Pages:
Author

Topic: [ANN] BitShares 2.0 - page 47. (Read 153001 times)

Activity: 504
Merit: 500
June 11, 2015, 02:19:09 PM
If you want to ask Dan Larimer your own questions in front of a live global audience, you can do so every Friday at 10 am EDT.

This Hangout is w/ Bytemaster of BitShares SuperDAC

Please ask questions here.  

Follow the twitter: @Beyond_Bitcoin
Retweet This Week's Hangout [ANN]!

Or better yet--Join us!  For updates on upcoming events, attend, record and report live from our Mumble Server!
legendary
Activity: 910
Merit: 1000
June 11, 2015, 10:53:11 AM
i don't know the full story of bitshares. can someone elaborate? i just know it was rebranded from protoshares right? also a question to why?

Here is a link about the Origin of BitShares.
https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php?topic=14019.msg182300#msg182300

everyone keeps saying they are comminist type coin. can some one explain that or why it is not?

I believe you should do your own research(You have a lot of reading to do Smiley) and stop listening to "everyone".

Activity: 350
Merit: 251
June 11, 2015, 10:17:13 AM
i don't know the full story of bitshares. can someone elaborate? i just know it was rebranded from protoshares right? also a question to why?

honestly they seem to have unique properties in a coin. but it seems they are targeting mainly financial applications that has to do with trading.

everyone keeps saying they are comminist type coin. can some one explain that or why it is not?
June 11, 2015, 08:10:56 AM
Shortly after our (first) Big Announcement on Monday, Bytemaster held a live global town-hall meeting to answer everyone's questions.  It went on for two hours.  Here's Part 2:

legendary
Activity: 1162
Merit: 1042
White Male Libertarian Bro
June 11, 2015, 05:07:48 AM
Why not join forces with NXT and create a even better platform together instead of competing head on? Clearly nxt is leading on the 2.0 front. Why waste resources when you can work together.

God... no.  Don't attach this timebomb to NXT.

Olive branch anyone?

Smiley

Nice try Chairman Stanlin, but some of us are on to your schemes of communist crypto domination.

TOTAL WAR AGAINST ALL THE CENTRALIZING CORPORATIST/COMMUNIST CONSPIRATORS!
legendary
Activity: 1162
Merit: 1042
White Male Libertarian Bro
June 11, 2015, 04:44:08 AM
June 10, 2015, 10:38:46 PM

Did I mention Dynamic Account Permissions?

"Are you pondering what I'm pondering, Pinky?"
"I think so, Brain..."

June 10, 2015, 08:06:40 PM
Here's the latest Max Wright interview of Dan Larimer about BitShares 2.0...

The BitShares 2.0 High Performance Engine

Just five minutes in a daily series of interviews about each new feature coming one a day for 7 days.

June 10, 2015, 07:25:51 PM
I like the approach and the vision of bts...but it has had one of the slowest most memory hungry  software clients I have ever used. (windows download version)

Please come up with an online trading interface that is smooth, fast, secure and reliable. (like rippletrade?) I know that an unofficial one has been in the betaworks, and ive tested it, not too bad.

When you do have a reliable wallet/trading interface, let me know...as I really like the bitshares concept.

H.

You are about to see a Cambrian Explosion of better and better wallets and other interfaces of all kinds.  That is because BitShares 2.0 provides incentives for third party developers with a share of the profits from every account their gorgeous new interface is used to create.  (!)

Referral Rewards Program

This means that the ultimate winner of the most popular interface competition could take home a lion's share of all BitShares revenue.  (!!)

Yes we have our own cleaner wallets, including very lightweight wallets, getting ready for release with the upgrade.  
Yes we have greatly optimized the memory usage with the new industrial grade software from Crytonomex.  
But the biggest thing we have added is huge incentives to attract third party talent and innovation.

... and that should make all the difference.

One example is BitSapphire.  Their Moonstone wallet will support both Bitcoin and BitShares in one integrated interface (plus a whole lot more cool features described in interviews below).  THAT's the kind of innovation we expect to explode.  

Max Wright's Moonstone interview

Let's Talk Bitcoin Moonstone interview
Activity: 168
Merit: 100
June 10, 2015, 06:19:04 PM
I like the approach and the vision of bts...but it has had one of the slowest most memory hungry  software clients I have ever used. (windows download version)

Please come up with an online trading interface that is smooth, fast, secure and reliable. (like rippletrade?) I know that an unofficial one has been in the betaworks, and ive tested it, not too bad.

When you do have a reliable wallet/trading interface, let me know...as I really like the bitshares concept.

H.
legendary
Activity: 1806
Merit: 1003
June 10, 2015, 04:32:36 PM
Can't wait to get my hand on the new BTS client.
June 10, 2015, 11:10:10 AM
June 10, 2015, 09:29:22 AM
Shortly after our (first) Big Announcement on Monday, Bytemaster held a live global town-hall meeting to answer everyone's questions.  It went on for two hours.  Here's Part 1:

legendary
Activity: 1764
Merit: 1018
June 10, 2015, 03:22:44 AM
Is there some kind of import functionality in one of these new wallets whereby once we manage to find our Protoshares wallets we can tell these new wallets the filepaths to our Protoshares wallets and have them import or whatever it is that they do to get our appropriate shares?

Has that time come yet?

Also you can check your shares in other BitShares DAC's here: http://www1.agsexplorer.com
Go to Balance menu and put your PTS address, or PTS/BTC address if you donate to AGS.
legendary
Activity: 3976
Merit: 1421
Life, Love and Laughter...
June 09, 2015, 11:28:00 PM
It's looking good tbh.
legendary
Activity: 2940
Merit: 1090
June 09, 2015, 09:47:52 PM
This stuff is starting to sound interesting enough that it might even be time to go digging around in old archives looking for those Protoshares wallets that we were all mining into long long ago that purportedly were going to give us all shares of all these new developments.

Is there some kind of import functionality in one of these new wallets whereby once we manage to find our Protoshares wallets we can tell these new wallets the filepaths to our Protoshares wallets and have them import or whatever it is that they do to get our appropriate shares?

I seem to recall though some flurry of noise/rumour some time back claiming that the developers had done some kind of ripoff or dilution or breach of agreement or something so that maybe our Protoshares are not actually worth much if anything anymore? The percentage they were supposed to be of the new chain(s) was changed or something maybe?

It was all kind of hard to follow, let alone to figure out which was trolls and which was genuine bad faith by the developers, or even whether in fact any dilution did actually occur.

Which is why it seemed best to just archive all the wallets until some future time when things became clearer and some clear path to moving forward to the newest systems emerged...

Has that time come yet?

Have Protoshares (or more correctly, the value they give in all the later chains derived from them / following them) finally become worth enough that it might be worth someone's while to look into moving forward with them into the new systems?

-MarkM-
June 09, 2015, 09:25:14 PM
June 09, 2015, 03:15:00 PM
BitShareholders get to vote on how many witnesses (signing nodes similar to low cost miners) they want to pay for.  In BitShares 1.0 that was hardwired to 101 which meant that every node was guaranteed to be signing less than 1% of the blocks, in a rotating random order.

To become a signer you need to earn a public reputation in order to get elected.  To get fired, all you have to do is get caught breaking the rules once and your reputation is destroyed.  Now you have to start over, earning a new reputation.  So nodes can be fired and are limited to only one function:  faithfully include transactions and sign blocks.  Failure to do that is 100% visible to everybody.

Compare that to Bitcoin. The top three or so companies sign over 51% of the blocks and therefore their three CEO's effectively control the whole network.  You can't fire them because they still control all that hash power.   Pools don't distribute control, they just distribute workload.  Not the same thing.

Which is really more decentralized?

Decentralization has its costs so arguing that you have more independent nodes has diminishing returns. BitShareholders must decide how many independent node reputations are enough to secure their network.  We think it will turn out to be somewhat less than 101, but that decision rests with the voters and their elected expert delegates.  It's a simple question of marginal utility, what is the incremental cost vs payoff of going from 101 to 102? 

Here are two articles that provide more detailed answers, although they have not been updated to reflect BitShares 2.0 advances.

Decentralization, Scalability, and Fault Tolerance

The Minimal Requirement for Decentralization

Here's an excerpt so you can decide if you want to read the rest:

We tend to get three different attributes mixed up causing endless confusion even among men of good will.
  • Throughput Scalability
  • Fault Tolerance
  • Decentralized Control
These are three different concepts.

Fault Tolerance

We are saying 101 highly-reliable, tested and proven, hand-picked parts dispersed across the globe and selected by the entire owner population is sufficient redundancy to achieve reliable fault tolerance. The only thing those parts can do is – do their job to spec. We can observe their performance and swap them out in ten seconds if they don’t perform to spec. So, really, they are just interchangeable slave machines. Producing the blocks is a mindless task.

Selecting which parts make up the machine is where the power lies.

Decentralized Control

The total decentralized population of the all owners participate in selecting the most reliable machines to run the network. Those 101 parts have no power over the owners. 101 dispersed redundant parts is a decentralization red herring! That’s not where control lies. Those 101 chosen nodes can be completely reconfigured or replaced by the fully decentralized participating owners in 10 seconds.

BitShares has decentralized p2p control
of a distributed, fault-tolerant computer
implementing an autonomous unmanned company
running a decentralized crypto currency exchange
which produces stable smart-coin products.

Throughput Scalability

Any of the 101 nodes can scale up by adding parallel machines, side chains, and a thousand inventions we haven’t dreamed of. When we get to a billion owners and need a thousand machines per node, we can do that. It will still be decentralized enough to ensure that the 101 (now bigger) parts that make up the distributed, fault-tolerant machine will perform their mindless slave jobs reliability - from positions scattered across 24 time zones.

Those million decentralized owners do not want to have to think about managing more than 101 redundant parts to their machine. 101 is plenty, maybe too many, for the average owner to keep track of how they are performing. Adding more parts reduces the degree to which each part can be vetted and therefore reduces the system’s reliability. Total reliability is a combination of node redundancy and node reliability via reputation-based vetting.

In BitShares, absolute control is fully decentralized down to the votes of every single atomic BTS satoshi. You can’t get more decentralized than that.
legendary
Activity: 924
Merit: 1000
June 09, 2015, 02:07:11 PM
Why not join forces with NXT and create a even better platform together instead of competing head on? Clearly nxt is leading on the 2.0 front. Why waste resources when you can work together.

Actually, that's not as inconceivable as it first seemed.

The software that BitShares 2.0 has been offered by Cryptonomex.com has enough excess block signing capacity to sign every block currently produced by all leading chains on coinmarketcap with enough left over to handle the current transaction load of Visa or Master Card.

If you don't mind, could you point me to an illustration of the system architecture? I don't want to reflexively use the word "centralized," but you have to admit...the typical suggestions for blockchain "improvement" rely on the recipe "all we need is a little more centralization."

At least, after they've been modified subsequent to the debunking.  Wink
Pages:
Jump to: