Author

Topic: [1500 TH] p2pool: Decentralized, DoS-resistant, Hop-Proof pool - page 804. (Read 2591630 times)

Activity: 737
Merit: 500
Then rounds, they should last 10 seconds, but they're often a lot faster, see:

I see that a few months ago rounds went from 5 to 10 seconds, so I'm asking wouldn't it be better to have 1 minute long rounds?

Share difficulty is set so that they will be found every 10 seconds on average.  Just as with bitcoin blocks (which are supposed to be found every 10 minutes but are often found 2-3 minutes apart or 25 minutes apart), there will be variance in how frequently the shares are actually found.

An average of 1 share per minute would be accomplished by making share difficulty 6x higher.  That would increase variance for any given miner (which seems to be the opposite of what you are looking for).
Activity: 737
Merit: 500
I've been mining on P2P with 760MHs for four days now, but I'm mining just one third, more or less, of what I was getting when I was on a PPS pool.

I do understand that there is variance, but now I need a day where I mine 8 times as much just to be on par with my previous PPS payout.

Given the pool's current/recent hashrate, our average time to find a block should have been about 10-11 hours.  So in the past 96 hours, we should have found 9 or 10 blocks.  In reality we have found 9 blocks in that time frame.

So, we are pretty much hitting the average.  You should have made almost exactly the same amount in the past 4 days as you would have on a PPS pool unless your share-finding-luck has been crazy bad.  If you really have seen only 1/3rd as much, something almost has to be wrong because you almost certainly haven't been that unlucky finding shares. 

Have you confirmed that your stale rate is not abnormally high relative to the pool? 

Are you getting approx the same hashrate as before as reported by p2pool?

legendary
Activity: 1378
Merit: 1003
nec sine labore
Finally, I have moved all of my 500 MH/s to P2pool from deepbit. It feels good.

I've been mining on P2P with 760MHs for four days now, but I'm mining just one third, more or less, of what I was getting when I was on a PPS pool.

I do understand that there is variance, but now I need a day where I mine 8 times as much just to be on par with my previous PPS payout.

I don't think I'll see such a day soon, though.

Then rounds, they should last 10 seconds, but they're often a lot faster, see:

Code:
[2012-02-01 18:44:50] LONGPOLL requested work restart, waiting on fresh work
[2012-02-01 18:44:52] LONGPOLL requested work restart, waiting on fresh work
[2012-02-01 18:44:54] LONGPOLL requested work restart, waiting on fresh work
[2012-02-01 18:45:05] LONGPOLL requested work restart, waiting on fresh work
[2012-02-01 18:45:10] LONGPOLL requested work restart, waiting on fresh work
[2012-02-01 18:45:29] LONGPOLL requested work restart, waiting on fresh work
[2012-02-01 18:45:34] LONGPOLL requested work restart, waiting on fresh work
[2012-02-01 18:45:48] LONGPOLL requested work restart, waiting on fresh work
[2012-02-01 18:45:52] LONGPOLL requested work restart, waiting on fresh work
[2012-02-01 18:45:55] LONGPOLL requested work restart, waiting on fresh work
[2012-02-01 18:45:59] LONGPOLL requested work restart, waiting on fresh work
[2012-02-01 18:46:11] LONGPOLL requested work restart, waiting on fresh work
[2012-02-01 18:46:14] LONGPOLL requested work restart, waiting on fresh work
[2012-02-01 18:46:23] LONGPOLL requested work restart, waiting on fresh work
[2012-02-01 18:46:33] LONGPOLL requested work restart, waiting on fresh work
[2012-02-01 18:46:40] LONGPOLL requested work restart, waiting on fresh work

here we have 2, 2, 9, 5, 19, 5, 14, 4, 3, 4,  12, 3, 9, 10, 7 seconds rounds, there are a lot of 2 and 3 seconds long rounds.

I see that a few months ago rounds went from 5 to 10 seconds, so I'm asking wouldn't it be better to have 1 minute long rounds?

Can fast rounds give high MHs miners an advantage since they can exhaust the nonce range even in a very short round?

I'll keep my miner on P2P for a few more days, but if rewards keep being so scarce I'll have go back to a PPS pool or otherwise I feel like I'm just wasting power Sad

regards.

spiccioli.
Activity: 215
Merit: 100
Activity: 445
Merit: 250
Join P2pool. It is fun and you are in control.
Love that!  Grin
Does that mean I am better off just running bitcoind rather than Bitcoin-Qt?

Thats what I experienced too, I run bitcoind now.

Ente

Thanks. Now, I am running bitcoind.

Finally, I have moved all of my 500 MH/s to P2pool from deepbit. It feels good.
legendary
Activity: 2126
Merit: 1001

Thats what I experienced too, I run bitcoind now.

Ente
Activity: 516
Merit: 643

Yes.
the GUI crashed for me a few times as well
bitcoind is stable

Activity: 28
Merit: 0
the GUI crashed for me a few times as well
bitcoind is stable
P2pool seems to crash bitcoind occasionally. Does anyone have similar problem?
Activity: 154
Merit: 101
Bitcoin!
Is there any plan to pull p2pool support to mainstream bitcoin client?
I know it's kinda too early, but the whole process of mining will be a lot easier to implement, just as easy as old time mining via bitcoin client itself.
I whole-heartedly agree with this.  It might be to early to do it, but not to early to start planning it.
Bitcoin!
For the record, I reinstalled bitcoind and now p2pool can connect to it (even though it's still downloading the blockchain).

Same version? Just curious for future issues.
No, actually the bitcoin version was the problem.  I had installed whatever version is in the main Ubuntu repository (v3.x).  When I re-installed, I added the Bitcoin PPA, and installed v5.x

Code:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:bitcoin/bitcoin
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install bitcoind
legendary
Activity: 2126
Merit: 1001
I am having trouble to create the graphs from p2pool.
I can connect to http://127.0.0.1:9332/users just fine (the data there is json-encoded or something). Connecting to /graphs gives me a 404. I have twisted, zope, pil, pygame installed, but am not sure if rrdtool installed successfully.. Still that silly windows box, you know..
Restarted p2pool after installing those python modules (but didnt reboot the whole machine).

Any hints on what is needed and what isnt?

Ente
Activity: 516
Merit: 643
Is it possible to specify more than one merged URL and pass?

Not yet - It will be soon.
legendary
Activity: 1973
Merit: 1007
Is it possible to specify more than one merged URL and pass?
Activity: 49
Is there any plan to pull p2pool support to mainstream bitcoin client?
I know it's kinda too early, but the whole process of mining will be a lot easier to implement, just as easy as old time mining via bitcoin client itself.
Bitcoin!
For the record, I reinstalled bitcoind and now p2pool can connect to it (even though it's still downloading the blockchain).
Activity: 373
But does it refuse when it doesnt have the blockchain even after it finished loading but still downloading the chain?

No, that's what I was trying to say above.

I got the bitcoind client from git master, and accidentally messed up my blockchain. couldnt get p2pool to work. so i waited for it to sync and then it worked fine.

As far as I understood, p2pool shouldn't work properly while the download is still in progress. It will, however, connect to bitcoind (I tried that a day or two back).
Activity: 28
I know it refuses when its loading.
But does it refuse when it doesnt have the blockchain even after it finished loading but still downloading the chain?
I got the bitcoind client from git master, and accidentally messed up my blockchain. couldnt get p2pool to work. so i waited for it to sync and then it worked fine.

1:20:14.481000 p2pool.util.jsonrpc.Error: -10 Bitcoin is downloading blocks...
maybe its a specific call that fails...
so it actually doesnt refuse rpc Smiley
Jump to: