Author

Topic: Alpha Technology Litecoin (Scrypt) ASIC Miner Order Batch 1 Now! - page 198. (Read 529054 times)

Activity: 826
Merit: 1001
... Dexcel Designs ... have been refining our chip design since May 2013 ...
So they needed 11 months before you could do a tape out ?
Am I reading this correctly, or is the above information incorrect ?
Activity: 84
Merit: 10

Talk about reasonable, if you only list negative things, that is all we see.
They cut some features, why? To save costs for giving us more hashing power. How much more? Originally a 5Mh unit is now MINIMUM of 50! I can lose the LCD screen and WiFi, but the Gui is a bit important and they put that back in.
1. They have demonstrated a working chip design via an fpga. Designing this chip is no longer rocket science. Just a matter of getting them made. The company is Dexcel Designs - a very trustworthy company. Alpha isn't doing all the work.
2. Smoke and mirrors? No, that is an accusation. They are on schedule and increasing hashing power to match. KNC seems to now be off track.
3. Luckily? Hey, if so, as I alluded to, it shows it's not rocket science to make the chips. They have been in design for many months now.
4. You have no evidence here regarding chips, just more blank less accusations. What a load of garbage and conjecture regarding why no LC and Wifi - the Web UI is back! Rebranding, lol.

Great first post.  Roll Eyes

Maybe you're right. And I do hope that I am wrong. And of course these are just speculations. People have a tendency to speculate when they lack hard evidence.
Rebranding? - you know - using sandpaper and potato stamp. Wink

EDIT
Just please notice that after last update 90 MH ASIC is now 250 MH at 1875 W. Do you realize how much more heat has to be removed from the case after this change? How it is possible that the case is still the same. Device needs now 3 times more efficient cooling. Look how much more Alpha has to pay for PSU 675W vs 1875W. Consider that these are all rush changes. What about EU certificates for changed device specs as PSU will be included. Sorry but a lot of people see this as to good to be true right now.
legendary
Activity: 1442
Merit: 1000
Antifragile
Watch what you say on the alpha-t forums. You will get kicked off if you don't totally kiss their ass or pay homage to them as the Great Leader.

Anyhow, I get kicked off their forums and my order for a Viper is now ON HOLD. I dunno exactly where I went wrong:

1. When I questioned Flutz's announcements on BOTH an Ethernet and a USB connection to the Viper miner? I said both are mutually exclusive ---if you have an ethernet, that means there is an internal controller. If you have a USB connection, that means an external controller is needed be it a netbook, desktop, raspi, beaglebone etc. Why would a miner have both? It is either an ethernet or usb.  Did my asking the obvious get me kicked off?

Guys, please be reasonable. The situation is obvious. Product is about to be shipped within 45 days. Yesterday you got the information that there will be no LCD or other unique features that were promised. Hashing speed is changed again. How it is possible that such a changes can be made last minute? What about manufactured already cases? This is not possible.

What is possible in my opinion is followng scenario:

1. Alpha tried but failed to design and produce working chips. Once they have written on the forum discussion "Call us a scam if we don't deliver by April 2014".
2. The situation got hard for them. Lots of smoke and mirror games. Options, features changed on weekly basis.
3. Luckly for Alpha the competition managed to develop and produce working chips.
4. Now Alpha is trying to buy some chips from other company. The prices went down so much that they can still get some bucks from it. As they have no boards, no cases no nothing they announced an excuse that because users pushed them so hard, they have to drop other features and focus just on hashing speed. The truth is that they have to adopt other's company solution as it is. That is why there is no Web UI no LCD no WIFI etc. Their biggest effort right now is to re-brand the chips with their own logo and buy some box to fit the gears in. The good thing is that the customer may still get some kind of equipment and maybe even be happy of it.

Another option, bad one, is that delivery will be much more late or there will be no delivery at all.

Talk about reasonable, if you only list negative things, that is all we see.
They cut some features, why? To save costs for giving us more hashing power. How much more? Originally a 5Mh unit is now MINIMUM of 50! I can lose the LCD screen and WiFi, but the Gui is a bit important and they put that back in.
1. They have demonstrated a working chip design via an fpga. Designing this chip is no longer rocket science. Just a matter of getting them made. The company is Dexcel Designs - a very trustworthy company. Alpha isn't doing all the work.
2. Smoke and mirrors? No, that is an accusation. They are on schedule and increasing hashing power to match. KNC seems to now be off track.
3. Luckily? Hey, if so, as I alluded to, it shows it's not rocket science to make the chips. They have been in design for many months now.
4. You have no evidence here regarding chips, just more blank less accusations. What a load of garbage and conjecture regarding why no LC and Wifi - the Web UI is back! Rebranding, lol.

Great first post.  Roll Eyes
Activity: 84
Watch what you say on the alpha-t forums. You will get kicked off if you don't totally kiss their ass or pay homage to them as the Great Leader.

Anyhow, I get kicked off their forums and my order for a Viper is now ON HOLD. I dunno exactly where I went wrong:

1. When I questioned Flutz's announcements on BOTH an Ethernet and a USB connection to the Viper miner? I said both are mutually exclusive ---if you have an ethernet, that means there is an internal controller. If you have a USB connection, that means an external controller is needed be it a netbook, desktop, raspi, beaglebone etc. Why would a miner have both? It is either an ethernet or usb.  Did my asking the obvious get me kicked off?

Guys, please be reasonable. The situation is obvious. Product is about to be shipped within 45 days. Yesterday you got the information that there will be no LCD or other unique features that were promised. Hashing speed is changed again. How it is possible that such a changes can be made last minute? What about manufactured already cases? This is not possible.

What is possible in my opinion is followng scenario:

1. Alpha tried but failed to design and produce working chips. Once they have written on the forum discussion "Call us a scam if we don't deliver by April 2014".
2. The situation got hard for them. Lots of smoke and mirror games. Options, features changed on weekly basis.
3. Luckly for Alpha the competition managed to develop and produce working chips.
4. Now Alpha is trying to buy some chips from other company. The prices went down so much that they can still get some bucks from it. As they have no boards, no cases no nothing they announced an excuse that because users pushed them so hard, they have to drop other features and focus just on hashing speed. The truth is that they have to adopt other's company solution as it is. That is why there is no Web UI no LCD no WIFI etc. Their biggest effort right now is to re-brand the chips with their own logo and buy some box to fit the gears in. The good thing is that the customer may still get some kind of equipment and maybe even be happy of it.

Another option, bad one, is that delivery will be much more late or there will be no delivery at all.
Activity: 420
Merit: 250
Any one paid the remaining funds?

I'm not paying anything at the moment.

i'm not paying at the moment too, but i don't wanna lose my pre order

I sent them an email asking what I would get as a refund if I would cancel, but didn't get any reply after two days.

well next week they claim we will (usa) be able to pay via credit card..that is 60 days on my amex card..as a buffer they don't come thru i'd  likely get it ALL refunded not just the 70% I owe...so on that safety note (call your credit card company it was an informal reply but was a reply) I also think that if i initiate a dispute before the 60 days on amex then you get more time as they sort thru it

should? be enough of a buffer to see how this works and if it tanks should be able to get all the $$ back imho via cc option imho

hope i'm wrong

but then again i just have 1 2300 buck usd vyper...so wtf...not sure what i'd do with the bigger unit coming

anyway my play on this

Searing

I didn't think about the creditcard. Is that the purchase protection? I have bought with mastercard, they have a 180days purchase protection/insurance. If this would be covered, I could give it a go Smiley
Activity: 97

2. Someone on the forum wanted video proof of a alpha-t miner. I said, okay on this to-be-made video:

"Here is our production factory!" Lots of activity and noise. Then pan to an electronic box that's out-of-focus, but has blinky lights. That's your video proof. Gosh, wasn't this a sweatshop assembling curling irons for the USA market just 5 minutes ago?

Did my joking get me kicked off? I did later state that trust in the company was the only thing that mattered as any video "evidence" can be faked. Did I get kicked off the alpha-t forums for this Flutz?

3. Some future Viper owners didn't like the idea of now no webgui, and that they didn't want to learn linux and that they only knew Windows. I felt for them. Then a smart-ass said he planned to RDP into the miner, and what was the big deal? I said Alpha-T is cutting things out of the miner (led screen, webgui, etc) and why would they be providing a full blown computer that you could RDP into? Did you take issue to this Flutz?

Hey Flutz. I'm asking here and via email for a total refund based on the original Terms of Order, not the current Hashfast-ish constantly changing Terms of Order. My former alpha-t forum name is the same as it is here, "sillywhim".
copper member
Activity: 2898
Merit: 1465
Clueless!

I sent them an email asking what I would get as a refund if I would cancel, but didn't get any reply after two days.

well next week they claim we will (usa) be able to pay via credit card..that is 60 days on my amex card..as a buffer they don't come thru i'd  likely get it ALL refunded not just the 70% I owe...so on that safety note (call your credit card company it was an informal reply but was a reply) I also think that if i initiate a dispute before the 60 days on amex then you get more time as they sort thru it

should? be enough of a buffer to see how this works and if it tanks should be able to get all the $$ back imho via cc option imho

hope i'm wrong

but then again i just have 1 2300 buck usd vyper...so wtf...not sure what i'd do with the bigger unit coming

anyway my play on this

Searing
Activity: 616
Merit: 500
Might be helpful to others here - Do you know how many watts a netbook uses on average? Any suggestions and average cost?
I thought of running windows just to keep things simple but I can run Linux.

I understand Pi's - I ran two for some miners I had. They are solid for the most part, though the cards occasionally crap out, and I strongly suggest you both have an extra already formatted on hand AND use the HIGH SPEED variety. Trust me on this  Grin I've had them running for months on end with no problems and every so often a card would go bad.

I wonder about those BlackBeagles or whatever they are called as a better Pi (I hear they are more solid).

I have never put the netbook on a watt meter, I would guess less than 30w since it's just idling.

You're referring to beaglebones I think? They're hard to source right now.

They can't have a prototype without the chips. The technology is not groundbreaking anymore, so I'm not concerned to a huge degree. I still have concerns as I have been taking part in this space for over a year now, so, I'm not blind.

I can't vehamently disagree with you, so I will hope they are bing honest, and that is my feelings. I mean look at KNC lately.

That's the thing, tapeout is 60-90 days if you're lucky, and if you're super lucky the majority of your chips run as designed within spec. Take another 2 weeks to properly work them up (and that's if you're an experienced IC design shop) within your PCB design and tune the software, then start packaging it all together for shipment preparations. This is why their capability to ship machines at spec on time is a red flag in my mind. Let's say they began tapeout May 1st. They likely won't receive chips until July 1st, unless they're willing to accept crap chips. Very tight window..

KNC is a perfect example. Though lately they've been kicking their customers in the nuts, the fact is their design is stout, and they're experienced at this. With their senior experience it still takes them over a week to tune the chip settings and tweak the software. They have a much more automated setup than Alpha Tech likely has.

Edit: Also, did anyone else notice that they still haven't completed their PCB designs? I sure hope they can source all of the components in mass at the last minute since they're still designing the boards to receive the ASIC. Another tight-timeline issue.
Activity: 35
Merit: 0
What are you guys going to mine with this ASIC? Only LTC and DOGE? Because I don't see any interesting coins being released on scrypt.
Activity: 80
Ok i will pay please post in big fonts when we can pay by credit card

you can pay by credit card already... through Payza.
Or not?
Activity: 223
Merit: 116
Ok i will pay please post in big fonts when we can pay by credit card
legendary
Antifragile
I'm glad they put the web GUI back in. That would have been a pain to get a computer or Pi set up.
Can't complain here, if they are on track and I get my 50 MH unit in July, I should be able to break even.

I understand some of the complaints, but considering this quickly moving field, I think people should be a bit more open to some of the possibilities and be thankful. That said, I know things aren't rosy all over and hope we all come out winners.

Looking forward to the details on the web GUI - I guess this means the miner will now be internally controlled?

Thx,
IAS

IF they are on track AND we get our miner in July, I am not complaining. However, I haven't seen any solid proof that assures me that they are on track, and delivering on time. Anyone could have written those 'updates', but there is no proof anywhere.

If they were at least able to show a prototype, and some hashing units, I would gladly pay the remaining part of my order.

I have two PI's running currently anyway, so I wouldn't mind having no GUI.

They can't have a prototype without the chips. The technology is not groundbreaking anymore, so I'm not concerned to a huge degree. I still have concerns as I have been taking part in this space for over a year now, so, I'm not blind.

I can't vehamently disagree with you, so I will hope they are bing honest, and that is my feelings. I mean look at KNC lately.

But perhaps they can show what they have thus far and maybe use an fpga in place of the chips to show functionality. I just think delivery is tightly timed. Hope we make it.

But what is happening with the one sidedness is a bit dangerous to the project. To a point it helps, but too much and we all suffer.

Its about sharing
Activity: 80
Re: Increase to 50 Mh/s & 250 Mh/s New

« Reply #22 on: Today at 11:16:13 AM »

Quote from: Javihache on Today at 09:20:44 AM
I already payed when I got the e-mail with the upgrade. If I have to use a computer running 24/7 along with the miners I will be asking for a full refund, which I am totally entitled to since the Terms of Order were changed and I don't have to agree to a modified Contract/Agreement. I payed for a standalone unit, not for a bigass Litecoin BFL Jalapeno.

The terms have not been changed for you, only for new customers. And the WebGUI will be implemented either at launch or shortly after. In the mean time like I said I will post a full explanation on how it will work soon but the Ethernet does allow it to be standalone so don't worry on that front.

Fiaz Malik
Manager
Administrator
I'm glad they put the web GUI back in. That would have been a pain to get a computer or Pi set up.
Can't complain here, if they are on track and I get my 50 MH unit in July, I should be able to break even.

I understand some of the complaints, but considering this quickly moving field, I think people should be a bit more open to some of the possibilities and be thankful. That said, I know things aren't rosy all over and hope we all come out winners.

Looking forward to the details on the web GUI - I guess this means the miner will now be internally controlled?

Thx,
IAS

IF they are on track AND we get our miner in July, I am not complaining. However, I haven't seen any solid proof that assures me that they are on track, and delivering on time. Anyone could have written those 'updates', but there is no proof anywhere.

If they were at least able to show a prototype, and some hashing units, I would gladly pay the remaining part of my order.

I have two PI's running currently anyway, so I wouldn't mind having no GUI.
legendary
Antifragile

Thx,
IAS

You can calculate that yourself by using https://alpha-t.net/terms-order/
Quote:

Cancellation & Refund Policy

You may cancel your order at any point within the five month period following the date on which we received payment of your deposit (provided that your product has not yet shipped). The amount of the deposit you will be refunded will depend on when we receive your cancellation:

Up to 1 month after receipt of payment: Full deposit, less the cancellation fee, will be refunded.

More than 1 month and up to 3 months after receipt of payment: 75% of the deposit, less the cancellation fee, will be refunded.

More than 3 months and up to 5 months after receipt of payment : 50% of the deposit, less the cancellation fee, will be refunded.

On cancellation you will also be required to pay a cancellation fee of £70 towards handling charges. We will deduct the cancellation fee from the amount due to be refunded to you in accordance with the terms above before we process the refund.

Yes, but that policy is contradicting both EU as well as UK consumer law.

I agree, but you'll have to go to court to get any better than what you agreed to when you ordered.

Might be a good time to put my legal insurance to the test...

Quote:

You may cancel your order at any point within the five month period following the date on which we received payment of your deposit (provided that your product has not yet shipped). The amount of the deposit you will be refunded will depend on when we receive your cancellation:

Up to 1 month after receipt of payment: Full deposit, less the cancellation fee, will be refunded.

More than 1 month and up to 3 months after receipt of payment: 75% of the deposit, less the cancellation fee, will be refunded.

More than 3 months and up to 5 months after receipt of payment : 50% of the deposit, less the cancellation fee, will be refunded.

On cancellation you will also be required to pay a cancellation fee of £70 towards handling charges. We will deduct the cancellation fee from the amount due to be refunded to you in accordance with the terms above before we process the refund.

I agree, but you'll have to go to court to get any better than what you agreed to when you ordered.

Quote:

Quote:

Jump to: