November 16, 2012, 11:36:21 AM
Awesome. Now if only reddit followed suite:
legendary
Activity: 1227
Merit: 1000
November 16, 2012, 11:29:09 AM
Excellent Jon Matonis article on this:
What's Your Bitcoin Strategy? WordPress Now Accepts Bitcoin Across The Planet
http://www.forbes.com/sites/jonmatonis/2012/11/16/whats-your-bitcoin-strategy-wordpress-now-accepts-bitcoin-across-the-planet/

I awoke to incredible news this morning. Leading web publishing service WordPress.com announced that they will begin accepting the nonpolitical cryptographic money Bitcoin as a payment method for various upgrades.

Then I remembered that WordPress is our online publishing platform. It’s also the blog platform for The New York Times, CNN, Reuters, Mashable, NBC Sports, GigaOm, TechCrunch, ELLE Girl, RealClearPolitics, TED, National Football League, General Motors, UPS, eBay, Sony, and Volkswagen.
Activity: 247
Merit: 250
November 16, 2012, 11:25:56 AM
Too bad Peter Thiel isn't still in charge of Paypal.  Bitcoin seems right up his alley.  But Paypal has fallen pretty far from the tree.  I can see BitInstant or Bitpay totally replacing Paypal in the near future.  Maybe Peter should throw some money at one of those companies.  That's an investment I would get behind.  Bitpay or Bitinstant accepting investment money for ownership shares?
legendary
Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570
Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending
November 16, 2012, 11:06:49 AM
The crazy part for me is that my wife was buying from wordpress today. She is setting up a wedding website for her sister. She is sending them an email stating that their acceptance of BTC was the final persuasion.

Yes, this is big news. Other sites will follow wordpress and reddit.
Rally time?

Development on Squidoo started in 2005, launching a beta testing period in October of that year. The launch team consisted of Seth Godin, his book editor Megan Casey, former Fast Company employee Heath Row, Corey Brown, and Gil Hildebrand, Jr.
Activity: 147
Merit: 100
November 16, 2012, 11:05:55 AM
I guess this will also push Reddit to accept Bitcoins too.
legendary
Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570
Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending
November 16, 2012, 11:03:34 AM
The truth is that they can now start accepting payments with only a 0.99% fee charged by Bitpay instead of a 3% + $0.30 fee by paypal and credit cards.

Capitalism wins!
you cant compare paypal and bitpay like that. Bitpay charges almost 3% to have your funds in USD. ...SO its pretty close to paypal fees..
But there is company called Samplepay charges only 2.8% for cc transactions and no other fees just monthly

But zero chargebacks. Plus, WP doesn't have to convert to fiat. I'm sure they always need stuff for their office. They can head on over to Memory Dealers and make purchases. I'm also pretty sure that they may have cash prizes for their employees as incentives. They can now award the winners with Bitcoin.

Since Bitcoin will only be a small part of their income at first, they can simply amass them until the value goes up, cashing them out latter, thus overcoming the vig. In fact, they win even if they don't cash out a single coin before the price plummets, because they have added subscribers without using a cent of advertising. Genius!

~Bruno K~
legendary
Activity: 3066
Merit: 1147
The revolution will be monetized!
November 16, 2012, 10:57:27 AM
The crazy part for me is that my wife was buying from wordpress today. She is setting up a wedding website for her sister. She is sending them an email stating that their acceptance of BTC was the final persuasion.

Yes, this is big news. Other sites will follow wordpress and reddit.
Rally time?
Activity: 868
November 16, 2012, 10:50:34 AM
Very good news indeed. I celebrated this by closing my paypal account for good.

Great, you should send them an e-mail telling them that you have converted to bitcoin.
legendary
Activity: 1890
Landscaping Bitcoin for India!
November 16, 2012, 10:48:52 AM
Proud to be a Wordpress Blogger on Bitcoin. Smiley
legendary
Activity: 1227
November 16, 2012, 10:35:50 AM
This is very exciting news.  i was in the middle of a 7 hour drive when the announcement broke, so I'm catching up on all of the news now.  It looks like the press is picking up the story so I would expect much more coverage on Friday.

We have been working with Wordpress for about 3 months on this project.  It is exciting to see it finally launched!

Tony

Congrats!  You are changing the world!
Activity: 158
Merit: 10
November 16, 2012, 10:33:27 AM
The truth is that they can now start accepting payments with only a 0.99% fee charged by Bitpay instead of a 3% + $0.30 fee by paypal and credit cards.

Capitalism wins!
you cant compare paypal and bitpay like that. Bitpay charges almost 3% to have your funds in USD. ...SO its pretty close to paypal fees..
But there is company called Samplepay charges only 2.8% for cc transactions and no other fees just monthly
legendary
Activity: 1470
Merit: 1005
Bringing Legendary Har® to you since 1952
November 16, 2012, 10:08:20 AM
I find following response appropriate for this occasion:

AWWWWWWWESSSSSSOME !!
Activity: 756
Merit: 500
November 16, 2012, 09:22:43 AM
Well bitcoin just got a BJ

Activity: 868
November 16, 2012, 09:09:04 AM
The "bitcoin enables electronic freedom of the word press" angle on this that WP have gone out of their way to highlight kind of makes EFF lawyers look like yellow muppets for not getting out in front of ... maybe this will give them some spine?

+1000
legendary
Activity: 1036
November 16, 2012, 08:17:25 AM
Let's all get upgraded WordPress blogs!

Almost up to 300 points on reddit! Biggest news ever.
legendary
Activity: 3920
Merit: 2349
Eadem mutata resurgo
November 16, 2012, 08:16:09 AM
I would not be surprised if their knee jerk reaction was: "Remove bitcoin from your site, or else we will freeze your PayPal accounts"
A move like that would have a very high potential of backfiring.

Wordpress has a big soapbox, and PayPal needs Wordpress more than Wordpress needs PayPal.

This is extremely important. WordPress is synomous with freedom of speech. This allows us to reframe the Bitcoin debate from being used to buy drugs to ensuring our freedom of speech. We saw how fast the Internet rallied against SOPA, PIPA, etc. Bitcoin will get a lot more public support for freedom of speech. Coupled with the everyone with a soapbox using Bitcoin to pay for their soapbox ... I cannot really think of a more important propellant for public Bitcoin support.

PayPal recently fired 325 employees and 120 independent contractors. If they tried to freeze WordPress they would encounter a fury from the Internet like SOPA did. I imagine a lot of bloggers would boycott Paypal out of spite.

The "bitcoin enables electronic freedom of the word press" angle on this that WP have gone out of their way to highlight kind of makes EFF lawyers look like yellow muppets for not getting out in front of ... maybe this will give them some spine?
legendary
Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002
November 16, 2012, 08:03:12 AM
In case people missed it the wordpress.com Bitcoin story is the 2nd hottest topic on r/technology which has over 2M subscribers!
Activity: 381
Merit: 255
November 16, 2012, 07:33:35 AM
Very good news indeed. I celebrated this by closing my paypal account for good.
legendary
Activity: 1536
electronic [r]evolution
November 16, 2012, 07:19:31 AM
Way to go WordPress. The big players are making their way into the game... had to happen sooner or later, the benefits of bitcoin simply cannot be denied.
Activity: 420
Merit: 250
November 16, 2012, 07:17:22 AM
WOW!
Pages:
Jump to: