Pages:
Author

Topic: And some more delays in BFL shipment plans / no shipment before 14th Jan 2013 - page 5. (Read 22705 times)

Activity: 588
Merit: 500
firstbits.com/1kznfw
This place absolutely never fails to defend major scammers just before they steal everything and split.  I mean never; it happened with pirate, Patrick, Nefario, Zhou, the list just goes on. 

It boggles the mind how you can get scammed so many times and not learn a goddamned thing.

This is an interesting response to a post that links to an argument for giving BFL representatives a scammer tag, while calling them dishonest and naive. I think you would do well to try to understand a post before commenting on it.
Activity: 42
Merit: 0
I do believe he prefaced his accounting with...

This isn't an attempt at a defense for BFL...
Activity: 125
Merit: 100
Activity: 125
Merit: 100
And now every single BFL thread has been dumped into the german off topic forum.  Wonder which admin got paid off for it, and how much it cost.

Here's the part where you all struggle to defend the obvious scam even more.
Activity: 42
Merit: 0
Activity: 547
Merit: 531
First bits: 12good
I wouldn't worry. If that whole "producing our own chips" thing doesn't pan out, they can now always buy them from ASICMINER, because tadaa, their wafers are done:

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.1394701

Merry Christmas.

Haha Merry Christmas to you too, sad I own only 5 shares at ASICMINER
legendary
Activity: 1458
Merit: 1006
What venture capitalist views every investment as a sure thing?

There is no way in hell that BFL has VC backing. Not with Vleisides on board. No chance.

Yes, yes I've read the press release.

An "Anonymous Private Equity Group" is in the realm of the possible,
if that's what they call the "missing" i.e. non-recovered gains from the $19M lottery scam.

Either every little expense is out of the customers pocket, or that mixed with criminal proceeds from the fraud-ring.
legendary
Activity: 1274
Merit: 1004
What venture capitalist views every investment as a sure thing?
legendary
Activity: 1890
Merit: 1003
On second thought, don't talk to me Inaba.

Talk to me when you actually have delivered 100 [ASIC] units of a product your company sells. Until that time shooo....I disown you as a legitimate vendor. Begone from my sight!

Edit: and uh, best of luck.

Wonderful PuertoLibre, does this mean you will leave this BFL thread and go to the actual ASIC vendor's thread? We will be deeply saddened by this loss.
It just means I no longer see BFL as a credible vendor of ASIC devices.

Nothing has changed other than telling Inaba to go and send his customers some lots to regain his [vendor] credibility.

The second wave of refunds are about to start (IMO). This is the dangerous side of refunds IMO.

Unless their VC invested into BFL for the sake of massive orders of hardware....well, there is only so much in terms of refunds that BFL can afford. [Speculation]

---------------------------

Think of it this way, you are in the reps position and represent your company. You pay the fab for a 65nm process node and all the perks including a few "bullet runs". (matrix bullet time, not real speedy bullets).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhxbYTMNMxo

The bill comes out to 1 or 2 million (theoretical speculation). Great, they start the job, they use some fab techniques to keep their costs down. When they are sure it works, they go full throttle.

Problem, the throttle doesn't work, the Fab is evasive, the time grows longer and longer each day. Then you have your first round of refunds. That money backing your company as profits and as repayment to the VC is shrinking.

Lets say you lose only 750,000 in the first round of refunds. Great, the loss is minimal. But you have to cover operating costs and dozens of other smaller expenses. Lets say you use VC money and not refundable customer money. (Think of it as two different pools)

Then, there is a screw up at the fab. The timeline shifts drastically with no end in sight. People lose confidence (rightly so IMO).

The second round of refunds come in. This time you lose 1.5 million.

-----------------------

You can only lose so much before you can't even pay back the VC. The VC won't come from BFL's own pockets but from their profits. Correct? Or am I mistaken?

People seem to think that panic should only start if 100% of the refunds go back into the hands of the customers.  That would implode BFL.

But is that really the case?

Keep in mind they are paying money to their employees and the fab and everyone else in the pipeline (parts/location/ etc).

How much of their current customer pool can they refund before their debts outweigh the intake?

-----------------------

The only way out of this vicious circle is that BFL may have (speculation) a contract with the VC to provide them repayment in hardware. Or money _and_ hardware.

If that is the case, the true hash rate is probably much higher than what the forum facing side realizes.

OR

It could just be that BFL ends up giving too many refunds and they decide to fold up long before they hit 100% returns.

If they spend 2.1 million on the fab and all other expenses.

If they take in 3.1 million from customer orders.

What happens when they have refunded up to 1.5 million? What do they do at that point? Continue to operate at a staggering loss? Even if they still retain 1.6, who wouldn't close up shop?

This is why I am starting to imagine they have a different deal set up with the VC. Otherwise the VC would get helluva nervous won't they?
legendary

They didn't lie, they had unexpected setbacks.  There's a difference.

But what I mean by my statement is that they aren't leaving to Cuba, or anywhere else for that matter.  If they were planning to leave with customers' money, they would have done so long ago.  Right now, they are issuing refunds, probably in greater quantity than any additional sales they are making at this point.  Which means it wouldn't make sense to stick around, since they would be losing money.

EITHER failing to deliver OR running with the money looks like a very real possibility.

Tick tock goes the clock. This feels more and more like waiting for BTCST to blow up in late July/early August.

Payments made for pre-orders of ASIC based products now under development should be considered non-refundable until products begin shipping or 1 January 2013, whichever is earlier

If BFL is going to implode, and in the worst possible way, it should happen shortly before this date.

Time will tell soon enough. If they ship, Inaba will have his apology.
Activity: 868
Merit: 1000
There are now 2.

bASIC and Avalon (and that project by Yojan).

(Deepbit and ASICMiner where are you?)

ASICMiner is here:

Update

There are several news:

1. The process of our rest layers are significantly faster, we are now in QC and expecting to have the wafer arrived at our packaging service next week. Then the slicing, packaging, and testing will start immediately.

Looks like my shares will be worth a lot thanks to BFL delaying and delaying and delaying and....  Smiley
Activity: 434
Merit: 250
That'd be an absolute hoot after all the ranting Josh has done about how BFL's design is so very efficient and everyone else's is just junk. Cheesy
Activity: 952
Merit: 1009
I wouldn't worry. If that whole "producing our own chips" thing doesn't pan out, they can now always buy them from ASICMINER, because tadaa, their wafers are done:

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.1394701

Merry Christmas.

I quite simply don't believe that. Josh is not stupid, he's a bunch of other things I won't get into right now, but he's not dumb. Therefore IMO continuing to suggest or even implying up until last week that BFL has any chance whatsoever to ship finished ASIC products in 2012 is intentional deception in my book and Josh/Inaba is not the only BFL employee that was misleading potential customers at that time. You're welcome to write your own book, but don't leave out the chapter about their FPGA launch, which was very similar to this one.
Activity: 295
On second thought, don't talk to me Inaba.

Talk to me when you actually have delivered 100 [ASIC] units of a product your company sells. Until that time shooo....I disown you as a legitimate vendor. Begone from my sight!

Edit: and uh, best of luck.

Wonderful PuertoLibre, does this mean you will leave this BFL thread and go to the actual ASIC vendor's thread? We will be deeply saddened by this loss.
legendary

Quoted for future reference at 29 October 2012, six weeks after the original date of this post:

Have you considered that you may be (knowingly or not) be furthering a scam?

Yes, and either the scam is so elaborate that we have shipped product and spent a ridiculous amount of money on the development of ASICs as to be almost unimaginable or we are actually legitimate.

Can you provide any convincing argument to the contrary?

Yes, check back with me in about 6 weeks.

pause to note that this should be trivially easy if ASICs are anywhere close to being shipped.

They are, however, you seem to be under the impression that the investment in this venture is trivial.  
It's not.  We will not be giving away free strategic information to our competition as to our business plans, technology, etc...
As much as you want it (and the competition wants it), it's simply not going to happen given the amounts of money involved in the development of our ASIC products.

If any of the whiny allegations are unfounded, you are hereby cordially encouraged to demonstrate it by directly confronting them.

Again, I will in ~6 weeks.  When we ship the ASICs can I expect a public apology from you as well in these forums or are you going to slink off with the rest of the people and try to forget what complete asses you've been?

Use this opportunity to crush the "crying whiners" under the heavy heel of the truth!

Then we can stop shouting, go about our business, and everyone will be happy for it.

Do you seriously believe this?  There is literally nothing, nothing I can post short of shipping out free ASIC devices that would satisfy the people of this forum.  Not a single thing.  If you believe otherwise, you are exceptionally deluded.

As it stands, I think you are lying, or being lied to, or some combination thereof.

Come clean.

Great, come the shipping of the ASICs I expect a public written apology to both myself and BFL.

It's now been - twelve - weeks.
legendary
Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005
Quote from: bfl_josh
Chinese New Year is not going to be a problem for a variety of reasons, so don't worry about that.

Translation: Chinese New Year won't introduce any unforseen delays, because we don't intend to release anything ever. Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.

I will be heading east at some point to babysit the process, as soon as I have dates for that, I'll let everyone know.

Translation: I'll soon be smoking cigars and drinking champagne from the navels of exotic beauties in Havana, Cuba, suckers. I'll be posting pictures of lighting my cigars with your dollars.
Doubtful.  If it was a scam, they would have left a long while back.  They are getting more refunds than orders at this point, so if it was a scam, by continuing to sit on it, they'd be losing money.  What would be the sense in that?

...umm capturing a market they couldn't have captured honsestly? By repeatedly lying about shipping dates they've increased their share of the ASIC market dramatically while locking in pre-orders to them that would otherwise have gone to competitors.

But what I mean by my statement is that they aren't leaving to Cuba, or anywhere else for that matter.  If they were planning to leave with customers' money, they would have done so long ago.  Right now, they are issuing refunds, probably in greater quantity than any additional sales they are making at this point.  Which means it wouldn't make sense to stick around, since they would be losing money.
Activity: 588
Merit: 500
firstbits.com/1kznfw
If you search my posts you'll find that I've repeatedly stated that I expect BFL to ship ASIC products eventually. That is I do not expect they'll "Vleiside" everyone that's pre-ordered with them and not received a refund yet. I do believe however that they deserve a scammer tag for blatantly and repeatedly lying about shipping dates...or "scheduled shipments" or whatever other word game they're currently using to deceive.

I think I may have misunderstood the tone of the message I quoted. I've removed "yours included".
Chinese New Year is not going to be a problem for a variety of reasons, so don't worry about that.

Translation: Chinese New Year won't introduce any unforseen delays, because we don't intend to release anything ever. Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.

I will be heading east at some point to babysit the process, as soon as I have dates for that, I'll let everyone know.

Translation: I'll soon be smoking cigars and drinking champagne from the navels of exotic beauties in Havana, Cuba, suckers. I'll be posting pictures of lighting my cigars with your dollars.
Doubtful.  If it was a scam, they would have left a long while back.  They are getting more refunds than orders at this point, so if it was a scam, by continuing to sit on it, they'd be losing money.  What would be the sense in that?

...umm capturing a market they couldn't have captured honsestly? By repeatedly lying about shipping dates they've increased their share of the ASIC market dramatically while locking in pre-orders to them that would otherwise have gone to competitors.
Pages:
Jump to: