Pages:
Author

Topic: A sneak peak at the future of Bitcoin Cold Storage - page 3. (Read 13440 times)

legendary
Activity: 1204
Merit: 1001
RUM AND CARROTS: A PIRATE LIFE FOR ME
You know, the shape might seem sexual, but functionally it's also the most secure shape. The fewer seems in the device, the more difficult it is for someone to find a way to open the device in a way you might not notice. This is the easiest method for being able to visually inspect the device.

Interesting. Never thought of it that way. Have you considered a hockey puck shape? A flat circle. Easy to pocket and likely will have few seams. Also you can lay it flat on a surface without it rolling about and potentially breaking.

I did consider the hockey puck shape, it really is a good idea and indeed one of the early prototype designs was exactly this sort of shape. The catch is that the physical process we use to weld the glass and thus create the unique "finger print" for each device is very, very difficult to build into a hockeypuck shape as we are limited with the diameter we can work with. Also, certain amounts of glass layers are needed to protect the NFC chip from the extreme heat of Glass welding. The Hockey Puck shape just didn't work out for these reasons. The idea is the same though- a cylinder of some sort. Once the final prototype is done though I will explain one thing that is very special about the glass in this device which would be hard to implement on the hockeypuck. :-)
legendary
Activity: 3612
Merit: 1564
You know, the shape might seem sexual, but functionally it's also the most secure shape. The fewer seems in the device, the more difficult it is for someone to find a way to open the device in a way you might not notice. This is the easiest method for being able to visually inspect the device.

Interesting. Never thought of it that way. Have you considered a hockey puck shape? A flat circle. Easy to pocket and likely will have few seams. Also you can lay it flat on a surface without it rolling about and potentially breaking.
legendary
As a side note- I have registered aeternum.in for bitcointalk. I'll confirm it via my crazy_rabbit account later in my signature. Just as a FYI.

As for the 'womens pleasure products' angle. It's not really something I'm going after as it's not really related at all. The final device will be smaller then this, so the resemblance might be less. (I hope) :-)

I can confirm. It's me. :-)
Activity: 48
Merit: 0
As a side note- I have registered aeternum.in for bitcointalk. I'll confirm it via my crazy_rabbit account later in my signature. Just as a FYI.

As for the 'womens pleasure products' angle. It's not really something I'm going after as it's not really related at all. The final device will be smaller then this, so the resemblance might be less. (I hope) :-)
Activity: 126
Merit: 101
Be Here Now
It's two things that women want: money and dick.

At the risk of taking this down a darker road - just an addition to the above, there are very sweet little vibrators shaped like a tube of lipstick. Any sort of camouflage style wallet, be it a vibrator, a tube of lipstick, or some other innocuous design similar to the way they're doing usb sticks (even saw a little rubber bracelet that's a usb stick) would be a good concealment for additional security of just being overlooked as a useless thing.

I like this prototype because they're shiny and cool and interesting looking...and while I'd totally support you and buy one eventually, I can see the theft value in it also - we love awesome sci fi shiny tech gadgets.

Just a consideration for future "expansion" maybe Smiley
Activity: 210
Merit: 100
It's two things that women want: money and dick.
Be Here Now
Discounted products? A smaller lite promotional version? Or early buyers?

Update though if you decide to go that direction.

Yeah, like does it come with free lube?

>>>Discounted products? A smaller lite promotional version? Or early buyers?

I might consider this for the first run for example, "beta testers" as you will. Or maybe if I go the crowdfunding route at the start, a discounted version for the crowdfunders/early buyers.

You could always take that unwitting correlation and run with it - call them vibrator wallets...and I guarantee you'll have added an additional layer of security because NOBODY is gonna touch somebody's vibrator  Grin
legendary
Activity: 1456
This is the land of wolves now & you're not a wolf
Nice work Smiley. The appearance is very futuristic. I can't quite think of what the look of it remind me of at the moment, but it looks really nice so far Smiley
legendary

>>>Discounted products? A smaller lite promotional version? Or early buyers?

I might consider this for the first run for example, "beta testers" as you will. Or maybe if I go the crowdfunding route at the start, a discounted version for the crowdfunders/early buyers.
legendary
Activity: 3612
Merit: 1564

Be Here Now

Activity: 75
Merit: 10
Sounds like a quality product, no doubt it would benefit Bitcoin market security and will add another dimension of security to people who are not confident about Bitcoin.

Good luck mate, for sure I will try it when it comes out
legendary
I'm sure someone's probably suggested it already but isn't there an option for you to set up a crowdfunding/kickstarter campaign to generate funds and wider interest?

PS those protos are awesome. I'm definitely watching the progress.

I've been thinking about this quite a bit. I'm very supportive of crowd funding, as I think it allows you to do some fantastic things, but it's a bit tricky at the same time. I've been talking with some mastercoin people about crowdfunding a-la MaidSafe with the mastercoin protocol. It seems more 'bitcoin' then doing a kickstarter after all, but what should I promise people in exchange? Devices? Shares in the company? Coupons redeemable at some future point? The bitcoin community can be very supportive, but I think people at this point will want to actually get something in return- it's hard to know what that should be.
Be Here Now
I'm sure someone's probably suggested it already but isn't there an option for you to set up a crowdfunding/kickstarter campaign to generate funds and wider interest?

PS those protos are awesome. I'm definitely watching the progress.
legendary
Small Update, still working on the prototype. I've decided to call the product a "KeyVault" and it's cryptoagnostic meaning it doesn't have to be for bitcoin. I envision it working with onename.io, mastercoin smart properties, bitcoin, bitmessage and many other crypto projects.  I have a new logo for the business as well- I hired the guy who made the "bitcoin logo" featured on Coindesk as I liked the look and wanted to hire a bitcoin fan. The company name is "Aeternum Cryptographic". :-)

legendary
Activity: 1008
Let the chips fall where they may.
I hope you made more than one copy of cold storage. For example of you made a paper Waller have a hand full of copies. Wouldn't want to find out your "secure" copy got destroyed.
Please read the thread. m-of-n keys are the key here. Can be done with a Pay to Script Hash
Activity: 124
Merit: 10
I hope you made more than one copy of cold storage. For example of you made a paper Waller have a hand full of copies. Wouldn't want to find out your "secure" copy got destroyed.
legendary
After having a look at the onename project,  https://onename.io/ I am thinking to define a NFC standard for working with cryptographic applications and NFC.

NFC uses NDEF standard, but I was thinking that for universal compatibility with devices that might not even be NFC related, it might be a good idea to developed a JSON style standard for saving data on NFC chips (Or 'mini' json standard to save space).

This would allow multipurpose use of the device I am developing but also maybe could standardize this sort of thing for other devices as well. For example, originally I was thinking to store bitcoin wallets on the device itself (ones with limited number of keys) however HD wallets are slowly becoming the norm, so it would be more practicle and space saving to only save the seed, which depending on the NFC chip could leave room for other things like a OneName seed as well.

Activity: 371
Merit: 250
You can't beat writing a novel in your head, memorizing it word for word, and using that as the seed for your brain wallet.

Many tend to try this

The first time I really read about crypto was a WWII novel called The Key to Rebecca when I was in my early teens. In that book, each of the parties had the same copy of a book called Rebecca and the code for each character in the encrypted message would list the page number, the line number and the letter. Horrible for a long message but not bad for a password. Impossible to break unless you knew the book. 
legendary
Many years ago I went to the Lalique factory in france. As others have pointed out, this is very pretty and some would want to show it off. In addition to an NFC model, you could also make an empty device which people could insert an encrypted paper wallet or small flash drive/chip into. They could then keep one or two backups in a safe place and one on display (empty or not) without having to worry too much if it gets stolen. That might also allow you to get off the ground quicker and get some income to keep developing the ultimate model. It may also give you access to a wider audience than just the BTC community.

As to the dildo comments, have you seen the number of womens' deodorant sticks that look phallic? That is definitely a marketing plus.

That's a very interesting idea- Although I'm not sure how you could insert anything into it. The design like this is supposed to be entirely sealed making it water proof, but also making it nearly impossible for anyone to access the inner contents without it being obvious to you. If there is a way to put something inside of it, then you can probably take something out as well, or stick a really small camera inside, you know?

Actually the NFC tech isn't the bottle neck for this project. The bottle neck is working the glass surprisingly enough, something we hope to have sorted out soon.

Also, you can always show one off without worry if you use it with multisig, or if you split your private key. But I see what you mean. :-)
Pages:
Jump to: