagles for up to 30 years without penalty, an effort to spur development and investment in green energy while balancing its environmental consequences.

The change, requested by the wind energy industry, will provide legal protection for the lifespan of wind farms and other projects for which companies obtain a permit and make efforts to avoid killing the birds.

An investigation by The Associated Press earlier this year documented the illegal killing of eagles around wind farms, the Obama administration’s reluctance to prosecute such cases and its willingness to help keep the scope of the eagle deaths secret. The White House has championed wind power, a pollution-free energy intended to ease global warming, as a cornerstone of President Barack Obama’s energy plan.

What is the official position of the EPA regarding the risk of fracking and pollution? (hint: not a scientific position, but a political position)

http://rt.com/usa/epa-fracking-study-water-pollution-073/

The US Environmental Protection Agency has dropped its plans to further investigate whether or not fracking led to the contamination of a Wyoming aquifer, and the agency no longer plans to write a report on the matter.

The EPA in 2011 released a draft report, which revealed that hydraulic fracturing fluids used at a shale gas drilling site had likely contaminated groundwater in Pavillion, Wyoming. Oil and gas companies have long argued that fracking poses no water contamination risks, but the EPA’s results demonstrated otherwise.

Critics of the findings, including Wyoming state officials and drilling advocates, argued that the EPA conducted a poor and inaccurate study, which could ultimately harm the industry. Despite the initial wave of criticism in 2011, EPA officials planned to resume the study and continue making assessments regarding the influence of fracking on groundwater. But the EPA on Thursday abandoned those plans, announcing that state officials will instead take over the investigation into Pavillion’s water pollution and draw up a conclusion in 2014.

http://www.psmag.com/environment/has-the-epa-given-up-on-fracking-63672/

When the Environmental Protection Agency abruptly retreated on its multimillion-dollar investigation into water contamination in a central Wyoming natural gas field last month, it shocked environmentalists and energy industry supporters alike.
legendary
December 09, 2013, 01:52:45 PM

So...the entire Dallas Fort Worth metroplex will become unihabitable?

LOL...I guess that'd fall into the category of "claim" that would require some proof.

Does not sound credible.
legendary
Activity: 3752
Merit: 1217
December 09, 2013, 07:37:32 AM
Agreed on the 1st and 2nd sentence, but biodiesel and ethanol haven't been eco-friendly, because some devastate rain forest to obtain the raw materials for those fuels

Even in a densely populated nation like India, 20% of the agricultural land is being kept fallow due to the lack of resources. These wastelands can be used to grow bio-fuels. Cutting down rainforest to plant sugarcane is insanity at its peak.
legendary
Activity: 1540
Merit: 1000
December 09, 2013, 06:08:23 AM

In my opinion, shale gas exploration leads to irreversible environmental damage.  It is not economically viable either. We should rather invest in eco-friendly initiatives such as bio-diesel and cane-ethanol.
Agreed on the 1st and 2nd sentence, but biodiesel and ethanol haven't been eco-friendly, because some devastate rain forest to obtain the raw materials for those fuels

You're right, when people use 'eco-friendly' etc. they have no idea what that actually means which is why the Toyata Prius is still being sold, I do like cane and bio-diesel because of them being renewable though the problem is going to be finding the space and keeping the cost down, there's actually a company that I looked up and I've forgotten the name now but it's currently harvesting cane sugar for fuel and it's in profit right now so it is possible, it just requires good management.

You also don't want to screw a lot of Africans out of there land as well like a lot of the oil companies have been caught doing, so environmentalists definitely want to think twice before acting self-righteous about that sort of thing if they haven't done proper research into it Cheesy.
Activity: 840
Merit: 255
SportsIcon - Connect With Your Sports Heroes
December 09, 2013, 05:02:26 AM

In my opinion, shale gas exploration leads to irreversible environmental damage.  It is not economically viable either. We should rather invest in eco-friendly initiatives such as bio-diesel and cane-ethanol.
legendary
Activity: 3752
Merit: 1217
December 09, 2013, 12:19:56 AM

No. In my opinion, shale gas exploration leads to irreversible environmental damage.  It is not economically viable either. We should rather invest in eco-friendly initiatives such as bio-diesel and cane-ethanol.

2) Would still agree withit  if those drilling will be done close to the community where you leave?

legendary
December 08, 2013, 10:52:59 PM
Fracking is associated with more cases of sexually transmitted infections: After fracking, the average increase in chlamydia and gonorrhea cases was 62 percent greater in heavily fracked rural counties than in unfracked rural counties.

Hey....if it did that in the rural counties....think of what would happen when the fracking virus hits Los Angeles!
legendary
December 08, 2013, 10:43:08 PM
We need really new breakthroughs like nuclear fusion, not the shitty gas that destroys environment in the large scales!
Hey, that'd be really nice.  Let's bring it on.  Meanwhile...

I've driven around shale gas sites - they are all over the place down here - and I haven't seen any environmental destruction or degradation.

Just saying.
legendary
Activity: 1582
December 08, 2013, 10:20:50 PM
We need really new breakthroughs like nuclear fusion, not the shitty gas that destroys environment in the large scales!
legendary
Activity: 966
Merit: 1004
CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!
December 08, 2013, 09:51:11 PM
I may have fallen victim to the fear mongering! lol

http://earthfirstjournal.org/newswire/2013/06/04/battle-los-angeles-the-fight-to-stop-urban-fracking/

So there is an issue with pollution regarding fracking? Something about volatile chemicals released into the atmosphere ..

So how does that work. They start fracking in low income areas and a few people get rich and the neighbors get cancer?

Whats the deal with the potential for fracking to contaminate drinking water sources?

Did you know that fracking causes STD's!!   LOOOOOOOOL

Im not making it up tho ..

http://ecowatch.com/2013/09/24/social-costs-of-fracking-rural-america/

Guess in towns where theres alot fracking going on.. people are reporting they have stds more. ( hehe )

I quote"  

Fracking is associated with more cases of sexually transmitted infections: After fracking, the average increase in chlamydia and gonorrhea cases was 62 percent greater in heavily fracked rural counties than in unfracked rural counties.

" /quote

Thats fracked up.. but Oh man i got a good laugh...  Cheesy  

Pages:
Jump to: