Pages:
Author

Topic: [1200 TH] EMC: 0 Fee DGM. Anonymous PPS. US & EU servers. No Registration! - page 49. (Read 499597 times)

Activity: 981
Merit: 500
DIV - Your "Virtual Life" Secured and Decentralize
Hey Inaba could you check the email system. The last email I had delivered to inbox or junk mail was on Sunday.
Thank You!
Activity: 807
I am assuming letting miners pick their target is a losing option based solely on my opinion of human nature.

Seems to work ok at HHTT.
I assume ASICs don't exist yet.  I have seen a lot of posts about "the biggest miners donate the least."  IF the biggest miners are that selfish, it seems like a safe assumption that they will choose lower diff in order to decrease variance for the same reasons they donate the least.  I know this is an assumption, hence the comment: "based solely on my opinion of human nature."
donator
Activity: 2058
Merit: 1007
Poor impulse control.
It looks like 20 - 24 is an optimal range to satisfy the 1 minute emotional need for the vast majority of people... am I reading that right?

I think whatever you use the 1 minute variance is going to be something people will worry about. At 20 shares per minute the 95% CI for average per minute hashrate is -40% to +45%, and at 24 shares per minute the 95% CI for average per minute hashrate is -38% to +42%. At 1Ghps and difficulty 1 you're only submitting an average of 13.98 shares per minute anyway.

I'll try to find a way to compare variance miners already experience at pool D = 1 to what they'd experience at another D or number of shares per minute.

Otherwise I think the variance in share submission rates a 1Ghps miner experiences at pool D = 1 should be fine for most miners. Say 14 shares per minute to make it easier to calculate pool D. It also makes it easier for miners to know when the variable pool D begins - at 1Ghps and below pool D = 1, and above 1Ghps pool D starts to increase.

Unless you plan on making the relationship completely linear and reducing pool D to less than one? It would be a great selling point for the tinier miners.
legendary
Activity: 1260
Merit: 1000
It looks like 20 - 24 is an optimal range to satisfy the 1 minute emotional need for the vast majority of people... am I reading that right?
donator
Poor impulse control.
So a better conclusion (and I'm still in this thread because I am trying to understand your work only as it applies to his pool right now) would be "if one wants to use a target number of shares per minute, he can only refer to the graphs in the first section to cherry-pick a variation range."

Yes. Or the table. Or the CSV files (can't post links here unfortunately)

I am assuming letting miners pick their target is a losing option based solely on my opinion of human nature.

Seems to work ok at HHTT.
So a better conclusion (and I'm still in this thread because I am trying to understand your work only as it applies to his pool right now) would be "if one wants to use a target number of shares per minute, he can only refer to the graphs in the first section to cherry-pick a variation range."  I am assuming letting miners pick their target is a losing option based solely on my opinion of human nature.
donator
Poor impulse control.
Would "a target of 13 shares per minute would keep variance most consistent with a 1gh/s connection" be a valid conclusion?  I gathered this primarily from the last chart in your blog.  I don't know if that is Inaba's goal anyway, but someone mentioned a desire for something to that effect.
The exact number is 13.969838619232177734375 shares per minute: 60 seconds ÷ (232 nonces-per-pdiff1-share-on-average ÷ 1,000,000,000 hashes-per-second)

OK then:

A target of 13.969838619232177734375 shares per minute would keep variation in average average per minute hashrate to -50% to 57.5%, variation in average hourly hashrate to ~ +/- 6.7% and variation in average daily hashrate to +/- 1.4%, all with 95% confidence.
donator
Poor impulse control.
Would "a target of 13 shares per minute would keep variance most consistent with a 1gh/s connection" be a valid conclusion?  I gathered this primarily from the last chart in your blog.  I don't know if that is Inaba's goal anyway, but someone mentioned a desire for something to that effect.

This probably belongs over in the Neighbourhood Pool Watch thread, but anyway your answer is no it would not be a valid conclusion. If Inaba plans on having a set difficulty per minute for all miners then the variation in average hashrate does not depend on the miner hashrate.

This case is covered in the first table in section two.

A better conclusion would be "a target of 13 shares per minute would keep variation in average average per minute hashrate to -55% to 64%, variation in average hourly hashrate to ~ +/- 7% and variation in average daily hashrate to +/- 1.4%, all with 95% confidence.

HTH.
legendary
Activity: 2576
Merit: 1186
The exact number is 13.969838619232177734375 shares per minute: 60 seconds ÷ (232 nonces-per-pdiff1-share-on-average ÷ 1,000,000,000 hashes-per-second)
donator
Poor impulse control.
I had a bit more spare time than I thought I would, so I finished the post a little early. It's a bit of a rush job so please let me know if there are any words missing, typos, spelling errors etc.  Post is here: http://organofcorti.blogspot.com/2012/10/71-variable-pool-difficulty.html

If you have any comments or questions about it, please post a comment on the blog or leave a post here: https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/neighbourhood-pool-watch-66026
Activity: 784
Merit: 101

Interesting.  How long did you do this test?

M

About an hour in each configuration.

I don't think an hour is a fair test.  Maybe a week would shake out the inherent sine curve that tends to haunt mining.

M

OOf... I keep expecting next week to be the end of gpu mining :/ I'm running on borrowed time  and every day brings less BTC Smiley
I think I'm just going to leave it where it is and just forget about it.
legendary
Activity: 4592
Merit: 1851
Linux since 1997 RedHat 4

Interesting.  How long did you do this test?

M

Hmm - I'll have to go find that hour where one of my rigs ran 30% above expected results and count that as proof that the pool was better than every other pool in existence ...

Yes that was sarcasm.

Seriously, 1 hour means almost nothing in terms of working out which is best for you ...

The simple fact is that with higher difficulty you will get higher variance.
Standard BTC 101

None of the 3 servers will get you more or less expected BTC in the long term.

Edit: what you are looking for is something along the lines of:
If my hash rate is X GH/s what difficulty would give me an expected variance similar to hashing at 1GH/s with 1 difficulty shares.
... and that's a maths problem - not an observation problem.
donator
Poor impulse control.
Didn't organofcorti post somewhere the appropriate calculation?
(for vardiff)

It's somewhere in the p2Pool thread.

I'm flat out like a lizard drinking atm, but I'll do an NPW post in the next few days with charts and look up tables based on either a miner selecting a pool difficulty, or a pool selecting a number of shares per minute for all miners.

legendary
Activity: 1540
Merit: 1001

M

I don't think an hour is a fair test.  Maybe a week would shake out the inherent sine curve that tends to haunt mining.

M
vip
Activity: 1358
Merit: 1000
AKA: gigavps
I did some testing this afternoon using three workers on PPS.

Numbers:

combined daily earnings reported by website for all devices on 1 worker on us3. 0.61 BTC/day
combined daily earnings reported by website for one worker per device using us1,us2,us3 0.64 BTC/day
combined daily earnings reported by website for one worker per device using us3. 0.69 BTC/day

Hash rates reported by web server were 1.90Gh/s, 1.98GH/s, and 2.10GH/s

This is because us1 has the highest "share" variance because the server is targeting you to submit less shares per minute by using a higher diff. The more shares you submit per minute, the lower your variance.

M

legendary
Activity: 1540
Merit: 1001

I have 650-700MH/s per card. All cards are MSI R 7970 cards. I'm using BFGMiner.

I set up a worker for each card and pointed them at us1, us2, and us3.

To get it to run on different servers and to isolate each card I ran a separate instance of bfgminer for each card (Even the 2 which are on the same server)

with my rig, us3 produces the best return and I believe us1 produced the lowest return.

Also, all three devices on one worker produced lower returns than three workers on three servers.

Numbers:

combined daily earnings reported by website for all devices on 1 worker on us3. 0.61 BTC/day
combined daily earnings reported by website for one worker per device using us1,us2,us3 0.64 BTC/day
combined daily earnings reported by website for one worker per device using us3. 0.69 BTC/day

M

I have 650-700MH/s per card. All cards are MSI R 7970 cards. I'm using BFGMiner.

I set up a worker for each card and pointed them at us1, us2, and us3.

To get it to run on different servers and to isolate each card I ran a separate instance of bfgminer for each card (Even the 2 which are on the same server)

with my rig, us3 produces the best return and I believe us1 produced the lowest return.

Also, all three devices on one worker produced lower returns than three workers on three servers.

Numbers:

Pages:
Jump to: