Author

Topic: Alpha Technology Litecoin (Scrypt) ASIC Miner Order Batch 1 Now! - page 194. (Read 529054 times)

Activity: 1036
Merit: 500
They say this is going to draw 1800+ watts at 120v?!? What the hell do I plug it into???

Anything that draws 1600+ watts continuously should be running at 240v.

This is aside from the heat/case design concerns... Im worried that by trying to match KNC they are going to end up with too many problems/delays and ship nothing.

Honestly, I want to pay off the remainder but how can I with so much still unknown and knowledge that if there are major delays I wont ever ROI, if I even get a Viper in the mail.  
legendary
Activity: 1442
Merit: 1000
Antifragile
Judging by the comments here, it looks like KNC is going to be later to market than they stated with the Titans. In particular because they are already late with their Sha256 miners.
Nothing is set in stone and there are some smoke and mirrors going on.

I don't believe AT has answered the questions regarding CE and the power supplies? (They can just ship them separately though I believe.)

And the tension builds, seems like this "gamble" might pay off here though...

IAS

You know the Titans and the Neptunes are on completely different development cycles right? Your statement is based on a few posts, one by a person who doesn't know the difference between a super Jupiter and a Neptune and believes KNC are months behind their Neptune Q1/Q2 shipping date (Q2 ended yesterday in case you didn't know).  Yet you choose to ignore the huge amount of valid posts pointing out the enormous flaws in Alpha's development.

The KNC statement says they will announce FINAL TAPEOUT in a few weeks. Have Alpha announced FINAL TAPEOUT? No. They are still in tapeout. So what gives you the impression they are so far ahead?  They are still trying to stuff more chips in, re-designing the case, sourcing larger power supplies and have yet to get CE certification. On top of that they are going to use "risk lot" chips which brings reliability into question.  But yet you say this "gamble might pay off"?

I've got some great Syrian real estate if your interested. Huge development potential. In need of slight modernisation....... Tongue

Personally I have no idea when KNC are going to ship. Q3 would be great. I paid with mined LTC so I'm not wetting myself like some people on these forums. But I do know, with the reactionary, seat of the pants way Alpha operate. I'm glad I didn't go with them.

I don't know but assumed there was no mingling regarding the Titans and Neptunes with development cycles. But, I can't imagine KNC being this far behind with their Sha256 machines and then being on time with the Scrypt ASIC's. That would just smack the Sha256 customers in the face imo and they are recently on thin ice there. Not that KNC should hold back on the Scrypts, but my understanding with the tape out is that they are still a ways a way from getting the chips. I guess it depends on how one looks at their statement, but at face value, it looks like they are farther away.

I am no expert here, perhaps we need clarification on a final tape out. AT started their tape out a while ago and paid extra to have the chips in their hands quicker. They said they are on track. I can only take that for what it's worth. The things pointed out about AT are not ground breakers to me - the PS issue, larger case, etc. That can be worked out. The smaller unit was said to be expandable a while ago, so I had no questions about heat and air flow. Not sure about the larger unit though.

Just a crypto guy for now, so I'll pass on your real estate offer. Plus, I hear the neighborhood is not all that safe these days.

Its about sharing
legendary
Activity: 1316
Merit: 1014
ex uno plures
The KNC statement says they will announce FINAL TAPEOUT in a few weeks.

There is a LOT of confusion about the tape out process in these forums in several different threads.
Some think it is a one time event, others think it is an iterative process with delivery of test chips between each step.

@retro72, Could you explain to everybody just exactly how the tape out process works, how long it typically takes and describe the events and their likely timeline that take place once final tape out happens and before final product ships ?
Activity: 433
Merit: 250
Judging by the comments here, it looks like KNC is going to be later to market than they stated with the Titans. In particular because they are already late with their Sha256 miners.

I don't believe AT has answered the questions regarding CE and the power supplies? (They can just ship them separately though I believe.)

IAS

You know the Titans and the Neptunes are on completely different development cycles right? Your statement is based on a few posts, one by a person who doesn't know the difference between a super Jupiter and a Neptune and believes KNC are months behind their Neptune Q1/Q2 shipping date (Q2 ended yesterday in case you didn't know).  Yet you choose to ignore the huge amount of valid posts pointing out the enormous flaws in Alpha's development.

The KNC statement says they will announce FINAL TAPEOUT in a few weeks. Have Alpha announced FINAL TAPEOUT? No. They are still in tapeout. So what gives you the impression they are so far ahead?  They are still trying to stuff more chips in, re-designing the case, sourcing larger power supplies and have yet to get CE certification. On top of that they are going to use "risk lot" chips which brings reliability into question.  But yet you say this "gamble might pay off"?

I've got some great Syrian real estate if your interested. Huge development potential. In need of slight modernisation....... Tongue

Personally I have no idea when KNC are going to ship. Q3 would be great. I paid with mined LTC so I'm not wetting myself like some people on these forums. But I do know, with the reactionary, seat of the pants way Alpha operate. I'm glad I didn't go with them.
legendary
ex uno plures
legendary
ex uno plures
Judging by the comments here, it looks like KNC is going to be later to market than they stated with the Titans.

My assessment is that KNC is going to pull a surprise hat trick with the Neptune and Titan ( seriously over deliver on time ) and there are going to be a lot of bitcointalk shills ( no I'm not talking about you IAS ) for other companies products going around trying to make lame excuses for themselves this summer.
legendary
Antifragile

IAS
copper member
Activity: 2898
Merit: 1465
Clueless!
Did I miss a KNC announcement about beginning tape-out or do you have other sources ?

Buried in one of the large KNC threads on here is where I saw the announcement that they started tapeout about 40 days ago or so. Their batch 1 delivery projects were what, August? Q2/Q3 is what they promised, with Q2 being most likely, Q3 being latest. They stopped development on the chip 2 months ago. So this rough timeframe ballparking adds up, they should have chips in hand no later than June. (my projection based on what I know and how they've performed before) Historically it takes them 3 weeks for final tuning and have stuff going into crates for UPS pickup.

In KNC's May 14th announcement on their site they said "We're expecting to announce final tape out within the next few weeks."

That could be interpreted a few ways. Considering their design team was done 2 months ago, and they're aiming for shipping in the next 2 months, I'd say it is interpreted as their tapeout will be complete within the next few weeks. They did the same thing/same rhetoric for their asic machines.
lol Cheesy you got owned vesperwillow, read it and weep. May 14th "We're EXPECTING TO ANNOUNCE final tape out within the next few weeks. i read it as: they will ANNOUNCE WHEN tape out is finished, and correct me if i'm wrong but i believe there has been no such announcement. Also read KNC announcement to find out that they have still not delivered their super NEPTUNE sha-256 miners lol. now they say get 2 for 1 and they will take them from batch 3 stock lol lol. so do tell me vesperwillow, how can KNC be on top of things with their mighty TITAN scrypt machines, when they are literally months behind on their NEPTUNE miners. that is the real, and only interpretation  Cheesy

sigh ..you could be correct ..i xfered a Neptune CA order to the Titan about 2 weeks before KNC went off the rails an started to announce GH mining and other games if I remember correctly...all I know is I ordered it as a straight xfer and almost immediately they went from the darling of customer service to the BFL end of the pool....

anyway still better odds then the Neptune...but yeah ....may have screwed up on this...(in my defense all was kosher the day i xfered ..then splat!)

hindsight is a bitch

Searing
legendary
Activity: 1078
Merit: 1050
Did I miss a KNC announcement about beginning tape-out or do you have other sources ?

Buried in one of the large KNC threads on here is where I saw the announcement that they started tapeout about 40 days ago or so. Their batch 1 delivery projects were what, August? Q2/Q3 is what they promised, with Q2 being most likely, Q3 being latest. They stopped development on the chip 2 months ago. So this rough timeframe ballparking adds up, they should have chips in hand no later than June. (my projection based on what I know and how they've performed before) Historically it takes them 3 weeks for final tuning and have stuff going into crates for UPS pickup.

In KNC's May 14th announcement on their site they said "We're expecting to announce final tape out within the next few weeks."

That could be interpreted a few ways. Considering their design team was done 2 months ago, and they're aiming for shipping in the next 2 months, I'd say it is interpreted as their tapeout will be complete within the next few weeks. They did the same thing/same rhetoric for their asic machines.
lol Cheesy you got owned vesperwillow, read it and weep. May 14th "We're EXPECTING TO ANNOUNCE final tape out within the next few weeks. i read it as: they will ANNOUNCE WHEN tape out is finished, and correct me if i'm wrong but i believe there has been no such announcement. Also read KNC announcement to find out that they have still not delivered their super NEPTUNE sha-256 miners lol. now they say get 2 for 1 and they will take them from batch 3 stock lol lol. so do tell me vesperwillow, how can KNC be on top of things with their mighty TITAN scrypt machines, when they are literally months behind on their NEPTUNE miners. that is the real, and only interpretation  Cheesy

Neptune says Q2-Q3, people are just wetting the bed because its the end of Q2! They want them now and that is very different to the realistic time frame knc has given. If i'm not mistaken same is applied to the titan they are on schedual just like the neptune. I don't, however know how relevant either of those machines will be once shipped though (to the bedwetting miner) because i haven't done the numbers recently but they will roi one day its just a matter of how long you can hold onto the coins you mine without pissing yourselves. Thats the true measure of who is a scrub and who is a winner and you cant blame any of these companies if you sell at a loss!

If you want to make amazing profits and roi early then you must get funding and find cheap power/overheads and get a bulk deal on chips to make your own miners! its as simple as that and has been this way since November last year. Unless you can do that then you are stuck taking what you can get and reinvesting or holding the coins for a long long time.

Accept it, deal with it and negate it as much as you can and you will start having fun again Smiley Dont and you will continue to be a sniving little creep who always feels hard done by and will always be worried too much about how much a company is making or how much the ceo has earn't this year from his farm!
Activity: 203
Merit: 100

legendary
ex uno plures

I hope you are right ! I've got a nice PSU waiting for my Titan. Now please make my day and tell me that you heard a rumor from a little KNC birdie that the Titan will be closer to 500 than 300 mhs ...
Activity: 616

legendary
ex uno plures

I didn't do any further calculations, but I started the difficulty at 15000 instead of the current 8900 the calculator gave.
20% hop? Wow, but if KNC and the others deliver we are talking ASIC's and not GPU's. Guess that is believable.
What are some of the numbers you have run. Would be appreciated. Say for a late July delivery.

I don't have anything with me (it's at work), just going off the top of my head. When I examined KNC's batch 1 gear, I remember that it was going to be 2PH minimum, with potentially another 1PH depending on how overclocking and KNC's own datacenters play out. They plan on more batches after that, and there's been rumor of a multi-aglo machine.

I don't hold onto links, I just keep some rough notes. It's one of the many reasons Alpha needs to step up to the plate, the big boys are catching up fast. I also talk with some folks who are closer to KNC.

20% for LTC is a lot. The difficulty for LTC changes more often than that of BTC, so generally the changes are smaller.

I am using 3% as low estimate for the short term, and 10% as a high estimate.

Yes, it is a lot, but keep in mind how much hash is coming from 4 distributors right now, with the ones currently shipping about to release another batch, and with Alpha Tec "supposedly" shipping in July, and with KNC.

Do the math on KNC's gear. Minimum of 300MH times 1500 units, and then 150MH times 1500 units. And then if you want to get fruity, add 20% to those numbers for overclock hashing. And KNC will be mining LTC as well, so who knows how much hash they'll be bringing on for themselves.

It's significant, hence my rough sketch of a possible jump once everything comes online. It may not be 20%, but it's not going to just be a few percent. Remember, KNC is the sole reason behind BTC's huge difficulty hops starting back in November. Their goal is to demolish scrypt hash and difficulty, and something tells me their gen2 scrypt gear will be near the GH range.
Activity: 420
I dont know if cancel or go on with the order... dunno

Have you looked at the litecoin mining calculators?
The 50Mh/s unit IF delivered in July should return a profit. Depends a bit on if LTC keeps crapping down on us.
I think the average result of the calculators was 3 point something LTC a day on the small unit.
Anyone do any calculations on the miners and LTC difficulty? I used a 3% rising difficulty, not sure if that is a good setting or not.

Did you do any side calculations to take into account the net effect of all AT gear hitting the network? I believe they originally had 2,500 machines selling in batch one--might be off a little on that number. Also bear in mind the other petahashes coming from other distributors in June/July.

Just off the hip, I would've used 20% difficulty hop. This is without looking at any data sheets.

And when KNC's stuff hits the market, the gloves will be off. They're coming out of tapeout on their first gen units, in fact they should already be working with the chips right now to reach their Q2/Q3 delivery projections (I'm personally thinking July/August). Not sure if you follow KNC, but their first gen gear will triple LTC global hashrate. And their 2nd and 3rd batch orders are processing.

20% for LTC is a lot. The difficulty for LTC changes more often than that of BTC, so generally the changes are smaller.

I am using 3% as low estimate for the short term, and 10% as a high estimate.
legendary
ex uno plures
And when KNC's stuff hits the market, the gloves will be off. They're coming out of tapeout on their first gen units, in fact they should already be working with the chips right now to reach their Q2/Q3 delivery projections

legendary
Antifragile

The 50Mh/s unit IF delivered in July should return a profit. Depends a bit on if LTC keeps crapping down on us.
I think the average result of the calculators was 3 point something LTC a day on the small unit.
Anyone do any calculations on the miners and LTC difficulty? I used a 3% rising difficulty, not sure if that is a good setting or not.

Did you do any side calculations to take into account the net effect of all AT gear hitting the network? I believe they originally had 2,500 machines selling in batch one--might be off a little on that number. Also bear in mind the other petahashes coming from other distributors in June/July.

Just off the hip, I would've used 20% difficulty hop. This is without looking at any data sheets.

And when KNC's stuff hits the market, the gloves will be off. They're coming out of tapeout on their first gen units, in fact they should already be working with the chips right now to reach their Q2/Q3 delivery projections (I'm personally thinking July/August). Not sure if you follow KNC, but their first gen gear will triple LTC global hashrate. And their 2nd and 3rd batch orders are processing.

I didn't do any further calculations, but I started the difficulty at 15000 instead of the current 8900 the calculator gave.
20% hop? Wow, but if KNC and the others deliver we are talking ASIC's and not GPU's. Guess that is believable.
What are some of the numbers you have run. Would be appreciated. Say for a late July delivery.

legendary
Antifragile

Activity: 266
Jump to: