Pages:
Author

Topic: 50K bidwall at 2.30 - Crash over? - page 3. (Read 8044 times)

legendary
Activity: 1692
Merit: 1018
November 17, 2011, 12:42:31 AM
Weeeeeeee!  My condolences to everyone who bought in the past few hours.  New lows are on the horizon.

We're back in the cycle.  Didn't get as high as I thought (closer to $3), but the game is on again.  'Wall' at $2.30 disappears, reappears at $2.00 and the market is sold off.  Rinse, repeat.
legendary
Activity: 2198
Merit: 1311
November 17, 2011, 12:32:19 AM
Weeeeeeee!  My condolences to everyone who bought in the past few hours.  New lows are on the horizon.
Activity: 798
Merit: 1000
November 15, 2011, 10:53:39 PM
The delusion around here is astounding.
legendary
Activity: 1008
Merit: 1023
Democracy is the original 51% attack
November 15, 2011, 10:52:16 PM
Meanwhile, some of us don't get distracted by the spectacle of days, weeks, or month-long moves.
legendary
Activity: 826
Merit: 1001
rippleFanatic
November 15, 2011, 10:20:55 PM

The record volume, ~375k BTC is almost double the old record (which was closer to ~200k BTC).  That seems to me to be a game-changer.  If this volume was mostly someone trading with him/herself (phantom volume of a manipulator), or otherwise normal volume of market-makers, then why was it never this high before?

Answer:  Increase in usage of a certain service.

Bitcoinica didn't just open yesterday.  Yesterday's volume was a major outlier, which can't be hand-waved away.

Yeah, but there is not enough panic yet. That wall is simply there to fuck with us. It is supporting the price until enough bids have been placed, after which it will be abruptly pulled and further panic will ensue. I might be wrong, but I don't think any manipulator worth his salt would actually give his hand away by leaving that wall there for so long. Call me crazy.

He also put up a $250k ask for all of a few seconds. Is there any explanation for that? Was he bragging?
You would think he would spread out the wall a bit to make it not so obvious. But perhaps he just wants to see how stupid people are.

Volume of almost twice the previous record qualifies as "enough panic", IMO.  Or, he's gonna drop the wall and everyone will panic sell at $1.xx?  That does sound crazy.  How many people would still be holding, with a stop-loss below $2, especially given yesterday's record sell-off?  Not many, I wouldn't think. 

The simpler explanation is that there's a big buyer who bought a bunch of bitcoin, and who is ready to buy at least 50k more.  He's broadcasting a direct signal to the market.  Whoever was selling either ran out of BTC, or got the message.

Market, meet bottom.  (unless it isn't.  i suppose it could be a ploy to mindfuck and manipulate the market sheeple into buying now and panic selling later at $1.xx, if they're dumb enough).
November 15, 2011, 08:47:08 PM
Yeah, but there is not enough panic yet. That wall is simply there to fuck with us. It is supporting the price until enough bids have been placed, after which it will be abruptly pulled and further panic will ensue. I might be wrong, but I don't think any manipulator worth his salt would actually give his hand away by leaving that wall there for so long. Call me crazy.

He also put up a $250k ask for all of a few seconds. Is there any explanation for that? Was he bragging?
You would think he would spread out the wall a bit to make it not so obvious. But perhaps he just wants to see how stupid people are.
Activity: 336
Merit: 250
November 15, 2011, 08:36:09 PM
Put panic into the eyes of the sheep with a mild 25-50k sell off, drop the value 20-30%, buy 25-50k coins back around $1 less, profit 30-40k USD, maintain BTC balance, rinse, repeat.

November 15, 2011, 08:23:03 PM
You do realize that this is exactly what you are supposed to think? Don't fall for it.

Put panic into the eyes of the sheep with a mild 25-50k sell off, drop the value 20-30%, buy 25-50k coins back around $1 less, profit 30-40k USD, maintain BTC balance, rinse, repeat.

By continuing to support bitcoin, you are continuing to allow this to happen. So many people are capable of doing what was done today. Stop supporting bitcoin. If the volume of real money entering this system increases and the price rises, it is just another fantastic opportunity to be an early adopter and take that money from you. Too few people are capable of always controlling so much of the supply. It is a farce.
November 15, 2011, 08:03:23 PM
Seriously, you guys haven't figure it out yet?  The bet this guy is making is that the impressive amounts of cash he puts up will induce confidence in people such that they place bids ahead of his large bids.  He then drops his bids and sells into the bids that built up ahead of his.  Rinse, repeat.  He's cashing out, not getting in.

I don't buy this.  $100k bluff bids would be a risky way of 'cashing out'.  Dude is buying bitcoin.

You do realize that this is exactly what you are supposed to think? Don't fall for it.
Activity: 686
Merit: 500
Shame on everything; regret nothing.
November 15, 2011, 07:21:13 PM

The record volume, ~375k BTC is almost double the old record (which was closer to ~200k BTC).  That seems to me to be a game-changer.  If this volume was mostly someone trading with him/herself (phantom volume of a manipulator), or otherwise normal volume of market-makers, then why was it never this high before?

Answer:  Increase in usage of a certain service.
legendary
rippleFanatic
November 15, 2011, 07:17:42 PM
Seriously, you guys haven't figure it out yet?  The bet this guy is making is that the impressive amounts of cash he puts up will induce confidence in people such that they place bids ahead of his large bids.  He then drops his bids and sells into the bids that built up ahead of his.  Rinse, repeat.  He's cashing out, not getting in.

I don't buy this.  $100k bluff bids would be a risky way of 'cashing out'.  Dude is buying bitcoin.
legendary
rippleFanatic
November 15, 2011, 06:52:00 PM
The point of the bidwall is the opposite of what you think it is. It is not to hold the price up, it is to trigger panic sells. Notice that last night there was a single sell of something like 10000 BTC between 2.45 and 2.2. Let's say the average price was 2.3. Now the same seller is propping up 2.2. Any buys at 2.2 are profit for them because they just sold at 2.3. But even better, when things look ripe, they can drop the wall, and maybe kick start things with a little sell of 500 or so coins. Let the price plummit and then buy their same 10000 BTC back on the cheap as everyone panics.

This is what I have been saying. This person/group is getting a lot more coins by causing these swift drops, selling at the higher prices and buying at the low. Either that or they are manipulating the market to get some money out while maintaining their coin levels. I do not think this is someone cashing out but rather skimming off the top.

If we assume that this is not normal or faux volume, then we conclude that some BTC was traded.  Someone cashed out, and someone else cashed in, and unless the price stalls here, there will be a wrong side of that trade.

Seems to me that the market is panic selling before $1.xx (near record volume the last big dip a month ago, mostly around $3 and bottoming at $2.04, and again in huge record volume mostly around $2.50 and bottoming at $2.10).

If a lot are waiting to buy in the $1's (and it seems to me that they are), who will be there panic selling in the $1's?  Early adopters and Mr. Manipulator?  hah.  The joe bitcoin who was manipulated into buying at $2.28 by a bid wall at $2.20?  Is he gonna panic sell at $1.50?

I call bottom.  (could be wrong - $1.5 btc for xmas?)

November 15, 2011, 06:35:36 PM
That was the best laugh I have had in a while. Thank you proudhon! Cheesy
legendary
Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057
Marketing manager - GO MP
November 15, 2011, 04:55:40 PM
roflmao
donator
Activity: 392
Merit: 252
November 15, 2011, 04:51:27 PM
legendary
Activity: 2198
Merit: 1311
November 15, 2011, 04:46:44 PM
legendary
Activity: 1762
Merit: 1011
November 15, 2011, 03:50:46 PM
At least the price is still above the October 19th low. Wink

legendary
Activity: 2100
November 15, 2011, 03:27:24 PM
The point of the bidwall is the opposite of what you think it is. It is not to hold the price up, it is to trigger panic sells. Notice that last night there was a single sell of something like 10000 BTC between 2.45 and 2.2. Let's say the average price was 2.3. Now the same seller is propping up 2.2. Any buys at 2.2 are profit for them because they just sold at 2.3. But even better, when things look ripe, they can drop the wall, and maybe kick start things with a little sell of 500 or so coins. Let the price plummit and then buy their same 10000 BTC back on the cheap as everyone panics.

This is what I have been saying. This person/group is getting a lot more coins by causing these swift drops, selling at the higher prices and buying at the low. Either that or they are manipulating the market to get some money out while maintaining their coin levels. I do not think this is someone cashing out but rather skimming off the top.

I agree with you. this person probably is a very experienced trader with one of the highest capitalization in the bitcoin exchanges, and he uses this to his advantage.
It would take a few additional highly capitalized traders / investors to show him that the game is over.
But it does not seem like a lot of new traders / investors are getting into bitcoins...
legendary
Activity: 4690
Merit: 1276
November 15, 2011, 02:12:55 PM
No point really, I just dislike seeing blanket statements calling people stupid and idiots for being the victim of a crime, but some people are just like that I suppose. 

While it is not right to say someone is an idiot for being the victim of a crime, it is, unfortunately, more often the case than not that they were a victim because they are an idiot.  Or more charitably, made some mistakes which in hindsight (and foresight to some) were fairly obviously mistakes.

Activity: 560
Merit: 500
November 15, 2011, 02:07:20 PM

Pages:
Jump to: