Pages:
Author

Topic: [ANN] GME | GameCoin - Unofficial fork and Windows QT Client. - page 20. (Read 23852 times)

Activity: 180
Merit: 100
The All-in-One Cryptocurrency Exchange
IMPORTANT: Active GameCoiners Please Listen!

It's been suggested we alter the difficulty adjustment algorith for GameCoin.  This would mean the the difficulty would adjust more frequently, allowing the coin to remain stable and active even if the hashrate drops significantly, as the network will respond and drop the difficulty much sooner.  our difficulty adjustment would be over 20 times more frequent than it is now.

The downside is that changing the difficulty algorithm causes a hard fork in the blockchain:  Those users who upgrade their clients to the new algorithm and those who do not.
So, I need to know what the active GameCoiners all think about this, because our nodes essentially form the core network for GameCoin at this point, and we need to all be in agreement before anything is done.

So guys, what do we do?
Activity: 308
Merit: 250
Found a new block. Come on people, only few blocks left til diff adjustment!
Activity: 630
Merit: 502
Its stuck in syn.

24k is stuck on incomming.

Just a bug, orn i'm missing something?

New wallet from yesterday

It's because the difficulty is quite high at 1.0 and we need another 385 blocks until the difficulty goes down. Unfortunately there are very few people devoting hashing power to it. Once we hit block 20160 things will improve dramatically but we need miners to help us hit that goal.

Putting my 400kh/s on this

Welcome onboard, we can use all the hashing power we can get.  Grin
Activity: 308
Putting my 400kh/s on this
Activity: 107
Merit: 10
Yeah I will throw what I have at it for a little while to help out.
Activity: 42
Merit: 0
Its stuck in syn.

Yeah that's just a "bug" in short at some point someone tried to replace blockchain with the litecoin blockchain. However even though the client will not accept the litecoin blockchain it still see's that someone has those blocks and so it shows up as out of sync.

It's nothing to worry about, you can still mine, transfer coins, and do everything you normally can. Just ignore it saying out of sync. It may fix itself after a few checkpoints are reached.
Activity: 322
Its stuck in syn.

Also, sounds like FRC is doing some interesting things, The only issue I have is that to my understanding demurrage is not done by the system, but rather by the proprietors of exchanges etc.is that the case or am I confused?
Depends on point of view. My understanding that demurrage means to deduct a fixed percentage of your balance with each new block on the network.
The wallet/client does this automatically as it's directly hooked up to the blockchain.

Most exchanges, however, are built in a way that they detect incoming transfers and book them to their internal account that they have set up for you. Since this account then is independent of the account via which you did your payments, they have to implement it themselves. bter.com deducts a fixed amount per day independently of the blockchain, others may choose other methods.
So imo it's not a fault of Freicoin, but rather something the implementors of Exchanges have not thought of in the design of their software, they expected balances only to change through payins and payouts, but not "out of thin air".
So basically nobody is to blame(you cannot plan for every unthought-of-eventuality), they just need to adopt their design.

Ahh, I gotcha.  So the node's global balance decreases properly with the blockchain, but the daemon doesn't automatically update the balance on all of the individual accounts?
Activity: 14
Merit: 0
Working on a gambling site for this currency, and possibly some other newer currencies.  Setting up the server for it now.  Smiley
Activity: 158
Also, sounds like FRC is doing some interesting things, The only issue I have is that to my understanding demurrage is not done by the system, but rather by the proprietors of exchanges etc.is that the case or am I confused?
Depends on point of view. My understanding that demurrage means to deduct a fixed percentage of your balance with each new block on the network.
The wallet/client does this automatically as it's directly hooked up to the blockchain.

Most exchanges, however, are built in a way that they detect incoming transfers and book them to their internal account that they have set up for you. Since this account then is independent of the account via which you did your payments, they have to implement it themselves. bter.com deducts a fixed amount per day independently of the blockchain, others may choose other methods.
So imo it's not a fault of Freicoin, but rather something the implementors of Exchanges have not thought of in the design of their software, they expected balances only to change through payins and payouts, but not "out of thin air".
So basically nobody is to blame(you cannot plan for every unthought-of-eventuality), they just need to adopt their design.
In the next few days we'll have a real-world example with FreiCoin. Mostly stranded at 1-5 blocks/day after it was hyped on bter.com, many miners jumped aboard, then difficulty quadrupled and everybody left ship right thereafter.
Barely usable right now. Having a solo-mined block from 8.5. that's still not reached maturity.
I'm sending my fpga hashing power there right now as there's a planned fork in ~15 blocks where they introduce a new diff adaption algo that should act much faster (144 last blocks taken into account as to my understanding, diff can halve within that many blocks).
Also with the other unique concepts of Freicoin I think it's one of the most interesting coins.
Should keep an eye out for how it turns out for the coin with the new algo.
Also as a side note for traders: At the hard fork there'll be a hard diff adjustment to 1/4 of current diff, so profitability should immediately jump from ~25% to ~100%, offering interesting possibilities for miners that are mining at that time and also for traders...
And for gamecoiners as a research model... :-)

Yeah, difficulty would've exactly quadrupled.  I'm pretty sure that's the ceiling on difficulty increases.

Seems my offer can be interpreted the wrong way, so here I try again:
I'm willing to sell 200k GME for BTC or LTC.
Price expectation: 0.5BTC per 50k GME.
This offer goes along with the service to keep mining Gamecoin as long as I can get them sold and/or more miners jump aboard.
In the next few days we'll have a real-world example with FreiCoin. Mostly stranded at 1-5 blocks/day after it was hyped on bter.com, many miners jumped aboard, then difficulty quadrupled and everybody left ship right thereafter.
Barely usable right now. Having a solo-mined block from 8.5. that's still not reached maturity.
I'm sending my fpga hashing power there right now as there's a planned fork in ~15 blocks where they introduce a new diff adaption algo that should act much faster (144 last blocks taken into account as to my understanding, diff can halve within that many blocks).
Also with the other unique concepts of Freicoin I think it's one of the most interesting coins.
Should keep an eye out for how it turns out for the coin with the new algo.
Also as a side note for traders: At the hard fork there'll be a hard diff adjustment to 1/4 of current diff, so profitability should immediately jump from ~25% to ~100%, offering interesting possibilities for miners that are mining at that time and also for traders...
And for gamecoiners as a research model... :-)
I was mining up until last night (maybe 2 blocks an hour). I had to stop as I need to rebuild my mining computer inside a crate to give more air circulation. I'll jump back on it later tonight and stick with it until we hit block 20160 at least.

The standard 2016 blocks difficulty retarget certainly seems to be a coin killer at the moment. With new coins being launched every day miners hop from one coin to the next and a coin can easily end up stranded with a high difficulty and the next retarget too far away for people to continue with it.

It really needs the difficulty to be retargeted a lot faster to avoid this. Maybe once every 100 blocks.

I was thinking so, but as discussed we sort of need to get everyone on board all at once to avoid a nasty hard fork and alienating half of our people.

But yeah, if the difficulty retarget was a little quicker, it'd be less prone to abuse (from being too low) and collapse (from being too high and everyone bailing out).  We would definitely see some more realistic numbers.

We'll also be wanting to add some new checkpoints for the correct side of the fork once the community decides we should go forward.
Activity: 630
Merit: 502
I was mining up until last night (maybe 2 blocks an hour). I had to stop as I need to rebuild my mining computer inside a crate to give more air circulation. I'll jump back on it later tonight and stick with it until we hit block 20160 at least.

The standard 2016 blocks difficulty retarget certainly seems to be a coin killer at the moment. With new coins being launched every day miners hop from one coin to the next and a coin can easily end up stranded with a high difficulty and the next retarget too far away for people to continue with it.

It really needs the difficulty to be retargeted a lot faster to avoid this. Maybe once every 100 blocks.
Guys:
Don't think we had one yet right?
http://54.244.192.52/gamecoin/chain/Gamecoin

Tips are welcome ;-)

Cheers!

Nice!  Is it alright if I post links to this and the QT client download on the GameCoin page over at alt-co.in?

Also if anyone has any c++ experience and wants to actually work on the new fork, PM me and we'll talk.
Hm ok already thought so that this would be the standard algo with only slight mods. Consistent with the quick'n'dirty approach everything seems to have been done by the adaptor.
When changing the algo it will mean a hard fork, so we should be careful in getting it announced properly.
BTW, I grabbed those 980 fees myself...

Sent another transaction with 1020 fees out. Grab it !

Yeah, i figured any intense changes would, which is why i sort of waited until we could gather some community support/solidarity for the coin.

It'll just take some doing to find some time in my schedule for a more complex endeavour like that (This is just a hobby for me, though I do write code for a living as well).
Ok, back to business: I could be mining WorldCoins with a good profitability right now as they are freshly listed at an exchange.
Who's willing to offer 0.5 btc or 20 ltc per 50k gme , with 200k gme up for sale?
With WorldCoins I could be doing 0.75btc in the same time, so I think that's a fair deal. In Exchange I'll continue mining gamecoin keeping the net going until others start mining as long as I find buyers.
Hm ok already thought so that this would be the standard algo with only slight mods. Consistent with the quick'n'dirty approach everything seems to have been done by the adaptor.
When changing the algo it will mean a hard fork, so we should be careful in getting it announced properly.
BTW, I grabbed those 980 fees myself...

Sent another transaction with 1020 fees out. Grab it !

Pages:
Jump to: