Pages:
Author

Topic: [ANN] Sfards:SF100, the first 28nm Dual-Mode Miner is accepting pre-order now - page 8. (Read 129578 times)

legendary
Activity: 1049
Merit: 1001
More and more coins moving away from scrypt algos

The smart thing to do would be to release affordable asics before people get fed up and deal with the problem with an algo change

alh
legendary
Activity: 1843
Merit: 1050
It seems that you need to plan to sell your miner in the next 3-6 months, and hope that it's value hasn't declined too much. If for some reason a newer/different miner arrives, then that plan blows up big time. And also assume BTC price doesn't decline during those 3-6 months.

You really have to stretch your assumptions to make things work these days, particularly with new gear, expensive, gear.
legendary
Activity: 1378
Merit: 1003
nec sine labore
It's possible to RoI a S7 - if you get one early enough and you have cheap enough electric. Might even be possible in the US, if the diff rate increases flatten out sometime late this year back down from the recent 5% ballpark to 2-3%ish AND if you live in one of 3 counties in Washington State (2 if the diff rate does NOT flatten out this year).

While it may be possible, in theory, I see it as incredibly unlikely to ROI before next halving, at least for "normal" miners like me, if you have a peta-hash farm it is different.

At 4c per kWh if difficulty grows more than 2% per retarget you won't; at 6c you need to be around 1% diff. increase per jump or you won't.

A few more 5% jumps and you're out of luck.

spiccioli

legendary
Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030
It's possible to RoI a S7 - if you get one early enough and you have cheap enough electric. Might even be possible in the US, if the diff rate increases flatten out sometime late this year back down from the recent 5% ballpark to 2-3%ish AND if you live in one of 3 counties in Washington State (2 if the diff rate does NOT flatten out this year).

legendary
Activity: 1378
Merit: 1003
nec sine labore
I think they are only selling big order to large private farms right now they have the technology edge for the moment and they are exploiting it

Their chips are having huge yield issues, I doubt they have sold any apart from the couple they made from their sample chips. The whole "batch 1 sold out" is a marketing gimmick.
Yeah hopefully they will fix their chips and mass produce them with a low failure rate and start pumping out miners and have the price drop.
Not a matter of "fixing their chips".
The 16/14nm chip process node itself is the problem for EVERYONE going to those sizes regardless of what the chips are used for. Intel, nVidia, Samsung et al ALL have the same poor yield issues because the manufacturing process is still far from stable.

This simple fact is why Bitmain took the safer route to just optimize their 28nm chips vs rolling the dice on the smaller nodes.  Give another year or so and yields for 16/14nm *should* get better. Of course researchers/devs at the chip foundries have been saying that for a couple years now...

I would expect bitmain is looking at R/D on lower nm chips.  They have lots of money and people.   They choose to release another 28nm which was the most profitable for them at the moment.  They likely will do it until a competitor forces them to move to a lower NM.

But I think they have the best of both worlds.   Sell 28nm and work on r/d on lower nm for later on.... win win for them.

Exactly, and all those buying S7s (which will never ROI) are footing the bill Wink

spiccioli
legendary
Activity: 3612
Merit: 2506
Evil beware: We have waffles!
I think they are only selling big order to large private farms right now they have the technology edge for the moment and they are exploiting it

Their chips are having huge yield issues, I doubt they have sold any apart from the couple they made from their sample chips. The whole "batch 1 sold out" is a marketing gimmick.
Yeah hopefully they will fix their chips and mass produce them with a low failure rate and start pumping out miners and have the price drop.
The 16/14nm chip process node itself is the problem for EVERYONE going to those sizes regardless of what the chips are used for. Intel, nVidia, Samsung et al ALL have the same poor yield issues because the manufacturing process is still far from stable.

This simple fact is why Bitmain took the safer route to just optimize their 28nm chips vs rolling the dice on the smaller nodes.  Give another year or so and yields for 16/14nm *should* get better. Of course researchers/devs at the chip foundries have been saying that for a couple years now...
I am confused are you saying there are two parts of these chips that are both 14nm making it 28nm, because these are 28nm chips, I wasn't aware that is how they worked.
whoopsy  Grin got thread confused with the LK groups one... https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.12324684 you be right - these are touted as 28nm process, questions then would be is it 2 28nm process dies per-chip or one big one.

On the correct note... 28nm node is stable and easy enough to be good for even some commodity-level quantities. If there is chip problems then highly doubt is is in the mfg end unless they contracted with a company in India (2 20nm fabs, better at 28nm, opened there in the last couple years) or something like that...
legendary

I would expect bitmain is looking at R/D on lower nm chips.  They have lots of money and people.   They choose to release another 28nm which was the most profitable for them at the moment.  They likely will do it until a competitor forces them to move to a lower NM.

But I think they have the best of both worlds.   Sell 28nm and work on r/d on lower nm for later on.... win win for them.
Exactly. For now let others suffer through the 16/14nm birthing process and go for the interim best - optimized 28nm. Gives them at least another 6mo to play with lower node designs while the mfg process (hopefully) becomes more stable.
legendary
Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

I would expect bitmain is looking at R/D on lower nm chips.  They have lots of money and people.   They choose to release another 28nm which was the most profitable for them at the moment.  They likely will do it until a competitor forces them to move to a lower NM.

But I think they have the best of both worlds.   Sell 28nm and work on r/d on lower nm for later on.... win win for them.
legendary

legendary
Maybe the S7 from Bitmain has forced them back to the drawing board???

The S7 is quite a step forward in anyones books... Even if they have sorted how to mine both Sha & script at the same time...

They have a special market with the dual miner aspect.  They are competing against old zeus/hashra/etc, and A2 for the most part.  So it's not new gear they are competing with but old gear.

S7 might bring down the worth of the SHA mining side.  But scrypt the S7 does not compete with this miner on.
Activity: 676
Merit: 501
Maybe the S7 from Bitmain has forced them back to the drawing board???

The S7 is quite a step forward in anyones books... Even if they have sorted how to mine both Sha & script at the same time...
legendary
I heard from reliable source, that somebody will start producing new dual miner with Sfards chips. It should be available by end of October. But I have not more technical info about it

I heard this too..but I think they mean the current SFARDS units....I thought that was when THEY shipped Smiley

I don't know it still would not make sense to me.  If they have "Their chips are having huge yield issues" and don't have enough for their own miners, why would they sell chips to others to make miners before them?

I just think they would use them on SFards miner first before selling enough chips that someone makes miners with.
Activity: 266
Merit: 250
Nearly 3 months since sfards posted any info on their product. 3 months of nothing...... Roll Eyes

73 pages of speculation & guesswork while they mine with their units on their "could" site.

This is a non-product thread.
copper member
Activity: 2898
Merit: 1464
Clueless!
I heard from reliable source, that somebody will start producing new dual miner with Sfards chips. It should be available by end of October. But I have not more technical info about it

I heard this too..but I think they mean the current SFARDS units....I thought that was when THEY shipped Smiley
Activity: 810
Merit: 101
legendary
Activity: 1775
Merit: 1032
Value will be measured in sats
Looks like the SF100 second batch will be mid-August - at the SAME insanely high 8000 yuan price.

I suspect the next batch doing "pre-sale mining, errr testing" might explain the recent Litecoin hash increases and perhaps a small amount of the recent Bitcoin hashrate bump.

I'm confused...mid-august? 8000 rmb is terrible...more like SF-TARDS if you ask me!

What month is this? Lol.

I dunno anymore! It was trippin me out reading this thread when I woke up on the sofa hung over..thought I had slipped into a worm hole and woken up 2 months into the past  Roll Eyes

Where did you get this information?  This could explain a lot if true, but they have not  indicated this.

We have seen what 20 maybe or so go to resellers.  I still think decent chance of a big buyer bought first batch.

It definitely would...also why are they waiting so long before the mass productions? Are there really any big buyers left in the scrypt market? Surely they would make more money selling them off in small quantities to resellers. What scrypt coin is worth mining now since ltc has gone tits up?
legendary

Where did you get this information?  This could explain a lot if true, but they have not  indicated this.

We have seen what 20 maybe or so go to resellers.  I still think decent chance of a big buyer bought first batch.
legendary
Activity: 2117
Merit: 1397

legendary
Activity: 1274
the average life span of a mining company seems to be about 12 months...whatever happened to gridseed?

GridSeed + WiiBox + Diginforce = SFARDS

don't forget to add  Zeus at the end, Zeus and grindseed got together then  it slowly faded away if i find that I'll link it, it all happen about the time or at the time  Zeus did the ripe off thing .

Here we go

https://zeusminer.com/forums/topic/yahoo-finnance-zeushash-announces-gridseed-partnership-thanksgiving-promotion/

I still say Zeus had some thing to do with stopping L1's which left a bad taste in bitmains month and one reason we don't get much more from anyone, they really did a number .

sadly like some one said why  even bro posting it here unless it is for the free advertisement they get  ?

the price is beyond what most here are willing to pay for etc, they know it .

what would be a better place then here ?.

it's free all most any one or every one into bitcoins is here at some point in there day week month etc that includes the Big data centers and knc etc .

or does Sfards aka grindseed pay to post here ? no idea !!! .
legendary
Activity: 1167
Merit: 1009
Pages:
Jump to: