Pages:
Author

Topic: [Ann] CoinDL - Buy with Bitcoin: Now only 1% fee on Coupon & Gift Codes - page 11. (Read 21539 times)

legendary
Activity: 1102
Merit: 1014
i wonder - is it ok to sell public domain audio for a fee? from a legal perspective it should be ok, but what does the TOS of coindl say about this?

i have noticed that there was at least one upload of librivox.

to get a nice starting inventory for coindl, someone could gather, catalogue, keyword, proper ID3 tag public domain work, and offer them for minimal fees (say 0.1 BTC)
This would be fine, as long as you are legally licensed to sell the works you can put it on coinDL. To avoid spamming the catalog, it might be best to try it with a smaller number of items as a test and see how the sales go before diving into a massive project.
also, one more suggestion that might involve some serious programming: when downloading multiple files the site should offer a consolidated QR code where you can pay for all items at once, and multiple files should come as a download simultanously
Thanks for this idea, Yankee mentioned it before and I think it's a good one which we'll look to implement soon.
Activity: 523
Merit: 500
Go to music program forums and tell their users they can earn bitcoins by selling their music.

You will reach lots of musicians some of those are kickass.

Programs such as:

FLStudio
Renoise
Energy XT
Reason
Logic
Qbase

etc

Activity: 668
Merit: 501
i wonder - is it ok to sell public domain audio for a fee? from a legal perspective it should be ok, but what does the TOS of coindl say about this?

i have noticed that there was at least one upload of librivox.

to get a nice starting inventory for coindl, someone could gather, catalogue, keyword, proper ID3 tag public domain work, and offer them for minimal fees (say 0.1 BTC)

also, one more suggestion that might involve some serious programming: when downloading multiple files the site should offer a consolidated QR code where you can pay for all items at once, and multiple files should come as a download simultanously
Activity: 560
Merit: 501
kiba: You wouldn't make a good politician.
legendary
kiba, you have been emailed.
legendary
Activity: 980
If you want to help the site buying something is a good start. Even better is to mention coinDL to a friend that you've got on IM or the phone and buy something for them while they watch (they can IM or email you the address and amount and the process should work just as fast).

-weex

In all seriousness, is email a horrible way for you to interact with you? I am still waiting for your response. Don't have any digital goods I can sell on the site, but I can code.
legendary
You're just not gonna do it one musician at a time.

CoinDL needs to approach music clearinghouses, MP3.com and other entities that can offer a huge libraries of music.  Because CoinDL is a startup, presumably you would have to give up a big cut of the per-download price, to avoid paying large up-front charges for such bulk library purchases.
I agree, but at the very least, having some indie-musicians on the site can show bigger entities that it is a viable and workable model.

I'm pleased with our progress so far with over 80 items available, over 30 suppliers registered and 2000 visits in the first week. This is with a site and service that have come virtually out of nowhere.

As you can tell from the suggestions, we're far from polished and have quite a bit of work to do before any significantly large business would consider partnering with us. For them it will be not just a matter of, "Oh hey Bitcoin, gimme some of that!" They will want to know that we can be trusted, the size of the market that will be opening up to them and to what extent folks are ready to buy.

Before that time, we'll be improving the site steadily and supporting suppliers as best we can with a range of tools to help them sell their digital wares.

If you want to help the site buying something is a good start. Even better is to mention coinDL to a friend that you've got on IM or the phone and buy something for them while they watch (they can IM or email you the address and amount and the process should work just as fast).

-weex
legendary

In viewing the new releases, it is not obvious what type of media each item is.  Is the entry a music download or a photo, a video or a ringtone?

Also, if I could add a filter by to see only new releases for a specific type of media (e.g., music items only) that would be useful.

+1.  For every item, you should display the filetype (.mp4 or .avi) and filesize.

The category is now displayed on the New releases page and for related items for each item. I would encourage suppliers to mention their filesize and filetype in their item descriptions until an automated way to do it is coded.
legendary
Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

CoinDL needs to approach music clearinghouses, MP3.com and other entities that can offer a huge libraries of music.  Because CoinDL is a startup, presumably you would have to give up a big cut of the per-download price, to avoid paying large up-front charges for such bulk library purchases.
I agree, but at the very least, having some indie-musicians on the site can show bigger entities that it is a viable and workable model.
legendary
Activity: 1596
Merit: 1091

legendary
Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005
I've emailed a buddy musician of mine to see if he's interested in putting any music up.  He does some pretty hardcore stuff at times...
Activity: 308
Merit: 250

In viewing the new releases, it is not obvious what type of media each item is.  Is the entry a music download or a photo, a video or a ringtone?

Also, if I could add a filter by to see only new releases for a specific type of media (e.g., music items only) that would be useful.

+1.  For every item, you should display the filetype (.mp4 or .avi) and filesize.
legendary
This is going to be a chicken and egg problem, that will only slowly gain traction. 

That's the whole issue of the bitcoin economy. We gottach keep existing business alive, keep new business going in, minimize business shutting down.

Slow growth until we hit the sweet spot when everthing goes BLAM!

In the meantime, bitcoiners ought to be patience and keep the light on.
legendary
Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010
CoinDL got soooo much publicity on Monday with the "iTunes for Bitcoin" Hypebot article, yet there still are less than two dozen music uploads.

This is going to be a chicken and egg problem, that will only slowly gain traction.  

A variety of content is needed, even if you need to pre-pay artists for their listings!

On usability, when adding a wallpaper I needed to create a resized copy of the original to use as thumbnail.  Can't CoinDL do the resize by itself?  Seems like anyone uploading a wallpaper would only have the full size available.

Incidentally, had a sale on my first item that I listed.   Very cool!
legendary
weex: do you check your email regularly? Or do I have to pester you everytime?

I politely waited a day before pestering you.
legendary
Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570
Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending
Apology accepted Phinneus,...

coinDL got a nice mention today building off the bitcoinmagazine post by vbuterin!

http://www.hypebot.com/hypebot/2012/04/coindl-launches-itunes-of-the-bitcoin-world-employing-new-digital-currency.html

I just read it, and it's a very fine article.

Right now, if you've got a solid web presence and some music that people will actually like as opposed to tolerate cause they're your friends, you can probably leverage a presence on Bitcoin for some quick publicity. The nice thing about moving now is that any coming collapse of Bitcoin is probably far enough off in the future that you could reap some promo benefits and quickly exchange your Bitcoin for some other imaginary form of currency with the added benefit of government backing.

(bold mine)

~Bruno~
legendary
Apology accepted Phinneus,...

coinDL got a nice mention today building off the bitcoinmagazine post by vbuterin!

http://www.hypebot.com/hypebot/2012/04/coindl-launches-itunes-of-the-bitcoin-world-employing-new-digital-currency.html
legendary
Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570
Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending
No need to apologize Phinnaeus Gage, I did get a bit strong with the rhetoric on the initial post. Be thankful I didn't resort to poetry or a filk.

What I hope comes through is that I'm working hard to make sure the site and Bitcoin reach their full potential. I'm sure you don't need help with Bitcoin but if you'd like to try out coinDL, pm me an address and I'll fund a small test.

Son of a bitch!

Full disclosure, everybody. The following is a PM I sent to weex about an hour ago:

The subject of the PM was entitled: I'm not an asshole!

Now that I've got your attention...

The other day, I posted a comment on one of your threads. I'm pretty sure you know which one I speak of. Since penning that post, I've truly felt bad about it, though I stand by what I written at the time. As mentioned in that post of mine, I've yet to explore the rest of that thread, let alone any comments made in regards to my post. After I send this PM to you, I am going to take the time to revisit said thread and read it every post from beginning to end.

My reason for doing such:

In the course of reading other threads, I keep seeing and reading your posts. I can't help but admire your sentiments. With that, I need to read what I've been missing, if anything. Chances are, you'll be getting an apology from me.

I truly am not an asshole, and that statement has nothing to do with anything you have written toward my direction for, as I've previously stated, I've yet to read anything about me from you.

Sincerely,

Bruno

I have now read this entire thread, and am here to formally apologize to weex.

I truly am sorry for my post, weex, for I now see where and how I erred. I will not make that same mistake every again. Please accept my apology.

I am so taken back by your response to my post. That was so professionally thought out and written. As far as you addressing everybody else's posts, I have to admit you're a class act. I wish you well in everything you do, especially with it comes to Bitcoin. Feel free to drop me a line if there is anything I can do for you.

Sincerely,

~Bruno~
legendary
Could there be a way to optionally upload a thumbnail image rather than forcing it to be in the mp3?

There's definitely a way and will be included when albums (with songs as sub-items) are introduced.
legendary
Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010
Every upload should appear in new releases once it's approved. Let me know if something doesn't. N

I see, my mp3 didn't have an image so it doesn't render well in the New Releases and I overlooked it.

Could there be a way to optionally upload a thumbnail image rather than forcing it to be in the mp3?
Pages:
Jump to: