Pages:
Author

Topic: [ANN] Mjollnircoin - MNR - Ultra-secure, Fast Transactions & ASIC resistant - page 7. (Read 80149 times)

Activity: 126
Merit: 100
Through Marketing we will increase awareness of the coin and I agree with you that a multi-pool can help to increase buy pressure

It's pointless having a multipool whilst POW is still ongoing.  It can only work if there is a full transition to POS.  The great thing about it is that it stabilises price and buys time for further development.

Mjollnircoin should be made attractive for the non technical user; Easy to use payment system for Mobile devices - That is a start

Absolutely I agree.

I don't see how exactly you disagree with my position on not setting specific dates for specific features; My point there is we currently have only one developer with limited available time.

We need definite dates as targets.  Which is exactly why we need more people on the team, rather than just having a one man show.  That is too much for one person to carry.

Also, I am not sure exactly what defines strong leadership, hopefully not the narcistic dominant type that relies on authority to get the plans realised.

It's not easy to define and there is a fine line between a good strong leader and a dictator but some people are better than others.

The direction is what we will plot out; Not by me solo but by everyone here. The purpose of the IRC meeting is to define and prioritise the action list for the ideas envisioned

Fair enough but trying to get more than a couple of people on IRC is tricky and it's even more difficult having a conversation between more than two people as it can get confusing.

The multi pool would not mine MNR directly, it would have to mine something else and sell that to buy MNR (automatically), I'm not sure how it is pointless while PoW is still ongoing; On higher difficulty, you would expect a higher reward for the smaller miner. But I can be wrong, I am not into the mining business.

I agree getting everyone to IRC is difficult, but it will help to speed things up

There is a big need for more active participants; especially on the subject of Marketing and Recruitment ... More developers would be great, but is less of an issue at this point in time.

Activity: 120
Market determine success or failure, there is no money to survive a space-based participation that people recognized. If you are unable to get recognized by most people, all the other noble plans are not established. Just when many people participate in them, have a basis for further development, and other great programs. fouz.............................................
legendary
Activity: 952
Merit: 1000
Through Marketing we will increase awareness of the coin and I agree with you that a multi-pool can help to increase buy pressure

It's pointless having a multipool whilst POW is still ongoing.  It can only work if there is a full transition to POS.  The great thing about it is that it stabilises price and buys time for further development.

Mjollnircoin should be made attractive for the non technical user; Easy to use payment system for Mobile devices - That is a start

Absolutely I agree.

I don't see how exactly you disagree with my position on not setting specific dates for specific features; My point there is we currently have only one developer with limited available time.

We need definite dates as targets.  Which is exactly why we need more people on the team, rather than just having a one man show.  That is too much for one person to carry.

Also, I am not sure exactly what defines strong leadership, hopefully not the narcistic dominant type that relies on authority to get the plans realised.

It's not easy to define and there is a fine line between a good strong leader and a dictator but some people are better than others.

The direction is what we will plot out; Not by me solo but by everyone here. The purpose of the IRC meeting is to define and prioritise the action list for the ideas envisioned

Fair enough but trying to get more than a couple of people on IRC is tricky and it's even more difficult having a conversation between more than two people as it can get confusing.
legendary
In retrospect, going to the Bittrex Exchange has put Mjollnircoin in danger, the buy volume is not great enough to keep up with mine & dump that is happening now from a handful of miners
and buy volume is decreasing. Like Cayars says, we have to get out of the specific altcoin market - the bull/bear market for traders.

I think you're missing the point here.  Saying that being on Bittrex is putting the coin in danger is like worrying about a paper cut on your finger when you have a severed limb squirting blood all over the place. 

The reason for low prices and buy volume is because there is not enough awareness of the coin, not enough to give it greater value than the pack and general lack of development or progress.

The big focus on mining, the Hefty algorithm etc, is a big mistake. 

The very people you want to get interested to increase utility and usefulness of the coin don't give a damn about those things. Neither do they care if the coin is mineable through POW or not. 

You will never eliminate pumps/dumps but as long as there is strong continuing development that is clear and well communicated the coin will bounce back and rise to new heights - just look at Vericoin and Nautilus.  Also this is why I was so keen on POS only with a Multipool paying in MNR - this would immediately create demand for the coin and stabilise price, with constant buy pressure.

Soul Eater also suggested a development plan or, if you will, a roadmap. I am fine with defining a global roadmap but announcing features as specific milestones for specific dates  is another trap we should not fall into; Beeing late on a long awaited feature is something that actively hurts the coin's credibility

Unfortunately in the real world definite plans and milestones are expected.  That's why they need to be realistic and also why their accomplishment needs to be taken seriously.  Without dates and milestones people tend to lose confidence and start to believe that they are not being seriously worked on.  It is because not fulfilling plans can be detrimental that makes them so effective and creates pressure to fulfil them.  If there are delays for legitimate reasons and this is properly communicated it is not a major set back.  The problem has been that in many cases developers have failed to communicate adequately about delays and/or have given weak reasons for them.

Last, I do not believe in classical leadership as in a process of social influence where one person enlists the aid or support of others to accomplish tasks.

That's lovely but we do not live in a utopian society where this is respected or indeed useful.  We need strong leadership and direction.  If you cannot provide it then you should find somebody who can otherwise we will end up with a coin that is based on good intentions but never gains any traction and dies a slow pointless death.

Thanks everyone for your valuable input!

In retrorespect, going to the Bittrex Exchange has put Mjollnircoin in danger, the buy volume is not great enough to keep up with mine & dump that is happening now from a handful of miners
and buy volume is decreasing. Like Cayars says, we have to get out of the specific altcoin market - the bull/bear market for traders.

Considering this, I think that we should sharpen the arrows for a continued Marketing campaign while development implements features we feel should have the highest priority

I like very much Zedicus idea of sponsoring in sports; There is still plenty of coins in the Vault and some people here also have offered to donate more, should the need arise. I'm sure it will funtion like a Good Luck Charm for the figher who wears Mjollnir

Also, today I received a template to organize a betting game for the Worldcup in Brazil, but you know that running these types of things is not my spearpoint but I'm not allergic for these kinds of jobs.

What we could do for Marketing:
  • Marketing materials (flyers,banners,etc)
  • Organize (betting) contests for sport games or other MNR games
  • Sponsorship e.g. Sports, Stars, Celebrities, Artists
  • Create physical Mjollnircoin (maybe through a fundraiser such as https://www.startjoin.com/physvericoin)

Considering Development, I have seen some great ideas that merit further study, Soul Eater already summarized them in a previous post and I am actively researching a couple of them.

But I agree with Cayars that all effort should go into Easy of Use, improving the usability and utility of Mjollnircoin up to a point where it can be used as a currency

Logically, I think that that makes Mobile development a high priority for Mjollnircoin from my perspective (as a developer)

Soul Eater also suggested a development plan or, if you will, a roadmap. I am fine with defining a global roadmap but announcing features as specific milestones for specific dates  is another trap we should not fall into; Beeing late on a long awaited feature is something that actively hurts the coin's credibility

Last, I do not believe in classical leadership as in a process of social influence where one person enlists the aid or support of others to accomplish tasks.

What we are doing now is more transformational and in iterations:
  • develop challenging and attractive vision with everyone who participates in MNR
  • identify achievements and develop strategy
  • develop vision and translate to actions
  • express confidence, decisiveness and optimism about the vision (and implementation)
  • realization in small iterative steps for small successes

What we could use is someone's personality and traits to articulate and energize our visions, as a moral exemplar.

As a next thing, I would like to call everyone for an IRC meeting where we can structure our short to medium term goals and priorities.
I will be in later today if you want to chat about something, preliminary we can set the meeting date for Monday or Tuesday 23:00 CEST if that's a good time for you
Activity: 23
Merit: 0
dev:
    too few people;too few mine pool;too few trading platform.How is this development?Please let me know!!!!
legendary
Cayars, Hamer xx - great ideas guys and thanks for your input.

I love the idea of using someone like a UFC/MMA fighter like NAUT did.  Cayars maybe your brother's friend might be interested in sponsorship - could you ask him?  I think Brokkir still has some bounty MNR left and we could raise more if required.  I also think the donations to charity from gambling would also be a good idea.  Given the ethical issues involved it might be best to go for a gambling addiction charity (if they accept it).

Hamer, thanks for spotting those main points amongst the rest of the stuff - I tend to be quite verbose, but yes we need proper direction and leadership.  Now is the time to step up and take action rather than sitting back.  Just see what Patrick has done with Vericoin and you can see how important this is.

I will continue to try to think of other ideas to raise the profile and please also do the same.  If we all work on it we can make this work:)
Activity: 56
It's obvious that Brokkir is not the best at marketing...

We need more dev and marketing power behind Mjollnircoin to keep things going forward and maintain a positive atmosphere in the community / more action than talk!

Soul, I agree with most things you have posted, but there is one point, the most important one of all (or maybe two Smiley)

We need a definite plan with deadlines and proper drive behind it or we will end up another forgotten coin.  This requires proper leadership as well as proper PR management - 2 things that I am sorry to say have been lacking so far.

We need a definite document defining what the current plans for MNR are and we need them ASAP within a week if possible -   How awareness will be raised, utility increased, value will be built into the currency etc.  

I hope Brokkir have time and motivation to keep up with the work ( to implement some of the ideas discussed in the thread during the past 2 days )

Soul_eater, I appreciate all your hard work (twitter promotion,bittrex...) and dedication to making Mjollnircoin more attractive for other users/traders
legendary
Activity: 966
Merit: 1004
CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!
Im currently on the fence between just staying with Pow and maybe doing a compromise and go hybrid 90-95% like cayars was saying ..

Id like for us to have a bigger footprint and do a better job with awareness and getting our coin out there.. It sucks that bittrex has such a hefty price tag on the sponsored coin slots.. Good lo, im in the wrong business!

Soul_eater_123 mentioned colored coins and in game currency.. amongst other things, I think those are good ideas, if we can get in touch with game devs and give them an incentive to use mnr ...

The repeat payment system and merged mining were a few other things that stood out for me.. I think that would be a good step in the right direction as well as having an easy way to spend like Cayars was saying. If we dont get in enough peoples ear in terms of getting mnr out there to the masses, we surely arent going to get the attention of retailers. We need mobile wallets asap, for ios and android with qrcode/sms support.

If we cant get the big retailers to come to us the we need to target their smaller competitors so maybe we should have tools for merchants for platforms like wordress maybe in the form of a plugin so anyone with a wordpress site can install and sell their goods for MNR easy!

Another thing we can take advantage of that was mentioned is sponsors for athletes.. My friends brother is a UFC fighter and as an example all fighters have a banner  pre fight thas displayed in the ring and gets some good air time as they announce each fighter. I would love to see MNR coin on some a banners!  Example below!!

Here is some random ufc fighter with said banner behind him right before the fight.. Imagine a big MNR COIN sign right in the middle!

As with alot of things in life there are winners and losers but gambling generally brings no benefits outside of netting a balance for the winning party. It would be nice if we approached it with maybe a system that auto donate 5-10% of winnings to breast cancer foundation or something that can really make an impact .. Maybe we can rotate foundations and target multiple sclerosis, alzheimer's, autism, and cancer! If we can get the pros to outshine the cons then maybe it will be more palatable.
legendary
I've been looking around and currently there seems to be a lot of interest in the betting system being implemented with Minerals.  It would be a real world use for the currency. How would people feel about something similar with MNR?  Obviously with any kind of gambling there are ethical concerns.

Was also having some thoughts about a kind of 2 wallet system where you have one wallet which is like a high interest savings account but has a delayed withdrawal system to prevent spending, and the other would be a lower staking spending wallet.  I'm not even sure if this can be done though.
legendary
Activity: 168
I've been sort of side-tracked the past few weeks with work and some side projects so I haven't posted much but I've been reading. Smiley

I think we could all agree on these things:
1) Making a change to the code is not a simple/trivial thing to do.  It has risks involved.  But it is doable (especially if tested well on testnet).
2) POS would/should look very good to anyone who has been mining and holding (bag holders) since they will now make extra coins due to the interest. So they will gain extra coins/shares for doing nothing additional except continuing to hold.  It helps those holding coins to get more coins.
3) Those who have mined and sold will gain nothing from going to POS as they have nothing to gain interest on.

Before continuing I'll express my dislike of pure POS coins or coins that start POW and then go POS.

With that said, to me a compromise coin where say 90-95% of coins are generated via mining but 5%-10% of coins produced is POS has merit for consideration. So it's both POW and POS at the same time.
This DOES give a reason to purchase the coins on an Exchange as you get interest on the coins, so it can make more sense then holding btc.
This is closer to "real life" where you have to work to earn money but once you earn the money you can invest it and allow the investment to earn additional money.

But in reality these are all "cosmetic" issues and in themselves aren't going to change MNR overnight. There are tons of coins already trying these methods.  They all copy off each other in some way and they all have their own set of issues.  A case of the "grass is always greener on the other side".

I'm going to take a detour and go a complete different direction.  If I were doing an alt coins this is the direction I'd "bank on" and figure out first.

If you really want to get down to it. MNR is a crypto-currency.  Currency being the keyword.  Almost all alt-coins simply fail at being a currency.  Sure you can trade the coins at an exchange but that's more like buying/selling stocks or commodities. Alt-coins are a bull/bear market for traders.

If MNR or any coin for that matter wants to become a "currency" that matters, it needs to establish EASY ways for people to use the currency.  First and foremost is easy to use wallets that common people can use on a computer, tablet or smart phone.  Smart phone use being key.  Then once you have this you need to get major merchants on board OR find an easy way for people to transfer MNR to a debit card, pre-paid visa/mc card, paypal account (which can be linked to CC), Google Wallet, Square, LevelUp, Venmo, etc.  To get an idea of some of these check out this: http://money.cnn.com/video/technology/2012/09/23/t-mobile-payments.cnnmoney/index.html?iid=F_Jump

Solve the above problem and you're an almost overnight top 2 to 5 coin and value will sky rocket as well as awareness without even having to market it (although you still want to market it).

I know some people (in general) are pushing hard for non-traceable transactions.  I wouldn't go that route on purpose IF a dev is going for big time currency use.  For example if you worked out a way for funds to be transferred to a debit card, pre-paid visa/mc card or similar, any type of coin with un-traceable transaction will have a very hard time getting excepted. The US FED and other Gov agencies have too much involvement in being able to trace transactions to allow that.  Think about law enforcement being able to solve crimes, etc.

What I've just expressed IS THE ACHILLES HEEL of alt coins in general. But solve or partner with companies already offering electronic payments and you got a game changer in the works.

Carlo
legendary
Also guys I don't want to see as if I'm imposing my opinion on everyone so I apologise if it comes out that way.  I've been mining MNR from the start and am very passionate about it.  I understand if people aren't in favour of POS and will go with the community opinion on this.  On another note I've been thinking about some of the things that have previously discussed for implementation and thought it would be useful to sketch out some of these ideas for refinement, modification etc.

The ideas that we discussed so far include

1)  Repeat payment system within the wallet - this would be similar to direct debits in the UK, basically you could set up a repeat payment for example for your monthly bills or subscriptions with MNR instead of a bank account

2) Market integration within the wallet, to follow prices and to allow trading.

3) Coloured coins - allowing the MNR blockchain to carry extra information and to function as a method of issuing other financial instruments (better explanation here:https://docs.google.com/document/d/1AnkP_cVZTCMLIzw4DvsW6M8Q2JC0lIzrTLuoWu2z1BE)

4) Proof of Existence (POE) in relation to digital receipts for merchants/retailers.

5) Getting retailer/merchant adoption of MNR

Other ideas that come to mind and have been suggested for other coins:

1) Use of MNR as an a video gaming currency.

2) An integrated betting system using MNR.

3) Sponsorship e.g. Sports Stars, Celebrities, Artists

4) Mobile wallets

5) SMS payment system

6) Privacy system (rather than full anonymity) that can be used when required

7) Messaging/Chat system within the wallet for communicating during trades etc.

8 ) Voting system within the wallet for checking community support for new developments/changes

9) A staking system (if POS only, or POS+POW) that bases the staking rate on the total coins being staked in wallets (Vericoin).

10) Multi algorithm support for mining +/- Merged Mining

11) A retail rewards system

Please feel free to add anything else that you can think of or that I have missed.
legendary
One advantage of setting up POS that hasn't been mentioned is the ability to create a multipool that mines the most profitable coins and pays out in MNR.  This would immediately create buying support for MNR and help to stabilise the price.  It would also allow miners to continue getting MNR without having to trade directly.
aren't you happy with mining directly the coin ?
Even though I also like POS... it is mostly for the interest... not for the multipool which doesn't make sense when the coin has a POW component... even less here since it is a rather original algo...

It's about creating buy support for the coin.  There's no point in mining a coin if you can't use it for anything.  The whole point is that there needs to be some trade volume to keep a currency going.  At the moment coins get delisted from exchanges very quickly.  It is all a part of establishing the coin.
legendary
Activity: 1400
Merit: 1050
One advantage of setting up POS that hasn't been mentioned is the ability to create a multipool that mines the most profitable coins and pays out in MNR.  This would immediately create buying support for MNR and help to stabilise the price.  It would also allow miners to continue getting MNR without having to trade directly.
aren't you happy with mining directly the coin ?
Even though I also like POS... it is mostly for the interest... not for the multipool which doesn't make sense when the coin has a POW component... even less here since it is a rather original algo...
legendary
legendary
In addition to the above I have another idea that came to me.  Bryce Weiner is a controversial figure but he has been willing to give input on altcoins to other teams.  I believe it would be worth reaching out to him and inviting him to be involved with MNR.  He is not only incredibly intelligent and insightful in such matters but he would also be able to advise on others that may be able to help.  I definitely think it would be worth a try.
legendary
If the community agrees then that's fine but I have to respectfully disagree that continuing proof of work at the current rate until October is a good idea.  I have also not heard any really compelling reasons as to why it would be a problem going to POS.  

If you think it would lead to unfair distribution - I have a message for you: Mining is unfair.  The more money you have the more mining hardware you can buy and run - you can also afford to choose your mining location to save on power.  

The only way to make mining fair is to implement a system similar to Minerals and make it even harsher on the maximum hash-rate allowed.  If you force the pools to limit everyone to one miner with a maximum hash-rate of say 20 MH/s then you ensure a fairer distribution.  I doubt anyone has the balls to implement anything like that anyway given how much grief the minerals team got for it.

Until then you will always have larger miners who are able to minimise their costs, mining huge volumes of coins and underselling everyone.  They sell their coins straight away and then move on to the next coin - long term viability of the currency is irrelevant to them.

A big problem in crypto generally has been lacklustre leadership and aimless development. I have mined this currency from the beginning and I for one need to see some kind of development with this coin.  Just coasting along silently with no news waiting for things to happen is just not viable.  In addition to this mining alone will never make a successful coin.  Your average person will never bother with it and there is no point in mining something nobody will ever use.  

This coin has managed to get on Bittrex but if I hadn't pushed things forward that would have never happened.  To be honest this kind of stuff should have been sorted out before the coin was even released.  We need a definite plan with deadlines and proper drive behind it or we will end up another forgotten coin.  This requires proper leadership as well as proper PR management - 2 things that I am sorry to say have been lacking so far.

With this in mind, we need a definite document defining what the current plans for MNR are and we need them ASAP within a week if possible -   How awareness will be raised, utility increased, value will be built into the currency etc.  

Part of development (and this has been seen multiple times in crypto) is that there needs to be good communication of goals and innovations in order to reassure both the community and those who are considering investing.

Following this I propose 2 months to see if the plans succeed.  If in 2 months time the value of MNR is significantly higher we proceed with things as they are.  If not we put the POS question to the community in a poll and let the community decide if POS is the future or not.  

I believe if we all get involved in this we can help to take this coin forward but we will need to work hard.

Brokkir I appreciate that you created this coin, however, that does not give you greater ownership of it than the community.  I would suggest you listen to what the community says. You are also going to need to get hungry to succeed.  In a sense you are at the helm of a new kind of business and in order to succeed you will need to be a bit more forward.
Activity: 56
I agree with Brokkir Smiley

I would really like to hear other peoples thoughts on this matter - Braxx, Zedicus, TheRealSteve, djm34 Smiley, SimkoMiner ...

Cayars - alpha and omega of Mjollnircoin - I have a lot of respect for his opinion, perhaps he can elaborate more on the subject.

I will continue to support MNR, whatever path community/team members choose.

Thor bless Mjollnircoin !!!
Pages:
Jump to: