Author

Topic: . - page 9. (Read 19624 times)

legendary
Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570
Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending
November 15, 2012, 09:17:11 PM
@gweedo can you STFU? Please

Why? cause I disagree that wordpress is the almighty blogging platform. I just don't like wordpress company, plus they said this is half ass launched, they should support anything they sell in bitcoins, and do it right, instead of just half or pick and choose. Sorry my opinion is different and I forgot this isn't a forum for discussions.

For what it's worth, I respect your opinion and wasn't dissing you by posting comments/replies to your posts. (I know your post above wasn't directed toward me, but I wanted to go on record, nonetheless)
legendary
November 15, 2012, 09:08:56 PM
How can people always find some bad side of any good story... this is crazy c'mon think positive, once again this is great news  Cool

We're fucked! The world ain't ready for Bitcoin yet. We need to stop this madness. Can those over at The Bitcoin Foundation put a stop to all this acceptance stuff, starting with having Wordpress change their policy?

Somehow, I feel that BitPay is behind this. We need to have a sPammer tag in place to deal with these rascals.

~Cackling Bear~
legendary
Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014
Strength in numbers
November 15, 2012, 09:07:12 PM
This is good news, but: How exactly is this target group supposed to get hold of bitcoins? Oh, right. There are no bitcoin exchanges in Kenya, Haiti, Cuba, or Iraq. I am not being sarcastic, but genuinely concerned about this problem.

I have a lot of bitcoins, I don't use exchanges. Many people in those countries have skills that someone somewhere in the world might pay for.
legendary
November 15, 2012, 09:05:06 PM
Take a gander at some of the comments below the announcement: http://en.blog.wordpress.com/2012/11/15/pay-another-way-bitcoin/
legendary
Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002
November 15, 2012, 09:04:29 PM
It's these little acorns...

That's how bottom up works  Cool
Activity: 547
Merit: 531
First bits: 12good
November 15, 2012, 09:03:38 PM
How can people always find some bad side of any good story... this is crazy c'mon think positive, once again this is great news  Cool
legendary
Activity: 1498
Merit: 1000
November 15, 2012, 08:55:18 PM
I honestly don't care about richest company. It isn't like they are pumping the money into bitcoins anyway and after a little bump in the price of bitcoins, I doubt it will stay there. I want substance, that is a disappointment here.
I'll be nice and explain it to you just this once:

The reason most of us are so excited about this is not necessarily because we hope to see a significant increase in the exchange rate or immediate general use but because a giant rich company like that actually announcing to the world that they think Bitcoin is a legit option is a huge nod of approval which will be heard loud and clear by everyone else on the sidelines indecisive perhaps about jumping in. In other words we are mostly excited for the PR effect this move will have that will eventually hopefully lead to more Bitcoin users and a higher exchange rate!

I hope that was clear enough.

*facepalm* I clearly said that in my very first post here, the exposer will be great for bitcoin community so yeah.

I am going to rain on this parade a little bit, but WORDPRESS really? It is awesome that they are accepting bitcoins, great exposer, but wordpress isn't that great of a company. Plus they launched a small part of that, they should have waited until the can launch there bundles with bitcoins. They claim is due to technical issues, so why not wait the month or two until it is setup.
Yeah it's only like the 22nd largest site in the world..

I don't care if they were the 1st largest site, as I said great press but they limited what is being able to purchased. Plus when was the last time you saw a company blog powered by wordpress? Everyone is switching there blogs to tumblr, if you haven't noticed. Wordpress is just trying to copy tumblr now, kinda sad.

but wordpress isn't that great of a company.

It's the richest company to ever accept bitcoins yet! http://allthingsd.com/20120425/automattic-grows-up-the-company-behind-wordpress-com-shares-revenue-numbers-and-hires-execs/

WordPress now powers 70 million sites, up from 35 million sites a year ago. Almost half of the biggest blogs in the world are hosted by WordPress.com or run on their own versions of the open-source WordPress platform.
The company is profitable, and expects to bring in $45 million in revenue this year, according to CEO Toni Schneider and founder Matt Mullenweg.

I honestly don't care about richest company. It isn't like they are pumping the money into bitcoins anyway and after a little bump in the price of bitcoins, I doubt it will stay there. I want substance, that is a disappointment here.

WordPress completely dominates top 100 blogs Posted in Main on April 11th, 2012 by Pingdom

WordPress is no doubt a very popular web publishing platform for blogs and other types of websites. But just how popular is it?

We just completed a study and found that WordPress is in use by 48% of the top 100 blogs in the world. This is an increase from the 32% we recorded three years ago.

Plus, take a look at this page: http://en.wordpress.com/notable-users/

Did you read the first article posted? Most of the wordpress blogs are self hosted so yeah they will ignore the bitcoins since this only applies to wordpress.com hosted blogs. But twitter, canv.as, Intsagram, and many more use tumblr as a blogging platform. Plus when was the last time you read a NYT blog post, I never even knew they had a blog.
legendary
November 15, 2012, 09:03:31 PM

The reason most of us are so excited about this is not necessarily because we hope to see a significant increase in the exchange rate or immediate general use but because a giant rich company like that actually announcing to the world that they think Bitcoin is a legit option is a huge nod of approval which will be heard loud and clear by everyone else on the sidelines indecisive perhaps about jumping in. In other words we are mostly excited for the PR effect this move will have that will eventually hopefully lead to more Bitcoin users and a higher exchange rate!

*facepalm* I clearly said that in my very first post here, the exposer will be great for bitcoin community so yeah.

I am going to rain on this parade a little bit, but WORDPRESS really? It is awesome that they are accepting bitcoins, great exposer, but wordpress isn't that great of a company. Plus they launched a small part of that, they should have waited until the can launch there bundles with bitcoins. They claim is due to technical issues, so why not wait the month or two until it is setup.

I don't care if they were the 1st largest site, as I said great press but they limited what is being able to purchased. Plus when was the last time you saw a company blog powered by wordpress? Everyone is switching there blogs to tumblr, if you haven't noticed. Wordpress is just trying to copy tumblr now, kinda sad.

It's the richest company to ever accept bitcoins yet! http://allthingsd.com/20120425/automattic-grows-up-the-company-behind-wordpress-com-shares-revenue-numbers-and-hires-execs/

WordPress now powers 70 million sites, up from 35 million sites a year ago. Almost half of the biggest blogs in the world are hosted by WordPress.com or run on their own versions of the open-source WordPress platform.
The company is profitable, and expects to bring in $45 million in revenue this year, according to CEO Toni Schneider and founder Matt Mullenweg.

WordPress completely dominates top 100 blogs Posted in Main on April 11th, 2012 by Pingdom

WordPress is no doubt a very popular web publishing platform for blogs and other types of websites. But just how popular is it?

We just completed a study and found that WordPress is in use by 48% of the top 100 blogs in the world. This is an increase from the 32% we recorded three years ago.

Did you read the first article posted? Most of the wordpress blogs are self hosted so yeah they will ignore the bitcoins since this only applies to wordpress.com hosted blogs. But twitter, canv.as, Intsagram, and many more use tumblr as a blogging platform. Plus when was the last time you read a NYT blog post, I never even knew they had a blog.

If not now, then later will one be able to upgrade via Bitcoin to a self-hosted blog:

Bitcoin should be accepted for all purchases within two or three months.
Activity: 784
Annuit cœptis humanae libertas
November 15, 2012, 09:02:54 PM
This is good news, but: How exactly is this target group supposed to get hold of bitcoins? Oh, right. There are no bitcoin exchanges in Kenya, Haiti, Cuba, or Iraq. I am not being sarcastic, but genuinely concerned about this problem.
Remittances and donations should be more than sufficient. Most bloggers from these countries have family abroad who do have access to bitcoins, and if they have any international audience at all it's shouldn't be hard to get enough bitcoins from their readers to pay for the services.

I managed to get a friend in Botswana into Bitcoin. He doesn't have a lot of BTC right now but he's clearly keen on its potential.

It's these little acorns...
legendary
Activity: 924
Merit: 1004
Firstbits: 1pirata
November 15, 2012, 08:59:24 PM
@gweedo can you STFU? Please
legendary
Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002
November 15, 2012, 08:54:41 PM
Whatever the reason, we don’t think an individual blogger from Haiti, Ethiopia, or Kenya should have diminished access to the blogosphere because of payment issues they can’t control. Our goal is to enable people, not block them."

me too!
legendary
Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009
November 15, 2012, 08:51:01 PM
Remittances and donations should be more than sufficient. Most bloggers from these countries have family abroad who do have access to bitcoins, and if they have any international audience at all it's shouldn't be hard to get enough bitcoins from their readers to pay for the services.
legendary
Activity: 4214
Merit: 4458
November 15, 2012, 08:48:48 PM
amazing

the start of getting bitcoin recognised legitimately so here's a round of applause from the big man himself
legendary
November 15, 2012, 08:45:52 PM

Bitcoin has many "chicken and egg" type issues, this being one out of many. I wouldn't let it get you down, as the more that services build up that accept BTC, the more incentive there will be for people to set up exchange services of some sort in these countries.

I thoroughly applaud this move, we now have:

- highly significant competitor to electronics stores in the form of bitcoinblaster.com and bitcoinstore.com (and I'm really hoping the latter will continue to branch out into more of an amazon.com competitor, early signs of this already)
- digital locker hosting courtesy of Wuala
- significant acceptance among MMPORG sites, either directly or indirectly through forums
- online marketplace in Bitmit.net
- various merchants for precious metals and coins
- limited but growing foodstuffs and real life restaurants/bars (really looking forward to more growth in this area, everyday use products like food and toiletries are a vital link for any fledgling economy)
- several VPN providers now accept
- various payments and transaction services
- perhaps more gambling than sites than necessary (it was bound to happen though!)
- wordpress, one of the big players in blog hosting

Some of these businesses have the potential to really outcompete their fiat alternatives, and a name like wordpress stepping in will only put pressure on the more established outfits to look into Bitcoin. Quite exciting to contemplate, we are beginning to get a real momentum together.

This post sucks, for I'm only preparing a conference/expo/retreat to accommodate about 200 bitcoiners/techies: https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/poll-tack-tech-2013-124314
legendary
Activity: 1386
Merit: 1003
November 15, 2012, 08:43:26 PM
Wow.  This is pretty big.  I just love this statement:

"PayPal alone blocks access from over 60 countries, and many credit card companies have similar restrictions. Some are blocked for political reasons, some because of higher fraud rates, and some for other financial reasons. Whatever the reason, we don’t think an individual blogger from Haiti, Ethiopia, or Kenya should have diminished access to the blogosphere because of payment issues they can’t control. Our goal is to enable people, not block them."

legendary
Activity: 3430
Merit: 3071
November 15, 2012, 08:40:11 PM

Bitcoin has many "chicken and egg" type issues, this being one out of many. I wouldn't let it get you down, as the more that services build up that accept BTC, the more incentive there will be for people to set up exchange services of some sort in these countries.

I thoroughly applaud this move, we now have:

- highly significant competitor to electronics stores in the form of bitcoinblaster.com and bitcoinstore.com (and I'm really hoping the latter will continue to branch out into more of an amazon.com competitor, early signs of this already)
- digital locker hosting courtesy of Wuala
- significant acceptance among MMPORG sites, either directly or indirectly through forums
- online marketplace in Bitmit.net
- various merchants for precious metals and coins
- limited but growing foodstuffs and real life restaurants/bars (really looking forward to more growth in this area, everyday use products like food and toiletries are a vital link for any fledgling economy)
- several VPN providers now accept
- various payments and transaction services
- perhaps more gambling than sites than necessary (it was bound to happen though!)
- wordpress, one of the big players in blog hosting

Some of these businesses have the potential to really outcompete their fiat alternatives, and a name like wordpress stepping in will only put pressure on the more established outfits to look into Bitcoin. Quite exciting to contemplate, we are beginning to get a real momentum together.

legendary
November 15, 2012, 08:38:48 PM

legendary
Activity: 924
Merit: 1004
Firstbits: 1pirata
November 15, 2012, 08:33:21 PM
This is awesome   Grin
legendary
Activity: 1498
November 15, 2012, 08:15:57 PM

Activity: 614
Merit: 500
November 15, 2012, 08:26:33 PM

Some people lack foresight... even in the Bitcoin community.
Pages:
Jump to: