Pages:
Author

Topic: 8th Alt coin thread. Or what to do now that asics are all over the place. - page 31. (Read 81426 times)

legendary
Activity: 4256
Merit: 8551
'The right to privacy matters'
Happy ThanksGiving as always I want to thank my eye surgon  for repairing my cataratcts if it were 1950 I would be pretty much blind.  Instead I will be looking at the parade shortly.

I also want to mention thanks for 2017 and the rise of crypto.
legendary
Activity: 4256
Merit: 8551
'The right to privacy matters'
I'd say it was a GOOD thing if Bitmain got out. They're such a toxic terrible company and influence.

Toxic and terrible is not exactly what is wrong with just them it is mostly  all asic companies they were fucking morons and ate their babies (altcoins)  with all the asics they built.

BY doing this  along with forking btc  they revealed all the weaknesses of BTC

Dilution of btc  from 1 to 3 chains = fucked up

Destroying  all the gpu alts via asics = fucked up.

So the smarter guy now knows  holding  any alt for anytime is high risk.  What does he do he  gets a few buddies  and manipulates whatever coin he pleases.

As of now any coin  can be attacked  big time  making   large drops and nice short money for those in the know.
Activity: 1151
Merit: 528
I'd say it was a GOOD thing if Bitmain got out. They're such a toxic terrible company and influence.
legendary
Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030
Bitmain is not getting to get out of crypto, they just opened a new facility in WA state. Cash problems as they are, they are expanding.

The facility they are opening is in a strange spot though - it's NOT in the land of Super Low Cost Power (which might be going away for most crypto anyway, given the recent pushback by the 3 county PUDs involved) - the rate they'll be paying there is fairly high for a large crypto operation, as it's NOT all that close to major hydropower in large quantities.

If they were running S9s there right now, they'd be LOSING money to do so - and even the T15 wouldn't be highly profitable.

6-7 cent industrial rate as I recall, might be 5.something at best.
Activity: 6
Merit: 0
Bitmain is not getting to get out of crypto, they just opened a new facility in WA state. Cash problems as they are, they are expanding.
Activity: 463
Merit: 301
if bitmain decides to quit crypto game , btc is deffinitelly going to zero

best thing is bitmain zeros out and top ten people with bitmain get  punished for that by China.  BTC will survive.
Activity: 107
Merit: 11
if bitmain decides to quit crypto game , btc is deffinitelly going to zero . I am not talking only because they will dump xxxx btc or xxxx bitcoin cash or whatever shit coin u want to name. I am citting that one of the biggest players around is going out , which basically would mean only 1 thing - no more money to win in crypto for them.
Activity: 463
Merit: 301
I'm more inclined to think that the apparent Bitmain cash crunch is a bigger reason.

IPO failed

We require a significant amount of capital to fund our operations. We recorded negative
cash flows from operating activities during the Track Record Period. If we cannot obtain
sufficient capital on acceptable terms to fund our operations, our business, financial
condition and prospects may be materially and adversely affected.

why Jihan ? lmao negative cash flows.  Price drop will get a lot worse if Bitmain liquidates everything 0_o

As a result, for the years ended December 31, 2015, 2016 and 2017 and six months
ended June 30, 2018, we recorded net cash used in operating activities of approximately
US$5.6 million, US$96.4 million, US$191.6 million and US$621.8 million, respectively.
Although we believe the cryptocurrencies we hold are highly liquid assets that can be sold in
open market to satisfy our liquidity needs, there is no assurance that we would be able to
dispose of our cryptocurrencies in open market at the price or in the amount we desire.

edit: Did I mention they had 28% of their assets in shitcoins and Bitcoin as of June 2018 ?  
editedit for readability

A full crash and burn is needed.  I am hoping for under 2k for btc as all most all gear is in trouble .

1325 in Nov 2013 turned to 180 in Jan 2015

so 19900 in dec could drop to 2700 in Jan 2019 ,  but I rather see 1600 to 1800.

I am ready for it.
legendary
Activity: 2294
Merit: 1182
Now the money is free, and so the people will be
I'm more inclined to think that the apparent Bitmain cash crunch is a bigger reason.

IPO failed

We require a significant amount of capital to fund our operations. We recorded negative
cash flows from operating activities during the Track Record Period. If we cannot obtain
sufficient capital on acceptable terms to fund our operations, our business, financial
condition and prospects may be materially and adversely affected.

why Jihan ? lmao negative cash flows.  Price drop will get a lot worse if Bitmain liquidates everything 0_o

As a result, for the years ended December 31, 2015, 2016 and 2017 and six months
ended June 30, 2018, we recorded net cash used in operating activities of approximately
US$5.6 million, US$96.4 million, US$191.6 million and US$621.8 million, respectively.
Although we believe the cryptocurrencies we hold are highly liquid assets that can be sold in
open market to satisfy our liquidity needs, there is no assurance that we would be able to
dispose of our cryptocurrencies in open market at the price or in the amount we desire.

edit: Did I mention they had 28% of their assets in shitcoins and Bitcoin as of June 2018 ?  
editedit for readability
legendary
remember the dip to 200 happened twice before shooting well over 1K.

The whales are lining their pockets.   It's just up to us peons to keep from selling off and holding on.  Remember;  just in a little over a month:  the tax year ends.   I am willing to bet this selloff has something to do with it;  wither that or the xmas season.

Technical Analysis isn't voodoo - but it does tend to be meaningless on something that is immature, as external forces will have a LOT more affect then market forces most of the time.
legendary
Took me a while to find this thread. Normally it's somewhere on the first page but now need to go thru a few pages to find it.

I think this thread is a lagging indicator of the markets more or less. During the crypto boom and mining boom especially all of philipma1957 threads had numerous replies all the time and now not very active.

Wonder how many of you guys are still actively mining. I've put my rigs on hold pretty much due to remodeling my place and unless the profitability goes up, probably will keep them offline for a bit.

My old miners like the Antminer S3, Radeon 6990, R9 280X will probably keep in a personal museum.

I'm still mining - but have shut down my last pair of R9-based rigs as they went under water this past week - while my Nvidia-based rigs continue to transition out what they've been doing most of this year into something more profitable.

Here in the US there are many tax advantages for me to keep them running, even if they're running at a slight loss because I can easily heat my entire house.
legendary
About 4.5usd/kwh all included.  Only downside is that under -15c I shut off most rigs and heat the house with heating oil.  Its a residential program we have that provides cheap power but you are obligated to switch off electricity when it gets really cold.  We have a lot of base power generation but peak demand in winter is very high because most people heat with electricity.   Some GPUs I sell very cheap or give to friends/family to upgrade their computers after a while.  Im lucky.  I know the profitability sucks, but if I had advice to give it would be to heat the house in winter, keep the bitcoin and sell it in the next "people going crazy" period.  I'm hoping for some kind of difficulty drop in most altcoins that will mitigate the profit drop with large miners giving up and cashing out.
Winter is here, so its all good.  I'm actually adding 15 570s tomorrow.  Got them for about 95$Cad new.  If anyone wanted to get into mining, its a good time because all the gear and accessories are cheap.
Damn what are you paying for power? If it weren't winter my stuff would be off today..
legendary
Activity: 3808
Merit: 1723
Up to 300% + 200 FS deposit bonuses

The whales are lining their pockets.   It's just up to us peons to keep from selling off and holding on.  Remember;  just in a little over a month:  the tax year ends.   I am willing to bet this selloff has something to do with it;  wither that or the xmas season.

Now that I am doing better day by day, I am trying to flip my mindset on not spending or selling any crypto;  do the long term hold.

I have actually relied on my crypto earnings for the last few years.  It literally kept me from being homeless and hungry for a legitimate year straight.

Yes I actually remember that dip pretty well. Basically I think it had to do with some exchange getting hacked. I actually ended up buying BTC at $175 or so. But it wasn't to hold, it was actually to cover a $300 short I took a few weeks prior.

That day was different however than today. If I recall it took a huge dip but it closed the day on the positive. It looked like a massive stop hunt. But right now we keep dropping almost 20% in 2 occasions in less than a week.

I highly doubt its Satoshi selling his BTC to fund his SV coin but I think its due to the people selling who assumed $6000 was the low. Now that we are almost at $4000, the people who assumed $5000 was the low have probably sold thinking they can buy cheaper.

Hence a huge amount of sellers and almost no buyers except the ones who are covering their short positions.
legendary
Winter is here, so its all good.  I'm actually adding 15 570s tomorrow.  Got them for about 95$Cad new.  If anyone wanted to get into mining, its a good time because all the gear and accessories are cheap.
legendary
Activity: 1848
Merit: 1166
My AR-15 ID's itself as a toaster. Want breakfast?

Now that I am doing better day by day, I am trying to flip my mindset on not spending or selling any crypto;  do the long term hold.

I have actually relied on my crypto earnings for the last few years.  It literally kept me from being homeless and hungry for a legitimate year straight.
Damn so much for a stable BTC. We went right up against that downtrend and dumped hard.

I know many think charts/TA is voodoo but we're still right on track..

Activity: 1274
Merit: 556
I do agree that times have definitely been slow in the altcoin world;  mainly because of the overall market being where it has been, and the countless amounts of altcoins that keep getting introduced; as well as the fact that asics/FPGA's have always shown that they basically end up taking over the greater share of earnings and making the gpu's less profitable.....  but to everyone;  remember;  didn't this happen before?   How did we recuperate then?  How do you think it will play out this time?    I smell a similar ride.   The idea is to keep in touch with what actually becomes something;  and what is just there to try and pyramid yourself over someone else and sell off.
This, I think sums it up.
As the blockchain technology enters mainstream, the crypto aspect of it is slowly losing its appeal. Nobody needs a currency in a permissioned blockchain between a set of participants.

The only time crypto actually has a value is when you can use it for something and it inherently carries some sort of value. I completely agree with you about the 95% figure. Most cryptos out there are effectively worthless. Now is about picking the ones that really have something to add to the table.

I'm long BTC, XMR, ETN, RVN & XHV from mining and proceeds thereof, NPXS, BEAN and LINDA for staking. Building up a few BCI for the same reason. Long a bunch of HERO because it's one of the few 2017 ICOs that is regulated, unpretentious, has a real team, a real project and a real product behind it.

I'm hurting like everyone else.
Pages:
Jump to: