Pages:
Author

Topic: 400 BTC sent to an unknow address. (COINS RETURNED) 40 BTC reward. - page 3. (Read 19793 times)

Activity: 266
Merit: 250
The king and the pawn go in the same box @ endgame
This is just one example of how truly awesome this project is. You find 3000 dollars on the street, what do you do? But here Goat let everyone know what happened, and the community came together to help a fellow out.
+9001 to the community
legendary
Activity: 1204
Merit: 1015
I would like to ask Maged to help in dividing the 40 BTC reward. 40 BTC will be given out for sure, but I do not have the technological understanding to know who helped the most and who should get what share.

Thank you all!
Sure thing.

casascius:
I think it should be possible to find numerous other addresses that belong to the same wallet...

for example, all of these other addresses must be in the same wallet because they combined funds from that address within a transaction.

Here are a bunch more addresses that might be part of that same wallet - but only if some assumptions I have made about which is the "change" and which isn't are correct.  This payer seems to habitually pay amounts just 0.005 BTC shy of a full bitcoin.  (It could be a service that charges a 0.005 transaction fee on withdrawals)

That might be worth 5-10%, as it helped point out how the e-wallet worked. Someone in the know could have used this to determine that it was GLBSE

Maged:
Client: Satoshi
Fees are manually set to 0.001/kb. Sometimes an old client that uses .01/kb is used.
User has received funds from a service that gives out bitcoins, but at various exact amounts, as a sendmany.
http://blockchain.info/tx-index/1914667/131cc29906bb30cb6cf5921648ffe75cdbffc109a083fc18c9b4fd3cd06176e9
User was paid by someone that was a StrongCoin user:
http://blockchain.info/tx-index/1914644/05c5a67b4657c6bf6329a656a63eb03f6629fc16eec23539e896e649d844ec5d

Transactions are also quite frequent and small. Probability that this is an e-wallet: 90%

Could it be instawallet?
Identified it as an e-wallet. Again, someone who knew more about GLBSE would have identified them immediately after reading this post, as I show in the next quote:
How about GLBSE?

I found a reference to a 0.005 BTC withdrawal fee in this post.

Also Xenland uses GLBSE.

Goat, perhaps you sent the 400 BTC to your GLBSE deposit address?
Verified.
Will there still be the .01 btc withdrawl fee, or are you lowering it to .0005? Is the minimum withdrawl size still in effect?

Withdrawl fee will be 0.001, min withdrawl being 0.5btc, thats reasonable right?
Fees match the pattern.
Verified through how the fees used to work that it was, indeed, GLBSE. I may be biased, but I'd say that this was worth maybe 10%.

twobitcoins:
As casascius pointed out, the person (or wallet) you sent the money to tends to make payments that are 0.005 BTC less than a round number.  Looking at the addresses that those payments went to, some of them appear to be addresses that were posted in this thread: Break My Website | Cheaper in Bitcoins.

For example:

Therefore, I would suggest that your 1.96 BTC and 400 BTC were sent to Xenland, or at least to a wallet service that he was using at the time.  I would suggest contacting him to see if he has them, or if he can tell you which service does.
How about GLBSE?

Also Xenland uses GLBSE.

twobitcoins stole the show. He identified a user that would help locate the funds, and then came up with the correct guess of GLBSE. He should get whatever is left.

Every post after we identified GLBSE shouldn't be worth anything, since we had both a guess and a confirmation that it was GLBSE at this point.
vip
Activity: 1386
Merit: 1136
The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)
I saw it and I would have done the same if somebody sent me XXX BTC for nothing. I

My case was different. Because he attacked me without giving me chance to return the 22.5 BTC I refused to give refund but instead chose to give him service he paid for.

He did not want to accept service but wanted to get me scammer tag and never see the BTC back.

This is a load of crap - there's 25 pages of indefensible excuses as to why he doesn't want to give the money back.  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=78386

tl;dr: they can all be ignored.  Bulanula owes the 22.5 BTC, has no good reason for keeping it, there is no question he owes it (based on his own admissions), and is just being a jerk.  All of his "official forum scammer" crap is just a diversion to make his real scammer tag look like it's just a joke.
Activity: 518
Merit: 500
I saw it and I would have done the same if somebody sent me XXX BTC for nothing. I

My case was different. Because he attacked me without giving me chance to return the 22.5 BTC I refused to give refund but instead chose to give him service he paid for.

He did not want to accept service but wanted to get me scammer tag and never see the BTC back.
I am very pleased to report that this has a very happy ending:)

Today when I woke up I found 400 BTC in my GLBSE account. I also had an e-mail from GLBSE support letting me know that they had moved over the funds!

Very epic thank you GLBSE staff/ Nefario for going out of your way to assist me.

I would like to ask Maged to help in dividing the 40 BTC reward. 40 BTC will be given out for sure, but I do not have the technological understanding to know who helped the most and who should get what share.

Thank you all!

@Bulanula

Did you read this?

For all those don't know, a guy accidentally sent Bulanula 25BTC, proved it was his address and Bulanula publicly acknowledges receiving it but refused to return it, earning a Scammer Tag.

More trash talk from the biggest SoiledCon supporter on the forums.

I did not want to give him a refund after he attacked me publicly. I offered instead 10 months ( what he paid for with the 25 BTC ) of sig ad space and 2 months bonus but the guy did not want this and he wanted me scammer tagged for not giving him the refund. Lame but I don't care anyway.

donator
Activity: 3024
Merit: 1105
How about GLBSE?

Also Xenland uses GLBSE.

congrats all for the great detective work, not obvious from only a 1.96 BTC. sent to the address months before & good to see a happy ending, kudos to GLBSE & to think that was nearly a 3,000 coin going awol - are newbies putting so much in to your PPT (I assume) wow & definitely invest some hashing power in vanity 1Goat... addresses
legendary
Activity: 2912
Merit: 1060
Actually GLBSE is the only place where you can hope that they return your funds,and most likely this was Goat`s address, so shouldn't they do that themselves?

it is not in my glbse 2 account. i will have to check the 1 account. thanks for the help guys and i will keep you updated.
Old deposit addresses were one-use only (with Nefario needing to manually add repeat deposits).

In 2.0, I think you can reuse addresses.
donator
Activity: 968
Merit: 1002
Actually GLBSE is the only place where you can hope that they return your funds,and most likely this was Goat`s address, so shouldn't they do that themselves?
legendary
I would like to ask for 0.05 btc
1JSTuR14XLBSDKzUxjiwkXguLPyW8mqkWQ
donator
Activity: 2058
Merit: 1007
Poor impulse control.
Fantastic! Is this the only example of a large sum of btc being returned after an accidental payment? Kudos to GLBSE.

Glad it all turned out so well.
donator
Activity: 1419
this is so fucking stupid

Actually, I think it's brilliant. I mean, obviously he can't recover the coin unless he addresses the community, and if it is found it'll be a win for the community as a whole and another confirmation that techies and geeks are far more honest and trustworthy than the financial elites that are presently running world monetary policy.

It's come down to a game of trust that fiat money is losing to algorithmic money. And for good reason, we can't just print more of it and give it to our buddies.
legendary
Activity: 1078
Merit: 1005
ps. maybe its a wallet at exchange.bitparking.com , should check with doublec
I checked the exchange and the address doesn't belong to that wallet. Would you have used any of the other exchanges I ran? (i0coin, ixcoin, solidcoin, etc). I think they were running about that time.
donator
Activity: 2058
Merit: 1007
Poor impulse control.

Showing the world the non-scam, community minded aspect of Bitcoin is stupid? Only if you're happy for Bitcoin to languish in it's current financial ghetto.
Activity: 93
Merit: 10
legendary
donator
Activity: 335
Merit: 250
Bitcoin, Ripple & Blockchain pioneer
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA256

Hello guys,

I have to say that it was really me the person who sent the 400 bitcoins to the address that Goat said.
I thought Goat was the kind of person I could really trust my money and as such I made a deal with him to purchase some of his bonds at an agreed upon pre-IPO price.

In order to make the reserve, I had to send the coins before the IPO so following his instructions I send my coins to the address he gave me. Although I planned to send higher amounts of money, fortunately I decided to send 400 BTCs first and wait for Goat's confirmation before sending the rest of the coins.

Following my plan I sent the first 400 bitcoins to him but two hours later I got a PM from Goat asking me to stop sending more bitcoins to that address. I did not know what had happened until I got another message from him. In the new message he said that he gave me a bad address, it was 100% his fault and he was willing to pay me back.

I fully trusted his word so despite this mistake I keep on making business with him, but this time sending the bitcoins to a new bitcoin address that he fully double check in order to be sure he could receive the coins.

Today Goat has successfully transferred the bonds I bought so he really kept his word.

I would like to give public recognition to Goat, as he has taken care of this issue and assume full responsibility for his fault from the very first moment.

As a bitcoin trader, for me trust is the only thing as valuable as bitcoin. As now Goat's reputation and trustworthiness is on the rise I am confident that he will recover from this loss very soon and make big money as people will really want to do business with someone like him.

Victor Escudero.
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.11 (GNU/Linux)

iF4EAREIAAYFAk+8DZcACgkQ8AwyXklxLE89zgD9HHyKoK5JtoUfKILBnyiw/I10
Bnsce/zyYxuGNgyBsLAA/iIAbFoUo7yFTfH1BMQKUnXidNBJwVHIbkdtH42jmThR
=WEOJ
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
legendary
Activity: 1204
anonymity and privacy?

the total lack of this is how people were able to tell me what I did 6 months ago!

Isn't that because the address you paid to had been made public by it's owner?

no, maged figured it out by using skills i lack.
Just to clarify, twobitcoins did most of the work. I just verified the information using a different method of blockchain analysis that required a deeper knowledge of clients and the protocol.
legendary
Activity: 3578
Merit: 1091
Think for yourself
anonymity and privacy?

the total lack of this is how people were able to tell me what I did 6 months ago!

Isn't that because the address you paid to had been made public by it's owner?
donator
Activity: 3024
Merit: 1105
following, any side bets yet on it's being recovered  Wink
Pages:
Jump to: