Pages:
Author

Topic: A Theory on what pirateat40 is doing - page 2. (Read 39920 times)

Activity: 168
Merit: 100
August 26, 2012, 08:33:30 PM
so, the super duper genius people who figured out what pirate does, maybe you can offer some insight

i don't understand why pirate wouldn't do forced withdrawals over time to wind things down, instead of continue the ponzi outline to a T

also, for someone who was so insistent on allowing immediate withdrawals, isn't it contradictory to suddenly hold everyone's coins hostage without notice?

vip
Activity: 574
Merit: 500
Don't send me a pm unless you gpg encrypt it.
August 26, 2012, 07:36:52 PM
so is it official yet? has anyone heard a peep from pirate since friday?

He's been in and out of IRC changing names between pirateat40 and steamship. It's bizarre really. When he's "steamship" he's been offering to buy pirate debt at reduced rates. No idea if he's serious.

That wasn't the real pirateat40. That pirateat40 (and steamship) did not have the OP prefix (@) in front of their nick. In addition, both @pirateat40 and pirateat40 were in the channel at the same time. It's likely he used an invisible character or typo to change his name to pirateat40. He was also clearly a troll. Can't believe everything you see, and then take it at face value.

You need to learn more about irc.  There cannot be two people with the same nick on the network.  He didn't have @ because it can be given/taken away like nothing.  As to the sarcasm from steamship.. that's true.  Many of the comments from steamship are actually things that were said on the forums by others first, with steamship repeating them and then getting quoted on it back on the forums again. 
donator
Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079
Gerald Davis
August 26, 2012, 07:32:30 PM
It makes *no* sense for him to buy Pirate debt. It costs him money. How would he get that money back? From himself?

Well that isn't exactly true.   

Person sells x BTC worth of debt.
Person creates uncertainty in the market and buys that debt back for y BTC.
Persons profits (x-y) BTC.

Not saying Pirate is doing that but there it isn't correct to say there is no sense in rebuying your own debt.
Activity: 826
Merit: 1000
August 26, 2012, 06:44:35 PM
I don't understand what you mean by selling his debt.

I can understand how he could buy it at a discount, which would equate to a partial discount. But selling it? Selling what? Huh
For the last several months, Pirate has likely been buying up Pirate debt. Why not? It's free for him. If he buys 1,000 BTC worth of Pirate debt, those 1,000 BTC just get deposited with him.

Now, Pirate debt is selling for around 50 cents on the dollar. Pirate knows that he's never going to pay his debt back. So he knows the debt is worthless. But he can sell that 1,000 BTC that he effectively paid nothing for and get an extra 500 BTC.

It makes *no* sense for him to buy Pirate debt. It costs him money. How would he get that money back? From himself?

But if he sells Pirate debt, he gets more of other people's money. And it perfectly explains why Pirate bought himself a week or two. This gives him lots of time to make more money by selling worthless debt.

If he IS planning on paying back lenders, buying back pirate debt with sock accounts would make sense.
Activity: 350
Merit: 250
August 26, 2012, 06:29:29 PM
Thou shalt henceforth be known as Conspiracy Katz.
legendary
Activity: 1596
Merit: 1012
Democracy is vulnerable to a 51% attack.
August 26, 2012, 06:04:21 PM

I can understand how he could buy it at a discount, which would equate to a partial discount. But selling it? Selling what? Huh
For the last several months, Pirate has likely been buying up Pirate debt. Why not? It's free for him. If he buys 1,000 BTC worth of Pirate debt, those 1,000 BTC just get deposited with him.

Now, Pirate debt is selling for around 50 cents on the dollar. Pirate knows that he's never going to pay his debt back. So he knows the debt is worthless. But he can sell that 1,000 BTC that he effectively paid nothing for and get an extra 500 BTC.

But if he sells Pirate debt, he gets more of other people's money. And it perfectly explains why Pirate bought himself a week or two. This gives him lots of time to make more money by selling worthless debt.
Activity: 496
Merit: 500
August 26, 2012, 09:09:37 AM

He's been in and out of IRC changing names between pirateat40 and steamship. It's bizarre really. When he's "steamship" he's been offering to buy pirate debt at reduced rates. No idea if he's serious.

Steamship? Hmm... was Titanic a steamship? Smiley
legendary
Activity: 1246
Merit: 1015
Strength in numbers
August 26, 2012, 06:10:30 AM
2) He's trying to cover the fact that he's actually *selling* Pirate debt.

Buying it would involve giving someone money.

Selling it would involve getting more money.

He's been selling Pirate IOUs all along. Maybe he's still selling them, I dunno. But he's not buying them, lol.
legendary
Activity: 1284
Merit: 1001
August 26, 2012, 05:26:13 AM
Lots of people are selling their pirate accounts at a discount. He probably has some fake accounts, and he could be selling them. That would also explain why he's still hanging around. If he didn't it would be pretty much impossible to sell them even at a discount.
Activity: 668
Merit: 501
August 26, 2012, 05:25:59 AM
But selling it? Selling what? Huh

One thing he can do now is create a new account in his DB assign a bazillion coins to it.
Then go here with a new sockpuppet account and state: "i want to get rid of this btcst account, someone buy it from me for 30%"

there he sold his own debt
Activity: 868
August 26, 2012, 05:18:05 AM

Activity: 868
August 26, 2012, 05:15:38 AM
Thats the plan baby Cheesy
legendary
Activity: 1316
Si vis pacem, para bellum
August 26, 2012, 02:39:08 AM

Activity: 826
August 26, 2012, 02:37:44 AM

That wasn't the real pirateat40. That pirateat40 (and steamship) did not have the OP prefix (@) in front of their nick. In addition, both @pirateat40 and pirateat40 were in the channel at the same time. It's likely he used an invisible character or typo to change his name to pirateat40. He was also clearly a troll. Can't believe everything you see, and then take it at face value.

Did you check the ident?
Activity: 265
Merit: 100
August 26, 2012, 02:28:18 AM

legendary
Activity: 4354
Merit: 3260
August 26, 2012, 01:44:44 AM
I think that the 500,000 BTC that people claim he has is gone -- used to pay out the 7% per week interest -- and he has nothing left. If he actually earns nothing from the deposits, then all the money is gone in only 3 months.
legendary
Activity: 1274
Merit: 1004
August 25, 2012, 11:22:58 PM

If that's true, there are two reasons he could be doing that.

1) He wants to make people think he's going to pay out.

If Pirate really was planning to run with everything, he could add a decent bonus to his earnings by starting to pay out some small accounts and then selling big "accounts" at a steep discount.

That being said, if Pirate really is going to pay everyone back, it would make sense for him to scoop up as much discounted debt as possible.
legendary
Activity: 1596
Merit: 1012
Democracy is vulnerable to a 51% attack.
August 25, 2012, 11:11:24 PM

If that's true, there are two reasons he could be doing that.

1) He wants to make people think he's going to pay out.

Activity: 27
Merit: 0
August 25, 2012, 10:56:00 PM

legendary
Activity: 817
August 25, 2012, 05:03:01 PM
Pages:
Jump to: