Pages:
Author

Topic: 1GH/s, 20w, $700 (was $500) — Butterflylabs, is it for real? (Part 2) - page 66. (Read 146909 times)

Activity: 349
Merit: 250
Since the official specs are updated I will decide the bet as "True" this weekend and distribute the coins. Please raise objections if you have any.
http://betsofbitco.in/item?id=141
Thank you everyone for your participation.
No objection, but I would like to submit for the record that that was a poorly worded bet. Oh well.
I know, the intent of the bet was to show the widget was a scam, in the end it became a bet on delivery dates.  I have no objections.

Delivery date?  Even if they were shipping now the product doesn't meet the price or power claims as specified in the bet. 
Price hasn't changed. Hash power, yet to be determined for production version.  Power consumption,  you win.  Wow, they sure did pull a scam...
donator
Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079
Gerald Davis
Since the official specs are updated I will decide the bet as "True" this weekend and distribute the coins. Please raise objections if you have any.
No objection, but I would like to submit for the record that that was a poorly worded bet. Oh well.
I know, the intent of the bet was to show the widget was a scam, in the end it became a bet on delivery dates.  I have no objections.

Delivery date?  Even if they were shipping now the product doesn't meet the price or power claims as specified in the bet. 
rjk
Activity: 448
1ngldh
Activity: 184
Merit: 100
legendary
Activity: 1260
Merit: 1000
The fan is a standard 80mm fan and can be replaced by the user with a screwdriver.  The noise was not noticeable, but were in a noisy environment.  I don't know what the exact decible level was, but with the fan being so standard, replacing it with a more noise/more CFM or a quieter one is certainly easy.  In either case, though, it was not a Delta fan or anything.  If I had to guess right now, I would say a 26 - 30 dB fan, but that's purely a guess.
legendary
Activity: 922
Merit: 1003
With $599, $3.10/BTC, $0.115/KWh, 830 MH/s, 80 W, and current difficulty (1155038), it will take 9.75 months to pay off an investment in BitForce Singles. I want a warranty that assures me the hardware will last at least that long.

BFL: Please consider offering a 1 year warranty, perhaps for a small additional fee if you must.
Yes, I see this as a key characteristic: an investment in a BitForce Single requires (in the current environment) 10 months to pay off. Sure, profitability can go up but can just as easily (perhaps more easily) go down before then. Buyers are operating at a loss until that time.

And let's not forget, in 12 months time the mining reward will be cut in half (25 BTC/block instead of the current 50 BTC/block). I would expect a standard hardware warranty of 1 year for this product. This is a solid-state device, after all; the only moving part is the fan.

Does BFL have such a low confidence in the quality/longevity of the product to only offer 6 months?  This does not inspire me. Undecided

Inaba, in your experience with the product can you provide your subjective opinion of the Single's fan noise (I'm assuming it is a standard 80mm fan by the screenshots I've seen; hopefully user-replaceable)? How does the noise compare to a typical mining GPU under load?
Does anyone know, would square trade sell an extended warranty for this sort of product?
I just plugged in the info for the Single and got an instant quote of $85 for 3 years.  I think that if you are interested that you should contact them. Not really sure if the instant quote is valid for the Single.

http://www.squaretrade.com/pages/

[Edit: Used the wrong category for the instant quote. Repeated quote with correct category got same numbers. Updated image.]
uck
Activity: 94
Merit: 10
Does anyone know, would square trade sell an extended warranty for this sort of product?
Activity: 518
Merit: 500
It looks like the ufasoft miner does not need to be modified anymore.

BitForce support is in the main release.  Nice.

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/ufasoft-miner-windowslinux-x86x64-sse2opencl-open-source-3486

So then the ufasoft guy is on it too Tongue ? Hehe. Has anyone actually received a unit yet for a forum style review etc. ?

Thanks !
It looks like the ufasoft miner does not need to be modified anymore.

BitForce support is in the main release.  Nice.

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/ufasoft-miner-windowslinux-x86x64-sse2opencl-open-source-3486
Activity: 756
I feel that the "scam" word is too harsh, but on the other hand it is certainly good to be prudent with money especially on the Internet.
Activity: 686
Merit: 564
Wait, are we still on this "new company, therefore scam" shit? They have working units that have been tested (Luke-jr has one, and Inaba has tested one too), and have been open about their revised performance claims. Please, go back to your cave now.
Well, if we're being pedantic I don't think Luke-Jr actually has one yet, he just connected remotely to a BFL computer with one attached like I did. He pre-ordered one but they're obviously not actually shipping yet and presumably won't be until new units with beefier regulators come in.
Activity: 518
Until we find out what is behind those heatsinks I will not be buying any of this stuff.

We need the processor number and the litography process.

I am sure that if someone wants to copy your product they can do this without getting you to tell them what is what etc.

So, I suggest you let us know what is under the hood. I never buy a product that I know little tech details about.

Thanks !
legendary
Activity: 3878
Merit: 1193
You can accuse us of being power optimistic, but that's as far as it goes.  
Optimistic? Claiming 20 watts when it turns out to be 80 watts is quite a bit more deceptive than "optimistic". Your original claims were outright lies.
rjk
Activity: 448
1ngldh
warranty isn't going to help if they're not going to honor it Wink
Wait, are we still on this "new company, therefore scam" shit? They have working units that have been tested (Luke-jr has one, and Inaba has tested one too), and have been open about their revised performance claims. Please, go back to your cave now.

Man, BFL is lucky to have dedicated fans like you.
Looking at your posting profile almost entirely devoted to posting praise on BFL threads, you seem to be quite the expert in BFL matters.
(sigh) I wish I too had that kind of charisma that lead people to create accounts just for the purpose of posting on my threads.
I just read all his past posts as well. Tough my take was more of an 'optimistic' person than a fan boy or devoted pumper.

Cynicism is a much needed commodity lest we grow too complacent. But like all good things, is much healthier in controlled doses.

*offers you a hug*  Wink

Cheers,
    Derek
Optimistic? Yeah. Fanboi? Nah, but the forums are not my preferred medium of exchange, and I created an account to discuss this product specifically. My home is IRC, where the normal folks hang out (and where you can learn more about things that are happening in real time).

Using the forum is just admitting that you aren't so wholly into the scene that you can't devote your entire time to it, all day.

Anyways, back to our regularly scheduled BFL-bashing, with a sprinkling of misinformation and a dash of cynicism, not to mention a heaping helping of blockheaded stubbornness on the part of the folks that are so happy to protect the sheeple from spending their own money after doing their own research.  Grin
Activity: 770

Looking at your posting profile almost entirely devoted to posting praise on BFL threads, you seem to be quite the expert in BFL matters.
(sigh) I wish I too had that kind of charisma that lead people to create accounts just for the purpose of posting on my threads.

I couldn't agree with you more freequant. You are a genius in your own right. There is nothing wrong with what you say. Everyone here is wrong except you. I agree with you whole heartedly.

Thank you Matthew, but please send me your praise by PM next time.
Activity: 588
Hero VIP ultra official trusted super staff puppet

I couldn't agree with you more freequant. You are a genius in your own right. There is nothing wrong with what you say. Everyone here is wrong except you. I agree with you whole heartedly.

Activity: 504

I just read all his past posts as well. Tough my take was more of an 'optimistic' person than a fan boy or devoted pumper.

Cynicism is a much needed commodity lest we grow too complacent. But like all good things, is much healthier in controlled doses.

*offers you a hug*  Wink

Cheers,
    Derek
Activity: 770

Pages:
Jump to: