Pages:
Author

Topic: 2022 Diff thread. - page 21. (Read 9677 times)

legendary
Activity: 4102
Merit: 7765
'The right to privacy matters'
February 28, 2022, 04:20:29 PM
I'm not so sure Putin being out of the picture would save any lives.

What I think could have saved a lot of lives would have been USA and NATO not messing around in Ukraine for many many years with full knowledge that Russia (not just Putin) sees it as a serious security threat. Even just acknowledging that Ukraine would never be accepted as part of NATO in the past couple of weeks might have been enough. But instead of doing that, they send in billions of $s in weapons. So yeah, corrupt politicians and giant gov. contractors make billions while the Ukrainian people pay the price.

Looks like BTC price is rebounding, broke out above 41K. Maybe there was a bit of delay between all the Russians pulling money out of their bank accounts to transfer to their crypto exchanges after the swift ban news came out...

A bunch of rich motherfuckers playing the arms game.  This goes back in time for centuries .
Activity: 544
Merit: 589
February 28, 2022, 03:10:45 PM
I'm not so sure Putin being out of the picture would save any lives.

What I think could have saved a lot of lives would have been USA and NATO not messing around in Ukraine for many many years with full knowledge that Russia (not just Putin) sees it as a serious security threat. Even just acknowledging that Ukraine would never be accepted as part of NATO in the past couple of weeks might have been enough. But instead of doing that, they send in billions of $s in weapons. So yeah, corrupt politicians and giant gov. contractors make billions while the Ukrainian people pay the price.

Looks like BTC price is rebounding, broke out above 41K. Maybe there was a bit of delay between all the Russians pulling money out of their bank accounts to transfer to their crypto exchanges after the swift ban news came out...
legendary
February 28, 2022, 01:44:26 PM
hey i do not know a thing about Putin’s health.

I also know a lot about death and destruction caused by war.

War is business for rich powerful nasty people.

In no particular order

France
USA
Great Britain
China
Russia

have all provided loads of arms to lots of people to get people killed.

And rich dudes made lot of money on sale of arms.

We just watched billions of vaccines get put in peoples arms in the name of saving lives.

So now we watch a war taking lives which in reality is an excuse to sell arms for weapon builders.

So 4 billion shots at 20 bucks a piece is over 80 billion for big pharma “to save life”

and now we will sell billions spent for a war to take lives.

in both cases rich mother fuckers will make money and regular people will suffer.

My years of pro USA and anti Russia are long over as I have seen more then enough to know both lie to gain money and power.

I am saying if a single 69 year guy was to die this year it would say a lot of lives.

In a way Russia is easier to push to peace than USA as Putin is a driving force for the war.
Putin dies of natural causes as many 69 years die ever year this war would end.

Do I think Ukraine is good and Russia is bad nope.

Now in the case of the USA if it was blowing up a country in the name of “peace” if a president dies the vice president takes over and likely keeps the war going .
legendary
Activity: 2170
Merit: 6279
be constructive or S.T.F.U
February 28, 2022, 12:45:50 PM

Exchanges and mining pools are not the blockchain itself, anyone can ban anyone from using thier services, in fact, Marathon (a large U.S miner) has been censoring transactions from U.S sanctioned addresses for a long time.

Of course they are free to do so, the protocol allows them, what worries me more is if every U.S based node bans those addresses, that will be an on-chain censorship which could potentially cripple crypto use case.

@Phill, no Putin is not under any induced stroke, he took Crimea long before covid started, he is fully aware.

So you think he needs to be removed from office? I hope you had the same thoughts about every U.S leader who bombed or invaded another country and killed millions of innocent souls.

It is funny that many of my westren friends think it is ok for NATO and the U.S to invade other countries and drop thier "democratic" bombs on innocent souls, but Putin can not do it because his bombs are not so democratic or/and the vicitms are white people.

Russia has been bombing Syria for years, killing civilians everyday, I do not recall anyone called for Russia ban, I am most certainly against this invasion and all sort of wars, unlike many I witnessed war and lost many dear souls, but It is either we as crypto miners stand against all wars or shut our eyes on all of them, cherry picking what type of victims you want to be sad about is far from logical.
legendary
February 28, 2022, 10:12:17 AM
I must say I'm suprised with certain statements in this thread.

If we want to pretend that blockchains are trustless decentralized ledgers shouldn't we be against censorship/prevention of usage from a large group with common properties of users? (ie users from Russia)
One key point of the word trustless should be that we can allow even bad actors inside the system. Enemies in a war could be perceived as, at most, bad actors (Russian citizens are not Putin). But the system is equal for both sides of war, and outcomes inside the system shouldn't be determined by the morality/just cause or any other philosophical factor. If it is, we end up with trustless decentralized ledger.

When I heard the news that Flexpool banned all russian IPs, I was appalled. If I had something like that happen to me, I would be very disappointed in crypto. This sure isn't a way to make it a global standard.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't recall anyone tried to stop nazis from mining gold, flagging their gold or any other counter measure in a system of value that is gold, during WWII. No one stopped them, after the war, from moving their fortunes to Argentina, Spain etc.

Disclaimer: I'm not from Russia, and I'm against the war.

there is theory and there is practice.

lets say Putin had a covid induced stroke that affects his rationality.

does the rest of the world 🌍 simply allow him to run amuck?

in the name of the blockchains?

well maybe they do and maybe they don’t

but if you told me major exchanges lock coins on people . the fact is they do.

as for covid causing a stroke that affects rationally My bro-in-law had a covid induced stroke and now has dementia. He is fully paranoid and won’t get better. If this happens to any leader of any country they need to be removed from office before they hurt a lot of people.

Do I know if Putin has covid induced mental failure no,but his actions are fairly risky.
legendary
Activity: 2422
Merit: 1706
Electrical engineer. Mining since 2014.
February 28, 2022, 09:29:14 AM
I know it's against crypto principles, but I don't really care as long as Russia is at it's current state.

I rather try to think of everything I can do before taking my RK-95 TP rifle to the frontier.
Activity: 20
Merit: 25
February 28, 2022, 08:21:40 AM
I must say I'm suprised with certain statements in this thread.

If we want to pretend that blockchains are trustless decentralized ledgers shouldn't we be against censorship/prevention of usage from a large group with common properties of users? (ie users from Russia)
One key point of the word trustless should be that we can allow even bad actors inside the system. Enemies in a war could be perceived as, at most, bad actors (Russian citizens are not Putin). But the system is equal for both sides of war, and outcomes inside the system shouldn't be determined by the morality/just cause or any other philosophical factor. If it is, we end up with trustless decentralized ledger.

When I heard the news that Flexpool banned all russian IPs, I was appalled. If I had something like that happen to me, I would be very disappointed in crypto. This sure isn't a way to make it a global standard.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't recall anyone tried to stop nazis from mining gold, flagging their gold or any other counter measure in a system of value that is gold, during WWII. No one stopped them, after the war, from moving their fortunes to Argentina, Spain etc.

Disclaimer: I'm not from Russia, and I'm against the war.
legendary
Activity: 3612
Merit: 2506
Evil beware: We have waffles!
February 27, 2022, 09:57:38 PM
According to reports, although President Kassym-Jomart Tokayev is not against mining, miners must obtain licenses, pay electricity bills on decent terms, and pay taxes.
Out of pure curiosity, I've read those statements from some companies in the US, where the hell do I have to look for the amount of tax they've paid in a fiscal year? I have a feeling a lot of poeple will start asking the same questions, how much tax do those miners we fed cheap energy are actually paying back? I'm doing my papers as I will have to submit them next week and for the little guy who can't claim anything back damn, it's frustrating.

If it is a publicly traded company, just look at their Investors Information pages as they are required to publish taxes paid as part of their financials.
legendary
Activity: 2828
Merit: 6108
Jambler.io
February 27, 2022, 07:51:21 PM
I also hope that everyone who support the invasion will realise that Finland is next.
Mark my words, Putin will not stop in Ukraine.

If the imbecile is not completely stupid it will be first Bielorussia next and then Moldova.
And then, if we don't stop him in time we are all #%$# from Nuorgam to Constanza, cause smart or stupid he's still a psychopath.
So, one last chance!

Russia deserves all the counteractions they are currently getting. They invade countries and then just poop over them and do not take care of the infrastructure.

Locusts, I have tons of horror stories about the "liberators" from my gramps.

That aside, there is nothing we can do about the mining gear sales, money is more important sometimes than human lives for some, look at how Germany is having hiccup after hiccup before managing to say two words about it. Most likely Chinese sellers will still sell, the only way something could be done is if TMSC is getting serious.
https://www.reuters.com/technology/taiwans-tsmc-says-comply-with-export-control-rules-russia-2022-02-25/

If somebody higher up the food chain tells them it's not good to sell chips to bitmain as it sends gears to Rusia,  and! if bitmain isn't that big of a share for them they might put some pressure and at least make it more expensive.
But, ... a lot of buts!
I would really want to take politics out of bitcoin but at the same time, it's clearly impossible.
legendary
February 27, 2022, 06:58:25 PM
I also hope that everyone who support the invasion will realise that Finland is next.

Mark my words, Putin will not stop in Ukraine.

If Finland becomes part of Russia, they will just butt rape the whole country like they did to the beautiful city of Vyborg in the past. It could've been as beautiful as city of Turku is now, if it would have remained as a part of Finland.

Russia deserves all the counteractions they are currently getting. They invade countries and then just poop over them and do not take care of the infrastructure.

For things to escalate like that, will also bring btc down for good. The world would also go completely to shit.

I think you're right about China.
They are not a big fan about what Russia is doing,
but they also most likely will not do any actions in economy or otherwise.
legendary
February 27, 2022, 06:50:42 PM
It would be nice if a few large exchanges seized some large Russian owned accounts.

A) Funds are Frozen
B) btc /crypto loses no credibility as exchanges did it ie: no keys no coins
C) Eth could seize all coins since Eth is centralized and follows a single leader hmm sounds a bit like Putin.

Not sure I would call that "nice", there is no reason to hold the Russian citizens responsible for an action that was taken by a single man, it's not like Putin cares about the suffering of his own people, so by doing so, you are only making life harder for people who are already suffering, the folks in charge will not be affected by all of that.

I am thinking about appealing all the major miner hardware manufacturers and pool operators to stop trading and co-operating with Russian operators, until the Russian government stops the war crimes in Ukraine and also stops threatening Finland, Sweden and other western countries.

All the mining gears manufacturers are owned by the Chinese, China is siding Russia,  it is extremely unlikely that they would do anything that could remotely piss the Chinese government off (of course, this assumes the unlikely fact that Bitmain and the likes of it are willing to lose a single client of theirs in the first place).

It might make more sense to boycott Chinese products "including mining gears" and somehow put pressure on China rather than doing the opposite, but again, will any of us or the large U.S players stop mining to a Chines pool or stop buying Chinese products for the sake of Ukraine?

I believe the best thing miners can do is use crypto to donate to whichever side they support (I hope we all agree that not all of us are against this invasion in the first place).

Lastly, may God protect the innocent people of Ukraine and every other nation.

legendary
February 27, 2022, 02:22:26 PM
I tried to reach some key players via Twitter, let's see..
I am quite pessimistic about them doing anything, but I hope I'll be surprised
legendary
February 27, 2022, 10:31:55 AM
What do you guys think about this.
I've been thinking what would be something little I could in this current mad situation.

I am thinking about appealing all the major miner hardware manufacturers and pool operators to stop trading and co-operating with Russian operators, until the Russian government stops the war crimes in Ukraine and also stops threatening Finland, Sweden and other western countries.

However, my words might be just a fart in the wind,
so I wonder if this idea is any good and if there would be some people with more influence to manufacturers and pools.

Losing money and business is bad for regular people, I know it. But we need all financial pressure possible to try to cut the money possibilities for Russian war activity. This also included cryptocurrencies.

Sincerely,
HagssFIN

It would be nice if a few large exchanges seized some large Russian owned accounts.

A) Funds are Frozen
B) btc /crypto loses no credibility as exchanges did it ie: no keys no coins
C) Eth could seize all coins since Eth is centralized and follows a single leader hmm sounds a bit like Putin.

Putin is 69 years old. A 69 year old has a death chance of about 0.013301 or 75 to 1 shot.  Maybe Mother Nature fixes this in the next year.

I think that the crypto idea is good but is less likely than Mother Nature taking Putin out in the next year.

It is a nice guess to lose.

legendary
February 26, 2022, 08:48:43 PM
What do you guys think about this.
I've been thinking what would be something little I could in this current mad situation.

However, my words might be just a fart in the wind,
so I wonder if this idea is any good and if there would be some people with more influence to manufacturers and pools.

Losing money and business is bad for regular people, I know it. But we need all financial pressure possible to try to cut the money possibilities for Russian war activity. This also included cryptocurrencies.

Sincerely,
HagssFIN
legendary
Activity: 2828
Merit: 6108
Jambler.io
February 26, 2022, 07:15:49 PM
202MW in Kazakhstan is A LOT of power given that the total the generate is below 20,000MW,  in the U.S for an example, 202MW is just peanuts.

That's why I always told poeple, even a few moments ago, stop daydreaming miners will move to Salvador or to Norway or to god knows what country, you need something with a lot of spare energy for this migration, and with every country that closes its door more have to migrate in the same direction.
I only see three big players able to take in miners after miners and those are the US, Canada, and Russia, no real spare capacity when it comes to GW in any other country.

But the bright side, price up diff down, didn't expect this at the start of the week.  Grin

legendary
February 26, 2022, 06:28:58 PM
just use straight math 202MW / 13 operations gets you about 15 MW per site. That is a lot of power but not a totally crazy amount of power for some businesses. I think I have a customer in the 15MW range just doing some light manufacturing. So I could see people thinking they could hide it.

202MW is about 150,000 S9s, I know most folks there use S9s so it's safe to assume the majority of those operations were indeed S9s, so it totals to about 2.1EH, that is a whopping amount of hashrate for the average joe like most of us, but it's nothing as far as the total hashrate is concerned, 202MW in Kazakhstan is A LOT of power given that the total the generate is below 20,000MW,  in the U.S for an example, 202MW is just peanuts.
legendary
February 26, 2022, 02:41:13 PM
Saw this: https://cointelegraph.com/news/kazakh-ministry-halts-illegal-crypto-mining-operations

The Ministry of Energy of the Republic of Kazakhstan announced that it had discovered and terminated 13 cryptocurrency mining operations. The government executed the shutdown as part of its efforts to regulate the Bitcoin (BTC) mining sector, which has grown increasingly popular in recent years.

As per the official statement, the miners were using a lot of energy, with a total power consumption of 202 megawatts. According to the Kazakh government, efforts to identify and disconnect mining farms from the electrical networks will continue. Following the discovery of illicit mining operations, authorized bodies will take operational and investigatory actions.

Actually posted a bit about it in the press section.

I wonder over time as more and more miners like this are shut down how, will it really make a noticeable change in the diff. I am guessing that since they were doing this the wrong way they were not using the newest and fastest and most efficient miners. So, it will probably not cause a drop just a slower growth.

Although not a lot of equipment based on the power draw and it probably was not only BTC miners it does bring up the interesting thought (at least interesting to me) is that if we just use straight math 202MW / 13 operations gets you about 15 MW per site. That is a lot of power but not a totally crazy amount of power for some businesses. I think I have a customer in the 15MW range just doing some light manufacturing. So I could see people thinking they could hide it.

-Dave

My guy's warehouse had multiple freezers that did 4360 kwatts a month.

He had a dozen of them or 52320 kwatts a month. About 72 kwatts an hour for the 12 of them.

that means power for 23 s19's or maybe 36 s17's.  He is a smallish warehouse. This was easy peasy for him to convert for us.
We are now close to 145kwatts in two spots.

These buildings did war weapons in WWII so lots of power and transformers. The concrete floor is rebar enforced and 3 feet thick.
 we could gear back to 1 megawatt for mining. The power structure is there.
Lots of structures like this are all over the world.
Places that can do 250 to 1 megawatt easy peasy.

Bigger spaces with 10mw are less common but they exist. So I am sure a lot of 'gray' power is siphoned by stealth mining.
legendary
Activity: 3458
Merit: 6231
Crypto Swap Exchange
February 26, 2022, 11:37:26 AM
Saw this: https://cointelegraph.com/news/kazakh-ministry-halts-illegal-crypto-mining-operations

The Ministry of Energy of the Republic of Kazakhstan announced that it had discovered and terminated 13 cryptocurrency mining operations. The government executed the shutdown as part of its efforts to regulate the Bitcoin (BTC) mining sector, which has grown increasingly popular in recent years.

As per the official statement, the miners were using a lot of energy, with a total power consumption of 202 megawatts. According to the Kazakh government, efforts to identify and disconnect mining farms from the electrical networks will continue. Following the discovery of illicit mining operations, authorized bodies will take operational and investigatory actions.

Actually posted a bit about it in the press section.

I wonder over time as more and more miners like this are shut down how, will it really make a noticeable change in the diff. I am guessing that since they were doing this the wrong way they were not using the newest and fastest and most efficient miners. So, it will probably not cause a drop just a slower growth.

Although not a lot of equipment based on the power draw and it probably was not only BTC miners it does bring up the interesting thought (at least interesting to me) is that if we just use straight math 202MW / 13 operations gets you about 15 MW per site. That is a lot of power but not a totally crazy amount of power for some businesses. I think I have a customer in the 15MW range just doing some light manufacturing. So I could see people thinking they could hide it.

-Dave
legendary
February 24, 2022, 06:16:18 PM
Looks like the Russia invasion of Ukraine is a big negative for the price of BTC: $34,923.

Price did recover a bit, however, this invasion is likely going to be bad for difficulty and here is my logic.

When Abkhazia claimed its "independence" from Gorgia and only Russia declared it as an such, the central goverment of Gorgia could not stop supplying electcity to Abkhazia because that will mean that they recognize it as an independent state.

Mean while, they could not collect any power bills because well, you guessed it, the Russians are controling that part of the country, so that led to free power which was and still is used by many crypto mining operations.

The new separatist states in Ukraine will likey have the same faith since Ukraine said "our boarders have not changed", the new "goverments" will not have the tools to control electcity, those rich folks backed by the Russian troops can easly steal electcity and run thousends of miners for free.

Maybe or depends on how the grid was setup in the first place.
legendary
February 24, 2022, 06:13:57 PM
Looks like the Russia invasion of Ukraine is a big negative for the price of BTC: $34,923.

Price did recover a bit, however, this invasion is likely going to be bad for difficulty and here is my logic.

When Abkhazia claimed its "independence" from Gorgia and only Russia declared it as an such, the central goverment of Gorgia could not stop supplying electcity to Abkhazia because that will mean that they recognize it as an independent state.

Mean while, they could not collect any power bills because well, you guessed it, the Russians are controling that part of the country, so that led to free power which was and still is used by many crypto mining operations.

The new separatist states in Ukraine will likey have the same faith since Ukraine said "our boarders have not changed", the new "goverments" will not have the tools to control electcity, those rich folks backed by the Russian troops can easly steal electcity and run thousends of miners for free.
Pages:
Jump to: