Pages:
Author

Topic: 1GH/s, 20w, $700 (was $500) — Butterflylabs, is it for real? (Part 2) - page 81. (Read 146909 times)

rjk
Activity: 448
Merit: 250
1ngldh
Here is a suggestion: Let BFL create their own thread here in mining, in products or where ever.
Stop discussing this here.
Actually, moving this to the Hardware sub-section seems like a good idea.
legendary
Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057
Marketing manager - GO MP
Here is a suggestion: Let BFL create their own thread here in mining, in products or where ever.
Stop discussing this here.
rjk
Activity: 448
Merit: 250
1ngldh
It does ask the question, is it a scam, in the title. Maybe a technical discussion thread?
Also it is $700 now.
Activity: 476
Merit: 500
It does ask the question, is it a scam, in the title. Maybe a technical discussion thread?
donator
Activity: 1731
Merit: 1008
So when are these devices (tentatively) scheduled to be sent out to everyone (pre-orders)?
Go read or something.
c_k
donator
Activity: 242
Merit: 100
So when are these devices (tentatively) scheduled to be sent out to everyone (pre-orders)?
donator
Activity: 1731
Merit: 1008
I think its a scam in a sense of deceiving. Just as i said, all the "as seen on TV" crap has the same sales tactic.

Apparently Inaba is their "Shamwow" guy.
OMG, Time to lock this thread again.

Maybe start a new one with a different title, some people are still stuck at defining the word "SC**" in their head.

I would look for revelent post right after BFL posts, (https://bitcointalksearch.org/user/bfl-44366)
Activity: 168
Merit: 100
Facts and evidences are already given in the last thread. BFL refuse to give us anything else.

I think its a scam in a sense of deceiving. Just as i said, all the "as seen on TV" crap has the same sales tactic.

Apparently Inaba is their "Shamwow" guy.
staff
Activity: 4242
Merit: 8672

If anyone has read Quarantine by Greg Bear ... thats what the box reminds me of.

Can people suggest (via PM) the most informative posts from the first thread to add to the top post here? I'm going to go find some now.

Activity: 476
Merit: 500
Reminds me of HAL9000
staff
Activity: 4242
Merit: 8672
This is about http://butterflylabs.com/products/  a company claiming to offer some very high performance dedicated mining hardware.

Initially pre-orders were offered for $500 but the price has since been raised to $699.  No units have shipped. They also clam to be taking preorders for a 50GH/s unit for $24,980.

There is a lot of justified skepticism about the realness of the advertised products.  I created the original thread because I thought, on the basis of the available data, that it was obviously a scam and I was worried that other bitcoiners were getting ripped off. At that point in time there was only a flashy website and a lot of tall promises. The subsequent disclosures have made me reconsider my initial quick judgement— today there is good evidence that some kind of actual hardware exists.

The other thread was becoming a bit large: https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/1ghs-20w-500-butterflylabs-is-it-a-scam-48863

Of course, speculation is going to be contentious, we're not going to all agree on the relative merits of the various bits of data available — but it would be best if people stuck to the facts and evidence.  If you have an irreconcilable difference in conclusions with someone, don't flame— take comfort in the fact that your superior knowledge will allow you to place profitable bets on the outcome.

(Fair warning: Unproductive back and forth flame-wars will get deleted here)

Useful links
Pages:
Jump to: