Author

Topic: Alpha Technology Litecoin (Scrypt) ASIC Miner Order Batch 1 Now! - page 196. (Read 529054 times)

legendary
Activity: 966
Merit: 1000
So far as I know, historically no mining ASIC maker has ever hit their planned energy efficiency targets.  Avalons first chips consumed about 150% of the planned amount, where BFLs consumed 450%.  I don't have numbers for Hashfast and Cointerra but I hear they had the same problem.

I would advise Alpha to prepare for similar results, and to plan accordingly when designing the PCBs.  Use extra copper to make fatter traces able to handle more amps, design in pad provisions to add more voltage regulators and power connectors if they turn out to be needed, etc.  The same goes for the cooling system.
Activity: 350
Merit: 250
Does it really matter?  No company taking payment in full up front before a working product has been demonstrated has ever delivered what they promised, when they promised it.  This company will not be the first.  And why would they?  As long as people continue to be willing to pay cash up front for a product that has 0 chance of being delivered on time (seriously, how many times have we seen this EXACT pattern Huh), there really is no reason for them to change their business practices. 
legendary
Activity: 1442
Antifragile

You can't remove chips, but I would imagine you can remove boards.
Your earlier complaint was rediculous, if you didn't realize it. You are essentially complaining about free hashing power.
Now, if you can't handle the added electricity, then fair enough. But I'm pretty sure these boards (not chips) just plug in.

Wink

Your belive that you can expand the capacity by factor of 3 from already pumped-up case design is ridiculous. My concerns were about amount of heat generated not about juggling with chip boards. The only reasonable explanation is that they don't have the case yet but that cast a big shadow on July delivery. EU regulations concerning the PSUs is another issue.

It is not my belief. AT said a while ago that the smaller miner could be upped substantially. I forget the amount, but that info must be around. I forget where I read it though.

Adding more cards, if the design is good, would just involve more fans. AT needs to comment on this at some point.
Activity: 84
Merit: 10

Your earlier complaint was rediculous, if you didn't realize it. You are essentially complaining about free hashing power.
Now, if you can't handle the added electricity, then fair enough. But I'm pretty sure these boards (not chips) just plug in.

Wink

Your belive that you can expand the capacity by factor of 3 from already pumped-up case design is ridiculous. My concerns were about amount of heat generated not about juggling with chip boards. The only reasonable explanation is that they don't have the case yet but that cast a big shadow on July delivery. EU regulations concerning the PSUs is another issue.

I never said what you quoted, are you referring to someone else?

Yes. Sorry, I have fixed the quote.
legendary
Antifragile
Retro72 - great points, hope to find out.

What for? You can always use just 1/2 of the chips as you have stated before. Wink

Wink
Activity: 784
Merit: 504

What for? You can always use just 1/2 of the chips as you have stated before. Wink

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.7018898
Activity: 616
Merit: 500

Activity: 152
Merit: 102
eh, what the hell.  I'm paying the balance tonight after work.  Grin  Money I'm willing to risk.

That said, my Zeus miner order shipped today.  Wink
They are including PSUs. 3 in the 250, 1 in the 50

Fiaz from the litecointalk thread

"PSU will be included and it is 40nm."

I made the point about the PSUs a couple of months ago but it fell on deaf ears.

Well you're not alone now.

If they are including the PSU's, and they don't obtain CE certification, the odds are extremely high that equipment will be confiscated by customs. They either have to remove the PSU, risk not having the certification, or will put a fraudulent CE sticker on the cases.

IF they expect to make July shipping.

So in addition to chip foundry timeline, you now have the CE/PSU issue in the timeline. 2 red flags in my mind for a July shipping goal.
Activity: 433
They are including PSUs. 3 in the 250, 1 in the 50

Fiaz from the litecointalk thread

"PSU will be included and it is 40nm."

I made the point about the PSUs a couple of months ago but it fell on deaf ears.
The PSU point is noteworthy. They can't legally export a device with a PSU built in or included, until it's got a CE rating, which takes at minimum with bribes, several weeks with a working final product (off the assembly line). This is one of the issues CoinTerra ran into.

So, were they originally including a PSU or not? If not, then no worries.

Just buy an off the shelf approved PS?

Well that's my pondering, I can't remember now if they were going to include it when they ship it. Legally they can't include it at all, even if it's an off the shelf device. CE regulations in the UK/EU require the certification if the device is coming with its own power source.

Now, if they aren't including one, then no worries and the customer supplies their own. I was merely wondering what the original plan was, as CE certification would add 2-12 weeks after the units have been assembled and prepped for shipping.
legendary
Antifragile
The PSU point is noteworthy. They can't legally export a device with a PSU built in or included, until it's got a CE rating, which takes at minimum with bribes, several weeks with a working final product (off the assembly line). This is one of the issues CoinTerra ran into.

Just buy an off the shelf approved PS?

Activity: 433
I'm not sure on the 90Mh/s, I was commenting on the 50Mh/s. Fiaz just mentioned they will adjust the cases. I'm not sure this is that big of a deal. Making a case or the base board larger doesn't seem like a huge deal to me, but I'm not expert here. I hope they are being honest.

I'm not so much the king of optimism, I've been bitten before, albeit not terribly. What I find problematic here is the extreme negativity with no reason. No one seems to be in the middle, and I'm trying to see both sides of things. I've tried not letting emotions go to my head.

At this point, considering our limited knowledge, I only hope Fiaz and company are being honest.

The thing is, I'm not convinced the original case design/layout would work. If you look at every other mining asic they are vastly more heatsink/cooling than chips.

I can't see any space for heatsinks in that design so I don't see how stuffing more boards in there is going to work.

They are either producing the coolest mining asic chips ever designed or they need a vastly bigger case. This is not something an adjustment will fix.

KNC:

Cointerra: They use liquid cooling but it still takes up a vast amount of space

ZeusMiner:

GridSeed:

Avalon:

legendary
Antifragile
No case prototype?

No PSU prototype?

I guess they are already ordered

Case prototype? Are you making this stuff up? A case a relatively simple.
PS's are off the shelf.
Activity: 266
No case prototype?

No PSU prototype?

I guess they are already ordered

legendary
Antifragile
Fiaz I ask you a days ago... we NEED to SEE SOMETHING...

You answer me to see old info I have already seen... but we NEED to SEE something going around today 29th May 2014.

At this moment my "faith level" is going downto 0 so I need to believe... but need something else than words...

The chips are being produced. The whole operation is in progress.
There is nothing yet to see.
Activity: 266
Fiaz I ask you a days ago... we NEED to SEE SOMETHING...

You answer me to see old info I have already seen... but we NEED to SEE something going around today 29th May 2014.

At this moment my "faith level" is going downto 0 so I need to believe... but need something else than words...
Jump to: