Pages:
Author

Topic: 3 kinds of ICOs — Protect yourself - page 10. (Read 13642 times)

Activity: 9
Merit: 0
October 31, 2017, 05:30:50 AM
This is a good read. I then realized that i really need hardwork and study well the upcoming ICOs before joining.

Thanks for this post
Activity: 364
Merit: 250
October 31, 2017, 02:48:38 AM
This thread blew my mind. This is the information I am trying to find anywhere. There are a lot of threads that tackles this issue but I know there is something missing and this thread filled all of it. It really hits me on the part where ICOs use jargon so they will sound more convincing and they really know what they are doing even if they really don't.
Activity: 1008
Merit: 355
October 30, 2017, 10:54:13 PM
This is an eye-opener to all of us here who might have become fond of investing some money in ICO. One thing for sure is that in majority of the ICOs, there is still no product yet and no prototype already established...it is more of an idea and how far the team can pursue with the idea will remained unanswered until such a time that the team can claimed it has. This scenario is really making the whole project a big risk so what many are doing is just demand for the tokens/coins to be available in many exchanges as fast as possible so that with a good value they can just dump their holdings and then proceed to another ICO projects...no wonder that this industry really needs to be regulated (not banned though). Sometimes when i read the idea of an ICO my mouth cringes in pain...
Activity: 236
Merit: 101
October 30, 2017, 10:23:33 PM
Human are so greedy and selfish in nature, so never invest money you cannot afford to lose.
Activity: 490
October 30, 2017, 09:33:24 PM
Another type of ICO I was wondering about with regards to your view on it would be digital advertising ICOs like Papyrus for example. Considering social media and digital advertising are growing exponentially in this age, do you think Altcoins would have any potential to penetrate this space?

Papyrus is probably the 3rd or 4th project I’ve seen related to a new token being able to control advertising.

They cite a lot of business problems, which seem legitimate. But I don’t see how they can solve them.

Papyrus states the following as a Papyrus Advantage (solution to problem):

Controlled advertising
Users are able to create precise policies to control what ads they see and what data they share with advertisers.

How?

The majority of advertising that you see is from Google, Youtube (which is Google), Facebook and Twitter. You can’t control the advertising that they show you. When you search on Google, it shows ads on top of the search results. How do you think Papyrus is going to let you control that? Are they going to hack into Google’s servers? When you watch Youtube, it shows commercials at the beginning of the video. How is Papyrus going to let you control Youtube? When Facebook shows ads in the right column, how are you going to stop them? Is Papyrus going to use a blockchain to stop these ads? How?

The biggest source of revenue for Google is AdWords and Google is the biggest advertising middleman on the internet. Therefore, Google AdWords is the biggest form of advertising on the internet, and it runs on Google's sites. How is Papyrus going to interfere with this?

For all of the other sites on the internet that have ads, most of them use Google AdSense. They put Google’s code into their website, select some parameters and let Google serve the ads into their websites. Then Google charges the advertiser every time a visitor clicks on that ad, and pays a percentage of that to the site owner. How is Papyrus going to interfere with this?

Papyrus has all of these fancy diagrams, but no mention of Google Adwords or AdSense.

The people who controls the advertising are the people who control the traffic. How will Papyrus convince these people to let them take over control?

I didn’t read all of their information, so maybe I missed it. Maybe someone can explain to me how a blockchain is going to enable Papyrus take control.

I really doubt the stuff will work, there are as you said to many of them already out there and I don#t see how is going to benefit anyone. Beside the ICO guys.!
jlp
Activity: 266
Merit: 264
October 28, 2017, 10:09:08 PM
Another type of ICO I was wondering about with regards to your view on it would be digital advertising ICOs like Papyrus for example. Considering social media and digital advertising are growing exponentially in this age, do you think Altcoins would have any potential to penetrate this space?

Papyrus is probably the 3rd or 4th project I’ve seen related to a new token being able to control advertising.

They cite a lot of business problems, which seem legitimate. But I don’t see how they can solve them.

Papyrus states the following as a Papyrus Advantage (solution to problem):

Controlled advertising
Users are able to create precise policies to control what ads they see and what data they share with advertisers.

How?

The majority of advertising that you see is from Google, Youtube (which is Google), Facebook and Twitter. You can’t control the advertising that they show you. When you search on Google, it shows ads on top of the search results. How do you think Papyrus is going to let you control that? Are they going to hack into Google’s servers? When you watch Youtube, it shows commercials at the beginning of the video. How is Papyrus going to let you control Youtube? When Facebook shows ads in the right column, how are you going to stop them? Is Papyrus going to use a blockchain to stop these ads? How?

The biggest source of revenue for Google is AdWords and Google is the biggest advertising middleman on the internet. Therefore, Google AdWords is the biggest form of advertising on the internet, and it runs on Google's sites. How is Papyrus going to interfere with this?

For all of the other sites on the internet that have ads, most of them use Google AdSense. They put Google’s code into their website, select some parameters and let Google serve the ads into their websites. Then Google charges the advertiser every time a visitor clicks on that ad, and pays a percentage of that to the site owner. How is Papyrus going to interfere with this?

Papyrus has all of these fancy diagrams, but no mention of Google Adwords or AdSense.

The people who controls the advertising are the people who control the traffic. How will Papyrus convince these people to let them take over control?

I didn’t read all of their information, so maybe I missed it. Maybe someone can explain to me how a blockchain is going to enable Papyrus take control.
Activity: 236
Merit: 100
Presale is live!
October 28, 2017, 04:19:36 PM
Thank you! it's really nice and informative thread.
Activity: 98
Merit: 10
STOCKBET TOKEN SALE OCT 29 - USABLE SOFTWARE TODAY
October 28, 2017, 04:09:17 PM
I just found out about Overstock:

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/overstock-goes-for-largest-ico-ever-at-500-million-2324406

This project makes a lot of sense. They were the first major merchant to accept Bitcoin back in 2014, which the crypto community was very happy about. I still remember the announcement and we all hoped for more merchants to do the same. Now, they accept 40 altcoins as payment. So they have a lot of experience with cryptocurrencies. They're one of the most crypto friendly companies in existence.

With this ICO, they're not going to do crazy things like put large files, 3D or VR data on the blockchain. They're going to put stock related data on the blockchain. If they've already bought a Wall Street firm that is approved by SEC to trade stocks, then one would assume that their tokens will be legal owners of the shares of the companies that they entitle you to. There are several ICOs that claim that their tokens will entitle you to ownership to real estate, USD, gold or other coins without giving detailed, convincing explanation of how the tokens will have legal ownership.

They're going after a huge market and opportunity, much bigger than Ripple or most other markets that I can think of. This is the best ICO in a long time.

However, we'll need to see if a retailer can transition into a stock exchange operator. The other drawback is the size of the ICO, which is expected to be $500 million. That's a very high price to pay and you can end up overpaying. It's possible that investors throw even more than $500 million at Overstock and increase the risk of losing money in the short term. Stockbet also makes a lot of sense. They won't be as big as Overstock, but their tokens will be more reasonably priced.

I agree about both Overstock and Stockbet!
Activity: 868
Merit: 500
CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!
October 28, 2017, 02:42:29 PM
Nice writeup...but it is going to be hard for individuals not to be scammed cos of these ico's Airdrops
The airdrops will fade away when people realize that they are only receiving a small payout or they will be holding a coin that is just taking up space in their wallet.
Activity: 156
October 28, 2017, 01:38:34 PM
Activity: 252
October 28, 2017, 01:34:13 PM
Interesting information. Especially the corruption ranking  Shocked
jlp
October 28, 2017, 01:22:09 PM
I just found out about Overstock:

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/overstock-goes-for-largest-ico-ever-at-500-million-2324406

This project makes a lot of sense. They were the first major merchant to accept Bitcoin back in 2014, which the crypto community was very happy about. I still remember the announcement and we all hoped for more merchants to do the same. Now, they accept 40 altcoins as payment. So they have a lot of experience with cryptocurrencies. They're one of the most crypto friendly companies in existence.

With this ICO, they're not going to do crazy things like put large files, 3D or VR data on the blockchain. They're going to put stock related data on the blockchain. If they've already bought a Wall Street firm that is approved by SEC to trade stocks, then one would assume that their tokens will be legal owners of the shares of the companies that they entitle you to. There are several ICOs that claim that their tokens will entitle you to ownership to real estate, USD, gold or other coins without giving detailed, convincing explanation of how the tokens will have legal ownership.

They're going after a huge market and opportunity, much bigger than Ripple or most other markets that I can think of. This is the best ICO in a long time.

However, we'll need to see if a retailer can transition into a stock exchange operator. The other drawback is the size of the ICO, which is expected to be $500 million. That's a very high price to pay and you can end up overpaying. It's possible that investors throw even more than $500 million at Overstock and increase the risk of losing money in the short term. Stockbet also makes a lot of sense. They won't be as big as Overstock, but their tokens will be more reasonably priced.

Activity: 224
Merit: 10
October 28, 2017, 12:02:26 PM
Very informative thread and useful information for deciding in which ico to invest. I want to know what's OP opinion about PayPal based business model adaptation on blockchain like Monetha or Utrust? At first it looks like a great idea and proper model for a blockchain. What's your opinion?  Roll Eyes

UTRUST’s business is understandable, which is good. I think they’re in a country where we can extradite them or sue them if they screw us, which is good.

Intuitively, one would think that there is big market need for Utrust. The question is whether they can execute.

Bitpay has been doing Bitcoin payment processing for merchants for 4 or more years. One needs to find out why they haven’t expanded to process addition cryptocurrencies. Why haven’t they? Is it unprofitable to do so? Is there insufficient demand from merchants or shoppers? If they wanted to, would they be able to quickly do so?

Bitpay has not exploded in growth. This means that there aren't enough people using Bitcoin to shop. If this is the case, how do you know it's worthwhile to add more cryptos and that processing more cryptos will grow this space?

I like that they have a comparison chart with their competitors. However, how do we know that UTRUST’s will be able to survive by providing the lowest fees?

If UTRUST supports multiple cryptocurrencies, which they should because this is their main differentiator from Bitpay, then why would shoppers use UTRUST’s token?

The CEO does not have a LinkedIn profile. How do we know that he has a high school diploma or any work experience?

With 16 people on the team (and 13 advisors), they should’ve built 8 prototypes by now. Most of these people are doing nothing. This reduces the confidence that they can out-execute Bitpay.

It would be great if a company like Utrust succeeds. Maybe UTRUST can execute. I don’t know, as there isn’t enough information.

Thanks for a great insights. They are very helpfull. You can say nowadays all ICO's are covered with clouds and it's hard to see real potential and legitimacy of ico in that mist  Undecided
jlp
October 28, 2017, 09:48:27 AM
Awesome advice! Definitely can empathize with all you wrote. Moreover, would add that transparency is vital; Team (LinkedIn, public Profile), Product (at least a smoke screen test), Whitepaper (well written, detailed, timeline, compensation, distribution, concept, people, etc), and online presence (Social media, blogs, etc). All helps with credibility (references never hurt either).  Grin

Feel free to give us some advice to make us as transparent at possible: http://www.telco.in

Cheers!
Chris

telcoin's website is a textual, functionless website, but it is using 13-16% of my CPU. My fan is spinning on high speed, so I closed the browser tab.

With 8 people on the team, plus 3 advisors, this should not be happening. I can understand if you're selling furniture or shoes. But if you're going to be in the technology space, you need to show that you can do technology.

Sorry, but I wasn't able to read more of your site.

Activity: 490
October 28, 2017, 05:08:37 AM
Wow amazing thread! Seriously thank you fro your work!
But I would even subdivide the last categorise. Because I guess for most of the investors a good return is the most important part of the investment.
A ICO can be legitimate but still won't make you rich bcs they fail.
Activity: 1204
Merit: 500
October 27, 2017, 10:05:14 PM
much appreciated you for clearing it up.I truly dont see how individuals pick their speculations once in a while furthermore, its tragic when you see a shitty ico makes millions when genuine coins dont get enough consideration
There were a lot of shit ICO projects, even scam ICO also happened in the ICO market. After all, the investors still keep their faith in this market. Why? Because they can make money easily through this market instead of trading, but they don't know they are becoming the speculators by short term investment through the ICO projects.
With people making more money from coins that get pumped, I don't worry so much of the scams that are lurking in this forum waiting to get launched on somebody.
There's a few ICO's that are real.
you are right, I also do not care about it, the important thing is that we have tried. well, of course i have some real ico and really do it out there, and one of them is gladius. well, all have risks, and without taking that risk, we can not make a profit.
Activity: 448
CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!
October 27, 2017, 09:59:23 PM
much appreciated you for clearing it up.I truly dont see how individuals pick their speculations once in a while furthermore, its tragic when you see a shitty ico makes millions when genuine coins dont get enough consideration
There were a lot of shit ICO projects, even scam ICO also happened in the ICO market. After all, the investors still keep their faith in this market. Why? Because they can make money easily through this market instead of trading, but they don't know they are becoming the speculators by short term investment through the ICO projects.
With people making more money from coins that get pumped, I don't worry so much of the scams that are lurking in this forum waiting to get launched on somebody.
There's a few ICO's that are real.
jlp
October 27, 2017, 08:05:50 PM

Couldn't agree with you more.

Tezos is a great example. There was nothing earth shattering about what they wanted to do: better governance and formal verification. They could've built it for less than $10 million, but investors threw $200 million at them.

https://www.coindesk.com/tezos-founders-ico-controversy-will-blow/

director of development at Digital Currency Group, and herself a Tezos backer, asked why the project ended up raising more than 20 times the $10 million the couple had initially envisioned seeking in September 2016.

What's ironic is that Tezos' team cannot govern themselves:

Early in the session, the Breitmans said that one of the reasons they started the project was to solve the governance challenges faced by bitcoin.

Later, during the discussion of their own governance problems, Kathleen smiled and told the audience:

"We appreciate the irony of the situation."

Tezos was one of the most over-hyped and over-rated projects I've ever seen in my life. Investors got snookered and overpaid. If they gave that $200 million to 20 projects instead of one, we would have many more good products to use.
Activity: 419
October 27, 2017, 01:45:35 PM
Activity: 224
Merit: 101
THE WORLD'S FIRST FIXED MONTHLY ALLOWANCE PLAN
October 27, 2017, 01:28:39 PM
You had made a very nice thread that educate us what kind of ICOs we're into. I hope everyone should have read this.
Pages:
Jump to: