Author

Topic: [ANN] [MINT] Mintcoin (POS / 5%) [NO ICO] [Fair distro, community maintained] - page 327. (Read 1369778 times)

Activity: 364
Merit: 250
Disconnecting 84k blocks doesn't seem logical to me, I think you're either using 1.6 or 1.7 and your wallet switches back and forth on POW+POS blockchain (1.6-) and the POS-

I've been using "version" : "v1.0.0.0" since the very beginning, I will update it now thanks Smiley

This right here is a very good reason why every wallet should have an annoying message that appears when you open your wallet to inform you that an upgrade is required...just like Windows and FireFox and all other types of software. We are talking about peoples money here, and I suspect that if this was a bank, they would inform you right away that you need to upgrade.

Can we get someone to implement this into the next wallet upgrade please?

Mintcoin is not a bank though, and really playing around with these clients is beta testing.  This is what it says on the "about mintcoin" selection in the help menu of the client; to whit:

"This is experimental software. If you don't treat it as such, you're likely to put an eye out!"

Cheesy

The point of cryptocurrency is to have granular control of your personal finances so taking responsibility for keeping up with updates etc by checking in the community on their own is something people will have to get used to.
Activity: 613
Merit: 500
Mintcoin: Get some
Activity: 230
Merit: 100
Disconnecting 84k blocks doesn't seem logical to me, I think you're either using 1.6 or 1.7 and your wallet switches back and forth on POW+POS blockchain (1.6-) and the POS-

I've been using "version" : "v1.0.0.0" since the very beginning, I will update it now thanks Smiley

This right here is a very good reason why every wallet should have an annoying message that appears when you open your wallet to inform you that an upgrade is required...just like Windows and FireFox and all other types of software. We are talking about peoples money here, and I suspect that if this was a bank, they would inform you right away that you need to upgrade.

Can we get someone to implement this into the next wallet upgrade please?
Activity: 707
Merit: 505

Activity: 182
I was wondering about the mint wallet for android too, seems like news about it stopped a few days ago.
Activity: 868
Merit: 1000
BTW what is the progress of the minting Android wallet? It's been a while since there has been an update.

Just so you know, my pledge in return for the minting and battery features still stands. But I'm not giving the reward until the app is on my phone and I can test it.

Yes, an update on the Android wallet would be nice.

I'm looking forward to when the android developer gets 5,000,000 Mint from the 700,000,000 Mint pre-mine.

Its 10,000,000 from the Dev, and about another 2.5 mil from the community so far. If you would like to donate the official address can be found in beaverslayer's message here: https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.6414849
Activity: 453
BTW what is the progress of the minting Android wallet? It's been a while since there has been an update.

Just so you know, my pledge in return for the minting and battery features still stands. But I'm not giving the reward until the app is on my phone and I can test it.

Yes, an update on the Android wallet would be nice.

I'm looking forward to when the android developer gets 5,000,000 Mint from the 700,000,000 Mint pre-mine.

Activity: 70
Merit: 10
Too many people want everything for free here. 
Activity: 132
okaynow,

Sorry for the misunderstanding. I didn't necessarily see you as grouping me in with them, but felt the need to defend myself anyway because this is a common concern.

FYI, something we will be announcing officially in a few days: MyWl.lt has a payment API coming in May which will of course support any coins on the site.  This will allow for secure replacement of a daemon for things like dice games, or full payment processing for any commerce site. Only pre-approved sites can use the API, and it's built on years of experience developing secure financial APIs, so there won't be any funny business. This could be a big help to MINT if you get voted in.
Activity: 546
PGP 9CB0902E
also, people should really avoid paying to buy votes..

I dont know who thought of that first, but he probably made millions out of it.
Exchanges do that only for their profit, and they will also collect hot coins with trade fees.
Its just pure greed on their part IMO.
I just want to say that running an online wallet is a hell of a lot different than an exchange. I lose a lot of money every month running this service, and charge nothing more than the minimum network transaction fees. I will continue to run the site while losing money simply because I feel it's a vital piece of the community and many people rely on it every day.

That's why i spoke of exchanges, not a service like yours. I'm sorry if i was misunderstood.
I understand, and completely agree with communities donating, and also believe you should cover your
expenses for your work.

I was referring to exchanges, that use this way to just make users pay for coins that would be added anyway.
I have been considering a "pro" version that does more, including allowing private key imports and PoS support could be part of that. I can't really guarantee people would pay for that service, or at least not enough people to cover the additional costs.
Activity: 269
Parsec Frontiers Pre-Sale 24.01.2018
While there are real-world uses for online wallets (being able to access coins from a coffee shop computer while on vacation), and it would be nice for Mintcoin to be accessible from some of them, there will CERTAINLY be a fair number of these services starting up this year.

So if there will be more and more online wallets starting up and looking for customers, what will they have to do to attract them?

Answer: Support lots of coins to draw in as many users as possible, so they can grow a user base and become profitable through whatever fee structure they have in place.

The USERS WHO DECIDE TO USE THE SERVICE should be the ones "paying the rent" so to speak through usage fees. Why should the coin community pay for the ability for Joe Shmoe to use an online wallet when the online wallet makers will be making money off of Joe Shmoe himself?

There is ZERO reason to throw money at a service to get your coin on the service, since there will be a fair number of competitve services in the very near future JUMPING at the chance to add Mintcoin, which has a good sized user base.

And I'm sorry to say, if an Online wallet operator/creator has set things up so that he loses money every month, perhaps he should re-structure his fees toward the users end, and just add as many coins as possible so people will actually show up and pay him to use his service. Why even bother with the bribe system?

This is the EXACT same bullshit that made people blow off Coinkite.

Just my opinion, but I think it is an opinion that makes sense.

An online wallet such as mine (anonymous, no fiat integration, no investor backing) has zero chance of being profitable. I'd have to charge multiple dollars per transaction. Exchanges do thousands of trades per day to charge fees on, but wallets will never have that kind of volume.  Have you seen the diagram at https://mywl.lt/security/? It costs a lot to have that amount of infrastructure, which is why most online wallets are insecure because they throw up a single VM with PHP and some wallet daemons.

I don't run the service to make money. In fact, I'd prefer it to break even. Every single penny from donations (which I've never solicited or received until now) goes straight to servers and development costs. Anything more than what it costs to run it just means I can afford to improve the service further by devoting more of my time to it. I have other businesses that make me money and don't need MyWl.lt to be profitable at all. I started it as a courtesy to the Digitalcoin community (since I'm a member of the DGC foundation) and have recently decided to bring in additional coins, specifically ones with strong communities that I respect highly.

I applaud your commitment to the coin community. I have no reason to doubt your sincerity, except for previous experiences making me very skeptical of "pay for vote" systems.

Might I suggest making a ladder of monthly plans for users? A certain number of "free" transactions per month for x amount of transactions if you have the "Silver" plan, etc. ..old hat but people are familiar with it.

Also, does the online wallet have PoS support?
PGP 9CB0902E
@powersup

also updated today and had the same status message.
it worked fine, after i restarted the wallet though.
While there are real-world uses for online wallets (being able to access coins from a coffee shop computer while on vacation), and it would be nice for Mintcoin to be accessible from some of them, there will CERTAINLY be a fair number of these services starting up this year.

So if there will be more and more online wallets starting up and looking for customers, what will they have to do to attract them?

Answer: Support lots of coins to draw in as many users as possible, so they can grow a user base and become profitable through whatever fee structure they have in place.

The USERS WHO DECIDE TO USE THE SERVICE should be the ones "paying the rent" so to speak through usage fees. Why should the coin community pay for the ability for Joe Shmoe to use an online wallet when the online wallet makers will be making money off of Joe Shmoe himself?

There is ZERO reason to throw money at a service to get your coin on the service, since there will be a fair number of competitve services in the very near future JUMPING at the chance to add Mintcoin, which has a good sized user base.

And I'm sorry to say, if an Online wallet operator/creator has set things up so that he loses money every month, perhaps he should re-structure his fees toward the users end, and just add as many coins as possible so people will actually show up and pay him to use his service. Why even bother with the bribe system?

An online wallet such as mine (anonymous, no fiat integration, no investor backing) has zero chance of being profitable. I'd have to charge multiple dollars per transaction. Exchanges do thousands of trades per day to charge fees on, but wallets will never have that kind of volume.  Have you seen the diagram at https://mywl.lt/security/? It costs a lot to have that amount of infrastructure, which is why most online wallets are insecure because they throw up a single VM with PHP and some wallet daemons.

I don't run the service to make money. In fact, I'd prefer it to break even. Every single penny from donations (which I've never solicited or received until now) goes straight to servers and development costs. Anything more than what it costs to run it just means I can afford to improve the service further by devoting more of my time to it. I have other businesses that make me money and don't need MyWl.lt to be profitable at all. I started it as a courtesy to the Digitalcoin community (since I'm a member of the DGC foundation) and have recently decided to bring in additional coins, specifically ones with strong communities that I respect highly.

Activity: 406
seem im not minting coins after upgrading to wallet 1.9.1.

stake icon status is "Not minting because you dont have mature coins"  However i have minted plenty of coins before upgrading the wallet, and I have not moved any coins recently. wallet is unlocked.

Can anyone give advise?

Code:

{
"version" : "v1.9.1.0",
"protocolversion" : 60006,
"walletversion" : 60000,
"balance" : 332939.63232300,
"newmint" : 0.00000000,
"stake" : 0.00000000,
"blocks" : 299470,
"moneysupply" : 18941662370.91911316,
"connections" : 12,
"proxy" : "",
"ip" : "[i]hidden[/i]",
"difficulty" : 0.06147789,
"testnet" : false,
"keypoololdest" : 1393760875,
"keypoolsize" : 101,
"paytxfee" : 0.00000000,
"unlocked_until" : 0,
"errors" : ""
}
Activity: 269
Parsec Frontiers Pre-Sale 24.01.2018

Activity: 613
Mintcoin: Get some
Is minting broken https://i.imgur.com/xhfaFia.png 7000+ days for a reward what the frell.
I think that just means that currently, you don't have very many coins that are past the 20 day waiting period. Once more of your coins get past the 20 day waiting period then that number will start to drop dramatically. Right now, you probably have a fraction of a coin (something like 0.0087 of a mintcoin) past the 20 days waiting period. Hope that help maybe explain it. It is only estimating when you are likely to mint based on the coins that are past 20 days from their last transaction, if I understand it correctly.

Exchanges do that only for their profit, and they will also collect hot coins with trade fees.

I just want to say that running an online wallet is a hell of a lot different than an exchange. I lose a lot of money every month running this service, and charge nothing more than the minimum network transaction fees. I will continue to run the site while losing money simply because I feel it's a vital piece of the community and many people rely on it every day.

The paid vote structure is only there in case you feel that you want to donate to help support your coin. If you want your community to thrive, it takes donations to keep services up and running. If a community is small but dedicated, they may feel it is worth some donations to have a safe and reliable online wallet. On the other hand, some communities are big enough that they only need to submit votes via the site. As opposed to an exchange where the goal is to buy your way on then dump your coins at a profit, donating for this vote is a way for all coins to have a shot at being supported by a service that is high quality and integral to the growth of the coin.
PGP 9CB0902E

Activity: 213
Is minting broken https://i.imgur.com/xhfaFia.png 7000+ days for a reward what the frell.
Jump to: