Author

Topic: ★ ZEIT ★ [COMMUNITY & KNIGHTS] [ULTRA LOW INFLATION] [MICRO-PAYMENTS] - page 342. (Read 1009280 times)

legendary
Activity: 1344
Merit: 1046
Sounds like democracy ;-)
Will have a guinness now --- imported..

Cheers and a gooooooood night,
Ray
legendary
The way I understand it is that the "checkpoint" is like a checkpoint in a video game. In a video game, if your game ends and you restart it, you will restart at the last checkpoint. The blockchain checkpoint acts the same way. If someone does a 51% attack and forks the chain, then the blockchain can be restored to the original chain, but only up to the checkpoint. Right now, with the last checkpoint being the genesis block, if the chain were to get forked then that would cause havoc.
Also, and this is what I think Ray meant about "fasten your seatbelts" is that the checkpoint being closer to the current block will allow the wallet to load up much faster when it is opened up because it will only have to check the blockchain from the last checkpoint.
Ray, hopefully I'm not too far off-base here. Standing by for your more technical explanation!
+1 Steve
A checkpoint is a hardcoded blockvalue and its hashs in the sourcecode.
Lots of people don't like checkpoints, because the guys with repository access have the force to set the proper chain.
They believe it destroys the idea of p2p. And the idea was: The real chain after a fork is the fastest with the biggest amount of confirmations.
We are forking constantly. (The Questionmarks in our mintings == unconfirmed transactions == someone was faster).  Wink
Cool,
How Close will you be setting the new checkpoint in the update?

Cool

No idea my friend,

one possible candidate could be:

http://www.multifaucet.tk/index.php?blockexplorer=ZEIT&block=741427

Code:
static MapCheckpoints mapCheckpoints =
       boost::assign::map_list_of
       (     0, hashGenesisBlockOfficial )
       (     741427, uint256("0xf05750b131f09a2f8554ac40ddf5de8eab4bb8f8fa1999f3d8d6878d0c1fc13c")) //New Checkpoint
;

What does a real programmer think about it??

Thanks in advice,

Cheers, Ray

Edit: If it is a "good" one * - and maybe FanSan could help - the update ist not far away from now...

*good Block

PS: What about a new splashscreen:
legendary
Activity: 1092
Merit: 1000
The way I understand it is that the "checkpoint" is like a checkpoint in a video game. In a video game, if your game ends and you restart it, you will restart at the last checkpoint. The blockchain checkpoint acts the same way. If someone does a 51% attack and forks the chain, then the blockchain can be restored to the original chain, but only up to the checkpoint. Right now, with the last checkpoint being the genesis block, if the chain were to get forked then that would cause havoc.
Also, and this is what I think Ray meant about "fasten your seatbelts" is that the checkpoint being closer to the current block will allow the wallet to load up much faster when it is opened up because it will only have to check the blockchain from the last checkpoint.
Ray, hopefully I'm not too far off-base here. Standing by for your more technical explanation!
+1 Steve
Lots of people don't like checkpoints, because the guys with repository access have the force to set the proper chain.
They believe it destroys the idea of p2p. And the idea was: The real chain after a fork is the fastest with the biggest amount of confirmations.
We are forking constantly. (The Questionmarks in our mintings == unconfirmed transactions == someone was faster).  Wink
Cool,
How Close will you be setting the new checkpoint in the update?

Cool
legendary
+1 Steve

legendary
Activity: 1894
Merit: 1001
Allcrypt:
Deposits and withdrawals are impossible at the moment. No new blocks have been received in 2.3 hours. Average block time for the last 48 hours has been 139.39 minutes.

figures, i just fired up the wallet to make a wd. not seeing any problem with it, it's up to the minute.  Huh
Everything is looking good: Click  Wink

Contact Allcrypt support , they must be having issues with their system.
Zeitcoin is working normally.

Cool

FYI:
Checked https://www.allcrypt.com/blog/  for info and this popped up
Error establishing a database connection

OK, i opened a ticket. do we have a block explorer?
[edit] nvm, i found it
[edit] link sent

AllCrypt Support (AllCrypt.com)
Oct 10 09:19

Our zeit blocks are coming in absurdly slow. Have a link for a block explorer I can check out?
legendary
Activity: 1148
Official Zeitcoin community ambassador
Activity: 938
Crypto-missionary to the Kingdom of Rhegged
Perhaps "All being on the same page" is too much to hope for right now but it would at least be comforting to be confident that we are all in the same library Wink

Ray, like many others here, I'm not 'techy' enough to understand the implications of your comment about 'checkpoints'. Could you expand a bit?
Activity: 588
Merit: 510
Slow, steady, meaningful growth is what we need. Not the encouragement of the pump&dumpers who plague these forums. Preferably backed up with solid buy-support.....
People should choose what we need... interdict what the people want is not zeit-like... we are democratically!
I am not with you in this point!

1) This was, and everything I say is, no more than my personal opinion, speaking as someone who has (I hope) proven my devotion to the long-term success of this coin as opposed to short-term gain.

2) We are nowhere even close to a democracy - yet. Even the proposed council is not democratic.

3) You, and everyone else, have just as much right to express opinions about strategy here as I do.

4) Simply saying 'I disagree with you' without offering an alternative strategy & the reasons for it is getting a bit close to fud for my liking.

5) Over the last 6 months, you have made many unilateral decisions about many aspects of this coin & its' community. Most of them have been good ones, but the point is - I suppose  - that not one of them has been discussed & approved in even the most cursory manner. Right now, 'we' have absolutely zero control over anything except our own thoughts.

Will you even permit the council to happen if it means giving up your 'power'?

Would you rather I just dumped my Zeit & fucked off, never to be heard from again?

What i was trying to say:
It's not needed to leave a comment behind every uncomfortable post with "your personal opinion".
To 5) An approving with 2 active members? You can make decisions or you can sleep on. I did the first.

I am for the counsel.

Cheers,
Ray

Edit: Some news about the wallet; Yesterday i had short look to our checkpoints. Tongue Last Checkpoint: Genesis Block.... *facepalm*
After the next update you should fasten your seatbelt.
legendary
Yo chill ,

There really does not need to be an argument based on what speed zeitcoin price grows at.

Podizzle was just concerned because Lion seemed to be taking 2 different views at the same time.

Podizzle ,
 Lion was concerned that if the price went so high to fast that it would then crash and kill zeitcoin.
That is why he was agitated in both directions. He has seen zeitcoin on the verge for so long that for him it is still an issue.

Lion,
 Ray was just expressing that he did not agreed with your earlier statement.
We are all trying to help zeit be what we know it can be, in our own ways.
Most of the things each of us is doing at the moment does not require voting yet.
The Voting will come when the knights arrive in 2015.

The Zeit Counsel of Knights will happen in 2015, no worries.

Keep your Coins & Hang around,
I said zeitcoin price would rise and it is almost double from when I first made that statement.
so when I say zeitcoin's price will be 10x higher than what it currently is, it is not a guess or speculation.

On the trading front, it may move slowly and then have explosive increases and then fall just as fast ,
but you can feel the change in the market, it will spring back just as fast, no worries.
Those days of thinking that zeitcoin could die are gone, wide price swings sure , but then zeitcoin will rise right back up and soar higher.

Cool
Slow, steady, meaningful growth is what we need. Not the encouragement of the pump&dumpers who plague these forums. Preferably backed up with solid buy-support.....
People should choose what we need... interdict what the people want is not zeit-like... we are democratically!

1) This was, and everything I say is, no more than my personal opinion, speaking as someone who has (I hope) proven my devotion to the long-term success of this coin as opposed to short-term gain.

2) We are nowhere even close to a democracy - yet. Even the proposed council is not democratic.

3) You, and everyone else, have just as much right to express opinions about strategy here as I do.

4) Simply saying 'I disagree with you' without offering an alternative strategy & the reasons for it is getting a bit close to fud for my liking.

5) Over the last 6 months, you have made many unilateral decisions about many aspects of this coin & its' community. Most of them have been good ones, but the point is - I suppose  - that not one of them has been discussed & approved in even the most cursory manner. Right now, 'we' have absolutely zero control over anything except our own thoughts.

Will you even permit the council to happen if it means giving up your 'power'?

Would you rather I just dumped my Zeit & fucked off, never to be heard from again?
legendary
As I forecast not an hour ago Sad

craptsy is now full of sells, pushing the price back down.

Too much too soon, people.

CALM THE FUCK DOWN!

So you're mad when the price goes up now you're mad that it's going down.  Makes sense. Clearly 0 volume will get more people interested.  Also what kind of poverty hut do you live in that $400 worth of volume is "TOO MUCH CALM THE FUCK DOWN"

Slow, steady, meaningful growth is what we need. Not the encouragement of the pump&dumpers who plague these forums. Preferably backed up with solid buy-support. See posts above.

..and btw, I'm at the 'do I buy milk or toilet paper' poverty level right now.
Activity: 535
Merit: 500
As I forecast not an hour ago Sad

craptsy is now full of sells, pushing the price back down.

Too much too soon, people.

CALM THE FUCK DOWN!

So you're mad when the price goes up now you're mad that it's going down.  Makes sense. Clearly 0 volume will get more people interested.  Also what kind of poverty hut do you live in that $400 worth of volume is "TOO MUCH CALM THE FUCK DOWN"

We seem to be holding steady around 40.

But perhaps less emphasis on buying & more on building buy support just below this level might be a better strategy for the long term, right now?

That's what I'm trying to do (on Comkort) anyway.

I'll be 'cashing out' my Blake earnings on Saturday (after one whole week of mining, to make profitability calculations easier) directly into LTC (via blaketrader.com) to bolster my efforts.

As I seem to have scared off all the fud-pedlars & bullshit merchants from these parts recently, I've had to travel further afield to find a wee bit of recreational 'sport'.

Hope you enjoy this little missive -

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.9133358

And if he does dare take up my challenge, FFS just leave him to me, will ya?
legendary
Allcrypt:
Deposits and withdrawals are impossible at the moment. No new blocks have been received in 2.3 hours. Average block time for the last 48 hours has been 139.39 minutes.

figures, i just fired up the wallet to make a wd. not seeing any problem with it, it's up to the minute.  Huh
Everything is looking good: Click  Wink

Contact Allcrypt support , they must be having issues with their system.
Zeitcoin is working normally.

Cool

FYI:
Checked https://www.allcrypt.com/blog/  for info and this popped up
Error establishing a database connection

legendary
Allcrypt:

Everything is looking good: Click  Wink
legendary
Activity: 1894
Allcrypt:

Activity: 76
Merit: 10
Hey @ all.

Why do we meet just here? We have a Zeitcoin Forum.

https://forum.zeit-coin.net

Let us use it. For people who doesn´t knew us, it isn´t looking very good that the last posts are a couple of weeks old.
Zeitcoin isn´t dead, so let us reanimate the Forum too.

Jump to: