Pages:
Author

Topic: . - page 2. (Read 19621 times)

Activity: 784
Merit: 506
November 18, 2012, 12:25:26 PM
More coverage on this story from American Banker and IEEE's Spectrum.  I particularly like Spectrum's analogy of the lonely school kid whose now hanging out with in crowd!
Activity: 868
Merit: 1000
November 18, 2012, 06:15:16 AM

lol, wordpress needs marketing? it's only like 90% of the blogs online uses it? it's unlikely for a user to know bitcoin, but unaware of wordpress. Bitcoin is far less well known compared to wordpress.

Established brand names need marketing too. How do you think one stays on top. Here's an example. Why did Google leave China?

Complacement is the enemy of any successful entity. There's no such thing as status quo. Either you regress, or you progress. There was a big car company in a nordic company that sold the most cars, and the management figured that everybody knew about them, so further marketing would be wasted. In less than 2 years, they lost their place as the most sold brand.

There's a reason why companies like Nike and Coca Cola uses so much money on marketing.
legendary
Activity: 1050
Merit: 1003
November 18, 2012, 04:09:57 AM

he doesn't even understand. news flash: bitcoin doesn't charge 23.99% APR on purchases

I'm confused. Neither do credit cards if you pay your balance each month. Are you an undischarged bankrupt?

why use his credit card if he could pay the fucker off. localbitcoins.com easier than buying bitcoins with a f'ing credit card
Hmm... Because the credit card company pays me to use its card, hoping that they can entice me into a usurious debt arrangement.

That is also a marketing scheme.
Activity: 756
Merit: 500
November 18, 2012, 04:03:59 AM

he doesn't even understand. news flash: bitcoin doesn't charge 23.99% APR on purchases

I'm confused. Neither do credit cards if you pay your balance each month. Are you an undischarged bankrupt?

why use his credit card if he could pay the fucker off. localbitcoins.com easier than buying bitcoins with a f'ing credit card

didn't know you were the one who made the original statement

Just read their press announcement. The bitcoin option isn't meant for users like you. This is for people who have trouble using CC and paypal. If it truly is cheaper they would be smart to offer a discount paying with that option. Like you said there are probably other issues like their contracts with the CC company though.

Sounds like it is mainly for marketing reasons then. Bitcoin, apparently, is hip.

totally hip

don't forget people who dont have credit cards but have laptops

Did they buy the laptop with bitcoins?  What ever happened to debit cards?

a comet hit the earth and made the debit cards extinct, remember? 1st grade stuff
Activity: 532
November 18, 2012, 04:00:27 AM

Just read their press announcement. The bitcoin option isn't meant for users like you. This is for people who have trouble using CC and paypal. If it truly is cheaper they would be smart to offer a discount paying with that option. Like you said there are probably other issues like their contracts with the CC company though.

Sounds like it is mainly for marketing reasons then. Bitcoin, apparently, is hip.

totally hip

Did they buy the laptop with bitcoins?  What ever happened to debit cards?
November 17, 2012, 11:45:35 PM

totally hip

legendary
November 17, 2012, 11:43:46 PM

November 17, 2012, 11:22:24 PM
Are they offering any type of discount for bitcoin use?

Why would they give discount if they have to pay a fee to the BitPay similarly as they would pay to PayPal ?

Also, even if they processed the Bitcoins themselves, they would still have to convert BTC to dollars anyway, so there is another small loss in the process of exchange.

Assuming that BitPay and Wordpress are well-managed (big assumption), BitPay is giving Wordpress a significant discount on its advertised processing fee, and Wordpress is passing part
of the savings on to customers.

[It is also possible that the CC cartel interferes with this. Funny thing about bitcoin libertarians. They like cartels, but cartels fuck them anally. Does this mean libertarians are bottoms?]

If wordpress does not do this, then bitcoin will not be used by a meaningful number of Wordpress customers. If bitcoin is not used by a meaningful number of wordpress customers,
then bitcoin adoption will negatively affect wordpress' bottom line.

Payoff = Additional Margin from Bitcoin Payment vs. CC (negligible without volume) + Additional Customers who can only access bitcoin (absolutely negligible) - Adoption cost

This will be negative unless a discount is offered to increase the volume of BTC payments.

To sum up in different words. BitPay claims that the CC companies are taking 11% on some wordpress payments vs. ~3% via BitPay. Wordpress should introduce an incentive for customers to use bitcoins so that
it can earn larger margins. Otherwise, what is the point for Wordpress? Customers are not going to use bitcoin for the hell of it. I don't get any miles when I pay with bitcoin. Unless there is a discount, I pay with my card every single time.

legendary
November 17, 2012, 10:55:48 PM
Established brand names need marketing too. How do you think one stays on top. Here's an example. Why did Google leave China?

Because only Nixon could go to China.

That wasn't what I was thinking of. But it is a very good answer.
legendary
Activity: 1260
November 17, 2012, 10:51:59 PM

Because only Nixon could go to China.
legendary
November 17, 2012, 10:33:21 PM

lol, wordpress needs marketing? it's only like 90% of the blogs online uses it? it's unlikely for a user to know bitcoin, but unaware of wordpress. Bitcoin is far less well known compared to wordpress.

legendary
Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570
Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending
November 17, 2012, 07:00:45 PM
Just read their press announcement. The bitcoin option isn't meant for users like you. This is for people who have trouble using CC and paypal.
Yep. I do not have a credit card, so I also can't have a paypal account. If I want to buy something online, I can either wire the money, or beg one of my friends to order it for me (or go to the bank and get a credit card, but I am way too lazy for that). Using bitcoin for me is a total no-brainer, and I'm sure I'm not the only having this problem.

Unless something changed most recently, anybody can open a LIMITED-USE PayPal account without giving a CC or any other bank info. They can even use a pseudonym (must at least look like a real name--Randy Folds may not cut the mustard).
Activity: 41
Merit: 0
November 17, 2012, 05:23:57 PM
Just read their press announcement. The bitcoin option isn't meant for users like you. This is for people who have trouble using CC and paypal.
Yep. I do not have a credit card, so I also can't have a paypal account. If I want to buy something online, I can either wire the money, or beg one of my friends to order it for me (or go to the bank and get a credit card, but I am way too lazy for that). Using bitcoin for me is a total no-brainer, and I'm sure I'm not the only having this problem.
legendary
Activity: 1806
November 17, 2012, 04:42:32 PM

legendary
November 17, 2012, 02:44:40 PM

Activity: 728
November 17, 2012, 01:58:32 PM
Are they offering any type of discount for bitcoin use?

Why would they give discount if they have to pay a fee to the BitPay similarly as they would pay to PayPal ?

Also, even if they processed the Bitcoins themselves, they would still have to convert BTC to dollars anyway, so there is another small loss in the process of exchange.

Assuming that BitPay and Wordpress are well-managed (big assumption), BitPay is giving Wordpress a significant discount on its advertised processing fee, and Wordpress is passing part
of the savings on to customers.

[It is also possible that the CC cartel interferes with this. Funny thing about bitcoin libertarians. They like cartels, but cartels fuck them anally. Does this mean libertarians are bottoms?]

If wordpress does not do this, then bitcoin will not be used by a meaningful number of Wordpress customers. If bitcoin is not used by a meaningful number of wordpress customers,
then bitcoin adoption will negatively affect wordpress' bottom line.

Payoff = Additional Margin from Bitcoin Payment vs. CC (negligible without volume) + Additional Customers who can only access bitcoin (absolutely negligible) - Adoption cost

This will be negative unless a discount is offered to increase the volume of BTC payments.

To sum up in different words. BitPay claims that the CC companies are taking 11% on some wordpress payments vs. ~3% via BitPay. Wordpress should introduce an incentive for customers to use bitcoins so that
it can earn larger margins. Otherwise, what is the point for Wordpress? Customers are not going to use bitcoin for the hell of it. I don't get any miles when I pay with bitcoin. Unless there is a discount, I pay with my card every single time.

legendary
Activity: 1227
November 17, 2012, 11:54:58 AM

Search around the internet for some kids in Africa with a blog site on Wordpress.  Convince them to accept donations in bitcoins, a handful of us chip in, and with like 3 BTC they can upgrade and improve their blog.

LOL. "Wanted Nigerian Scammer who accepts bitcoin" I can't wait to see that blow up in your face.

Just wait till the Somali pirates starts learning about bitcoin!

Perhaps we will see pirates with EMG weapons, and shippers will get this threat:

"Pay 200K bitcoins to 1asxddffsa3334r541234 within 12 hours, or expect all your ships passing woddoloddidoo waters to be incapacitated for the following week."

LOL.
Activity: 770
Merit: 502
November 17, 2012, 11:52:22 AM
Nice to see more places to accept bitcoin. Bitcoin makes life easier, click send. Heard about this from hardocp.com hardocp news
legendary
Activity: 1806
November 17, 2012, 11:47:25 AM
I think this news is great! We need more big players accepting bitcoins to make bitcoin mainstream.
Hopefully this is the first big player of many to accept bitcoins - I can already see the exchange rate has gone up since this announcement!

I bet the next big deal will be wikipedia or reddit announcing acceptance of bitcoin.
Activity: 504
November 17, 2012, 09:47:56 AM
I think this news is great! We need more big players accepting bitcoins to make bitcoin mainstream.
Hopefully this is the first big player of many to accept bitcoins - I can already see the exchange rate has gone up since this announcement!
Pages:
Jump to: