Pages:
Author

Topic: 7nm miner thread - page 5. (Read 7445 times)

legendary
Activity: 3612
Merit: 2506
Evil beware: We have waffles!
September 06, 2017, 01:14:39 PM
You guys are all too funny.  But on a serious note; let's keep it to 7nm speculation and what it could do to the 16nm ASICs.

You must have missed the point of the sarcasm dripping from every post in this thread. There is no 7nm speculation. It is so far away from being a reality there is no point in even discussing it.
Ja.
Case in point: This is the EUV light source used to produce the test wafers that have been ran to start characterizing how the gates actually perform vs models ASML EUV Stepper
Note the throughput given in the article: 100 wafers per hour. That was only very recently reached after almost 20 years of R&D on the light source and 100/hr is their bare minimum for the process to viable even for top-end priced chips.

From Oct 2016 about GloFo and their stepper (same one) GloFo 7nm EUV Progress

Like I said earlier: In another year or 2 if there is an economic  need for them and 10nm and lower node mining ASICs are finally produced, of course we'll buy them and of course they will start to displace the current 16/14nm node miners. Until that rather distant future (in Tech Time) is rather pointless to discuss what eventually happens to all devices as its technology evolves.
Activity: 756
Merit: 560
September 06, 2017, 12:15:59 PM
You guys are all too funny.  But on a serious note; let's keep it to 7nm speculation and what it could do to the 16nm ASICs.

You must have missed the point of the sarcasm dripping from every post in this thread. There is no 7nm speculation. It is so far away from being a reality there is no point in even discussing it.
Activity: 420
Merit: 250
September 06, 2017, 09:58:27 AM
You guys are all too funny.  But on a serious note; let's keep it to 7nm speculation and what it could do to the 16nm ASICs.
legendary
September 06, 2017, 01:46:58 AM
Yo NotFuzzy, shhhhh... don't be giving out sound advice. The op, and all wide-eyed naive wannabe god's gift to mining, should totally wait for the 7nm node to hit the mining hardware segment. Hell, you'd be a fool to buy in at 7nm, really, when the 4nm node will be right behind it and just think, at least 0.001J/G or 1W per THs.
You're a complete idiot for buying any current gear with THAT coming down the pike any day now!
No, really!
Well sometimes that bothersome nice bit of me comes out... Usually a sign that it's time to medicate...
And don't forget that that as Foxminers claims with their 90THs Wonder miner (also using 28nm chips), "The chips are Endothermic -- instead of producing heat they actually absorb heat from their surroundings" ...

So I guess they actually cool the room and the heat majikly is transported to another dimension right? Wink With that technology most definitely need to hold off buying today's crap...
Activity: 1610
Merit: 538
I'm in BTC XTC
September 05, 2017, 11:40:58 PM
Yo NotFuzzy, shhhhh... don't be giving out sound advice. The op, and all wide-eyed naive wannabe god's gift to mining, should totally wait for the 7nm node to hit the mining hardware segment. Hell, you'd be a fool to buy in at 7nm, really, when the 4nm node will be right behind it and just think, at least 0.001J/G or 1W per THs.
You're a complete idiot for buying any current gear with THAT coming down the pike any day now!
No, really!
legendary
September 05, 2017, 09:54:57 PM
More to the point of the OP asking
With that said... Who is going to continue to ramp up operations with Avalon or S9 given these are coming out?   I would figure units like that go obsolete within the first release of 7nm.
Current gen obsolete soon?

I still have 1 UC/UV s7 running and only last month retired the last 2 full speed s7's. Even now they are still marginally profitable for me but I used their power quota to upgrade with Avalons. Given that I got my 1st s9 early in 2016 and that they will still be uber profitable for at least another 1-2 years there is simply no need to upgrade soon.

Now once the next lower nodes are used for mining chips - and that will be long after the main users start getting Production yields - sure. Then it maybe/probably will be economically prudent to always buy the best/latest available at that time but that will not be anytime 'soon' and definitely does not mean an existing farm is suddenly unprofitable when the next-gens finally show up in the wild.

So, in the meantime IF you are going to mine then get off yer duff and start now! Start growing your farm so it can finance future expansion/upgrades in the future.
Activity: 658
Merit: 500
Visualize whirledps
September 05, 2017, 07:15:21 PM
Should be amusing to read what the masses of folks here folks with no ties to the Semiconductor Industry come up with for their Speculative dreaming thoughts.  Grin

300ths at 500W, shipping Nov 2017!  Wink

I will be getting three of these. Sounds great!

Make that four. I've always to have over 1ph of my own gear!  Cool
Activity: 756
Merit: 560
September 05, 2017, 07:15:08 PM
I like that you jumped right to 7nm and ignored the 10nm process when the mining companies are still on 14/16nm. This thread might be useful around 2020....
legendary
Activity: 1764
Merit: 1750
Verified Bernie Bro - Feel The Bern!
September 05, 2017, 05:30:27 PM
Should be amusing to read what the masses of folks here folks with no ties to the Semiconductor Industry come up with for their Speculative dreaming thoughts.  Grin

300ths at 500W, shipping Nov 2017!  Wink
legendary
September 05, 2017, 05:02:58 PM
Should be amusing to read what the masses of folks here folks with no ties to the Semiconductor Industry come up with for their Speculative dreaming thoughts.  Grin
Activity: 420
Merit: 250
September 05, 2017, 04:45:26 PM
7nm chips will be coming out in early 2018 (or so they say).   Let us use this as the placeholder for discussions.    

One company has talked about it lightly in their presser - Canaan.   I assume they will be restrictive and not disclose much but we should watch for news coming from TSMC.  

With that said... Who is going to continue to ramp up operations with Avalon or S9 given these are coming out?   I would figure units like that go obsolete within the first release of 7nm.
Pages:
Jump to: