Pages:
Author

Topic: Acorn M.2 FPGA based GPU Accelerator - page 27. (Read 73496 times)

Activity: 1120
Merit: 131
November 09, 2018, 12:00:01 PM
My bank card I mean visa / mastercard.

Wire transfer between EU and US is more and more a pain in the ass due to over regulation.

I don't spend crypto to buy stuff, I do FIAT -> Crypto for investment purposes.
Activity: 28
Merit: 1
November 09, 2018, 10:50:50 AM
Still no bankcard payment on mineority, I'll have to pass.
Wouldn't a general purpose "Bank" card be just an ATM card?  Those are hardly offered as accepted online payments.
I rarely ask for those cards since you can only use them at mainly brick and mortars checking out and supplying your PIN number at purchase.

You should be able to electronically transfer money to Mineority for payment from your Bank's online account services.
Activity: 246
Merit: 24
November 09, 2018, 09:00:46 AM
Just received an Email about refunding my ETC I paid with for the Acorns. I was really excited to see something like this but now that it's 3+ ? months behind with very little communication unless you browse the bitcoin.talk forums or discord.
Activity: 1120
Merit: 131
November 09, 2018, 01:52:42 AM
Still no bankcard payment on mineority, I'll have to pass.
Activity: 338
Merit: 251
November 09, 2018, 12:03:26 AM
I've been watching the Acorn thread here and on Discord and I do not recall any talk about verthash at all.

No, they never explicitly mentioned Verthash by name but they implied it. This was by stating that the benefit of buying an Acorn was that it could follow algorithm changes. That it was not some ASIC that would be stuck. VTC was the algo out of all that were listed to work that had any plans to change so I figured they were going to release new mining code optimized for it. We will see when Verthash is available what they have to say. If I can't mine VTC with it, Im out.

I know I am not alone expecting this. Almost all the GPU miners I know mined VTC until recently and are waiting for the Verthash fork to come back to it.

VTC will probably once again soon be the most profitable GPU coin to mine now that Nicehash will be nerfed. And it will be very, very ASIC resistant again.
Activity: 475
Merit: 265
Ooh La La, C'est Zoom!
November 08, 2018, 11:31:25 PM
Im still waiting on someone to actually test one of these before I buy one. More specifically I want to see how it runs on the new Verthash. Or if they even update their proprietary software to mine Verthash in a timely fashion. It was pretty disappointing to see that they only have a few algorithms running on it so far.

Basically the only reason for me to buy one of these was to mine Vertcoin. Ive been on it since day one and I'm looking forward to the move to Verthash more than I can say. It's the only coin I mine so until these units show they can help me mine VTC, as promised, Im out.

That being said. If they do ship these and they work as intended with Verthash support, Ill buy plenty of them. Plenty.

But first I'll need some solid benchmark proof. On Verthash. When/if its ever supported on their miner.

I've been watching the Acorn thread here and on Discord and I do not recall any talk about verthash at all.
Activity: 338
Merit: 251
November 08, 2018, 03:14:23 PM
Im still waiting on someone to actually test one of these before I buy one. More specifically I want to see how it runs on the new Verthash. Or if they even update their proprietary software to mine Verthash in a timely fashion. It was pretty disappointing to see that they only have a few algorithms running on it so far.

Basically the only reason for me to buy one of these was to mine Vertcoin. Ive been on it since day one and I'm looking forward to the move to Verthash more than I can say. It's the only coin I mine so until these units show they can help me mine VTC, as promised, Im out.

That being said. If they do ship these and they work as intended with Verthash support, Ill buy plenty of them. Plenty.

But first I'll need some solid benchmark proof. On Verthash. When/if its ever supported on their miner.
Activity: 94
November 08, 2018, 02:50:53 PM
How many USB ports you have on you mobo doesn't mean anything in the context of Nests an Acorns.
Except when you have a mining mobo with USB connectors instead of 1xPCIE slots Wink

When in history were Mining GPUs connected to a real USB (x2 x3) connector (ignore eGPU through Thunderbolt)?   Roll Eyes
Activity: 28
November 08, 2018, 01:57:11 PM
Product was supposedly shipped on Monday. Anyone received anything?
ACORNS have not been shipped yet.
Activity: 251
Merit: 6
November 08, 2018, 11:51:54 AM
Product was supposedly shipped on Monday. Anyone received anything?
Activity: 475
Merit: 265
Ooh La La, C'est Zoom!
November 08, 2018, 02:05:36 AM
so nest egg 2 with 2 acorns 215+ right.

now do i need to use the usb ports on it?? is that the purpose. to not use the 1x risers and just plug right into the usb vs the 1x adapter?

or am i missing it. cause honestly this whole thing is very very very.......... something Smiley..

but as a serious buyer i need a lil guiding light if u can shine on how i would go about setting it up.

no I think  you are in need of 1

4 card with 4 acorns

your board has tons of usb ports.

you have no need of   more of them

and I believe  that you board has a full slot that is 16x  so it can handle  4 acorns fully  and spread their power to all the usb jacks your board has.

But I could be wrong  so you may want to wait.

Now While I am pretty sure I am right about that board let me link the board.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA2W06P37326

so is this your board?

http://www.biostar-usa.com/app/en%2Dus/mb/introduction.php?S_ID=884#specification

a 4 card  should be better with that board.  but I could be wrong as I often am.

What? That's not right. (the line in bold above, re: the USB ports)

The USB ports on the Next X2G are not actually USB, but rather PCIEx1 that just happen to use USB cables to connect to normal USB-type riser cards. Think of the USB ports on the Nest like they are USB ports on PCIEx1 adapters for risers.

Take a look at this image:

The USB ports on the Nest X2G are like the port that is circled in red.

The whole idea of the Nest X2g is to use the two Acorns to accelerate GPUs on risers plugged into the ports on the next without having to eat up PCIE slots on the mobo. How many USB ports you have on you mobo doesn't mean anything in the context of Nests an Acorns.

legendary
Activity: 4256
Merit: 8551
'The right to privacy matters'
November 07, 2018, 10:31:00 PM

now do i need to use the usb ports on it?? is that the purpose. to not use the 1x risers and just plug right into the usb vs the 1x adapter?

or am i missing it. cause honestly this whole thing is very very very.......... something Smiley..

but as a serious buyer i need a lil guiding light if u can shine on how i would go about setting it up.

no I think  you are in need of 1

4 card with 4 acorns

your board has tons of usb ports.

you have no need of   more of them

and I believe  that you board has a full slot that is 16x  so it can handle  4 acorns fully  and spread their power to all the usb jacks your board has.

But I could be wrong  so you may want to wait.

Now While I am pretty sure I am right about that board let me link the board.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA2W06P37326

so is this your board?

http://www.biostar-usa.com/app/en%2Dus/mb/introduction.php?S_ID=884#specification

a 4 card  should be better with that board.  but I could be wrong as I often am.
legendary
Activity: 3836
Merit: 4969
Doomed to see the future and unable to prevent it
November 07, 2018, 05:51:41 PM
My understanding is that the X2 and X4 nests serve the same basic function, i.e. hosting multiple Acorns on a single x8/x16 PCIe. So I don't understand why the X2 has USB connectors but the X4 doesn't. Wouldn't it be just as helpful to connect your X4 nest via 4x USBs as it would for the X2?

They don’t serve the same function.

The 2 card works well with boards that don’t have lots of USB ports.

The four card is designed for boards that have lots of ports.

The 2 card is really good for threadripper boards which are short ports.

The four card is good for 1 full slot board with 13 ports.

I have a threadripper 1920 board it can do only five cards.

Add 1 two port jumps me to eight cards.
Add 2 two port jumps me to eleven cards.

And the four port does not help with this board.

I guess if you have a threadripper and the four card added lots of ports you may want it over the two port.
So I can see you complaint.

This makes no sense to me. How is the number of USB ports on the mobo relevant? I thought this was all about pcie lanes and x8/x16 connections.

Yah I don't think it has anything to do with usb ports on the mobo.  As mentioned higher, I'm sure the reason is due to the increased cost of shoving 4 m.2 ports and 4 usb ports on the same card!

Yes, I believe they are referring to the cost of the controller chip that provides the interface of the m.2 ports and usb. Usually a newer chip with higher functionality has a higher cost, that will come down shortly I'm sure.
Activity: 106
Merit: 0
November 07, 2018, 04:15:55 PM

November 07, 2018, 04:13:04 PM
i got a few biostar tb250 mobos.

most are running on 3 1080ti's.

what would be best. use the 16X pci express with a nest egg 2 or 4?

i don't intend to add more video cards as im running 1k watt psu's.

my cases and infrastructure does not permit more gpus per case cause i simple do not want more. would require redesigning my current situation. and i see no need to do that but i feel this tech is super awsome and want to integrate it into my current stuff.

now i know we all still waiting on info thats much awaited. but if it seems so good to be true. which would be preferred for my setup.

any help would be greatly appreciated.

My understanding is that, if you want to use the Acorns to boost your gpus, you should get the Nest X2 because of the limited pcie bandwidth available to the x1 gpus.
Activity: 106
Merit: 0
November 07, 2018, 04:08:05 PM
i got a few biostar tb250 mobos.

most are running on 3 1080ti's.

what would be best. use the 16X pci express with a nest egg 2 or 4?

i don't intend to add more video cards as im running 1k watt psu's.

my cases and infrastructure does not permit more gpus per case cause i simple do not want more. would require redesigning my current situation. and i see no need to do that but i feel this tech is super awsome and want to integrate it into my current stuff.

now i know we all still waiting on info thats much awaited. but if it seems so good to be true. which would be preferred for my setup.

any help would be greatly appreciated.

legendary
Activity: 4354
Merit: 3614
what is this "brake pedal" you speak of?
November 07, 2018, 01:13:00 PM
the 2x nest (which has 2 USB connectors but they are really just a PCIe lane that uses a USB cable to be compliant with existing USB risers) is good for boards with a limited number of usable PCIe slots.. as you can add cards on USB risers.

the 4x nest is good for boards that already have a lot of usable PCIe slots. it communicates with the cards via the PCIe bus.

TY this makes sense. It seems backward though. If I need to cram 4 acorns onto a single x16, chances are I don't have a lot of alternative ways to connect Acorns and thus would benefit by connecting gpus directly to the acorns instead of communicating through the PCIe bus (which may cause bandwidth bottlenecks).

yeah if youre short pcie slots a nest2x with usb gains you one 3 more card as it uses one pcie slot itself.

a nest4x with usb would be even better, as you would gain 3 cards.

so maybe a nest2x w/usb, nest4x w/usb, nest4x no usb would make a nice product lineup?

EDIT: corrected the number of cards a nest2x supports
November 07, 2018, 10:01:28 AM
Will these work with 2070/2080/2080Ti?
November 06, 2018, 03:37:45 PM

I guess if you have a threadripper and the four card added lots of ports you may want it over the two port.

This makes no sense to me. How is the number of USB ports on the mobo relevant? I thought this was all about pcie lanes and x8/x16 connections.

he is referring to USB risers and PCIe slots. USB risers just uses a USB cable for signal carrying.

the 2x nest (which has 2 USB connectors but they are really just a PCIe lane that uses a USB cable to be compliant with existing USB risers) is good for boards with a limited number of usable PCIe slots.. as you can add cards on USB risers.

the 4x nest is good for boards that already have a lot of usable PCIe slots. it communicates with the cards via the PCIe bus.

TY this makes sense. It seems backward though. If I need to cram 4 acorns onto a single x16, chances are I don't have a lot of alternative ways to connect Acorns and thus would benefit by connecting gpus directly to the acorns instead of communicating through the PCIe bus (which may cause bandwidth bottlenecks).
legendary
Activity: 4354
Merit: 3614
what is this "brake pedal" you speak of?
November 06, 2018, 03:14:55 PM

he is referring to USB risers and PCIe slots. USB risers just uses a USB cable for signal carrying.

the 2x nest (which has 2  4 USB connectors but they are really just a PCIe lane that uses a USB cable to be compliant with existing USB risers) is good for boards with a limited number of usable PCIe slots.. as you can add cards on USB risers.

EDIT: nest x2g has 4, not 2 usb connectors
Pages:
Jump to: