Pages:
Author

Topic: AirGap wallet- Self custody made simple and secure - Protect your crypto offline - page 5. (Read 2541 times)

Activity: 108
Merit: 15
I understand that both Trezor and Keystone are using Shamir scheme that is connected with SLIP-39, but I could always recover this if I lose one of the wallets, or one of them stop productions and shuts down servers.
What happens if Airgap wensite or app is down and servers gone?
I think that compatibility with other wallets is extremely important for something like this.

AirGap Vault does not connect to any servers, ever. So there is nothing we can shut down from our side that would stop the app from working. The code of our shamir implementation is open source, so even if we take down our website and github, the code will still be available in forked repositories. If you are concerned about this, you can also create a local copy of the entire source code.

We agree that standards should be used whenever possible, but our implementation pre-dates the final SLIP-39 standard. At the time, there was no standard available. Today, because of the SLIP-39 shortcomings, we are planning to use SSKR, which was introduced by blockchain commons and will hopefully be the new standard going forward and replace SLIP-39 in the long run.
legendary
Activity: 2212
Merit: 7064
Cashback 15%
Trezor and Keystone use SLIP-39. The disadvantage of this scheme is that it is not compatible with BIP-39, so it is not possible to have a "single mnemonic representation" of a SLIP-39 secret. Our shamir shares are compatible with BIP-39, so it is possible to have both a single mnemonic and shamir shares. In the near future we are planning to use the SSKR standard, which is inspired by SLIP-39, but adds BIP-39 compatibiltiy: https://github.com/BlockchainCommons/Research/blob/master/papers/bcr-2020-011-sskr.md
I understand that both Trezor and Keystone are using Shamir scheme that is connected with SLIP-39, but I could always recover this if I lose one of the wallets, or one of them stop productions and shuts down servers.
What happens if Airgap wensite or app is down and servers gone?
I think that compatibility with other wallets is extremely important for something like this.

Unfortunately,  we only support android v5 and above.
This means that in future even Android version 5 won't be supported with new updates, so I would have to use some new phone device, and I don't like this.
I do understand there are some limitations with writing code for older versions, but newer phones have their own disadvantages.
Hey, Thanks for the feedback.

I see that Shamir Shares are available in AirGap wallet, but is this compatible with Trezor and Keystone Shamir scheme?

No

Trezor and Keystone use SLIP-39. The disadvantage of this scheme is that it is not compatible with BIP-39, so it is not possible to have a "single mnemonic representation" of a SLIP-39 secret. Our shamir shares are compatible with BIP-39, so it is possible to have both a single mnemonic and shamir shares. In the near future we are planning to use the SSKR standard, which is inspired by SLIP-39, but adds BIP-39 compatibiltiy: https://github.com/BlockchainCommons/Research/blob/master/papers/bcr-2020-011-sskr.md

legendary
Activity: 2968
Merit: 3406
Crypto Swap Exchange
I didn't know that Airgap web version exists, but I see that it is somehow connected with ledger hardware wallet, that defeats the purpose of using Airgap wallet.
You're right [not sure how I missed that part when I posted that link the other day], but I don't think that completely defeats the purpose of using the AirGap Wallet, since you still have the option to "sign the transaction with the AirGap Vault app [from an offline device]"!
legendary
Cashback 15%
Both of them [wallet and vault], support Android Lollipop [5.0] and up.
Old device I have is before Android 5 Lollipop version, I think it's something like 4.4 and it can't be upgraded anymore or flashed with different operating system.

I didn't know that Airgap web version exists, but I see that it is somehow connected with ledger hardware wallet, that defeats the purpose of using Airgap wallet.
legendary
Activity: 2968
Merit: 3406
Crypto Swap Exchange
I don't know what oldest Android OS is supported by AirGap,
Both of them [wallet and vault], support Android Lollipop [5.0] and up.

I can't install and test AirGap on my android phone with older Android OS version Tongue
If "only" one of your phones is suffering from an old Android version, you can try the "web version" as well.

You may want to update your discord link on that medium article, it's showing Invalid Invite error message.
The same goes for the other discord link in OP!
- For those that are interested to join, "this link" works [screenshot].
legendary
Cashback 15%
I see that Shamir Shares are available in AirGap wallet, but is this compatible with Trezor and Keystone Shamir scheme?
Big disadvantage for AirGap is that you don't support multisig, but I see that it's coming soon.
One more problem I see with AirGap is Android OS and all various versions and stores, I don't know what oldest Android OS is supported by AirGap, but it is limited with that.
I can't install and test AirGap on my android phone with older Android OS version Tongue

PS
You may want to update your discord link on that medium article, it's showing Invalid Invite error message.
just had a quick glance at your most recent article about keeping your seed safe. Among the recommendations, you mention that one should be careful not to write down their seed in a place that has cameras and microphones. It makes sense paying attention to cameras, but what about microphones? Do you know of an instance where a microphone (more precisely a maliciously configured microphone) was able to capture sensitive data such as recovery phrases, and how exactly? The only thing I can think of is being recorded if you are saying the seed words out loud.

Here is what was written

When backing up your mnemonics, be mindful of any equipment in your immediate vicinity that may be recording your actions, such as a microphone...

People back up their seed phrases in different ways. One of which is memorizing them. In this process, people tend to recite these words so they can stick to their memory. Such a case is an instance where one needs to be careful of microphones.
legendary
Activity: 2730
Merit: 7065
Farewell, Leo. You will be missed!
I just had a quick glance at your most recent article about keeping your seed safe. Among the recommendations, you mention that one should be careful not to write down their seed in a place that has cameras and microphones. It makes sense paying attention to cameras, but what about microphones? Do you know of an instance where a microphone (more precisely a maliciously configured microphone) was able to capture sensitive data such as recovery phrases, and how exactly? The only thing I can think of is being recorded if you are saying the seed words out loud.
Pages:
Jump to: