Author

Topic: [ANN] Sia - Decentralized Storage - page 197. (Read 1382196 times)

Activity: 490
Merit: 252
October 03, 2017, 03:52:10 AM
I am - x5 of my buy price
but still having hope with SIA.
project and intention is good. just dumping killing me

Yeah it's been in a yoyo effect for days.
Activity: 422
Merit: 270
October 02, 2017, 08:52:51 PM
That's pretty good news about Duplicati, I'm almost about ready to start using Sia myself (after mining Sia for ~3 months), I just need it to be a bit easier. I don't want to have to have the UI running, plus I have several computers and SAN storage. Would also like it to be easier to buy storage... and it needs to be explained better what exactly I'm buying. If I set an allowance for 5000 Sia, estimated storage fees are 110.51.SC with estimated~20TB storage. Is that per day, per month? Need a better picture of what I'm getting during the buying process w/o having to go read a FAQ. Need the Staples Easy Button.

Check this guide for renting: https://siawiki.tech/renter/using_the_ui_for_renting. The estimated amount of storage you receive for your allowance is for 3 months. It includes auto-renewal by using more funds from your wallet (unless you decide to cancel it).

Dude according to this link you gave me, there will be even more coins..eventually almost 57 billion..how the heack is this going to grow with price?Huh

it's already way too much. Going almost to 30 Billion...it should be the otherway around.

The supply will always increase, as the minimal block reward will be 30000sc. But if you check the inflation chart, that means less and less percentage over the total of coins in circulation every year, below 4% in 2020 for instance. But these predictions do not consider Proof of Burn (it is indicated in the legend at the bottom of the SiaStats link): in a future update hosts will need to burn (removing coins forever) some of their profits to demonstrate they are legit, so the coin can even become deflationary, depending on how many hosts are in the network
Activity: 392
Merit: 100
October 02, 2017, 08:22:42 PM

Does ANYONE know what the MAX/total supply of SIA coin is.. circulating supply is 29 billion. What's the max?

None really, but coins are burned in some transaction so it will level out in a few years: https://siastats.info/supply_inflation.html

Dude according to this link you gave me, there will be even more coins..eventually almost 57 billion..how the heack is this going to grow with price?Huh

it's already way too much. Going almost to 30 Billion...it should be the otherway around.
Activity: 27
Merit: 0
October 02, 2017, 08:20:32 PM
That's pretty good news about Duplicati, I'm almost about ready to start using Sia myself (after mining Sia for ~3 months), I just need it to be a bit easier. I don't want to have to have the UI running, plus I have several computers and SAN storage. Would also like it to be easier to buy storage... and it needs to be explained better what exactly I'm buying. If I set an allowance for 5000 Sia, estimated storage fees are 110.51.SC with estimated~20TB storage. Is that per day, per month? Need a better picture of what I'm getting during the buying process w/o having to go read a FAQ. Need the Staples Easy Button.

How about integration with Synology and ReadyNAS? Path to quick adoption.

Activity: 1181
Merit: 259
October 02, 2017, 06:12:55 PM
is there any good news about SIA, I see there has been no price growth for SIA for 2 months and breakout at 100 satoshi

Yes, the contracts on the system are growing at a good rate: https://siastats.info/total_contracts.html
Activity: 39
October 02, 2017, 05:49:41 PM
is there any good news about SIA, I see there has been no price growth for SIA for 2 months and breakout at 100 satoshi

give it about 2 months

EDIT: Production level cold storage and seed based file recovery.

That should pique some peoples' interests.
Activity: 770
Merit: 251
live the dream but don't live the dream
October 02, 2017, 05:03:54 PM
October 02, 2017, 04:52:03 PM

Does ANYONE know what the MAX/total supply of SIA coin is.. circulating supply is 29 billion. What's the max?

None really, but coins are burned in some transaction so it will level out in a few years: https://siastats.info/supply_inflation.html
Activity: 392
October 02, 2017, 04:40:23 PM

October 02, 2017, 01:19:46 PM

I hear you but it seems to have found a bottom. It went up wait to fast, wait 3 years from now.
legendary
Activity: 1218
Merit: 1001
October 02, 2017, 09:38:40 AM
October 02, 2017, 03:40:45 AM
I'm interested in investing...few quick questions:

1. Can I just buy the coins and hold them and move them to an offline wallet? I dont want to give away my hard drive space.

2. Does SIA have any clients using its services and has SIA published those numbers?

1: You only give away space if you choose to enable hosting. Naturally the blockchain will take some space.

2: No, but there are various places where you can check. Here are the main two: siastats.info siahub.info

In about two months it will be ready for production level cold 3. As well as seed based file recovery. Those are two big decelopments!
October 01, 2017, 11:43:33 PM
To save space on my SSD disk, I want to move the wallet and the blockchain to my external hard disc. Where is the blockchain data located and how do I change its directory? I am using Windows. Thanks in advance.

If you are using the last version 1.3, the blockchain is inside the installation folder (the one you uncompressed for installing Sia), so you can just move the entire installation folder somewhere else. There are also some folders stored in %Appdata% (/users/your_user/appdata/roaming/Sia-UI) but they are actually very small and should not be moved, or otherwise the client will "forget" your current wallet and even lose files if you are hosting or renting.

The blockchain is is inside %Appdata% (/users/your_user/appdata/roaming/Sia-UI). I deleted it and updated to 1.3. But it still tries to download the blockchain on my SSD dist. What can I do?

This will work for any coin/app/game, regardless of which options they allow.

You must create a symbolic junction. This is very easy and I will cover it below. We will use C:\SiaCoin as the old and D:\NewSiaPath as the new folder, so as to make it simple and readable.

1: Close all instances of the program
2: Back up the folder
3: Copy to new location
4: Delete original folder
5: Start a dos box (cmd)
6: Type the following command: mklink /J "C:\SiaCoin" "D:\NewSiaPath"

Remember to change the paths - 'C:\Users\INSERT_YOUR_USERNAME_HERE\AppData\Roaming\Sia-UI' is the default path.

This is at the file-system level, so anything that tries to access the old path will automatically be redirected to the new one.

Works for ANYTHING, as I said at the start. Any coin/app/game/whatever.
October 01, 2017, 02:46:49 PM
Is it true that, the SIA prize has to be relatively low to get wider adoption and make it a success?If the prize of SIA goes high, then it becomes expensive to store and people will revert o traditional centralised storage which are cheaper.

No, hosts decide their own pricing in Siacoin for storing data, and they adjust it to dollar prices. So the market value of the coin does not affect the pricing of the storage: If the coin goes up, hosts reduce the pricing, as they are competing with storage services as Amazon or Azure (that ask for a pricing in dollars)
Activity: 364
Merit: 250
dinkimole nokkalle...
October 01, 2017, 01:14:08 PM
It feels like SIA has found it's floor above 100 sats and will go sideways for a bit until the next bull cycle which will probably be accompanied by some news and announcements.

Yeah agree. Will moon next bull cycle.
Is it true that, the SIA prize has to be relatively low to get wider adoption and make it a success?If the prize of SIA goes high, then it becomes expensive to store and people will revert o traditional centralised storage which are cheaper.
Activity: 42
October 01, 2017, 09:16:57 AM
I hope this coin recovers
I wanted to sync but it takes a long time
another way to sync?

Yes there is another way. See here: https://siawiki.tech/daemon/bootstrapping_the_blockchain
Activity: 349
October 01, 2017, 09:13:02 AM
I hope this coin recovers
I wanted to sync but it takes a long time
another way to sync?
Activity: 110
Merit: 10
October 01, 2017, 05:13:31 AM
It feels like SIA has found it's floor above 100 sats and will go sideways for a bit until the next bull cycle which will probably be accompanied by some news and announcements.

Yeah agree. Will moon next bull cycle.
September 30, 2017, 12:51:12 PM
Based on the current price on 110 sat, is it profitable to host some files considering the costs associated with hardware and electricity, maintenance and others? Waiting for new news.
The storage pricing is independent of the value of Siacoin, as hosts decide their own pricing, and they adjust it to dollar prices.

Hosting can be profitable if you choose carefully your hardware. NAS-grade disks can be bought by $25/TB, currently hosts are getting $1-1.5/Tb/month. So that is a ROI under 2 years (if they fill their disks with contracts), and considering those disks will last 5 or more years, it is not a bad business. Electricity costs are almost irrelevant, as an optimal disk will draw less than 3W

Anxiously awaiting the Obelisk update which 2 weeks ago was stated to be released in a "couple of weeks".

Really? I thought release date was May 2018 or something like that
The release date is June 2018 or earlier, but they stated they would write an update about the design and manufacturing process this week or next week
Activity: 2604
Merit: 326
September 30, 2017, 03:30:57 AM
Anxiously awaiting the Obelisk update which 2 weeks ago was stated to be released in a "couple of weeks".

Really? I thought release date was May 2018 or something like that
Jump to: