Pages:
Author

Topic: 7xGPU + Windows // modding AMD video driver is the answer - page 15. (Read 71690 times)

Activity: 24
Merit: 0
It is not so difficult to start 8 AMD GPU and 2 NVIDIA and may be even more but i have to buy pci-e expander first to chek this. The only thing is that you have to connect one monitor to one of AMD cards and other to one of NVIDIA otherwise you will have problems with sgminer and msi afterburner. Windows 7 and 8 do almost same results.
Activity: 896
Merit: 1000
GIGABYTE 990FXA UD3 motherboard, FX 8320, 4 X 2 GB RAM.
I tried prepatched drivers 14.4. Also 14.6 RC2 and patched it. Actually i have no problems running 4 X 7990 without any modded drivers. The problem comes when i install 5th 7990 which adds two more GPUs. Thes it installs driver and after restart when windows 8.1 is loading appears some kind of blue screen where is written that ATIKMPG of something like this file caused problem and windows will restart trying to fix this problem. It is always the same no matter which driver i use. Modded or not. Later i removed 5th 7990 and just disabled 2 of the cores. Then put again 5th VGA and windows started normally. When i try to enable 9th GPU windows crashes with the same blue screen with counter to restart trying to fix (atikmpag.sys) Smiley  Ok. Somebody tall me that windows have 8 GPU limitation which could not be removed. I think it is not true!!!
Today i installed two Nvidia750 Ti to check what is going on and there is no problem. 4 X 7990 which is 8 GPU and two Nvidia GPU was installed correctly and also mining at this moment! I will make screenshot later and will post it in topic! If somebody is familiar with AMD drivers please help to improve it if its possible AMD drivers to support 10 or more GPU.

I have same experience. I cannot make 9-10 AMD GPU work.
GIGABYTE 990FXA UD3 motherboard, FX 8320, 4 X 2 GB RAM.
I tried prepatched drivers 14.4. Also 14.6 RC2 and patched it. Actually i have no problems running 4 X 7990 without any modded drivers. The problem comes when i install 5th 7990 which adds two more GPUs. Thes it installs driver and after restart when windows 8.1 is loading appears some kind of blue screen where is written that ATIKMPG of something like this file caused problem and windows will restart trying to fix this problem. It is always the same no matter which driver i use. Modded or not. Later i removed 5th 7990 and just disabled 2 of the cores. Then put again 5th VGA and windows started normally. When i try to enable 9th GPU windows crashes with the same blue screen with counter to restart trying to fix (atikmpag.sys) Smiley  Ok. Somebody tall me that windows have 8 GPU limitation which could not be removed. I think it is not true!!!
Today i installed two Nvidia750 Ti to check what is going on and there is no problem. 4 X 7990 which is 8 GPU and two Nvidia GPU was installed correctly and also mining at this moment! I will make screenshot later and will post it in topic! If somebody is familiar with AMD drivers please help to improve it if its possible AMD drivers to support 10 or more GPU.
4 x 7990 - 8 GPU and no more possible! I was thinking it is windows limitation but now i'm almost sure that this is AMD driver issue. Today i installed two Nvidia750 Ti to check whas goin on and there is no problem. 10 GPU! I will make sceenhot tomorrow and will post it here! If somebody is familiar with AMD drivers plese help to improve if its possible, drivers to support 10 or more GPU Wink
Activity: 392
Merit: 250
Not compatible with 14.9.Please update.
Activity: 462
Windows 8.1 64
4x AMD7990 - 8 GPU
Have no problems running on 14.4, 14.6 etc but i have 6 7990 Smiley Is there any way to start more than 8 gpu on windows 8.1. I have readed somewhere that this is driver issue! When i try to start the system it shows me error in ATIKMPG or something like this. Help if it is possible.

I cannot make more than 8 GPU work. I tried 3x7990+3x7970. It will crash the computer. Win 8 and 8.1 were used.
Windows 8.1 64
4x AMD7990 - 8 GPU
Have no problems running on 14.4, 14.6 etc but i have 6 7990 Smiley Is there any way to start more than 8 gpu on windows 8.1. I have readed somewhere that this is driver issue! When i try to start the system it shows me error in ATIKMPG or something like this. Help if it is possible.
legendary
Activity: 1596
Merit: 1000
OP doesn't state if 14.7 R3 is supported

OP does state this, tho -
Supported driver versions and operating systems
Any Windows and any AMD driver version should be supported in theory.

Anyway, if you try it and it won't work, I'll take a look.

It works perfectly with 14.7 RC3. Thanks for the great tool!
lbr
Activity: 423
Merit: 254
OP doesn't state if 14.7 R3 is supported

OP does state this, tho -
Supported driver versions and operating systems
Any Windows and any AMD driver version should be supported in theory.

Anyway, if you try it and it won't work, I'll take a look.
HoY
Activity: 26
This post hasn't been updated in a while I'm just wondering if you are still maintaining it? OP doesn't state if 14.7 R3 is supported, so I thought I'd ask, and if newer versions will be supported as they come out? I don't even know if newer versions than 14.6 help with any hash rates, but I'd like to find out! All my rigs are 6-7 card rigs tho
lbr
Is there any way to do this with Nvidia 750ti cards?

What is the issue with nVidia cards exactly?
legendary
Activity: 1610
Merit: 1003
"Yobit pump alert software" Link in my signature!
Is there any way to do this with Nvidia 750ti cards?

Hi,OP.My rigs lost audio after implemented this reg mod.It acts as HTPC sometimes.Can you post one without disabling the audio?

You have 5+ GPUs in HTPC? ; )

You can edit mod reg file before importing it. For example delete all lines setting DP_DisableHBR2. That way maybe you will find the key affecting audio. Probably this one - DalNumSupportedHDMIConnections.

Since I don't use audio from GPUs and don't have any device which can use audio from GPU there is no way I can find which setting causes it.
Thanks.problem solved
lbr
Hi,OP.My rigs lost audio after implemented this reg mod.It acts as HTPC sometimes.Can you post one without disabling the audio?

You have 5+ GPUs in HTPC? ; )

You can edit mod reg file before importing it. For example delete all lines setting DP_DisableHBR2. That way maybe you will find the key affecting audio. Probably this one - DalNumSupportedHDMIConnections.

Since I don't use audio from GPUs and don't have any device which can use audio from GPU there is no way I can find which setting causes it.
lbr
Since Linux works, I really don't think it is a hardware issue.
Well, its not like hw is broken, but prly some combination of something is preventing win or driver to work properly.
Like that 6x290 on rev.4.. we never figured what is going on.. tried 32GB of RAM, all available BIOS-es, different BIOS settings, risers, etc..

Or that 'full logo show', just crazy - how exactly gigabyte logo at startup help BIOS to boot? ; )
I personally think, that GA BIOS simply does not work if GPUs report no display at all(and 290 cards do that) but 'full logo show' is bugged and ignores display info from GPUs and just outputs.. The truth is out there ; )

Ah, btw, if you have display plugged in, make sure that BIOS is visible at boot if not plug it into different card until you see it. Some mobos and later win go nuts if display is plugged into not 'init first' card.
lbr
this rig has 4gb of ram; the working one has 8
try this one first, should take the least time and ram sometimes is important
Activity: 54
lbr, I'm having a similar problem on Windows 7 Home Premium. I have 6x XFX 7970s on a Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 with both x1 slots pin shorted. I have tried 14.4 (moded inf files), 14.6 may 23 (app), and 14.7 july 9 (app). What happens is I either get code 43 on 1 out of 6 gpu's (it's a different gpu with each catalyst version), or my computer instantly shuts down between the windows logo screen and the Welcome screen, until I do a cold reboot, then I get code 43. I think it may be a Windows problem because I'm able to run BAMT on this rig with the 14.6 linux drivers (though I only get HW errors because I can't figure out how to install sgminer in linux properly). I've been able to install 14.6 on four 6 or 7 gpu rigs with Windows, including one rig with the same motherboard and 6x r9 270X's.

Have you tried 13.12? Or even 13.1 from techpowerup?
The problem is that 'code 43' occurs not only when driver are not configured properly(this scenario is solved by mod), but also when something else is wrong..

Whats the revision of your 990fxa-ud3?
I'm running 6x290 on x1 risers on 990fxa-ud3 rev:3.0. However I helped a guy setup 6x290 with same mobo but 4.0 revision and it din't work. Nor in Windows nor in BAMT nor in xUbuntu. Windows reported code 43, *nix hanged on boot. So there is something wrong with this mobo prly. The issue was solved by swapping one 290 with 7950..

Also, that 6x290 on 990fxa-ud3 refused to boot at all headless untill I set "Full Screen LOGO Show" to "Enabled" in BIOS - very odd.

Tho.. if u say BAMT works.. then there is deffo something wrong with Win.
Anyway, pm me TV id/pwd, maybe I will be able to find out whats going on there.

Thank you for the offer to help me personally, but I feel that you are far too talented to waste your time on me. I just tried 13.12 with the same results. Both the rigs with 6 gpu's run rev 4.0 of the 990FXA-UD3. One works one doesn't. I've tried swapping in a 7950, but that didn't help. I've been properly cleaning up the drivers with one of your old instruction sets. Aside from the type of GPU's, there are only 3 other differences in the rigs: (1) this rig has 4gb of ram; the working one has 8; (2) This one has dual identical 1000 watt psu's; the working one is a single 1250 watt psu; and (3) this one is running Windows 7 Home Premium installed and activated by the previous owner; the working one is running windows 8.1. I'm thinking the last bit is the most important. Since Linux works, I really don't think it is a hardware issue. I'm going to try and borrow a hard drive and put a clean windows 8.1 install and the 14.6 may 23 drivers and will report back. I think this is an isolated case rather than a bug with your software.
Activity: 115
Merit: 10
I checked the box for Modify Registry and ran the app, restarted the machine and still had one of the cards showing a 43 error code.  I then checked the box for Modify Registry and Force, ran the app and also merged the reg file manually then restarted and all cards were working.  I should have restarted first without merging the reg file to test properly but it had been a long day so sorry for the poor testing there.
Hm.. maybe I do have some bugs in 'Modify Registry'.. Or not.. Sadly I've not implemented reporting mod results back to me so I could find what exactly is going on.. Anyway, will check.

Headless, I was running windows 7 x64 with 6x Sapphire Tri-x 290's and mining Monero but kept getting lockups with any of Claymore's miners past 3.4 so I decided to give windows 8.1 a try.  I have four of these rigs but testing on two of them, if I remove the monitor and then teamviewer in, all I get is a black screen.  This issue was present before the mod and I have read a few people stating the exact same thing - http://www.reddit.com/r/litecoinmining/comments/1wdawz/headless_windows_81_290x/ - With windows 7 I was restricted to a 640x480 teamviewer window, but at least I could see the desktop and there was just enough space to use the machine, windows 8.1 I get nothing.  I have ordered a few of these - http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00C9UB9OK/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1 - as the cards only have dvi-d, hdmi and display port and all of the dvi converters I have are dvi-i > vga.  Fingers crossed.
Yeah.. 640x480 also pisses me off. I've solved it by plugging dummy display emulator - into one of the cards ; )
This restriction comes from some mess about display detection logic and unlikely to be fixed ever.
http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/8a9b5aa7-fe33-4e6d-b39b-8ac80a21fdc2/disable-monitor-off-detection-how?forum=w7itprogeneral
Long and sad story how certain software and hardware manufacturers could not or didn't want to make things 'right'.

Try -
setx DISPLAY ":0"
and reboot, without this my Windows Server rigs don't work headless and both TeamViewer and some VNC servers show black screen.

Thanks for the link to the hdmi dummy plug, if these others that I have bought don't work I will try them and I'll give the setx command a go, will let you know how that works out.
lbr
I checked the box for Modify Registry and ran the app, restarted the machine and still had one of the cards showing a 43 error code.  I then checked the box for Modify Registry and Force, ran the app and also merged the reg file manually then restarted and all cards were working.  I should have restarted first without merging the reg file to test properly but it had been a long day so sorry for the poor testing there.
Hm.. maybe I do have some bugs in 'Modify Registry'.. Or not.. Sadly I've not implemented reporting mod results back to me so I could find what exactly is going on.. Anyway, will check.

Headless, I was running windows 7 x64 with 6x Sapphire Tri-x 290's and mining Monero but kept getting lockups with any of Claymore's miners past 3.4 so I decided to give windows 8.1 a try.  I have four of these rigs but testing on two of them, if I remove the monitor and then teamviewer in, all I get is a black screen.  This issue was present before the mod and I have read a few people stating the exact same thing - http://www.reddit.com/r/litecoinmining/comments/1wdawz/headless_windows_81_290x/ - With windows 7 I was restricted to a 640x480 teamviewer window, but at least I could see the desktop and there was just enough space to use the machine, windows 8.1 I get nothing.  I have ordered a few of these - http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00C9UB9OK/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1 - as the cards only have dvi-d, hdmi and display port and all of the dvi converters I have are dvi-i > vga.  Fingers crossed.
Yeah.. 640x480 also pisses me off. I've solved it by plugging dummy display emulator - into one of the cards ; )
This restriction comes from some mess about display detection logic and unlikely to be fixed ever.
http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/8a9b5aa7-fe33-4e6d-b39b-8ac80a21fdc2/disable-monitor-off-detection-how?forum=w7itprogeneral
Long and sad story how certain software and hardware manufacturers could not or didn't want to make things 'right'.

Try -
setx DISPLAY ":0"
and reboot, without this my Windows Server rigs don't work headless and both TeamViewer and some VNC servers show black screen.
Pages:
Jump to: