Pages:
Author

Topic: A sneak peak at the future of Bitcoin Cold Storage - page 2. (Read 13440 times)

Activity: 48
Merit: 0
I wonder, assuming someone else gets access to it.
Is the chip used to store the key temper resistant comparable with the hardware lever of security used for smart cards?

Yes and no. The chip is a standard NFC chip so technically depending how you encode it you COULD enforce smart card level security, but it's not really necessary for most users. It's more important to use it with Multi-Sig so that if someone gets ahold of one, they still don't have your bitcoin. You could make possession of all of the devices more difficult to use, if that was really your goal, but I had created the device with the idea that once you have all the devices it's easy to get your bitcoin in safe reliable way. People are better at protecting physical goods then they are digital- hiding something someplace secure or putting it in a vault is a more reliable and intuitive way of protecting something than encrypting it in fancy ways. The casual user is more likely to mess up the encryption part, not the putting it in their safe part.
its nice.. its sleek.. its pretty.. 

that said.  i printed out a paper wallet.. folded it several times and put in in an envelope.  i then sealed the envelope and signed across the flap.  i figure i'm just as secure with my coins as in this device.
That method doesn't use multi sig so no. It's not as safe as this device.

Think of it like this- I'm not advocating using only one method of cold storage. Indeed, I think people holding bitcoins today at $600 are crazy with only one Cold Storage method when perhaps in 10 years one bitcoin could be worth $100,000 or pie-in-the-sky Million. Who in their right mind would put 1 Million dollars in an envelop and sign across the flap? (You could steam that open WWII spy style no problem by the way).

But you're not crazy for doing it- it's smart, smart, smart. What I'm saying is that it's a little crazy to sleep well at night with ONLY your signature across the flap. I'm not sure how many bitcoins you have or what you think they will one day be worth, but security is about planning for as many possible scenarios as possible, and this product helps you to do that- with style. :-)

Here are more 5th version prototype images. The thing on the far right is the design for the internal capsule. Which I know is going to get a hell of a lot of 14 year old comments. :-) Like I said, it just happens to be the simplest secure shape. So, take that as you will. :-)

http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0505/3357/files/5th-Version_small_grande.jpg?286
Activity: 1
I wonder, assuming someone else gets access to it.
Is the chip used to store the key temper resistant comparable with the hardware lever of security used for smart cards?
Activity: 406
Merit: 250
Those do look fantastic. Beautiful and functional, like a good woman.  Grin
tss
Activity: 742
Merit: 500

that said.  i printed out a paper wallet.. folded it several times and put in in an envelope.  i then sealed the envelope and signed across the flap.  i figure i'm just as secure with my coins as in this device.

for multisig you need several devices stored at different locations.
i hope i can find a few envelopes

i will say it looks better in a safe than envelopes.
copper member
Activity: 3948
Merit: 2201
Verified awesomeness ✔

tss
Activity: 742
Merit: 500

I gave a short presentation of the device and showed around the 4th Generation prototype last night at a small Bitcoin Cocktail here in Milan, Italy. It went really well and had a chance to speak with a number of people doing some very interesting things in the Italian Bitcoin (and world) community. So, here's looking forward! :-)
legendary
Activity: 1078
Merit: 1001
Bitcoin is new, makes sense to hodl.
Activity: 196
Merit: 100
Beautiful as hell!!!  Grin

I want one!
New Prototypes are in! And they are starting to look even more beautiful. :-)

Discovered a few tensions issues with the glass though, so this won't be the final prototype as I originally hoped. On to version 6!

EDIT: Interesting thing we figured out: The KeyVaults *float* despite being made of metal and glass. Nice huh?
copper member
Activity: 3948
Merit: 2201
Verified awesomeness ✔
I suppose you don't HAVE to use the NFC chip, besides reading the initial hash of the internal decryption key that is stored on the NFC chip. I could for example perhaps send each device with the decryption hash written on a piece of paper (rather then stored already in NFC memory) under a hologram. Is that something you would be interested in? Using the device just as a protected password holder? 
Why not both? Or give someone the option to choose? I would choose for both.

Anyway, you have a great project going on and I have been following it for a while. Always has been on my watchlist, because I was to lazy to reply. I can't wait till the test run. I might even buy one if I have the BTC for it. Keep up the great work dude!
legendary
Activity: 1554
Merit: 1000
Oh, just came across this and thought of you!

https://www.aromatools.com/v/vspfiles/photos/DT520-3.jpg

If you could work out something similar as a storage container for the wallets...even cooler!

You know, you might have just solved my packaging problem. I've been thinking about the best way to package the device, and this might just be it. :-)

For storing my Casascius coins, they go in one of these..... http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lipo-Safe-Charging-Bag-Safety-Fireproof-Charging-Sack-/151300990888?pt=UK_ToysGames_RadioControlled_JN&hash=item233a3de7a8

Maybe you could hollow out some fire-proof foam to fit inside the bag.

Just a thought.
legendary
Activity: 1204
RUM AND CARROTS: A PIRATE LIFE FOR ME

If you could work out something similar as a storage container for the wallets...even cooler!

You know, you might have just solved my packaging problem. I've been thinking about the best way to package the device, and this might just be it. :-)
legendary
Activity: 1204
RUM AND CARROTS: A PIRATE LIFE FOR ME

Actually you can get small Peli cases like this, I already have one. It's small but it's too big for one device. Maybe for the kit of device in shipping it might be interesting, but it's not so cheap, but it's a good idea!

>>>>When are you looking to launch this?

Originally I had thought June, but now it's looking more like September to have everything put together properly.So start of the 3rd quarter. I might do a "Beta tester run" at reduced price to get feedback before then though, to see what the response it. But generally I'm looking at September. I will probably launch with a limited software support- a basic application that completes the basic features, as the device can be access and used by other NFC writing software. So Beta testers can see their own best way to use the device.

>>>>I'd like to see it in real world use without NFC, the rest of it is alright.

I suppose you don't HAVE to use the NFC chip, besides reading the initial hash of the internal decryption key that is stored on the NFC chip. I could for example perhaps send each device with the decryption hash written on a piece of paper (rather then stored already in NFC memory) under a hologram. Is that something you would be interested in? Using the device just as a protected password holder? 
Activity: 126
Merit: 101
Be Here Now

Activity: 31
When are you looking to launch this?
Activity: 75
Merit: 10
Vintage4X4
So, I've been working on this for awhile and I'm in the later (hopefully final) prototype stage of a new type of Cold Storage and Bitcoin Vault device. Like a physical bitcoin, but more of a personal vault. It is beautiful, solid, secure, wireless (NFC), durable, multi-sig compatible, very nearly counterfeit proof (The CIA can probably counterfeit anything), clone proof (again, the CIA probably could) and if all the kinks in the manufacturing process can be ironed out, provide a truly random source of entropy for creating secure bitcoin transactions. (Hopefully it will also be a little bit smaller)

So here's hoping. A lot of work has going into this baby, and I'm still not there yet but it's a work in progress.

Small gif, hopefully will have a new round of prototypes in a couple weeks. The light is the sun glinting off it- i can only wish it could make that light itself!

EDIT: And you don't have to trust the manufacturer to use it!

I'd like to see it in real world use without NFC, the rest of it is alright.

Activity: 126
Merit: 101
Be Here Now
Just for the record I wasn't seriously suggesting pleasure device shapes either way, that was horsing around...but the fork from there to various innocuous object shapes was more serious if you decide to expand down the road.
Pages:
Jump to: