Pages:
Author

Topic: [ANN] Metadisk - Blockchain Based File Sharing - Powered by Storj - page 5. (Read 39241 times)

Activity: 20
Merit: 0
People would need to keep their computers on for this to work right? What if you need to access your data and they turned their computer off? Great idea though, I'm excited to see how this turns out.

I imagine people would have an incentive to leave their computers on 24/7 to earn more. I know I certainly will. I also imagine that file storage would have redundancy for safety reasons.
legendary
Activity: 1232
Merit: 1000
will farmers need to maintain a minimum amount of coins in order to use driveshare?

might be interesting to see what type of valuation Storj can achieve if every node required 10,000 coins to run, sort of like Darkcoin. This would help raise funds for the developers and community.

This can be even broken down based on the amount of HD Space being shared. So for every 1TB a node needs 1000 STJX. This could ensure that the people hosting aren't some hacked servers or a pentuim 286 on an unreliable internet/electricity grid.

This might also stop or hinder blackhats from using stolen storage space to run nodes, as they will have to invest in a node in order to participate.

Currently to use the software sjcx is considered a software license, however in the future that may change.

I like the having to invest to use it however that could present some issues for adoption as the 10,000 per fairly distributed would be 50,000 nodes and nobody would have and sjcx to buy space on the network.

Keep coming with great ideas! #bethecloud

I thought the 10,000 SJCX to be involved in Test Group C was just to rise barrier and have the parties show active interest in the technology.  I didn't think that was going to be an on going requirement.  As you noted that would limit the number of nodes to 50,000 and remove all SJCX from the market place.

The number to run the node can always be lowered to further decentralization. I just see this as a way to discourage theft of storage space by blackhats. It would also increase the value of Storj giving the community and developers access to more funds to further development.
mjc
Activity: 588
Merit: 500
Available on Kindle
People would need to keep their computers on for this to work right? What if you need to access your data and they turned their computer off? Great idea though, I'm excited to see how this turns out.

The files are broken into pieces called shards.  Each Shard is written to 3 or more computers, similar to how a RAID drive does.  This creates a fault tolerance to the network.  A heartbeat is sent to each node and if the node is found to be offline then the shard that were on that node are replicated elsewhere.

So a file that contains 5 shards could be saved to 15 different computers.
Activity: 10
Sounds like it is extremely secure!
Activity: 87
Merit: 10
will farmers need to maintain a minimum amount of coins in order to use driveshare?

might be interesting to see what type of valuation Storj can achieve if every node required 10,000 coins to run, sort of like Darkcoin. This would help raise funds for the developers and community.

This can be even broken down based on the amount of HD Space being shared. So for every 1TB a node needs 1000 STJX. This could ensure that the people hosting aren't some hacked servers or a pentuim 286 on an unreliable internet/electricity grid.

This might also stop or hinder blackhats from using stolen storage space to run nodes, as they will have to invest in a node in order to participate.

Currently to use the software sjcx is considered a software license, however in the future that may change.

I like the having to invest to use it however that could present some issues for adoption as the 10,000 per fairly distributed would be 50,000 nodes and nobody would have and sjcx to buy space on the network.

I thought the 10,000 SJCX to be involved in Test Group C was just to rise barrier and have the parties show active interest in the technology.  I didn't think that was going to be an on going requirement.  As you noted that would limit the number of nodes to 50,000 and remove all SJCX from the market place.

There is nothing written one way or another regarding that.  Storj also reserves the right to future crowdsales so there could be some rewards as far as access to future crowdsales.  Time will tell.

Bethecloud
mjc
Activity: 588
Available on Kindle

legendary
Activity: 1232
Merit: 1000

Factom Use Case - Protecting Sony Pictures with Blockchain Technology

Watch how Blockchain Technology can protect Sony Pictures using Factom and Storj.

what's the relationship about Factom and Storj?
any link?

Storj will eventually use factom to store metadata of files on the bitcoin blockchain,  if you look at the Whitepaper this is currently being done on its own with florincoin,  https://storj.io/storj.pdf

Bethecloud
Activity: 742

Watch how Blockchain Technology can protect Sony Pictures using Factom and Storj.

what's the relationship about Factom and Storj?
any link?
Activity: 191
Merit: 100

To the person who asked what differentiates this project from all the other free cloud services... One's like storing all your data in a big pile in one company's pocket, Storj is like storing different parts of each page in the pockets of people who don't even know they have anything of yours to begin with! MUCH more secure!!
Activity: 13
Merit: 1

There are unlimited amount of sites offering cloud storage for free. What's so special about this project?  Huh

Those websites operate under the laws of the country they're based in. And they've proven repeatedly that they will cave in to pressure to release or destroy supposedly secure information, and if not, are usually taken down. You can't take down Storj. That's the beauty of decentralization. Stand back and bask in its glory.
This is a great idea. I do use Dropbox and Google Drive at the moment, but due to the encryption on this one I am so interested. I am actually afraid of people breaking into my account(s) and viewing all of my personal pictures.
Activity: 39

There are unlimited amount of sites offering cloud storage for free. What's so special about this project?  Huh

If you don't care about privacy / redundancy or storing large amount of data for less, then this project is not for you. At least not yet.
Activity: 25

It is much safer, much faster, and more secure
Will there be an option to choose between ssd vs hdd, or is that unnecessary?
Activity: 1540

What's the current average ul/dl speed?
Pages:
Jump to: