Pages:
Author

Topic: AirGap wallet- Self custody made simple and secure - Protect your crypto offline - page 3. (Read 2537 times)

Activity: 108
Merit: 15
This splitting of seed phrase words into multiple parts sounds a lot like Shamir Secret Sharing,

That's exactly what it is.

you are not really eliminating single point of failure like you said in your video.

Having only the seed phrase is a single point of failure. Introducing a mechanism to recover the wallet even if you lose the seed phrase eliminates this

Other dangers of using something like this is that there is no standardized implementation for this method,

In the future, we will be implementing something more standardized like SSKR and Seed XOR.

I would like to see some documentation for your Social Recovery feature.

https://support.airgap.it/features/social-recovery/

So I'm guessing that being an offline wallet, it can't send transactions by itself, only generate them. So how does the "pairing" with the other wallet software work for broadcasting such a transaction?

The AirGap Vault signs a transaction and provides a QR code for the signed transaction. The wallet to which it is paired (e.g AirGap Wallet, Metamask, Sparrow, Spectre, Rabby) scans the QR code and broadcasts the transaction.

[moderator's note: consecutive posts merged]
legendary
Activity: 1568
Merit: 6660
bitcoincleanup.com / bitmixlist.org
So I'm guessing that being an offline wallet, it can't send transactions by itself, only generate them. So how does the "pairing" with the other wallet software work for broadcasting such a transaction?

Is it entirely automated, or does a user have to manually go to the other wallet software for broadcasting stuff?
legendary
Activity: 2212
Merit: 7064
Cashback 15%
Learn about AirGap social recovery feature
This splitting of seed phrase words into multiple parts sounds a lot like Shamir Secret Sharing, but you are not really eliminating single point of failure like you said in your video.
Other dangers of using something like this is that there is no standardized implementation for this method, math can't be verified by different participants.
It's much better to use regular Multisig solution that is proved and tested for years, but I would like to see some documentation for your Social Recovery feature.
We use BC-UR QR code standard and electrum doesn't support it.
All this different QR standards are just making more confusion and regular people don't really care about them.
How hard is to make it compatible with this BC-UR QR code standard along with others you support currently?
I am sure you could create some conversion process for compatibility, and I have seen other wallets and signing devices doing the same.

I'm not a developer, so I can't say how hard it is to implement, but from what I can see from our previous implementations, I assume it's a pretty complex process. AirGap already supports BC-UR and that is pretty much the standard for signing BTC transactions. So if in the future, Electrum implements this, we will automatically become compatible. If you have some experience implementing QR codes, you could make a pull request on our GitHub.
legendary
Cashback 15%
All this different QR standards are just making more confusion and regular people don't really care about them.
How hard is to make it compatible with this BC-UR QR code standard along with others you support currently?
I am sure you could create some conversion process for compatibility, and I have seen other wallets and signing devices doing the same.
I would suggest adding Vault app to open source android stores like Fdroid or IzzyOnDroid.

There were some build issues that we were unable to resolve, mostly because of time constraints, so the issue was closed. https://gitlab.com/fdroid/rfp/-/issues/1479

We'd still like to have AirGap on f-droid, so we'd appreciate any help there.
is Sparrow wallet, Blue wallet and Specter wallet only supported Bitcoin wallets, and there is no support for Electrum?

Yes, Sparrow, Blue Wallet, and Specter are Bitcoin wallets. We do not support Electrum for now.

I have one old-new smartphone and I was thinking of testing it with AirGap.
My question is, do I have to disable all internet connection, wifi, remove sim cards, when using this mobile with AirGap wallet?

This is only necessary for the device with the vault. The Wallet is meant to be on an everyday device with a network.
Activity: 882
Merit: 5814
not your keys, not your coins!
The vault has in the meantime become compatible with all of the mentioned wallets expect Electrum. It's either the next one on their to-do list or they are struggling with making it work and have given up on the idea of making a connection with Electrum.
That would be odd, since wallets are often based on Electrum, such as using the same derivation path, QR codes, creating the same type of signatures and following other standards that have all been set by Electrum.

legendary
Activity: 2730
Merit: 7065
Farewell, Leo. You will be missed!
I am not so much interested in metamask, but is Sparrow wallet, Blue wallet and Specter wallet only supported Bitcoin wallets, and there is no support for Electrum?
This is one of the most popular bitcoin wallets and there is both desktop and mobile version available.
It's been two years since they announced that AirGap Vault is considering adding support for Electrum, Wasabi, Blue Wallet, and Specter. The vault has in the meantime become compatible with all of the mentioned wallets expect Electrum. It's either the next one on their to-do list or they are struggling with making it work and have given up on the idea of making a connection with Electrum.
legendary
Cashback 15%
AirGap Vault is interoperable with these wallets
I am not so much interested in metamask, but is Sparrow wallet, Blue wallet and Specter wallet only supported Bitcoin wallets, and there is no support for Electrum?
This is one of the most popular bitcoin wallets and there is both desktop and mobile version available.

I have one old-new smartphone and I was thinking of testing it with AirGap.
My question is, do I have to disable all internet connection, wifi, remove sim cards, when using this mobile with AirGap wallet?
I didn't saw any explanation about this in step by step guide.

PS
I would suggest adding Vault app to open source android stores like Fdroid or IzzyOnDroid.
Pages:
Jump to: