Pages:
Author

Topic: [ANN] 0pticoin (0TC) - Release Date: May 15, 2013 - Postponed ~1 month [ANN] - page 6. (Read 18824 times)

Activity: 630
Merit: 502
The simplest solution of all is just to make the reward be based upon the difficulty for solving the block. Perhaps just multiply the current difficulty by a factor of 20 but have a ceiling of whatever you want your maximum coin reward to be.

Example starting difficulty = 0.25 / Maximum reward = 50 0TC

0.25 * 20 = 5 0TC (starting reward)

Difficulty then doubles to 0.5:

0.5 * 20 = 10 0TC

etc....

OK now lets fast forward to difficulty of 4:

4 * 20 = 80 0TC

This is clearly over our ceiling of 50 0TC so we just change the value to 50 0TC instead.

A method such as this would not allow the early adopters to horde a ridiculous amount of 0TC but it would not penalise them for coming on board early either and it's clear from the outset that the reward is based upon the difficulty of solving the block. Of course you could use any calculation you wanted, I'm just throwing an idea that I feel would be better for everyone.

Even if the starting point was set ridiculously low this would still work as long as the starting difficulty not exactly zero otherwise you'd get a divide by zero error.

Nods Cheesy Might as well set diff at 0.000001 something Smiley

Even this would work but the initial reward based upon multiplying by a factor of 20 would be 0.00002 0TC Cheesy
legendary
Activity: 2142
Merit: 1009
For people who only read the Topic and didn't bother reading the first post:

0pticoin is an experimental Litecoin branch and it is intended to be a "sandbox" environment to test building my first alt-coin and is a pre-cursor to my final intended product

Bitcoin in beta yet but we use it to buy dollars. Why shouldn't we use 0pticoin for the same?
Activity: 266
Merit: 251
For people who only read the Topic and didn't bother reading the first post:

0pticoin is an experimental Litecoin branch and it is intended to be a "sandbox" environment to test building my first alt-coin and is a pre-cursor to my final intended product
Activity: 28
Merit: 0
How do i do to mine this when its released?
Have cgminer and using .bat file to change the settings. I guess there wount be any pool to connect to...
So what do?

Thanks!
Activity: 196
Merit: 100

Nods Cheesy Might as well set diff at 0.000001 something Smiley

Anyone who releases a coin at 0 difficulty at this point deserves to be kicked in the nuts.

That is why initial difficulty will be ~0.25 which at 350KH/s would be finding 1 block/hour.

I chose this difficulty in hopes it would be high enough to keep mining farms from raping it while keeping it low enough that cpu miners can still mine it.

Okay so what is your true long-term target time between blocks?

Because no real miner has only one 5870, they are more likely to have 3.5MHash than 350khash, and there are likely to be one-to-a-dozen dozen miners at least. Your one hour per block would be one per 30 seconds so fast that you wouldn't have time to realise it because the next would be 15 seconds and the next 5 to 7.5 seconds.

Then seeing that is it not afterall going to take all day to clear the zero-reward blocks they'll consider throwing some real power at the problem, and it'll be the same old same old many blocks per second all over again. We don't even know how frakking many blocks per second the instamined launches were, just that at a second or less per block 99+% of blocks were orphans... Could the actual rate have been closer to a hundred blocks per second than one block per second?

-MarkM-

Activity: 686
Merit: 500
Whoa, there are a lot of cats in this wall.
This release will be at 4AM AEST.

You need to think of your Australian counterparts, bro.  Cry

Set your alarm.  It's always 4AM somewhere. 
Activity: 42
Merit: 0
This release will be at 4AM AEST.

You need to think of your Australian counterparts, bro.  Cry
legendary
Activity: 2940
Merit: 1090
Anyone who releases a coin at 0 difficulty at this point deserves to be kicked in the nuts.

That is why initial difficulty will be ~0.25 which at 350KH/s would be finding 1 block/hour.

I chose this difficulty in hopes it would be high enough to keep mining farms from raping it while keeping it low enough that cpu miners can still mine it.

Okay so what is your true long-term target time between blocks?

Because no real miner has only one 5870, they are more likely to have 3.5MHash than 350khash, and there are likely to be one-to-a-dozen dozen miners at least. Your one hour per block would be one per 30 seconds so fast that you wouldn't have time to realise it because the next would be 15 seconds and the next 5 to 7.5 seconds.

Then seeing that is it not afterall going to take all day to clear the zero-reward blocks they'll consider throwing some real power at the problem, and it'll be the same old same old many blocks per second all over again. We don't even know how frakking many blocks per second the instamined launches were, just that at a second or less per block 99+% of blocks were orphans... Could the actual rate have been closer to a hundred blocks per second than one block per second?

-MarkM-

legendary
Activity: 1442
Merit: 1000
The test daemons are running.

The Feathercoin test net will sync up and there is already activity on it as it was a test net I was using for testing purposes.

The 0pticoin test net is up, however still trying to get the first block so all the clients show synced.

The IP address is 84.200.84.76

To have a client/daemon run in testnet mode either add:

Code:
-testnet to the end of the command line start
or just add:

Code:
testnet=1 to the .conf file for the coin

Code:
TO get your client/daemon to automatically look at the IP above for a peer:

Add:

addnode=84.200.84.76

to the coins .conf file

Just mined 20K testnet Feathercoins if you need them for testing Smiley
legendary
so tomorrow the mining will yield Coins with no value?

Correct.

The current BPH/Diff-Retarget scheme should generate ~960 blocks/day so there will basically be no rewards for day 1 so everyone has a fair chance to review the code, download the client, test/configure their miners, etc...
mmm lets me see no rewards... that means you want us suckers to do or the early work to get it running smoothly so the big fish and there mining farms can switch over and clean up the instant the we finish the free block mining GOOD ONE i am so excited i am waiting for the opportunity to waste all my time, effort and power. Plus the biggest bonus of all is i get to miss out on mining other PAYING coins to give you and the big fish and there mining farms a free ride!!!!!! Think about it for fuck sake!!

Yeah that sounds about right.

Giving a whole day of blocks might even lead to the difficulty going lower if the difficulty adustment system is of a kind that can react inside of a single day and few people bother to waste expensive hashing power on zero-reward blocks.

Better would be to try to make justone single first block take all day to mine, because as soon as the big boys arrive even that will let them spam out blocks fast, likely even faster than your target-time.

Hmm even then that means they could decide to heck with it lets get that one day over with, so jump it even if that first block has no reward, just to get to the second block.

Which likely points at a probable answer to why anyone would mine the initial 1000 blocks if they have no rewards...

...The answer seems likely to be "because in five minutes they will have those 1000 blocks done and start reaping rewards", because the amount of hashing power they can muster and the amount you imagine they will point at your chain are wildly out of scale with each other.

-MarkM-
legendary
How does it calculate the chance for x2/x5 block rewards?

I may just recompile it and give myself a 100% chance
simply base it off last blocks hash? or last 5 blocks? it's not like there's gonana be a rand()%100 == 1

If one block's whatever is the seed for the next block, everyone knows upon publication of a block whether or not the next block will be lucky, thus can all gangbang the chain looking for that lucky block then go back to whatever they normally mine once it is found.

-MarkM-
legendary
UPDATE:

Changed the seed for random number generation from nHeight to nTime. I was originally going to use hashMerkleRoot for the seed but there were compatibility issues between using "uint256" and "unsigned int" together. nTime should suffice for random number generation.

So a miner can try numerous possible values of nTime looking for a "lucky" one before wasting time on hashing the block, since there is much less point in solving a normal block than a lucky one so best to first check whether the legal range of nTime you can play with offers a lucky block reward...

-MarkM-
legendary
why not release it with a crazy difficulty at the beginning,
then such bitbar-scams will not happen. in fact dificulty will go down if needed,
remember satoshi took days just to mine the genesis block, you should target at least that kind of difficulty,
look, just because the coin will generate blocks every 90 seconds doesn't mean the first days it has to generate blocks every 90 seconds,
could be a fair innovation.

Well, the starting difficulty I've chosen is already higher than litecoin, junkcoin, smallchange and the other litecoin alts I've seen.

With a starting higher difficulty and a well thought out difficulty re-target algorithm (I will likely add upper/lower limits to the amount the difficulty can adjust each re-target period and possibly change the actual re-target interval itself) I believe the coin will start with a very stable network and I believe it will hold in stability as the network fluctuates.

And if Satoshi generated his genesis block the same way I did then it wouldn't have taken him 6 days, it would have taken him an hour. I'm not sure if he used the same method as me (as suggested per sacarlson's multicoin github), but I believe it is a distinct possibility.

Bitcoin was >> 32, not >> 20. Litecoin seems to have been the instigator of the whole "instamining" fad by deliberately lowering the initial difficulty despite the fact the it was obvious they were not likely to only be able to find a handful of fellow miners to help them mine it during its first few days, months, years of life. Basically they started this whole instamining scam that others have taken to even further extremes and basically said "this scam has been pulled before, it is a traditional scam, those scammers did it before me and those others before them" as an "excuse" for doing it.

Also, when litecoin was launched they seem to have actually believed that GPUs would not be applicable. We know now that they are. Plus we also know that any miner who has less than two of them isn't a serious miner, and that is per rig, not total in his entire farm.

So probably initial difficulty needs to be shifted from where bitcoin had it rather than where the scammily-launched litecoin had it. and by enough to account for at least a few dozen miners with at least a few rigs each with at least a few GPUs each, most of those GPUs being more powerful than those people had farms of back when litecoin launched.

Even then the blocks will probably be spawned way faster than target, even with difficulty far too high for CPU miners to compete any coin lately that appears more profitable than others gets massive amounts of hashing power.

You should probably try to make it difficult enough that it will take a whole day per block, because no matter how much hashing you think miners will point at it at launch  it is very likely that sixteen, thirytytwo, sixtyfour or more times as much hashing as you imagine will hit it. Actually maybe 128 or 256 times as much as you imagine seems very likely even.

(Especially since you seem to systematically underestimate the required difficulty setting.)

-MarkM-
legendary
Activity: 1064
The test daemons are running.

The Feathercoin test net will sync up and there is already activity on it as it was a test net I was using for testing purposes.

The 0pticoin test net is up, however still trying to get the first block so all the clients show synced.

The IP address is 84.200.84.76

To have a client/daemon run in testnet mode either add:

Code:
-testnet to the end of the command line start
or just add:

Code:
testnet=1 to the .conf file for the coin

Code:
TO get your client/daemon to automatically look at the IP above for a peer:

Add:

addnode=84.200.84.76

to the coins .conf file
Activity: 168
I will do what I am trying to work on now which is limit the number of blocks a user can find during "x" amount of time at "y" difficulty. This way users with high hashrates will be limited on the number of blocks they can find at lower difficulties.
Cool if there is a vote on how it is to be done i vote for this if it is possible to implement, it should prevent a 51% attack a little better also
Activity: 115
Merit: 10
legendary
I will put a test net up for feathercoin and the current code at c4n10 github for 0pticoin.

I am placing theses on one of the old backup VPS for cryptocoinexplorer that I am not using right now.

I will publish IP and quick guide to using a test net when they are up and synced (or with a new chain, doesn't matter as it is just test net)

Activity: 294
Merit: 250
You cannot stop early adopters getting more coin than those who wait until it has been excepted as a ligiet coin on the exchanges and mining pools. So you really need the early adopters to make it work or to build interest from mining pools and exchanges.

ok so having them all mature at the same time might let to a pump and dump in month well 2 things with that the first is it would have to be on a exchange first for this to happen, second who say they all have to mature in 30 days just a idea, ideas evolve make the blocks of random size the smaller the block say 100 coin takes 2 weeks to mature up to 500 coins that take 6 weeks to mature. You could make it last like this for a week as people will know that they have coins coming for there time and effort.

I wonder how others would view this type of idea?Huh

I can't stop early adopters from gaining more coins than those who aren't but I don't need to encourage early adopter exploitation either. Just because early adopters are going to get more coins by mining at a lower difficulty doesn't mean I should add to the problem by also increasing the rewards for those low difficulty blocks.

As mentioned earlier, there WILL be an exchange, pool and forum for these coins. I am in the process of dev'ing the site where they will be hosted right now and expect to have all of them available by the end of the month.

I am really not worried about getting people to mine it the first week. There has been plenty of interest expressed already and I think the forum has shown that a coin doesn't need gimmicks to get people to mine it, it seems people will mine just about anything. Bytecoin made absolutely ZERO changes from the original bitcoin code and it took off pretty quickly. Alt's are released on a weekly basis with nothing new, innovative or creative and even the coins that have all sorts of issues and aren't accepted by the mainstream community are still being mined by other people.

The first week/month is not my concern. My concern is keeping the coin viable as time progresses. Increased early adopter rewards are fun for the first week, but in the long run it is almost always detrimental to the coin's overall image as people view it as quick pump-n-dump scam coin that catered to the early adopters (a.k.a. the hoarders).

The high starting difficulty addresses nothing. Large gpu power can still hoard coins if they choose as they command large percentage of hash power. Low difficulty due to latency issues might give advantage to some solo miners with better connection and most importantly they can solo min at low difficulty. At high difficulty when say 1 to 3 gpu hash take more than 30 min ( re-target value) to solve block they are likely to get many many stales  - block solved in 31 min will be at lower diff than current and hence rejected.

I would start at lowest difficulty.

I am not going to start at lowest difficulty. I will either adjust the scrypt algo so it can not be immediately mined by gpu or I will do what I am trying to work on now which is limit the number of blocks a user can find during "x" amount of time at "y" difficulty. This way users with high hashrates will be limited on the number of blocks they can find at lower difficulties.

First time miners:

If you want to get a head start on setting up for solo mining, just set up for any of the scrypt coins (LTC,NVC,FTC,BBQ,BTB,CHNcoin) tonight using any one of many guides.

Here are a couple to get you started:

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/consolidated-litecoin-mining-guide-for-5xxx-6xxx-and-7xxx-gpus-117221

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/tutorial-solo-mining-litecoins-guide-windows-83371

With new coins often times the blocks are being found so fast that directly connecting to the daemon to mine will result in alot of stale work.

I posted a guide on setting up a private pushpool to use long poll to avoid that issue. The guide is for FTC, but other then port numbers, which I normally just set in the daemon config. to an easy to remember number, set up is the same for all scrypt based coins.

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.1867412

Unless the ports are being changed with the final code (and even if they are, I change it to an easy number anyway), setting up either way will have you ready for tomorrow.

Very cool, thank you for providing this.

The port numbers which 0TC will use are mentioned in OP.

rpcport=9707
port=9708
testnet=19708
Activity: 196
legendary
If needed I can turn on a couple of test net daemons on cryptocoinexplorer for whatever coins that are wanted.

This will allow new miners to see blocks being found...etc
Pages:
Jump to: