Author

Topic: Alpha Technology Litecoin (Scrypt) ASIC Miner Order Batch 1 Now! - page 193. (Read 529054 times)

Activity: 433
Merit: 250

It's starting to smell like HashFast all over again.

Yeah I feel sorry for all those KNCminer buyers.  Hashfast was denying bankruptcy all the way to a week before filing.  I think KNCminer still have about 30 days.  They gotta crank those Neptunes out so they doing go completely underwater.  Mine on them for about 30 days to recoup some of their losses and then send them used to the customers.
Dude has your account been hacked? You were posting some intelligent stuff here a few days ago. Now you're trying to tell the good folks here KNC has 30 days before they go bankrupt? C'mon man you can do better than that.

KNC have MILLIONS in BTC and USD. They could settle a lawsuit at any time. On 2nd of May Forum member Merv77 found 2 BTC wallets linked to them with over 43000 btc, about $25 million usd. I've heard estimates they are making $15 million a month from mining alone.

They have plenty of capital for R&D, refunds AND the co development of Titan and Neptune. Comparing KNC to Hashfast is just a joke. Hashfast's CEO said in May they were "As poor as a church mouse". KNC on the other hand are as rich as Croesus.

This is just FUD pure and simple.
Activity: 714
Merit: 500

Yeah I feel sorry for all those KNCminer buyers.  Hashfast was denying bankruptcy all the way to a week before filing.  I think KNCminer still have about 30 days.  They gotta crank those Neptunes out so they doing go completely underwater.  Mine on them for about 30 days to recoup some of their losses and then send them used to the customers.
Activity: 616
If KNC got their Neptune wafers and July is rolling around they will be targeting Neputes to be delivered the beginning of July.  That means they will be in assembly and shipping of Neptunes all of July.  What makes you think they will be able to assemble and ship Neptunes AND accept delivery on Titan wafers, do testing assembly and ship them at the same time.  With the major screw up on Jupiters I don't think the can float that much money and labor around if Neptunes are as screwed up as the Jupiters.  So they will probably ship Titans last day of August to get it in by Q3.  So far their track record is to be late by one month.

And lawsuits and bankruptcy are still on the table.  All that BTC from mining has gone into Neptune and Titan R&D.  With that BTC being stagnant for the better part of the first half of the year they are probably running a little thin.

You realize they have more than one assembly line right, and most of their stuff is plug and play. It's not BFL. Their first 2 batches they were able to handle thousands within a couple of weeks.

The screwups on Jupes, I presume you're talking about the batches they recently shipped out, and not the original 2 batches. The recent orders were a fluke done with a lax attitude. Why? Because they didn't care, it was used equipment, and they knew the people would be forced to deal with it. There'd be a few which needed fixing, but it was easier for them to handle a few fixers after the fact than focus too much on packing and making them all nice and new beforehand.

Lawsuits, if any, will sit on the table for awhile. They aren't thin on money. They have plenty of cash and troves of liquid assets. I'm not sure you realize just how much BTC they earned. Consider that they were 30-40% of the global bitcoin hashrate from December onward. 144 blocks per day, let's say 25% went to KNC, that's 36 BTC. Consider their hashrate continued to grow along with global hashrate, and they maintained 25% global hashrate (which we know they maintained more), and it's been 6 months, that's 36 * 182 = 6,552btc. They've provided about a hundred refunds (ballparking this one), let's say 20btc per refund, that's 2,000btc. Leaving them well over 4,000btc. Not to mention the millions in cash they had prior, and the millions in BTC and other currencies.

This is after the cost to setup their hashing centers, and the fact that their customers funded EVERYTHING. Their gross profit on miners was over 90%. There's a reason Sam has that curious smile in all the photos, and it's because the world has tickled him pink. Smart man.

Edit: In other words, if you don't get what I'm saying, customers paid for everything. They were positive ROI in their pockets from day 1, and ever since have made nothing but pretty much pure profit on all fronts.

Ah so you are saying that KNCminer knew that their Jupiter miners were defective but still shipped them out knowing that they will have to give refunds.  Can you give me a source?  Can I quote you on that?

Source? Can you quote me? Dude, go check out the almost 2,000 page KNC thread which I've been a part of since day 1. That, and more, is there. Yes, they shipped used gear. Yes, they admitted not all of it was new. Yes, they admitted that something "went wrong" and for the folks who cried foul, they fixed the machines. Didn't pay for shipping, but fixed the machines. At least some of them.

Why do you think a lot of the former KNC fanbois are pretty hot right now? I also knew the Neptunes would NOT ship before June, and when the orderbooks opened, I put my word on that. People swore up and down to Valhalla and back that they would ship before April, or May at the latest. Called me all sorts of names in the book. I told them at best, Neptunes would ship end of June, but more likely August. It's in the thread, unedited.

Here we are, 6 months later, and my projection is nearly perfect.

And, again to AlphaTec and its customers I have to say, it doesn't look good that Vipers will ship on time *and* on spec. They've already "changed" the design by removing features, and still haven't answered my 5 day old question about CE certification yet, or addressed my suggestions on how to handle the situation. I'm sure they have a great reason .... but as I've shared with the community, I highly encourage NOBODY to remit full payment until, in writing, you guys have a good sensible solution from AT.

legendary
Activity: 1316
Merit: 1014
ex uno plures
the normal wealthy folk

^^^ best oxymoron of the day
What this all means is that their Titan project is at risk of being temporarily stopped or postponed while they try to settle grievances with sour customers and lawsuits.  Look at Hashfast and how quick they went down the tubes.  It was only 30-60 days for them to file for bankruptcy.  KNCminer is in a worse position than Hashfast.  They are doing the same thing.  Trying to compensate delays with increased hashrates, but what is worse is that KNCminer shipped used and defective equipment as brand new.  That puts them in a whole heap of trouble.

KNC was using their datacenter from December-onward. They amassed a mega pile of BTC, they did this for several reasons. One, was to provide refunds to customers on their 2014 projects, because they knew folks would demand refunds. This allows them to essentially return money to the consumer, without actually losing any money from their liquid assets. They also used the BTC to float other ventures, not on the books. And few know the full extent of their projects.

Regardless of any legal action pending against them, they are a step above the normal wealthy folk. They'll do well for themselves for the remainder of their life, because they know how to shift funds and operate a smart business.

Even if I'm wrong about their tapeout process--which is fine, nothing bad about being wrong--they're still well within their time frame of Q3 delivery, which is what I've stood by. Whether shipped in June or August.. or even December, the multiple petahashes are coming.

Re-focus back on AT, it's almost the close of the business day for them and there's still no response back to issues. And you know they're keeping an eye on this thread.

Ah so you are saying that KNCminer knew that their Jupiter miners were defective but still shipped them out knowing that they will have to give refunds.  Can you give me a source?  Can I quote you on that?
What this all means is that their Titan project is at risk of being temporarily stopped or postponed

What are the odds? 50% )?
About zero. KNC have a lot of money and BTC from their mining. So refunds won't kill them like it did Hashfast and is doing to Cointerra.

I can't see a lot of traction in legal action if they remedy the mistakes they made.

They've just got their neptune wafers (http://forum.kncminer.com/forum/resellers-affilicates/general-questions/44990-the-neptune-wafers-have-left-the-building) So there is a light at the end of the tunnel for their Bitcoin customers

If KNC got their Neptune wafers and July is rolling around they will be targeting Neputes to be delivered the beginning of July.  That means they will be in assembly and shipping of Neptunes all of July.  What makes you think they will be able to assemble and ship Neptunes AND accept delivery on Titan wafers, do testing assembly and ship them at the same time.  With the major screw up on Jupiters I don't think the can float that much money and labor around if Neptunes are as screwed up as the Jupiters.  So they will probably ship Titans last day of August to get it in by Q3.  So far their track record is to be late by one month.

And lawsuits and bankruptcy are still on the table.  All that BTC from mining has gone into Neptune and Titan R&D.  With that BTC being stagnant for the better part of the first half of the year they are probably running a little thin.
legendary
Activity: 1442
Merit: 1000
Antifragile
What this all means is that their Titan project is at risk of being temporarily stopped or postponed while they try to settle grievances with sour customers and lawsuits.  Look at Hashfast and how quick they went down the tubes.  It was only 30-60 days for them to file for bankruptcy.  KNCminer is in a worse position than Hashfast.  They are doing the same thing.  Trying to compensate delays with increased hashrates, but what is worse is that KNCminer shipped used and defective equipment as brand new.  That puts them in a whole heap of trouble.

KNC was using their datacenter from December-onward. They amassed a mega pile of BTC, they did this for several reasons. One, was to provide refunds to customers on their 2014 projects, because they knew folks would demand refunds. This allows them to essentially return money to the consumer, without actually losing any money from their liquid assets. They also used the BTC to float other ventures, not on the books. And few know the full extent of their projects.

Regardless of any legal action pending against them, they are a step above the normal wealthy folk. They'll do well for themselves for the remainder of their life, because they know how to shift funds and operate a smart business.

Even if I'm wrong about their tapeout process--which is fine, nothing bad about being wrong--they're still well within their time frame of Q3 delivery, which is what I've stood by. Whether shipped in June or August.. or even December, the multiple petahashes are coming.

Re-focus back on AT, it's almost the close of the business day for them and there's still no response back to issues. And you know they're keeping an eye on this thread.

You bring up a point that I'm sure many are starting to see.
If you want to buy lots of coins but don't want to move the market, you have few choices:
You can buy them offline in dark pools. But word is that is getting harder.
You can make an arrangement with Bitpay or the like (I would think) and buy their coins as they come in.
Spend a crap load on miners and just mine them...
Huh

Activity: 77
Merit: 10
no point rushing to send a defective miner
What this all means is that their Titan project is at risk of being temporarily stopped or postponed

About zero. KNC have a lot of money and BTC from their mining. So refunds won't kill them like it did Hashfast and is doing to Cointerra.

I can't see a lot of traction in legal action if they remedy the mistakes they made.

They've just got their neptune wafers (http://forum.kncminer.com/forum/resellers-affilicates/general-questions/44990-the-neptune-wafers-have-left-the-building) So there is a light at the end of the tunnel for their Bitcoin customers
Activity: 708
Merit: 502

legendary
Activity: 1316
Merit: 1014
ex uno plures

BS.  So many experts here … so few facts.
Ah asic mining companies. Don't you just love em. I honestly keep wondering why we continue to give them money.
This community should have crowdfunded its own chip development and farm on a profit share basis. If those geniuses at Alpha and KNC can do it I'm sure we've got the skill sets here to.

This is absolutely the last time I get involved with pre-orders and hopefully it's the last time they happen. These twats need to start carrying more of the risk and funding development themselves. Stop promising gold and delivering turds.
lol Cheesy you got owned vesperwillow, read it and weep. May 14th "We're EXPECTING TO ANNOUNCE final tape out within the next few weeks. i read it as: they will ANNOUNCE WHEN tape out is finished, and correct me if i'm wrong but i believe there has been no such announcement. Also read KNC announcement to find out that they have still not delivered their super NEPTUNE sha-256 miners lol. now they say get 2 for 1 and they will take them from batch 3 stock lol lol. so do tell me vesperwillow, how can KNC be on top of things with their mighty TITAN scrypt machines, when they are literally months behind on their NEPTUNE miners. that is the real, and only interpretation  Cheesy

Yes, I was owned. Because.. why? The Titan and Neptune are 2 different platforms, in 2 separate cycles. They're sandbagging the Neptunes, as I and some others already knew, and they're doing it on purpose. The Neptune delivery, if it occurs, won't be until deep Q3. The Titans they won't sandbag on because they need invigorated customers for another round of crowdfunding. But, if you kept up with the KNC threads and forums you'd know I and others already explained this. Dude, you totally got me. I'm owned because.. wait, you still haven't explained why?

Why would they not have already started the tapeout process when their engineering team was done with chip design 2 months ago. Think about that for a minute. Or in your case.. think about it for 3 minutes. Take all the time you need.

KNCminer had to post the comment about tape out to drive buyers of its Titans.  They did not sell out as expected.  They did the same thing with the increased hashrate announcements.  It's to drive sales.  Those increased hashrates erodes their potential profit margins going forward.  It did for may of the manufactures.  AT is a good example.  They did not want to play the game but were forced to give away some profits.

Yes the BTC and Scrypt ASICs are on two development tracks.  But they are funded by the same pile of cash.  KNCminer uses profits from their farm to invest in development of miners for sale and expanding their farm.  They will rob peter to pay paul the same way with ASIC development.  KNCminer's Jupiter problems has costed them.  A lot of refunds, repairs and replacements, a lot of increased hashrate compensation for hardware failures and accusations they were selling used mining equipment as new.  Several lawsuits have already been filed which will probably result in injunctions against KNCminer.  Since their farm is a separate company it will continue to operate but an injunction means that their accounts are frozen for the continued development of their units.  They can send all their profits into a "special development project" to protect if from the claims.

lol Cheesy you got owned vesperwillow, read it and weep. May 14th "We're EXPECTING TO ANNOUNCE final tape out within the next few weeks. i read it as: they will ANNOUNCE WHEN tape out is finished, and correct me if i'm wrong but i believe there has been no such announcement. Also read KNC announcement to find out that they have still not delivered their super NEPTUNE sha-256 miners lol. now they say get 2 for 1 and they will take them from batch 3 stock lol lol. so do tell me vesperwillow, how can KNC be on top of things with their mighty TITAN scrypt machines, when they are literally months behind on their NEPTUNE miners. that is the real, and only interpretation  Cheesy

Yes, I was owned. Because.. why? The Titan and Neptune are 2 different platforms, in 2 separate cycles. They're sandbagging the Neptunes, as I and some others already knew, and they're doing it on purpose. The Neptune delivery, if it occurs, won't be until deep Q3. The Titans they won't sandbag on because they need invigorated customers for another round of crowdfunding. But, if you kept up with the KNC threads and forums you'd know I and others already explained this. Dude, you totally got me. I'm owned because.. wait, you still haven't explained why?

Why would they not have already started the tapeout process when their engineering team was done with chip design 2 months ago. Think about that for a minute. Or in your case.. think about it for 3 minutes. Take all the time you need.

They say this is going to draw 1800+ watts at 120v?!? What the hell do I plug it into???

Anything that draws 1600+ watts continuously should be running at 240v.

This is aside from the heat/case design concerns... Im worried that by trying to match KNC they are going to end up with too many problems/delays and ship nothing.

Honestly, I want to pay off the remainder but how can I with so much still unknown and knowledge that if there are major delays I wont ever ROI, if I even get a Viper in the mail.   

Well, I did my own wiring to my mining system. Not everyone can do the same.

The fact that AT is ignoring key points, specifically the red flag issues I've asked them about, should tell you a lot right now. They're scrambling, and they got real quiet when I brought up the CE issue. I'm sure they'll rebut with some amazing explanation, but anything having to do with CE stuff shouldn't be believed unless they plan to remove the PSU plans from the system, if they're going to make July deliveries.

2-12 weeks for CE certification, and that's using equipment taken off the assembly line, not a prototype.
Q2 ended yesterday in case you didn't know

What calendar are you using?

Zoinks!!!....I've been playing watchdogs too long. It's only been 4 days but it feels like a month Grin
legendary
Activity: 966
Merit: 1000
Q2 ended yesterday in case you didn't know

What calendar are you using?
legendary
Activity: 1078
Merit: 1050

Thanks but i was tryna make a new word, a mix between conniving and sniverling but clearly i failed. I guess its more sonniverling, im not the best at speller or punctuation as it is so thanks

The KNC statement says they will announce FINAL TAPEOUT in a few weeks.

There is a LOT of confusion about the tape out process in these forums in several different threads.
Some think it is a one time event, others think it is an iterative process with delivery of test chips between each step.

@retro72, Could you explain to everybody just exactly how the tape out process works, how long it typically takes and describe the events and their likely timeline that take place once final tape out happens and before final product ships ?

From Wiki:
"In electronics design, tape-out or tapeout is the final result of the design cycle for integrated circuits or printed circuit boards, the point at which the artwork for the photomask of a circuit is sent for manufacture.

The term tapeout currently is used to describe the creation of the photomask itself from the final approved electronic CAD file. This stage is sometimes referred to as PG, for Pattern Generation. Designers may use this term to refer to the writing of the final file to disk or CD and its subsequent transmission to the foundry; however, in current practice the foundry will perform checks and make modifications to the mask design specific to the manufacturing process before actual tapeout.

Tape-out is usually a cause for celebration by everyone who worked on the project, followed by trepidation awaiting the first article, the first physical samples of a chip from the manufacturing facility (semiconductor foundry).

The weeks before the tapeout are categorized as 'sleepless nights' in the parlance of IC Designers.

First tapeout is rarely the end of work for the design team. Most chips will go through a set of spins in which fixes are implemented after testing the first article. Many different factors can cause a spin, including:

The taped-out design fails final checks at the foundry due to problems manufacturing the design itself.
The design is successfully fabricated, but the first article fails functionality tests".

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My understanding is, the design goes from First tapeout to final tapeout with a series of iterations in between. How many are needed depends on the quality of the initial design and the ability of the foundry to produce it but it can take weeks.
Alpha are still in the tapeout process, along with KNC. Alpha have decided to gamble and use risk lots in their devices, essentially first run sample chips, which tells me they are way behind where they thought they would be and are risking reliability and performance for the promise of a July delivery.
Jump to: