Author

Topic: [ANN] Blacknet | IBO for BlackCoin | New code | PoS | No ICO - page 1163. (Read 2509934 times)

Activity: 56
Merit: 0
So in summary. Mintcoin has an attack demonstrated against it which proves it is vulnerable.

Blackcoin has suffered no attacks because it is PoS only and no known attacks have been made against the protocol. Yes an exchange was hacked but lots of exchanges get hacked especially bitcoin ones.

wasn't there a hard fork that coincided with people losing a lot of blackcoins or was that just around the same time? I really am curious about what happened as I know the exchange was blamed

The exchange used a stupid feature which has been around in the clients since bitcoin. That messed up their user's balances within their blackcoin client. That's how users withdrew more than they had and could have negative balance. The total wallet, however, did not have negative balance.

Ohh I see I just remember a bunch of issues with blackcoin wallet balances and figured it was all connected
Activity: 882
Merit: 517
cloverdex.io
So in summary. Mintcoin has an attack demonstrated against it which proves it is vulnerable.

Blackcoin has suffered no attacks because it is PoS only and no known attacks have been made against the protocol. Yes an exchange was hacked but lots of exchanges get hacked especially bitcoin ones.

wasn't there a hard fork that coincided with people losing a lot of blackcoins or was that just around the same time? I really am curious about what happened as I know the exchange was blamed

The exchange used a stupid feature which has been around in the clients since bitcoin. That messed up their user's balances within their blackcoin client. That's how users withdrew more than they had and could have negative balance. The total wallet, however, did not have negative balance.

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

from what i remember from the tweets, the update went smooth as silk at mintpal. cr.. that's another story.

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

+1 Nice how few words are required to sum it all up. Thank you.
Activity: 126
haha.. think of all the noise over the next couple of days as bear traps fellas. sure, people will try to push the price down a bit before black friday. i'm 100,000+ deep on BC and feeling good.
Activity: 14

legendary
Activity: 1484
Merit: 1005
rat4 wrote you that for those atacks BC POS is not valuable how many times he need wrote the same ?

Writing that you don't think attack vectors exist does not mean that attack vectors do not actually exist.  Replies of "that will not happen" are denials of the rich conceptual history and well noted theoretical problems of proof-of-stake systems.
legendary
Activity: 1302
Merit: 1002
https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.6034076
https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.6034634

There are problems in fundamental and horrible ways at the moment.

Umm you were here 9 months ago saying PPCoin is doomed, it's flawed etc.

Made lots of noise about it.

Nothing happened.  Smiley

Nothing needs to happen as long as PoW is chugging along -- but then it's just another PoW coin.  The PoS system it is eventually supposed to become as reward goes to 0 is deeply flawed.

I would anticipate BlackCoin to demonstrate this, and eventually leave rat4 scrambling to apply patch after patch as the system breaks in new and exciting ways.

Told OP it was a bad idea, was ignored by OP in the Blackcoin thread. If you don't understand the code you're modifying, don't muck with it.

These attacks are not applicable to BlackCoin. Guess why.

rat4 wrote you that for those atacks BC POS is not valuable how many times he need wrote the same ?

Nothing needs to happen as long as PoW is chugging along -- but then it's just another PoW coin.  The PoS system it is eventually supposed to become as reward goes to 0 is deeply flawed.

I would anticipate BlackCoin to demonstrate this, and eventually leave rat4 scrambling to apply patch after patch as the system breaks in new and exciting ways.

that doesn't sound good
legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 523
CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!
so its almost black friday.. the train is not really leaving yet in advance. I understand that the multipool should drive the price up (if it can) but there seems not a lot of interest yet.
legendary
Hence my 'Purely from a PoW/Pos Hybrid perspective'.

I understand there are some PoS issues which clearly you have a greater understanding of than 99.9% of the people on this thread, myself included. I hope these can be addressed appropriately, and as an onlooker and potential investor of any coin am keeping my eye on it. Can't devs/code gurus get together and whittle down the actual issues together? Isn't that what open source is all about?

Well, yes, but the issue is a severe one and not easily fixed.  Greg Maxwell (the bitcoin core dev whose IQ is probably above 180) couldn't figure it out after spending months trying, Vitalik Buterin (an Honour's student in maths who dropped out of the University of Waterloo to work on Ethereum) is also now struggling very hard with how to solve the issue with his Slasher algorithm, etc...  Pure PoS is a *very* hard problem to solve effectively, and the only reasonable solutions for pure PoS are coming in a soon to be published scientific paper I'm not really at liberty to talk about.  The first author of that paper is even a little wary about what he's proposed, though.
Activity: 14

Nothing happened.  Smiley
Activity: 112
Merit: 10

Could you imagine a publicity stunt with 100+ pretty women all wearing BlackCoin T-Shirts in Times Square NYC on a Friday? "BlackCoin Friday"!

When is this happening?? !!!!  Grin
 Cool

Has anyone looked into doing some tshirts?

Yes I have looked into it already Smiley... Once I make good on the promises I already made, and earn the trust of the community, we can easily set that up. During the Summer companies do similar publicity stunts/promotions in Manhattan all the time. The girls would do it for free or for very little money if they know they are going to be photographed by press.
ahh ok, good to hear  Smiley
Activity: 427
Merit: 252

Hence my 'Purely from a PoW/Pos Hybrid perspective'.

I understand there are some PoS issues which clearly you have a greater understanding of than 99.9% of the people on this thread, myself included. I hope these can be addressed appropriately, and as an onlooker and potential investor of any coin am keeping my eye on it. Can't devs/code gurus get together and whittle down the actual issues together? Isn't that what open source is all about?
Activity: 168

Could you imagine a publicity stunt with 100+ pretty women all wearing BlackCoin T-Shirts in Times Square NYC on a Friday? "BlackCoin Friday"!

Cool

Yes I have looked into it already Smiley... Once I make good on the promises I already made, and earn the trust of the community, we can easily set that up. During the Summer companies do similar publicity stunts/promotions in Manhattan all the time. The girls would do it for free or for very little money if they know they are going to be photographed by press.
legendary
Activity: 112
Merit: 10

Cool

so if mintcoin can be attacked cant blackcoin suffer the same or a similar attack. We already know blackcoin was forked once and that alot of people lost alot of coins because of it
Jump to: