Pages:
Author

Topic: Acorn M.2 FPGA based GPU Accelerator - page 29. (Read 73496 times)

Activity: 251
Merit: 6
October 31, 2018, 02:20:58 PM
I wish credit card was accepted as a means of payment. Asking people to drop cash/crypto on a product that will supposedly ship at some point is asking a lot.

I'm trying to figure out what makes the most sense for me. I have a TB250 BTC Pro (11x 1x slots) with 6x 1080Ti and 4x 1070. I was considering putting the nest x4 with 4x cle-101's into the only x16 slot, but before dropping ~$1,000 I want to feel confident that this will "work" if I'm primarily mining eth.
Activity: 813
Merit: 65
October 31, 2018, 09:18:17 AM
fpga accelerated gpu mining seems like it may be a way out for those of us running gpus, especially older paid off gear that barely breaks even after power at the moment. only time (and shipping gear in the hands of regular miners) will tell of course. i figure its a decent bet. 50/50 maybe. well, in crypto 50/50 is pretty good odds anyway.

Best bet is to convert those GPUs into BTC and Hodl.

youre probably right. but i like tinkering with new hardware, so i will need my gpus for this fpga/gpu hybrid mining thing experiment. and im only a hobbyist miner.. right now just one rig, 8 cards. hardly worth selling off.

I hear ya, I used to buy shit just to tinker with it endlessly. Smiley

I think what he is saying is you can either continue to mine for a very slight profit indefinitely, or sell everything and buy & hodl bitcoin.

Its always a gamble but look at it this way.  If you sold everything and bought ETH right now, what are the chances of ETH being at $400 in 6 months?  No one can predict, but I personally think the chance would be good.  So then the question becomes, do you think you can mine twice the value of all of your equipment in 6 months?

It would make for an interesting comparison (and bet). Smiley
who bought at the time of ethereum to 1000 dollars have now lost everything. Who mined, have now the miner
...and the electricity bill !
yes but over the electricity bill you have the mined i think...
Activity: 208
Merit: 3
October 31, 2018, 04:51:21 AM
fpga accelerated gpu mining seems like it may be a way out for those of us running gpus, especially older paid off gear that barely breaks even after power at the moment. only time (and shipping gear in the hands of regular miners) will tell of course. i figure its a decent bet. 50/50 maybe. well, in crypto 50/50 is pretty good odds anyway.

youre probably right. but i like tinkering with new hardware, so i will need my gpus for this fpga/gpu hybrid mining thing experiment. and im only a hobbyist miner.. right now just one rig, 8 cards. hardly worth selling off.

I think what he is saying is you can either continue to mine for a very slight profit indefinitely, or sell everything and buy & hodl bitcoin.

Its always a gamble but look at it this way.  If you sold everything and bought ETH right now, what are the chances of ETH being at $400 in 6 months?  No one can predict, but I personally think the chance would be good.  So then the question becomes, do you think you can mine twice the value of all of your equipment in 6 months?

who bought at the time of ethereum to 1000 dollars have now lost everything. Who mined, have now the miner
...and the electricity bill !
Activity: 813
Merit: 65
October 31, 2018, 03:04:41 AM

legendary
Activity: 3836
Merit: 4969
Doomed to see the future and unable to prevent it
October 30, 2018, 04:14:02 PM

legendary
Activity: 4354
Merit: 3614
what is this "brake pedal" you speak of?
October 30, 2018, 11:47:07 AM

Activity: 1179
Merit: 131
October 30, 2018, 01:35:58 AM
I will buy the 2 nest with 2 acorn 215+  if you don't want it.  Assuming it works and runs okay.

if i decide to sell youll get 1st dibs. but honestly im into the fpga thing more for education than expected profit. although that sure would be nice.

Yeah I cut all my Mining down a lot.

12 x 1080tis vs 40
And 4 Vegas 56s

1 m10
3 s9is
1 l3+

That is a total of well under 10kwatts.

I spend 1/3 the kwatts I did last fall.

wow thats a big drop from what i remember you running.

ive been coasting along with the same gear for around a year now. with the bear market asics and gpu seem to be a dead end at the moment as far as buying new gear with an expectation of any decent roi timeframe. guess we got spoiled in the past bull runs with 3 month rois.

No as I just explained they will always profit due to my power deals.

legendary
October 29, 2018, 10:35:15 PM
I will buy the 2 nest with 2 acorn 215+  if you don't want it.  Assuming it works and runs okay.

if i decide to sell youll get 1st dibs. but honestly im into the fpga thing more for education than expected profit. although that sure would be nice.

12 x 1080tis vs 40
And 4 Vegas 56s

1 m10
3 s9is
1 l3+

ive been coasting along with the same gear for around a year now. with the bear market asics and gpu seem to be a dead end at the moment as far as buying new gear with an expectation of any decent roi timeframe. guess we got spoiled in the past bull runs with 3 month rois.

I did not say that to you, but we can make a side bet if you want on who is correct.
legendary
Activity: 4256
Merit: 8551
'The right to privacy matters'
October 29, 2018, 10:06:04 PM
I will buy the 2 nest with 2 acorn 215+  if you don't want it.  Assuming it works and runs okay.

12 x 1080tis vs 40
And 4 Vegas 56s

1 m10
3 s9is
1 l3+

legendary
October 29, 2018, 10:04:52 PM
I will buy the 2 nest with 2 acorn 215+  if you don't want it.  Assuming it works and runs okay.

12 x 1080tis vs 40
And 4 Vegas 56s

1 m10
3 s9is
1 l3+

Yeah my cheap power did not grow a lot.

I was able to get 4kwatts for 130 a month. That is about 4.2 cents a kwatt.

I have six 1080tis at 50-50 coin split.  Which is 3 free 1080tis.

I have a m10 at a 50-50 spilt which is 17th free.

I have 2 l3+ at a 50-50 split which is 1 free. L3+.

That is my cheap power.

All other power is 13 cents before heat which comes to 10 cents.  But 10 cents is not a lot of margin.

I could burn a lot more power if profit was there.  But profit at 10-13 cents is next to nothing.
Activity: 489
Merit: 253
October 29, 2018, 09:59:31 PM
The last refunds should occur today apparently, anyone been refunded today yet?
legendary
October 29, 2018, 09:55:36 PM

12 x 1080tis vs 40
And 4 Vegas 56s

1 m10
3 s9is
1 l3+

Activity: 132
Merit: 10
October 29, 2018, 09:09:23 PM

Anyone still remember butterfly lab? they mine first before theysent to customers  Smiley

Of course they are doing that! ..people are sooooo innocent  Roll Eyes
legendary
October 29, 2018, 11:18:15 AM

12 x 1080tis vs 40
And 4 Vegas 56s

1 m10
3 s9is
1 l3+

Activity: 475
Merit: 265
Ooh La La, C'est Zoom!
October 29, 2018, 01:29:14 AM
why does the nest2 have 4 USB ports and the nest4 does not?

http://squirrelsresearch.com/acorn-nest-x2g/

AcornNest X2G allows you to host two Acorn units in any PCIe 2.0 or greater x8 or x16 slot and provides four USB PCIe riser connections for accelerated GPUs without any special motherboard requirements.
versus

http://squirrelsresearch.com/acorn-nest-x4/

AcornNest X4 allows you to host four Acorn units in a PCIe 2.0/3.0 x16 or PCIe 3.0 x8 slot without any special motherboard requirements.

It includes an onboard DMA engine to reduce CPU load, as well as advanced Acorn power utilization and performance monitoring.

That doesn’t answer the question of WHY. It says that the 2x has USB ports. And doesn’t say anything about the 4x lacking them. Why does one have it and the other does not? What was the reason for not including them on the 4x? Why are they necessary at all?

The USB ports are not actually USB, they are PCIE so you can plug in PCIE risers.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B076KLJR2Y/ref=psdc_3015403011_t1_B01N3UVJHM
legendary
October 28, 2018, 09:37:09 PM

I really like that I will let someone else test it out.

yeah im gonna be one of those guys.

12 x 1080tis vs 40
And 4 Vegas 56s

1 m10
3 s9is
1 l3+

legendary
October 28, 2018, 07:56:32 PM

Activity: 173
Merit: 2
October 28, 2018, 03:09:00 PM
I've played the waiting game on a few next gen items from small manufacturers. Heck I was even one of the small companies once. Delays happen, orders and their changes can over whelm a work load. It's a common thing.  Back in the early 3D printer days the Replicator 1 had a six month delay and the unit ran like crap upon arrival. But with the community doing and sharing mods it's been a multiple ROI machine for me.

Any new edge tech has risk. The do diligents research for the Acorns and the BCU was simple enough I thought. I jumped in with non essential money fully expecting delays because there are way to many things happening for a smooth time line transition. I also have a good feeling the FPGA thing in general will mature nicely so I'm not expect killer returns straight out the gate.  I'd much rather have a late delivered product that works than a unit I need to return do to a manufacturing flaw that was later fixed.

I thing I am disappointing in is the banter within both this forum and the fpga related discord groups. Oh well, dealing with an entitlement based irrational public is why I retired. Thankfully some out there still step up and push forward with a challenging product. That kind of dedication and talent I admire and that's why I opened my wallet.

Entitled. Hardly.  I know you grew up in a time where a family could be raised with one parent working. Guess what retirements failed money schemes etc is by the baby boomer generation is what has this world up in a tizzy. Bankers have more schemes up their sleaves than one can count.  How about the fact that the poorer you are the more they take from you.  Entitled. Yea that triggers me. How about we yank that retirement you think you earned off the backs of stocks that took from someone that had to have lost.  Your gain in retirement has to be someone loss.  Unless one prints money out of thin air.  Anyway I won’t rant on too long.  Had this company provided proper knowledfe of what was going on instead of going quiet then this would have had a whole entirely better outcome.  People in crypto are down right sick and tired of being screwed over. Whether it’s buying during the run up or mining or just being taken for a ride. Those that got really screwed don’t tend to speak up as they don’t want to be embarrassed. .   Remember as the saying goes walk a mile in someone else’s shoes. Or in other words had you lived their exact life you would act very similar. Be happy you have enough money to invest more than you can afford to lose life has been good to.  

BR

I have to say that I agree with your "rant". I have been in this space only since the beginning of 2017 but I have seen enough. I am particularly upset about companies, banks and other institutions that were making fun of crypto, trying now to co-opt it and use to their benefit. Small players might have had good time in the end of 2017 (perhaps, very beginning of 2018) but have been generally screwed.
legendary
October 28, 2018, 02:44:33 PM
The 2 acorn  is better  for some boards

the 4 acorn is better for others.

[...]

I would complain  that  the real problem  done with the entire acorn project  was that  they did not build a few dozen  acorns  and give demos of their uses

I did not know whether to buy a 2 acorn nest or a 4 acorn nest.

agreed. the difference was initially not readily available or at least i didnt look hard enough when i ordered a 2x nest (the only nest available at that time) along with two 215+.

i have the onda b8p (think thats the model, 8 physical 16x slots). the 1st slot can do 16x electrical, the others are 1x electrical. when i ordered only the 2x nest was available. but if it only connects to cards via usb riser the whole point of my onda board (which is to go riserless) is useless.

so i just now ordered a 4x nest which will keep my onda rig riserless if it communicates via pcie. thats IF it fits into the first slot without blocking the ATX power connector, the onda needs a fairly short card in that 1st slot.

so. depending in the length i may need to put the 4x nest on a 16x riser to clear the ATX connector.

heh. well one way or another i will eventually use both nests as i have my old mining board (gigabyte z170) which was going to run the bcu1525 alone, it may now run the bcu along with a couple vga cards.

legendary
October 28, 2018, 02:16:54 PM
The 2 acorn  is better  for some boards

the 4 acorn is better for others.

[...]

I would complain  that  the real problem  done with the entire acorn project  was that  they did not build a few dozen  acorns  and give demos of their uses

I did not know whether to buy a 2 acorn nest or a 4 acorn nest.

agreed. the difference was initially not readily available or at least i didnt look hard enough when i ordered a 2x nest (the only nest available at that time) along with two 215+.

i have the onda b8p (think thats the model, 8 physical 16x slots). the 1st slot can do 16x electrical, the others are 1x electrical. when i ordered only the 2x nest was available. but if it only connects to cards via usb riser the whole point of my onda board (which is to go riserless) is useless.

so i just now ordered a 4x nest which will keep my onda rig riserless if it communicates via pcie. thats IF it fits into the first slot without blocking the ATX power connector, the onda needs a fairly short card in that 1st slot.

so. depending in the length i may need to put the 4x nest on a 16x riser to clear the ATX connector. but at least only one card will be on a riser. instead of 2 or 4 or whatever vga cards.

heh. well one way or another i will eventually use both nests as i have my old mining board (gigabyte z170) which was going to run the bcu1525 alone, it may now run the bcu along with a couple vga cards.

Pages:
Jump to: