Pages:
Author

Topic: 7xGPU + Windows // modding AMD video driver is the answer - page 9. (Read 71688 times)

Activity: 8
Merit: 0
For me it works  with Crimson 16.10.2 + 6gpu_mod ( win7 and win 8.1 )

Thanks for the input.
Just did a safe reboot DDU, then installed Crimson 16.10.2 and executed 6gpu_mod (including Force, Modify Registry and Restart).

The result unfortunately is the same:

https://i.imgsafe.org/6f810a5c7a.png

Any help would be appreciated.
Otherwise I have to also try Winsrv2016.

Thanks

Activity: 466
Merit: 500
Hello,

I have the following setup running:

6x XFX RX 480
Asrock Pro BTC
Windows 8.1

The problem is, the driver 15.12 is not working for RX 480 anymore, therefore I have to use the newest driver, which at the moment is Crimson 16.11.5.
Five GPUs are working fine, but I can't get the sixth GPU recognized from the system.

I also tried 6xGPU Mod with 16.11.5, but it's not working. It's not an issue related to a clean uninstall, because I've successfully used DDU with a safe restart.

I also tried the drivers 14.4 and 16.1.1, but they are also not able to be installed on the RX 480.
The problem always is, that only the two options "HDMI Audio Driver" and "AMD Install Manager" can be selected, but after clicking the Install button, the installation is finished within a few seconds and ONLY those two items have been installed but no display drivers.

Do you know any fix for getting the sixth GPU to work with the 16.11.5 driver version?

Thanks very much in advance.

Kind regards,
- hwlgraka
For me it works  with Crimson 16.10.2 + 6gpu_mod ( win7 and win 8.1 )
Do you know any fix for getting the sixth GPU to work with the 16.11.5 driver version?

Windows Server 2016

Thanks for the hint. Do I have to take anything special into account?
Or is it just installing Windows Server 2016 GUI-Version, installing the newest AMD driver for the RX 480, running the 6xGPU Mod and then it should work?

Did you already test Windows Server 2016? Because I tried WinSrv2012R2 but I wasn't able to install any of the AMD drivers. It always failed due to the message "Application install: install package failure". I installed all the c++ redistributables, but couldn't get it working, therefore I switched to Win8.1.

Thanks
lbr
Activity: 423
Merit: 254

Windows Server 2016
Hello,

I have the following setup running:

6x XFX RX 480
Asrock Pro BTC
Windows 8.1

The problem is, the driver 15.12 is not working for RX 480 anymore, therefore I have to use the newest driver, which at the moment is Crimson 16.11.5.
Five GPUs are working fine, but I can't get the sixth GPU recognized from the system.

I also tried 6xGPU Mod with 16.11.5, but it's not working. It's not an issue related to a clean uninstall, because I've successfully used DDU with a safe restart.

I also tried the drivers 14.4 and 16.1.1, but they are also not able to be installed on the RX 480.
The problem always is, that only the two options "HDMI Audio Driver" and "AMD Install Manager" can be selected, but after clicking the Install button, the installation is finished within a few seconds and ONLY those two items have been installed but no display drivers.

Thanks very much in advance.

Kind regards,
- hwlgraka
Activity: 33
How about how to get 8 or 9 GPU's working in windows 10?
I'll try with 8 and 9 these days

9 will not work.
Activity: 169
Merit: 100
i have 8xRX 480, but not working, black screen, with 7x480 works fine.
legendary
Activity: 1512
Merit: 1000
quarkchain.io
I'll try with 8 and 9 these days
Activity: 168
Merit: 104
legendary
Activity: 1834
Merit: 1080
---- winter*juvia -----
Would someone give me a hint , how to run 7+ Polaris GPUs under Win8.1 x64.
I succeed to run only 6 , the mod could not fix the 7th gpu...

Get this - https://www.aliexpress.com/item/PCI-e-Express-1X-to-3-Port-1X-Switch-Multiplier-HUB-Riser-Card-USB-Cable-Drop/32688639286.html?spm=2114.13010608.0.0.CkQQsb

and you may need to upgrade to Win10 to make it work.
Yeah I've setup a similar one with 4 additional slots , but the problem is how to run all the cards on win 8.1

hmmm.... RX480s or 470s x 7 on Win8.1.... sorry dude havent tried that because when RX480s first came out it only supported W10 and W7..... I think W8.1 support only came later and with Wattman etc. seems only W10 can do the job.

Anyways, for what its worth my 7 x R370 on Win 8.1 below no issues with the PCI multiplexor, last PCI slot with 2 x GPU with this special riser. The only thing unique I guess is the Crimson version 16.11.2. I remembered upgrading this rig from 15.12; also I think I had to do the 6XGPU hack too to get rid of the Error 43 thinghy.

I believe there is no issues in supporting 7 GPUs on W10 - should work.

Have you tried safe mode DDU and install latest Crimson?

legendary
quarkchain.io

Get this - https://www.aliexpress.com/item/PCI-e-Express-1X-to-3-Port-1X-Switch-Multiplier-HUB-Riser-Card-USB-Cable-Drop/32688639286.html?spm=2114.13010608.0.0.CkQQsb

Yeah I've setup a similar one with 4 additional slots , but the problem is how to run all the cards on win 8.1
legendary
---- winter*juvia -----

legendary
quarkchain.io
Activity: 671
Merit: 501
Blockchain and stuff
Am I wasting my time, trying to get mixed 2x 7970 1x 7990, 2x RX 480's on the same windows rig?    It seems the standard 15.12 wont recognize the 480's, and get BSOD's after 10 seconds when using 16.9.  

EDIT

Seems to work just fine without the 7990 (4cards) but with the 7990 (6 cards) its very unstable. BSOD and blackscreens.

In my small farm, I use ASrock H81 (3,4,5,6,7 GPUs with risers) and Biostar Z170 (4xGPU no risers).

I am done doing rig with risers, so future rigs with 4xGPU formats only to simplify mining operations.

Mixing GPU types is always a nightmare mainly because of drivers, PCI-USB risers, PCI slot and power draw issues...

For AMD, newer cards like RX / Polaris based - better on separate rigs because of driver support and other peculiar RX add-ons.

That is what I am learning. My 79xx tahiti based cards all are happy as clams on 15.12, but unstable on the 16.x series drivers, though I have yet to try them all.  I have the asrock btc pro, so I have 6 slots and was hoping to mix cards, but alas, seems it wont be so
Activity: 41
Merit: 10
Hello guys! I am trying to build a 7 gpu mining rig with the following components:

i3 Processor
8gb ram ddr3
MSI z97 gaming 5 Mobo
2x 1000 watts psu
and 7x 480 PowerColor 4g Gpu
USB 3.0 powered risers
on a Win 8.1 Pro operative system.

And I am experiencing issues to have all the cards recognized even after over 8 hours of trying different things like:

Clearing CMOS
Checking risers (they all are working)
Switching back and forward gpus within pcie ports for hours, which allowed me to recognize the 6th card like a regular H81 Pro BTC MOBO.
Everytime I plug a GPU to the PCIE7 slot the system won run. I am about to uninstall everything and start from the OS.

Do you guys have any idea what am I missing?

BTW: I am trying to emulate the process made by Cryptomined (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWVyutw3hZk). But he says something about the memory on the minute 11:55 that  I can not understand with my limited english.

I hope someone can help me! Have a good day miners!

Edit: I just managed to have all the gpu recognized but one of them is still showing error code 43, even after applying the 6gpu mod.
legendary
---- winter*juvia -----
Am I wasting my time, trying to get mixed 2x 7970 1x 7990, 2x RX 480's on the same windows rig?    It seems the standard 15.12 wont recognize the 480's, and get BSOD's after 10 seconds when using 16.9.  

EDIT

Seems to work just fine without the 7990 (4cards) but with the 7990 (6 cards) its very unstable. BSOD and blackscreens.

In my small farm, I use ASrock H81 (3,4,5,6,7 GPUs with risers) and Biostar Z170 (4xGPU no risers).

I am done doing rig with risers, so future rigs with 4xGPU formats only to simplify mining operations.

Mixing GPU types is always a nightmare mainly because of drivers, PCI-USB risers, PCI slot and power draw issues...

For AMD, newer cards like RX / Polaris based - better on separate rigs because of driver support and other peculiar RX add-ons.

Activity: 532
Merit: 250
BTC. ETC. EOS
8 x GPU under Windows is a lost cause.... but looking at your build, maybe relook at the PSU - suspect its cause of black screen....

I have a 7 x R7-370 built in June for ETH mining working like a charm.

Although the 370 is not really a fast card, its a very stable, super cool card and is not power hungry.

ATM, its mining ZEC at 58-60 H/s per card with Claymore v6 ZEC miner.

I spent so much time tweaking to get the 8th card to work but no good results.

I stopped experimenting after realising that those downtime should have been put to good use mining and getting profits. 7 cards not put in good mining use is really a waste...

Conclusion to share:

1. Beyond 7 GPU, only Linux can make this happen. Some dude in Ethereum forum has shared this in detailed.

2. Crazy multi GPU Linux rig, I think this dude went all the way to 18 (or more) x GPUs to mine ETH using a special USD$2000 PCI extension board usually meant for deep learning systems. Even Claymore had to release a special Linux version to support it for ETH mining.
See: https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.16895926

3. For Windows 7,8.1,10 - max 7 cards with standard drivers is no issue esp with latest drivers. Older drivers, need the 6xGPU hack utility.

4. Windows Advanced Server with special drivers and Windows registry tweaking - 8 or more cards possible. Google "Deep Learning systems" that are Windows based.

Hi, thanks for sharing your experience as I was thinking about the same thing. It seems like 6 cards are best when running on windows and if we want to squeeze out every bit out of the cards for the time and energy they consume, then go for Linux system.
Activity: 671
Merit: 501
Blockchain and stuff

EDIT

lbr
Activity: 423
Merit: 254
8 x GPU under Windows is a lost cause.... but looking at your build, maybe relook at the PSU - suspect its cause of black screen....
1. Beyond 7 GPU, only Linux can make this happen. Some dude in Ethereum forum has shared this in detailed.
4. Windows Advanced Server with special drivers and Windows registry tweaking - 8 or more cards possible. Google "Deep Learning systems" that are Windows based.

Yes, yes. very advanced Windows Server ; )

How did you get 10 GPUs running? What motherboard are you using?

Thanks
990fxa ud3 rev4.
If I remember corrrectly - 4x7990 + 2x nvidia GPUs. Or connected via PCIe.. mm.. thingy.
Pages:
Jump to: